PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

spindr
3rd-February-2004, 02:41 PM
My dance trainers are just starting to show their age -- can anyone recommend a brand suitable for the wider male foot (feet).

I've always found Bloch's a bit too narrow -- my last pair were Capezzio's, but it seems that they've narrowed the soles since I bought my old pair (at least it felt that way when I tried to buy some on Saturday).

Oh well, at least I managed to get a nice pair of ballroom shoes.

SpinDr.
(the wannabe Imelda Marcos of Modern Jive).

Lynn
3rd-February-2004, 02:57 PM
This isn't an answer to the query but seemed like a timely thread as I spent my lunch hour in a dance shoe shop trying on loads of pairs and I have the opposite problem - all the ladies shoes I tried were too wide. This was in the only dance shoe shop locally so there is no-where else for me to look.

So another shoe related query - can anyone recommend a mail order option with narrow fitting ladies shoes?

Thanks!
Lynn

TheTramp
3rd-February-2004, 03:02 PM
I have really wide feet too, and have been wearing Sansha trainers for the last couple of years, and always found them to be really comfortable.

And they come in such pretty colours too :D

Steve

Gus
3rd-February-2004, 03:07 PM
Try emailing the Kingdom of Dance bunch for suggestions/advice.

Bill
3rd-February-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
So another shoe related query - can anyone recommend a mail order option with narrow fitting ladies shoes?

Thanks!
Lynn

And Fran would appreciate any info too as she has pretty narrow feet but doesn't like dancing in heels. ( that's my job :na: :wink: )

Neil
4th-February-2004, 01:39 AM
So another shoe related query - can anyone recommend a mail order option with narrow fitting ladies shoes? Hi Lynn,

I don't know much about ladies' shoes, narrow-fitting or otherwise, but I can recommend Supadance (http://www.supadance.com/) as an excellent source of dance shoes.

(Unfortunately, a cursory glance at some of the ladies' shoes reveals that the width options seem to be either "regular" or "wide" - no mention of "narrow" :tears: ).

Neil

Lory
4th-February-2004, 01:51 AM
Have a look at this site, they seem to have a very wide range!

Lot's of different width fittings!

I've not ordered any though, so I don't know what they're like!

see here (http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/) :grin: Good luck!

Tiggerbabe
4th-February-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Neil
I don't know much about ladies' shoes, narrow-fitting or otherwise, but I can recommend Supadance (http://www.supadance.com/) as an excellent source of dance shoes.

Supadance are brilliant Neil, excellent service - the last 3 pairs I have bought have been from them, including the fantastically silver, silver ones - oh and did I mention that they were silver? :wink:

Petal
4th-February-2004, 11:55 AM
This isn't an answer to the query but seemed like a timely thread as I spent my lunch hour in a dance shoe shop trying on loads of pairs and I have the opposite problem - all the ladies shoes I tried were too wide. This was in the only dance shoe shop locally so there is no-where else for me to look.

Thanks!
Lynn

Try Supadance on the Web. They have a huge range of different shoes and will deliver within a week.

Emma
4th-February-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Supadance are brilliant Neil, excellent service - the last 3 pairs I have bought have been from them, including the fantastically silver, silver ones - oh and did I mention that they were silver? :wink: Sorry Sheena, think I'm missing something here...did you quite like the colour of them? :hug:

Lynn
4th-February-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Hi Lynn,

(Unfortunately, a cursory glance at some of the ladies' shoes reveals that the width options seem to be either "regular" or "wide" - no mention of "narrow" :tears: ).

Neil

Thanks, had a quick look at the website, saw some pairs I liked the look of, will look again later ('working' at the moment, just having coffee break!)

The guy in the shop yesterday also mentioned that a lot of manufacturers do regular and wide, no narrow options. (I find this problem with jeans too, regular and long, and I'm only 5'2" so I have to take them up, unfortunately you can't take shoes in.)

I'll check out those other sites too. Thanks for the advice guys :cheers:

Lynn

Lynn
4th-February-2004, 12:23 PM
Supadance are brilliant Neil, excellent service - the last 3 pairs I have bought have been from them, including the fantastically silver, silver ones - oh and did I mention that they were silver? :wink:

Hmmm, theres a thought, silver shoes would match some of my sparkly tops!

spindr
4th-February-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I have really wide feet too, and have been wearing Sansha trainers for the last couple of years, and always found them to be really comfortable.

Cheers, thanks for the suggestion --- now off to find a stockist.

SpinDr.

fruitcake
4th-February-2004, 02:12 PM

I saw your beloved silver shoes last night sheena-yes I can vouch they are lovely!
Nice meeting you by the way!!
Fruitcake

Mary
4th-February-2004, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, theres a thought, silver shoes would match some of my sparkly tops!

Did someone mention sparkly?:eek:

Quick, Pammy, Diva, Andy someone said the "S" word.

If it's sparkle you want a place called "Heavenly Dance Shoes" will make shoes for you in any colour, style, heel etc. And they can do sparkle big time. :yum: :yum: They also do mail order.

M

Lynn
4th-February-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mary

Quick, Pammy, Diva, Andy someone said the "S" word.

If it's sparkle you want a place called "Heavenly Dance Shoes" will make shoes for you in any colour, style, heel etc. And they can do sparkle big time. :yum: :yum: They also do mail order.

M
Sounds great but probably a lot more expensive :tears: Do they have a website?

Lynn

Mary
4th-February-2004, 05:00 PM
Sounds great but probably a lot more expensive :tears: Do they have a website?

Lynn

They are about the same price as off the shelf, between about 45 and 60 pounds. AND with padded soles. www.heavenlydanceshoes.com

M

Lynn
4th-February-2004, 05:10 PM
They are about the same price as off the shelf, between about 45 and 60 pounds. AND with padded soles. www.heavenlydanceshoes.com

M
Thanks! :cheers: That's affordable, I'll take a look at that site.

Checked out another shop here in my afternoon break, only had ballroom, designed to give extra friction on the polished floors, don't think that would work too well with spinning.

Martin
4th-February-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks! :cheers: That's affordable, I'll take a look at that site.

Checked out another shop here in my afternoon break, only had ballroom, designed to give extra friction on the polished floors, don't think that would work too well with spinning.

Girls over here tend to go for 3 types of sole - leather, suade and toepi.

Toepi being the most popular with the experienced dancer - can be added to any shoe.

Mary
4th-February-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Martin
Girls over here tend to go for 3 types of sole - leather, suade and toepi.

Toepi being the most popular with the experienced dancer - can be added to any shoe.

What's toepi?

M

Martin
4th-February-2004, 05:42 PM
What's toepi?

M

All serious comp dancers use this in Aussie, for grip and spin.

Me a male, not too clued up, but happy to ask...

Maybe some others (female) know the secret?

the word is - we are going to get toepi, then OK on any dance floor...

