PDA

View Full Version : Dancewear stores

ChrisA
4th-February-2004, 01:16 PM
Can anyone suggest, or even better, recommend any dancewear stores in the London area?

TIA,
Chris

David Franklin
4th-February-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Can anyone suggest, or even better, recommend any dancewear stores in the London area?What are you looking for? Shoes, costumes, practice wear?

In practical terms, maybe you don't need to choose a shop. There's a "cluster" of stores near Covent Garden / Drury Lane - Bloch, Freed, Dancia (+ others I can't remember the name of), so it's relatively easy to visit several and try for yourself. Freed is pretty ballet orientated, but the people there are very knowledgable and helpful - last time I was there they were happy to suggest other stores when they didn't have what I wanted.

Have also been very pleased with Wear Moi (mail order) for outfits for Bryony - they actually "make to measure" so you can get something that really fits.

Dave

ChrisA
4th-February-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin
What are you looking for? Shoes, costumes, practice wear?

In practical terms, maybe you don't need to choose a shop. There's a "cluster" of stores near Covent Garden / Drury Lane - Bloch, Freed, Dancia (+ others I can't remember the name of), so it's relatively easy to visit several and try for yourself.
Thanks Dave, this sounds like a good area to start looking. Costumes was what I mostly had in mind, though shoes maybe too.

Chris

Jayne
4th-February-2004, 02:53 PM
Costumes was what I mostly had in mind, though shoes maybe too.
:what: Is there something you would like to share with your fellow forumites Chris? :wink: I think maybe Bill, Trampy et al all are all familiar with the issues and could help you with your "problem".

J :wink: :hug:

Paul F
4th-February-2004, 05:33 PM
Last time I went to Bloch on Drury Lane I noticed that there was much in the way of ladies dance outfits but nothing much in the way of mens.
Their shoes are much cheaper than any mail order shop though.

Jon L
4th-February-2004, 06:39 PM
For clothing I just look at high street shops most of the time.

The only time I'd want to get something matching to a lady would be if we were doing a competition when points get awarded for
dress etc.

Shoes I wait til the stomp or camber when Boogie steps are in.

By the way I am just about to throw out my first pair f dance trainers, which have been suitably worn.

Tiggerbabe
4th-February-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks Dave, this sounds like a good area to start looking. Costumes was what I mostly had in mind, though shoes maybe too.

Chris
Felix Dancewear also do made to order stuff - so if you've a design of your own they can sort it out for you.
Excellent service again, from Brian and the crew - Heather Mac and I have had a couple of things(well, ok a few :wink: ) made up for double trouble and they are very quick and reasonably priced. They'll send out swatches of material for you to choose from if you need them. :hug:
Although, often the high street stores have lots of fun stuff too.

Oh dear! don't tell me, I've got to go shopping again *sheesh*

Paul F
3rd-May-2004, 08:05 PM
Im hoping someone might be able to clear this up for me so i resurrected this thread.

I want a pair of black formal trousers that are cut especially for dancing (or activity in general). Essentially with a 34 inch waist but with a wider cut leg.
At present I have to buy trousers that are 2/3 sizes too big to get a nice wide cut in the leg and with a belt pulling them in they wear very uncomfortably.

Ive been talking to the people at my salsa classes and they say there are 'salsa pants' but funnily enough noone knows where from!!

Have any of you guys (or ladies) seen or know of any such miraculous inventions and maybe where to get them :confused: :confused:

Would really appreciate any help.

Gadget
3rd-May-2004, 09:22 PM
I was looking for a seamstress to make me a pair of trousers, but all the ones I know (or have had recommended to me) only really do wedding dresses and ballgowns. {and I'm not quite up/down to Andy's level yet :wink:}
I think I will just have to get the sewing machine out myself :sick:

When you want something specific, I would recommend getting it tailored - or at altered so that it's properly fitted once you buy it.

Paul F
3rd-May-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
I was looking for a seamstress to make me a pair of trousers, but all the ones I know (or have had recommended to me) only really do wedding dresses and ballgowns. {and I'm not quite up/down to Andy's level yet :wink:}
I think I will just have to get the sewing machine out myself :sick:

When you want something specific, I would recommend getting it tailored - or at altered so that it's properly fitted once you buy it.

Thanks for that gadget. Was thinking about a seamstress but, as you say, they will probably more ladies fashions.
All the way down to London and back for the champs, I have been listening to "how women are far superior to men" conversations :tears: Looks like they have done it again. Oh well, will keep looking :grin:

(andof course we know this is not true - but i just let them say it anyway :blush: )

Alfie
4th-May-2004, 12:02 AM
Try Costom Clothes, Jenny has some lovely off the rail stuff and can make anything to order. We sell high waisted swing pants for Torr (rockbottoms) which are very comfortable to dance in. I,ve had trousers made in the past, I cant find her details at the moment but will look it out in the next couple of days and post it.
Try Federicos Argentinian Tango dance site they do some very stylish dance wear for men. Also some of the Latin/salsa dance sites have gents clothing sections. The style of trousers you are after sounds like an oxford bagg style wich are still available from most proper gentlemens outfitters, like lounge suit triousers.
Happy hunting.

Gareth
4th-May-2004, 12:35 AM
Try Costom Clothes, Jenny has some lovely off the rail stuff and can make anything to order

Jill & I have had two outfits made to measure by Jenny @ Custom Clothes. I can recommend her. I was looking for a pair of high waisted trousers and all I could find was a pair of bog standard black from a mail order company. ( £120 from a ballroom dance site).

Jenny made me a pair of white silk ones which were made to measure and a lot cheaper.

We`ve had alot of positive feed back from other dancers on our outfits. :cheers:

Nick M
4th-May-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
I was looking for a seamstress to make me a pair of trousers, but all the ones I know (or have had recommended to me) only really do wedding dresses and ballgowns.

Just popping into this thread to mention a good friend of mine who does dancewear to order and is based in Newcastle (relevant for you northerners - though she also does what she calls "distance sewing" ie taking orders from elsewhere). Her name is Molly Moore and can be reached on mollymoore111 at hotmail dot com

Paul F
4th-May-2004, 09:41 AM
Excellent, thanks guys. Will look into all of those.
:cheers:

Andy McGregor
4th-May-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Paul F
I want a pair of black formal trousers that are cut especially for dancing (or activity in general). Essentially with a 34 inch waist but with a wider cut leg.

I know that Tor is having trousers designed for jive made to measure. You can contact her through the RockBottoms website here. (http://www.jivelive.com/rockbottoms/index.htm)

I've never had any made myself but Nigel Anderson says they're fab! I'm not sure about the price but I remember thinking it was about the same as a pair of decent off-the-peg trousers.

Hope this helps.

Andy

p.s. When you have a classic supermodel figure like me you can get your frocks off-the-peg too:wink:

Paul F
4th-May-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor

p.s. When you have a classic supermodel figure like me you can get your frocks off-the-peg too:wink:

:rofl: So I hear Andy !! Unfortunately I havnt been fortunate to witness this first hand yet :sad: but maybe soon :D

Thanks for the tip!