Gary
5th-February-2004, 12:37 AM
What's toepi?

M

From http://www.johnroberts.co.nz/services.htm

Topy Protective Soles
Designed to triple the life of your shoes and also prevent you from slipping, a layer of thin flexible hardwearing rubber nylon is placed on the soles of shoes. Recommended for new shoes or near new.

I believe it gives a similar grip to the Bloch dance sneakers. I prefer suede except on really slippery floors.

Martin
5th-February-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Gary
From http://www.johnroberts.co.nz/services.htm

Topy Protective Soles
Designed to triple the life of your shoes and also prevent you from slipping, a layer of thin flexible hardwearing rubber nylon is placed on the soles of shoes. Recommended for new shoes or near new.

I believe it gives a similar grip to the Bloch dance sneakers. I prefer suede except on really slippery floors.

Thanks Gary - It looks like suade (greyish), reason so poular, can never guarantee the floor surface and still easy to spin with.

Girls being girls, shoes have to match outfit + all shoes must be the same and imported from the UK !!! - So you only get one shot and topy is the go...

Mary
5th-February-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks Gary - It looks like suade (greyish), reason so poular, can never guarantee the floor surface and still easy to spin with.

Girls being girls, shoes have to match outfit + all shoes must be the same and imported from the UK !!! - So you only get one shot and topy is the go...

I'll have to check it out. Saves taking about 6 pairs of shoes to a dance venue because you don't know what condition the floor will be in!!!

But as Trampy says - "you can never have too many dance shoes"

:cheers:

M

Lynn
5th-February-2004, 02:39 PM
It looks like suade (greyish), reason so poular, can never guarantee the floor surface and still easy to spin with.
The shoes I looked at yesterday all had suede soles, the man in the shop said this was for grip on polished floors (for ballroom), but our MJ venue does not have a polished floor and the MJ/salsa evenings are hotel/club venues. I thought the suede soles would give me too much grip and make spinning more difficult and I should go for a leather sole? Would this be correct? (I was also told that anywhere there might be alcohol spilled on the floor would ruin the suede soles and that might be the case in some of the venues).

I appreciate the advice and wisdom of other forumites - thanks guys!
:cheers:

Bill
6th-February-2004, 01:41 AM

M

Must let Laura know.....once of Aberdeen fame and now resident down round manchester....... another 'sparkly' girl.:D

Martin
6th-February-2004, 07:56 PM
The shoes I looked at yesterday all had suede soles, the man in the shop said this was for grip on polished floors (for ballroom), but our MJ venue does not have a polished floor and the MJ/salsa evenings are hotel/club venues. I thought the suede soles would give me too much grip and make spinning more difficult and I should go for a leather sole? Would this be correct? (I was also told that anywhere there might be alcohol spilled on the floor would ruin the suede soles and that might be the case in some of the venues).

Yup, with Alcohol spills suade and topy don't mix too well - Jazz soles (a type of plastic) or leather would be best if you are intending to attempt spins on alcohol spills :sick:

Lynn
4th-May-2004, 12:16 PM
Back on the shoes topic again – haven’t ordered any over the internet yet as I am hard to fit in shoes, will possibly wait ages for shoes, then have to send them back for a different size… hoping I can get to somewhere to try shoes on so at least I know what size I wear in what brand…

Anyway, reason for question – in the meantime, I had thought of putting a better sole on a pair of black shoes that I have had for ages and are relatively comfortable. What sort of sole should I get? Leather? Suede? I had thought if I get leather on these, then try to buy a suede soled pair of dance shoes and a pair of dance trainers at some point in the near future?

Tiggerbabe
4th-May-2004, 12:57 PM
Lynn, I'm pretty sure that David said Kingdom of Dance were going to be at Southport - so bring your credit card with you :wink:

I'd go for putting a leather sole on your shoes as you would then still be able to use them once you get your new dance ones.

I am now the proud owner of powder blue stealth dance trainers - :drool: :drool: and hopefully will get my red suede shoes in Southport - can't wait :yum: :yum:

Lynn
4th-May-2004, 01:27 PM
Lynn, I'm pretty sure that David said Kingdom of Dance were going to be at Southport - so bring your credit card with you :wink:

I'd go for putting a leather sole on your shoes as you would then still be able to use them once you get your new dance ones.

Sounds good! Will definitely bring my credit card and buy at least one pair in Southport!! :grin:

The shoes I already have are old, comfy and passable so I will go for the leather soles on them - need something to dance in on Fri night and the soles are really a bit scruffy.

Another reason to look forward to Southport! :clap:

Zebra Woman
4th-May-2004, 03:18 PM
I have only a couple of pairs of shoes one leather soled, one suede. I have Capezio dance trainers , but I find them tiring as it takes more effort to spin in them. Are the bloc ones faster?

The leather sole is great if the floor isn't clean, and I do walk outside in them for a short distance if it's dry.

The suede soles I try to look after. I only wear them indoors on a clean floor. They started off slow for spinning, it took a month before the suede sole morphed into something hard and shiny ( I deliberately didn't brush them). They now have a really really fast smooth sole. If the floor is treacherously smooth I still find the suede works better than leather. For me it seems easier to accelerate into a spin in them, and it's easier to slow down at the end. And leans don't lead to slithering down the man's side.

But I see Lily brushing her suede soles and think...she must be right..what do I know????:sick: Should I be brushing?

Once a month I scrape off gunk from the soles using a kitchen knife!:grin: ( Not so bad now I've stopped doing Rock'n' Roll and Salsa)

Top tip, to avoid sore feet I add in Clarks foam insoles as soon as they will fit in, and I switch shoes half way through the night. Because A CHANGE IS MUCH BETTER THAN A REST!

I suppose this is shoe abuse....I'm sure someone's going to tell me:sick:

DavidB
4th-May-2004, 03:39 PM
I bought a pair of dance sneakers at Camber and glued suede soles onto them. They take a bit of maintenance keeping the soles attached, but they are well worth it. I get the comfort of dance sneakers and the combination of grip & slide from the suede. I wish I'd done it years ago!

David

Minnie M
4th-May-2004, 03:44 PM
Sue McGregor picked up a flyer about a company that sprays sparkle on shoes :D

Very good way of keeping those tired shoes AND get sparklies at the same time:clap:

Gary
5th-May-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Zebra Woman
... I have Capezio dance trainers , but I find them tiring as it takes more effort to spin in them. Are the bloc ones faster?

I've got Bloch dance trainers. I find them too grippy on any floor not ridiculously fast, and my knees hurt if I spin in them too much.

The suede soles I try to look after. I only wear them indoors on a clean floor. They started off slow for spinning, it took a month before the suede sole morphed into something hard and shiny ( I deliberately didn't brush them). They now have a really really fast smooth sole. If the floor is treacherously smooth I still find the suede works better than leather. For me it seems easier to accelerate into a spin in them, and it's easier to slow down at the end. And leans don't lead to slithering down the man's side.

But I see Lily brushing her suede soles and think...she must be right..what do I know????:sick: Should I be brushing?

I suspect that if you don't keep the suede clean-ish, it'll wear out faster (like dirt in carpet or something). I clean mine every time I dance (or they end up too fast for me).

One tip I got from the place I bought my suede soles was to use (rough) sandpaper instead of a suede brush. It does seem to work better/faster (for me).

Minnie M
5th-May-2004, 02:24 AM
If you have suede soled shoes you MUST carry a wire brush with you at all times

A tip from Boogie Woogie Champ Barble (of Marcus & Barble) she rubs her leather soled shoes with a candle :really:

Pink Lady
5th-May-2004, 04:36 PM
Wow! All this great info on shoes is just a shoe-holics dream!:nice: I did wonder about brushing my suede soles ...... I think I'll give the sandpaper a go. I got a lovely pair of Freed Milano nubuc suede soled shoes recently and they are fab!! Only trouble wa, I only read the tip about nubuc scuffing easily AFTER I had ordered them! Thanks for that. So question is: any tips for keeping the nubuc all nice and new looking without wearing a hole in the leather from brushing them?
Sheena, I agree about the powder blue stealth trainers being lovely, I'm rather fond of mine too.:flower:

Zebra Woman
5th-May-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
If you have suede soled shoes you MUST carry a wire brush with you at all times

Thanks for the tip Minnie, I will start brushing my next pair of suede soles.
I think my current pair is beyond redemption, and I'm kind of attatched to how fast they are.:grin:

DavidB
5th-May-2004, 10:15 PM
To clean Nubuck uppers, the best thing you can get is a WOLY Cleaning Sponge (http://www.melvo.de/melvo.com/produkte/velour.html).

To brush Suede dance soles, get a proper brush eg from Supadance (http://www.supadance.com/acatalog/Supadance_Sole_Brush__41.html). (The ones with the cover are a lot better.)

Suede brushes that you get from normal shoe shops are too coarse for Nubuck leather uppers, and not strong enough to do the soles.

Pink Lady
6th-May-2004, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the advice David, :flower: Now I see why you are called The Oracle!:D

L

under par
6th-May-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
].

To brush Suede dance soles, get a proper brush eg from Supadance (http://www.supadance.com/acatalog/Supadance_Sole_Brush__41.html). (The ones with the cover are a lot better.)

will give them a try, still wearing trainers because my suede soles too slick:really:

Lynn
21st-May-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks Sheena, I did that! Got a pair of Bloch trainers on the Fri night - thought I would need to break them in (so first wore them for the Slow and Sensual class) but they were comfy right from the start. I'm really pleased with them.

Tiggerbabe
21st-May-2004, 06:33 PM
:clap: :clap:

Unfortunately my red shoes have still not arrived from Germany (or wherever) - *fingers crossed* they might arrive in time for the Glasgow "Showtime" weekend.

Jive Brummie
21st-May-2004, 10:26 PM
At Southport last week, I bought a pair of Capulet dance sneakers. Had never seen or heard of them before. But after taking the plunge, they were bought and found to be fantastic. A trainer with a completely smooth sole, that looks cool on your trotter..............and they don't have a designated spin spot like other shoes, which is good for me as my spinning is inconsistent to say the least..........

Strongly recommend them......... Ta very much Kingdom of Dance.......

James x x

Barry Shnikov
22nd-May-2004, 12:03 AM
What's toepi?

M

It's a pi made of toes.

I had roasted pigs trotter once...

Barry Shnikov
22nd-May-2004, 12:06 AM
The shoes I looked at yesterday all had suede soles, the man in the shop said this was for grip on polished floors (for ballroom)

He can't have been a dancer. What happens with suede soles is that the become impacted and shiny, and they end up like a very smooth leather, and great for spinning. The 'grip' that might automatically come to mind when you think of suede lasts about one dance...

I see that some people brush their suede soles - I find it difficult to imagine that that can be too effective unless you brush after every other dance number...way too much effort.

kriss
22nd-May-2004, 12:41 AM
I totally agree, great for one dance, then seems like a leather sole.
What puts me off is the fact u cant wear them outside:mad:

they just get ruined

Barry Shnikov
22nd-May-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by kriss
I totally agree, great for one dance, then seems like a leather sole.
What puts me off is the fact u cant wear them outside:mad:

Actually, they aren't like leather soles; I danced in leather soles and they are more sticky than suede; and as for not wearing them outside - isn't that the point, to have shoes which are only for the dance floor??:what:

DavidB
22nd-May-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Barry Shnikov
What happens with suede soles is that the become impacted and shiny, and they end up like a very smooth leather, and great for spinning. The 'grip' that might automatically come to mind when you think of suede lasts about one dance... They become shiny from picking up dirt/wax/polish from the floor. On a clean floor I wouldn't have to brush them all night. Unfortunately clean floors seem to be an exception in modern jive - certainly in and around London.

Ballroom & Latin dancers wear them because they offer the best balance between grip and ability to slide. Plus they have their teachers saying that "it is not the shoes to blame when you slip, but the technique".

David

Tiggerbabe
2nd-June-2004, 12:45 AM

Unfortunately my red shoes have still not arrived from Germany (or wherever) - *fingers crossed* they might arrive in time for the Glasgow "Showtime" weekend.
And they have, they arrived today (well yesterday!) and they are gorgeous and red , really RED :drool: :drool: :grin:

Martin
2nd-June-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
At Southport last week, I bought a pair of Capulet dance sneakers. Had never seen or heard of them before. But after taking the plunge, they were bought and found to be fantastic. A trainer with a completely smooth sole, that looks cool on your trotter..............and they don't have a designated spin spot like other shoes, which is good for me as my spinning is inconsistent to say the least..........

Strongly recommend them......... Ta very much Kingdom of Dance.......

James x x

Yup got some myself as well, after Robert (Aussie, as in R & N)reccomended them - so cool :cheers:

Also had a new pair of black and reds made up with topey bottoms - absolutely fab...

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-June-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
..............and they don't have a designated spin spot like other shoes,

Shoes have a designated spin spot ? :what:

oops, I should maybe look for that :)

Emma
2nd-June-2004, 09:30 AM
And they have, they arrived today (well yesterday!) and they are gorgeous and red , really RED I want those shoes, and I will make it my business to hunt them down, steal them and..er...stretch them a bit :)

Forte
2nd-June-2004, 09:43 AM
And they have, they arrived today (well yesterday!) and they are gorgeous and red , really RED :drool: :drool: :grin:

You will be wanting a red feather boa to go with those shoes, missy, woncha! (Strangely, I have one!!!!) :flower:

Lou
2nd-June-2004, 12:51 PM

:what: :drool: :what:

errmmmm.... what size are they? :innocent:

jivecat
1st-July-2004, 05:13 PM
I've recently noticed that my ugly as sin but very comfy Bloch dance sneakers have both developed huge splits across the sole area next to the spin spot. If they weren't flexible before they certainly are now. They have had about a year of fairly relentless wear. Has any one else had this problem?

Emma
1st-July-2004, 05:16 PM
Yes, I have, but the replacements (also blochs, same size, but not leather) I bought are bizarrely uncomfortable so despite my now two year old blochs being beaten up as hell and falling apart from inside and the out I continue to wear those!

Lou
2nd-July-2004, 08:50 AM
I've recently noticed that my ugly as sin but very comfy Bloch dance sneakers have both developed huge splits across the sole area next to the spin spot. If they weren't flexible before they certainly are now. They have had about a year of fairly relentless wear. Has any one else had this problem?:yeah: Me too. And I wore them far less than that.

btw... Sheena - how are the red shoes doing? You were far more patient than I was. I came off the waiting list after 6 months... :wink:

latinlover
2nd-July-2004, 01:31 PM
They are about the same price as off the shelf, between about 45 and 60 pounds. AND with padded soles. www.heavenlydanceshoes.com (http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/)

Mmrs latinlover has had six,seven..eight pairs:really: from Heavenly and clearly would recommend them
I don't think they do trainers to measure ,but if you want "proper"shoes they can customise styles and sizes to suit
mrs LL has very narrow feet ,so she has length one size with width from smaller size
choice of styles & colours and finishes is limited only by your imagination. There is also a choice of heel
I have had two pairs myself (don't feel the need for variety like the ladies!)and they have also been sized to suit, my choice of skin and heel -and of course choice of sole(hate suede always go for rubber)
I expect my next pair at a substantial discount ,guys!!!!:whistle: :D

Whitebeard
17th-August-2004, 11:13 PM
A practical look at mens' shoes

Now that the dancing is coming along just that little bit, I'm giving a some thought as to what shoes might best facillitate my efforts and yet pamper the beat up feet and slightly crock knee.

Believe it or not, I'm presently using an oldish pair of ordinary gym shoes (pumps, daps, whatever colloquial name goes in your area). I like them for their lightness, flexibility, and relative coolness. However, they embarrassed me a a local venue the other week where my gyrations were audibly accompanied by constant high pitched squeaks .... and I guess they also give highly visual signals as to my lowly Cerocworld status. ["Look at that silly old bugger !" ].

I've never been partial to trainers, clumpy, garish, over-styled, sweaty, and fiendishly expensive.

However, I've become aware of split-sole dance sneakers which can be obtained in a restrained black, have thick cushiony soles and heels (the extra height would be usefull with all those tall modern young ladies), can have a (hopefully) cool mesh upper, by definition should be ultra-flexible, and to cap it all have spot for the spinning I would like to develop.

Unfortunately they do look a bit clumpy, have a definite look of a Cuban heel (and all that says about the vertically challenged), make a statement about dancing ability which I cannot possible fullfil, would make dancing with my favourite five foot nothinger even more of a challenge, and, worst of all, that cushioning might encourage and exagerate the dreaded "bounce".

What do I do ???

MartinHarper
18th-August-2004, 12:22 AM
The guy at my local shop suggested that the "spinning spot" was a marketing thing, and that the grip there wasn't particularly higher or lower than anywhere else. People say they make spinning easier, but perhaps for other reasons?

Mine are a pair of non-clumpy Bloch Stealths, in "restrained black". Nobody has commented on them - so presumably they're not making absurd statements about my dancing skills...

spindr
18th-August-2004, 01:02 AM
I often dance in ballroom shoes -- just a lightweight men's shoe with a suede(-like) sole. These are great cause they stretch well -- look mostly like a normal shoe (as long as you don't pick the patent leather ones) -- and because the sole's quite thin you can get a really good "connection" with the floor. Oh, and they work well on less slippery floors, and still look good with a tux'.

I also dance in dance trainers -- they make a nice change -- and the extra cushioning sometimes is useful. The soles are thicker and not really pliable so you can't necessarily get such a good grounding. However, they're better then ballroom shoes for moves with "heels", or for a more hiphop style. They work well if the floor's quick.

SpinDr.

Tiggerbabe
18th-August-2004, 10:26 AM
Mrs Dance Demon's shoes at the Scottish Competition on Saturday - much respect :worthy: :worthy: :drool:
Red and very sparkly - unfortunately, no photos :tears:

jivecat
18th-August-2004, 10:53 AM
Following Lory's link on page 1 (Ta, Lory) I've discovered a Bloch 539 lookalike costing only £39.95. The website is www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/ and the brand name is Rummos. Seeing as the Blochs fall apart anyway there doesn't seem to be much to lose by trying a cheaper alternative. This website has the best value shoes of any that I've seen so far, quality looks ok as far as you can tell from the photographs.
By the way, what happens if you order by mail order and you don't like them or they don't fit? I'm a fussy bu*g*r and won't want them if they're not exactly right.

Lynn
18th-August-2004, 11:35 AM
Following Lory's link on page 1 (Ta, Lory) I've discovered a Bloch 539 lookalike costing only £39.95. The website is www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/ and the brand name is Rummos. Seeing as the Blochs fall apart anyway there doesn't seem to be much to lose by trying a cheaper alternative. This website has the best value shoes of any that I've seen so far, quality looks ok as far as you can tell from the photographs.
By the way, what happens if you order by mail order and you don't like them or they don't fit? I'm a fussy bu*g*r and won't want them if they're not exactly right. Anyone else tried the Rummos shoes? I have dance trainers but would be interested in how the sizes are in the ladies shoes. Nowhere to buy here in NI and would like a nice 'smart' pair.

Whitebeard
18th-August-2004, 11:47 AM
Red and very sparkly .....

No, not for me ..... I get enough funny looks as it is.

So glad no-one suggested carpet slippers ..... though they're fine cavorting round the kitchen.

Whitebeard
18th-August-2004, 11:55 AM
Mine are a pair of non-clumpy Bloch Stealths, in "restrained black". Nobody has commented on them - so presumably they're not making absurd statements about my dancing skills...

I wondered about those but the illustrations I've seen probably don't do them justice. I'll spend tonight looking at feet.

Tiggerbabe
18th-August-2004, 12:28 PM
I wondered about those .
If it's any help :whistle: - I have these in powder blue :drool: - they're much less "clumpy" sole-wise (is that a word?) than the standard blochs (which I also have in very restrained black :wink: ) although I love both pairs equally :hug:

Tiggerbabe
18th-August-2004, 12:36 PM
btw... Sheena - how are the red shoes doing? You were far more patient than I was. I came off the waiting list after 6 months... :wink:
Oh Lou - you shouldn't have done that :tears: - they are sooooooooo worth the wait - had them on on Saturday at the comp - they were/are fab!!!!!! Might even get black ones - or I wonder if they do them in blue/purple/pink/white/orange and black tiger stripes :wink: .............

Sheepman
18th-August-2004, 01:44 PM
slightly crock knee.
With long standing knee problems, I find it essential to have the minmum of friction, hence the 18 or so pairs of dance shoes in the cupboard, to suit almost every floor. Most frequently used are my jazz shoes with suede soles (worn very smooth) though they have the disadvantage of very thin soles, so after 5 or 6 hours dancing, the floor feels very hard.
Of the several pairs of split sole trainers I have, I find the best are the Bloch Stealth, though I don't expect them to last that long.
Different shoes suit different people, so you have to experiment a bit.

It may be tough (for a man :wink: ) spending £50 to £60 or more on a pair of shoes, but if it means you can keep going all night and without injuries, it's well worth it.

Greg

Whitebeard
19th-August-2004, 12:04 AM
If it's any help :whistle: - I have these in powder blue :drool: - they're much less "clumpy" sole-wise (is that a word?) than the standard blochs ......
Yes, it is a help thanks Sheena, and since several of you have put in a good word for the Stealths I'll be investigating those ..... though the old pumps kept their squeaks to themselves tonight. Not that I had many invites to crow about and give them or me a really good workout. Have to pace myself, but sometimes overdo it waiting for a good tune to come along.

Whitebeard
19th-August-2004, 12:22 AM
With long standing knee problems ..... so after 5 or 6 hours dancing, the floor feels very hard.
There can't be that much wrong with those knees if you can keep going that long !! I've never had quite the same stamina after by-pass and AAA surgery, but it is surprising how minor aches and pains seem to just disappear for the duration of an evenings dancing.

It may be tough (for a man :wink: ) spending £50 to £60 or more on a pair of shoes, but if it means you can keep going all night and without injuries, it's well worth it.
That is tough and there's no way I'm going to multiply that by eighteen. But shoes are definitely one item that can't be skimped on.

Whitebeard
19th-August-2004, 01:03 AM
I often dance in ballroom shoes -- just a lightweight men's shoe with a suede(-like) sole. These are great cause they stretch well -- look mostly like a normal shoe (as long as you don't pick the patent leather ones) -- and because the sole's quite thin you can get a really good "connection" with the floor. Oh, and they work well on less slippery floors, and still look good with a tux'.

I'll probably get a pair of those as well for Freestyle nights when I get into what might be called semi-tux' mode ..... ie proper trousers instead of jeans.

I just hope all this new footwear gives me the inspiration I need to move up a new level of ability.

foxylady
19th-August-2004, 07:03 PM
If you take any type of normal shoes to the cobblers (eg Timpsons) they will remove the sole (if necessary) and put on a leather/shammy leather (no that's probably not how you spell that - chamois?) sole on in replacement. This costs about £25 - not cheap, but then if the shoes are relatively imexpensive I guess it's not more than dance shoes. If the shoes are flat bottomed (eg trainers) this actually gives you more stability than dance trainers, which usually have split soles, and therefore is less likely to hurt you bad feet ((I sympathise, I also get bad pains in my toes/feet - possibly the same thing but I've never got it checked out.)

This probably ought to be in the shoes thread, but has anyone discovered dance trainers that don't have split soles....

Thanks Trish for the suggestion to have regular trainers re-soled.... as far as I've discovered its probably my best option.. (but somehow feel it would be better to have 'proper' dance trainers...)

FL

Tiggerbabe
19th-August-2004, 07:47 PM
This probably ought to be in the shoes thread
:D Oh the power!!!!! :wink:

but has anyone discovered dance trainers that don't have split soles....

I'm pretty sure the new Capezio(?) dance trainers don't - think that both Sheepman and Jive Brummie have them, so hopefully they might read this and help *fingers crossed*. Did I see Minnie M with a pair at Rock Bottoms too? :confused:

Minnie M
19th-August-2004, 07:58 PM
..... Did I see Minnie M with a pair at Rock Bottoms too? :confused:

Do you mean the ones with the 'Nike' type tick ? (They don't 'really' have split soles) If so, can't get on with them :tears: there is a white 'tick' is on the sole too as an insert, thus leaving a ridge and therefore slows you down on fast floors and prevents you spinning on slower ones

I have a new pair now - the latest design - called (I think) the 'Urban' something - they are from Freeds and have a velcro diagonal strap (no laces) - and they are not only very cool :waycool: but are extremely comfy and really great for spinning.

Wore them for the first time on Sunday for Amir's T dance - unfortunately as they were new they were squeeking lots - very apt for me though :rofl: - they don't squeek anymore now though and they are really really great :clap:

Sheepman
20th-August-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty sure the new Capezio(?) dance trainers don't - think that both Sheepman and Jive Brummie have them, In my case it's the Capulets that you are thinking of - the ones with the white tick. Maybe not strictly a split sole, but they are so lightweight and flexible that the effect is the same. They are also a very flat shoe, not much padding compared with trainers. Though it takes a while to get used to that ridge under your ball, they are about the most comfortable shoe I've tried, but I can only use them on the fastest of floors. They were my favourites at Beach Boogie, but at Ealing they just stick solid to the floor.

Someone told me that Kingdom of Dance are no longer doing these, not because of any problems with the shoes, but difficulties with the suppliers, so they could be hard to find.

Greg

Lory
20th-August-2004, 11:15 AM
They were my favourites at Beach Boogie, but at Ealing they just stick solid to the floor.

You wear Jazz shoes at Ealing, don't you? :confused:

I bought a pair of the split sole Jazz shoes before the first time I went on a dance weekender, as everyone warned had me about how my feet would ache and I have to say, they are THE most comfortable things I've ever put on my feet, (including slippers) , they feel absolutely wonderful, they are so soft it's unbelievable, :drool: it's just a shame the look so :sick: ugh! (On me, that is, I hasten to add! :innocent: phew!) I'd have to be suffering really badly before resorting to wearing them! ;)

Trish
20th-August-2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks Trish for the suggestion to have regular trainers re-soled.... as far as I've discovered its probably my best option.. (but somehow feel it would be better to have 'proper' dance trainers...)

FL

I can see your point here, but actually I was recommended to do this by several teachers, and they all seem to be able to do about 5 spins really fast without stopping or wobbling, so it obviously works for them - they look great! I haven't tried it with normal trainers just yet (although I'm planning on buying some at the weekend), but I have had my Katz dance trainers soled, as comfortable as they were, they weren't great for spinning - they're much better now! I guess the only difference is that the dance trainers mainly seem to have split soles and arch supports, but then you should be able to buy trainers with arch supports, although I suppose that might add to the price.

In Peterborough there's only one place to buy dance shoes, and they haven't got much variety, so unless you send off on the net, there isn't much other choice round here unfortunately!

Sheepman
20th-August-2004, 12:19 PM
You wear Jazz shoes at Ealing, don't you?Yes -
Most frequently used are my jazz shoes with suede soles (worn very smooth) But I can't get those any more, which is why I bought a job lot before they disappeared (and only £10/pair! Yes, I know they look like they were only a fiver :sad: )

Greg

Whitebeard
24th-August-2004, 11:32 PM
Stealths ...... Nobody has commented on them.

The whole idea is that they don't register on anyone's radar !!!

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 04:59 PM
Just for you Lou, my latest purchase - from Heavenly Dance Shoes, made up in ONE day. A perfect fit! And much better than the drawing I sent for her to work from - all for £59 :worthy: :drool: :drool:

baldrick
5th-September-2004, 06:59 PM
And man did they look good. Displayed beautifuly by getting demo position on stage. Clever :wink:

Minnie M
5th-September-2004, 07:35 PM
Just for you Lou, my latest purchase - from Heavenly Dance Shoes, made up in ONE day. A perfect fit! And much better than the drawing I sent for her to work from - all for £59 :worthy: :drool: :drool:

Don't think they would look as good in white with a red cross :whistle:

TheTramp
5th-September-2004, 07:39 PM
Just think Sheena. Buy another 3546316579534654 more pairs of shoes, and you'll have caught up with Lily :D

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 07:46 PM
Just think Sheena. Buy another 3546316579534654 more pairs of shoes, and you'll have caught up with Lily :D

Trampy
Working on it :wink: :D

jivecat
5th-September-2004, 07:51 PM

Wow, Sheena, they are amazing! :drool: Even to a non-Scottish person. I wonder what they'd be like in green and white with red dragons on?

TheTramp
5th-September-2004, 07:52 PM
I wonder what they'd be like in green and white with red dragons on?
They'd look fantastic!!! :clap: :cheers:

Trampy

Lory
5th-September-2004, 07:56 PM
my latest purchase - from Heavenly Dance Shoes, made up in ONE day. A perfect fit! And much better than the drawing I sent for her to work from - all for £59 :worthy: :drool: :drool:WOW! :waycool: Love em! :yum:

Sheena, your lucky you don't live where I live (which is only a 15min drive from Heavenly) as it gets rather addictive :blush:

Sandy (who probably made your shoes her self) and I are first name terms now! :whistle: :rofl:

jivecat
5th-September-2004, 07:57 PM
Must buy more shoes, must buy more shoes.

Does anyone know of a good dance shoe emporium anywhere in the midlands where you can try on dance shoes before buying? Or direct me to a suitable thread if this has been covered before. I'm desperate to expand my pathetically inadequate selection of dance shoes, preferably before Southport, and I can't face mail order, and it's probably too late for that anyway.

Must buy more shoes, must buy more shoes........

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm desperate to expand my pathetically inadequate selection of dance shoes, preferably before Southport
I'm sure "Kingdom of Dance" will be there - have a look on their website and then if there's anything you fancy send David Martin an e-mail and I'm sure he'll try and bring the shoes along in your size, if he has them in stock. :grin:

Lou
5th-September-2004, 08:16 PM
Sheena. they are gorgeous. my latest purchase from Heavenly Dance Shoes arrived on saturday morning. patent mock croc superstrappy. btw does this post win most unusual location as i am in a cybergoth club in leeds selling t shirts?!

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 08:50 PM
Sheena, your lucky you don't live where I live (which is only a 15min drive from Heavenly) as it gets rather addictive :blush:
You don't fancy a visitor do you Lory? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Sandie (who probably made your shoes her self) and I are first name terms now! :whistle: :rofl:
Yeah, it was Sandie who made them, she was great :worthy: :worthy: , we had such a laugh between phonecalls and e-mails, and I don't know who was more excited about them, her or me :rofl: .
I'm working on my own shoes for the BFG but maybe I'll get her to make me a tigger pair in the future :wink:

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 08:54 PM
Sheena. they are gorgeous.
I know - tee hee, love them :hug:

btw does this post win most unusual location as i am in a cybergoth club in leeds selling t shirts?!
do I feel a thread coming on? :wink:

Lory
5th-September-2004, 08:56 PM
Mine and Holly's latest Heavenly purchaces! :drool:

SteveB
5th-September-2004, 08:58 PM

Some lucky geezer will be competing with you whilst you wear them eh! :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 09:31 PM
Mine and Holly's latest Heavenly purchaces! :drool:
Nice ! :drool: :yum: :clap:

Sparkles
5th-September-2004, 09:41 PM
Does anyone have contact information for this place that they'd care to share? Sheena, lory, ANYONE?!!
Something tells me I'll need to sort myself out a new pair of shoes before the BFG...

Gojive
5th-September-2004, 09:54 PM
I was going to post a piccie of my dance shoes, then I thought "In this thread?.....I don't think so!" :wink: :whistle: :D

Lory
5th-September-2004, 09:59 PM
Does anyone have contact information for this place that they'd care to share? Sheena, lory, ANYONE?!!
Something tells me I'll need to sort myself out a new pair of shoes before the BFG...
Here you go :innocent:

Treat yourself to a bit of heaven! (http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/) :wink:

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 10:00 PM

Click on these shoes (www.heavenlydanceshoes.com )
Heavenly Dance Shoes, 5 Station Approach, South Oxhey, Watford,
WD19 7DT
Tel: 020 8428 2066 and speak to Sandie :wink: :hug:

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 10:02 PM
See, you only need to ask - Lory beat me to it, but I'll leave my post there in case you need the address :wink: :D :hug: :kiss:
Lory if you're passing, nip in and give Sandie a huge hug from me - thanks :kiss:

Lou
6th-September-2004, 09:45 AM
Hehe! I like this thread! I like yours & Holly's shoes, Lory. :drool: And now I'm home, I can attach a piccy of my shoes, too! :nice:

Sparkles
6th-September-2004, 10:47 PM
See, you only need to ask - Lory beat me to it, but I'll leave my post there in case you need the address :wink: :D :hug: :kiss:
Lory if you're passing, nip in and give Sandie a huge hug from me - thanks :kiss:

Thank you girlies - looks like my bank balance may be down by another £60 but the end of this month :( :clap: :whistle:

Lory
7th-September-2004, 08:19 AM
Thank you girlies - looks like my bank balance may be down by another £60 but the end of this month :( :clap: :whistle:
Can I make a suggestion...

IF :whistle: you choose something with a sparkly strap, pay £3 extra to have it made with a popper fastening, instead of the ordinary buckle. :waycool:
It will look exactly the same but A) Its so much quicker and easier to put on and B) it won't wear the glitter off, keep pulling the strap though the buckle! :clap:

Gadget
7th-September-2004, 09:10 AM
{and C) - can just 'pop' undone with an 'accidental' snagging :drool::whistle:}

Zebra Woman
7th-September-2004, 09:22 AM
Sandie has been making me my standard black dance shoes for 4 years but this time she made me a pair of.......unique in all the world......

zebra shoes

I love them! :clap: Sorry I don't have a digital camera so you will have to wait 'till Southport to see them. :rofl:

Her shop has to be one of my favourite places on the planet, we have such a laugh in there. I was hoping she would come up to Southport and have a stand. :(

If you can't get to Watford and you want to try a pair on - mine are size 5 and a half ....but don't leave it 'till Sunday PLEASE!

jivecat
7th-September-2004, 09:54 AM
Yay, I've found a dance shoe shop in Leicester that stocks the shoes I'd earmarked on the web, and cheaper, too. It's in an old church on Belgrave Gate. They didn't have any with dragons on so I had to make do with sparkly black.

Er..how do you get floor dust off sparkly black shoes?

Lory
7th-September-2004, 09:59 AM
Er..how do you get floor dust off sparkly black shoes?I'm not sure but I'd try a dry nailbrush first! :)

I just had a funny thought, I wonder how many of us would dare post a picture of our 'now' new shoes, in 6months time! :sick: :rofl:

Chicklet
7th-September-2004, 09:59 AM
Er..how do you get floor dust off sparkly black shoes?
I Sellotape mine :grin:

Zebra Woman
7th-September-2004, 10:02 AM
I just had a funny thought, I wonder how many of us would dare post a picture of our 'now' new shoes, in 6months time! :sick: :rofl:

Even worse if the Forum had a scratch and sniff feature..Uugghh :sick: :sick: :sick:

Lory
7th-September-2004, 10:06 AM
Even worse if the Forum had a scratch and sniff feature..Uugghh :sick: :sick: :sick:
:yeah: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lory
7th-September-2004, 10:20 AM
Now is the time to raid all your family and friends gardens for lavender. :flower:

Wrap a small amount up in a piece of muslin (tissue will do) tie with a rubber band and then stuff the toes of all your shoes in your shoe cupboard! :wink:

Sparkles
7th-September-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the tip, Lory, hadn't thought of that... :sick:
Hey, maybe you should have your own 'handy hints' thread? Just a thought - I'm sure you've loads of useful pieces of wisdom to impart to us all...

jivecat
7th-September-2004, 10:25 AM
It's probably just me (let's hope so, anyway) but I always think of a pair of shoes as being symbolic of life's journey. You start off all glowing and hopeful and pristine, become battered and shapeless with continued use until you end up in the dustbin there to rot down and return to the earth.

Lugubrious? Moi?

Zebra Woman
7th-September-2004, 05:11 PM

Just thought I'd mention my latest plan on that front:

I whoosh my shoes with fresh force, and spray my feet with a 24h anti-perspirant. I am not saying they don't smell, but there is a massive improvement. I also insert plain rubberbacked Clarks insoles when the shoes stretch, they give a lovely cushion effect.

Last year at Rock Bottoms it got so bad that Miss Conduct and I took to leaving our dance shoes outside our bedroom door at night.

And do you know what?

Nobody nicked them! :rofl:

Lou
7th-September-2004, 11:13 PM
I just thought I'd say I took my new ones out dancing tonight, and they're absolutely perfect! :grin: Oooh.. I love new shoes! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tiggerbabe
8th-September-2004, 01:26 AM
Can I make a suggestion...

IF :whistle: you choose something with a sparkly strap, pay £3 extra to have it made with a popper fastening, instead of the ordinary buckle. :waycool:

You can Lory, but they've run out of them at the moment :tears: :tears:

Sparkles
10th-September-2004, 12:36 PM
I've decided to save my 60 quid for another event and have decorated my ballroom shoes to match my outfit instead :clap: - but will definitely use Heavenly Dance Shoes when I have some more cash!

under par
10th-September-2004, 01:00 PM
Just thought I'd mention my latest plan on that front:

I whoosh my shoes with fresh force, and spray my feet with a 24h anti-perspirant. I am not saying they don't smell, but there is a massive improvement. I also insert plain rubberbacked Clarks insoles when the shoes stretch, they give a lovely cushion effect.

Last year at Rock Bottoms it got so bad that Miss Conduct and I took to leaving our dance shoes outside our bedroom door at night.

And do you know what?

Nobody nicked them! :rofl:

Yes but they did go for a long walk each night............on their own!!! :rofl:

Zebra Woman
10th-September-2004, 01:11 PM
Yes but they did go for a long walk each night............on their own!!! :rofl:

Funny...I was wondering how the soles had got worn out. :confused:

It's not me that wears them in the car park you know :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Lynn
21st-September-2004, 01:45 PM
Finally got real, proper dance shoes at Southport and what a difference they make! So comfortable I was able to dance all evening in them on Sat (and I was in the blues room till the very end), I can spin better now and they are little black strappy things so look good with a dress.

Apologies to everyone I was waving my feet at saying 'I got new shoes!' but I was really pleased because they were so nice to wear and dance in.

Must think now...when can I get my next pair...

drathzel
21st-September-2004, 01:50 PM
Finally got real, proper dance shoes at Southport and what a difference they make! So comfortable I was able to dance all evening in them on Sat (and I was in the blues room till the very end), I can spin better now and they are little black strappy things so look good with a dress.

Apologies to everyone I was waving my feet at saying 'I got new shoes!' but I was really pleased because they were so nice to wear and dance in.

Must think now...when can I get my next pair...

I got my first pair of real dancing shoes last week as i managed to ruin two pairs of boots in 4 weeks and thought of it as an investment! I have no idea to keep them in good condition! I got them in a boutique in west end glasgow and they have a website

www.westenddanceboutique.com

If you see anything you like you can always send me for them and i can bring them over when i am in N.ireland!

:hug:

Lynn
21st-September-2004, 02:30 PM
I got my first pair of real dancing shoes last week ...

If you see anything you like you can always send me for them and i can bring them over when i am in N.ireland!

:hug: Don't they make a real difference? I find it hard to get shoes that don't hurt or rub somewhere, it was so nice to get a pair that were immediately very comfy. I like to buy shoes on sale - but these were worth every penny! (And I got a fab and funky pair of jeans on sale at the same time anyway!)

Gordon J Pownall
21st-September-2004, 02:49 PM
Don't they make a real difference?

You can't beat a good pair of dance shoes / trainers.

I bought my first Blochs about eight years ago and now live in them - I buy about two or three new pairs each year (so much dancing) and teaching....but the old and tatty ones last for ages as slippers - can't beat them...! :worthy:

Dance Demon
21st-September-2004, 04:35 PM
Herein lies a cautionary tale. Get your shoes from a reputable company that values its customers. A year past May,(2003) I was at a Party weekender in Wales. I entered and won the DWAS competition. Prize was £50 to spend at the "GLOBAL DANCEWEAR" stall. I didn't see anything I fancied, so I asked if they could get me a pair of Bleyers like my black & whites, but in black & red. They said "No problem". i took along my black & whites, and they took a note of the size from them. A few weeks later the shoes arrived, but were far too small. i sent them back with an explanation. Some time later another pair arrived, but were far too big. I sent them back with another explanation, and a cut out of the sole from my black & whites to let them know the correct size. Then I waited....and waited...and waited...and eventually phoned Global. Unfortunately the people at Global do not answer their phone, or reply to e mails. I phoned Party Weekender, who told me they would find out what they could & get back to me....so I waited & waited & waited....and eventually phoned them back and the girl said " Oh!! has no one been on to tell you that Global ar saying that as you have returned two pairs already, they aint sending any more.... :confused: ...I then Spoke to Darren Rodwell from Party weekender, and he said "I'll chase it up".........and youv'e guessd it ....I waited & waited &......well you know :rolleyes: ...I bumped into Darren at Blackpool ( not with my fist :wink: )...and I told him that if there was a problem with the shoes, then just to send me a couple of Frankie Manning Lindy Hop Videos, & we could call it quits. OK then he replied....and I waited & etc etc..............so....if you are thinking about dance shoes.......................DON'T GO TO GLOBAL!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

MartinHarper
21st-September-2004, 04:49 PM
I heard that it's best to wear different types of dance shoes from time to time to avoid crippling oneself... true/false?

Gojive
21st-September-2004, 04:54 PM
Herein lies a cautionary tale. Get your shoes from a reputable company that values its customers. A year past May,(2003) I was at a Party weekender in Wales. I entered and won the DWAS competition. Prize was £50 to spend at the "GLOBAL DANCEWEAR" stall. I didn't see anything I fancied, so I asked if they could get me a pair of Bleyers like my black & whites, but in black & red. They said "No problem". i took along my black & whites, and they took a note of the size from them. A few weeks later the shoes arrived, but were far too small. i sent them back with an explanation. Some time later another pair arrived, but were far too big. I sent them back with another explanation, and a cut out of the sole from my black & whites to let them know the correct size. Then I waited....and waited...and waited...and eventually phoned Global. Unfortunately the people at Global do not answer their phone, or reply to e mails. I phoned Party Weekender, who told me they would find out what they could & get back to me....so I waited & waited & waited....and eventually phoned them back and the girl said " Oh!! has no one been on to tell you that Global ar saying that as you have returned two pairs already, they aint sending any more.... :confused: ...I then Spoke to Darren Rodwell from Party weekender, and he said "I'll chase it up".........and youv'e guessd it ....I waited & waited &......well you know :rolleyes: ...I bumped into Darren at Blackpool ( not with my fist :wink: )...and I told him that if there was a problem with the shoes, then just to send me a couple of Frankie Manning Lindy Hop Videos, & we could call it quits. OK then he replied....and I waited & etc etc..............so....if you are thinking about dance shoes.......................DON'T GO TO GLOBAL!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks for the warning DD :eek: . I won the Weymouth DWAS in March, and haven't yet used my vouchers.

Whitebeard
21st-September-2004, 10:17 PM
I won the Weymouth DWAS in March .....
DWAS ???

Dancing Without Any Shoes ???

DavidY
21st-September-2004, 10:33 PM
DWAS ???

Dancing Without Any Shoes ???DWAS: Dance With A Stranger.

It's a category in quite a few dance competitions, and can also be known as "Lucky Dip", "Take a Chance", etc. Men and women enter separately, and there's some system by which everyone ends up with a random partner. You could end up with a beginner, or a superstar dance god/goddess.

Whitebeard
21st-September-2004, 10:41 PM
DWAS: Dance With A Stranger.

It's a category in quite a few dance competitions, and can also be known as "Lucky Dip", "Take a Chance", etc. Men and women enter separately, and there's some system by which everyone ends up with a random partner. You could end up with a beginner, or a superstar dance god/goddess.
Thanks, that's what I was fishing for. Accronyms can be a bugger !!

No competions round here, hence the ignorance, but I believe some of our hotshots have had success down Bristol way.

Gojive
21st-September-2004, 11:13 PM
DWAS: Dance With A Stranger.

Fortunately, I ended up with a dance godess in Sarah from Plymouth :drool: :worthy:

drathzel
22nd-September-2004, 08:29 AM
Don't they make a real difference? I find it hard to get shoes that don't hurt or rub somewhere, it was so nice to get a pair that were immediately very comfy. I like to buy shoes on sale - but these were worth every penny! (And I got a fab and funky pair of jeans on sale at the same time anyway!)

I only have one problem with mine! My left foot ankle is shaped slightly funily and its rubbing. It would be ok now except i have danced so many times this week it hasn't healed! (no pun intended) :nice:

johnthehappyguy
12th-October-2004, 01:53 AM

Finally managed to figure out how to do attachments.

There should be a picture of Sheena's lovely shoes, :worthy:
that she wore at BFG.

Well, on my way to Marco's for Ceroc on a Monday and Thursday in Edinburgh, then I have to pass by this shop, honestly there is no other way to get there. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: "Leather and Lace,Gorgie Road, also at Drummond St."

Could not help noticing this outfit, as well as being co-ordinating it could keep the wearer fairly cool. :devil: :innocent: :innocent:

N.B This thread is for information only, I have managed to resist using :drool: :drool: :drool: , well almost.

johnthehappyguy

Lory
12th-October-2004, 08:38 AM
Could not help noticing this outfit, as well as being co-ordinating it could keep the wearer fairly cool. :devil: :innocent: :innocent:

Wow! :waycool:

Hey I bet Sheena already had that outfit and just ordered the shoes to match! :wink: :whistle:

drathzel
12th-October-2004, 08:39 AM
Finally managed to figure out how to do attachments.

There should be a picture of Sheena's lovely shoes, :worthy:
that she wore at BFG.

johnthehappyguy

The nicest shoes i have seen in a long time except for the red ones of course!!

Lynn
12th-October-2004, 02:41 PM
Just been having another look at this thread... and its put me in the mood to buy more shoes this weekend... :clap:

In my defence I only have a pair of Bloch trainers and a strappy dressy pair so buying another pair isn't too bad is it...

Northants Girly
12th-October-2004, 02:56 PM
Just been having another look at this thread... and its put me in the mood to buy more shoes this weekend... :clap:

In my defence I only have a pair of Bloch trainers and a strappy dressy pair so buying another pair isn't too bad is it...

Of course not Lynn - thats nothing!

I bought two pairs in one go last Thursday in Rugby from Kingdom of Dance (in my defense - one pair WAS in the sale!) - and then I tryed them out dancing with the wonderful Alfie! :grin:

Lynn
12th-October-2004, 03:07 PM

I bought two pairs in one go last Thursday in Rugby from Kingdom of Dance (in my defense - one pair WAS in the sale!) - and then I tryed them out dancing with the wonderful Alfie! :grin: I bought a pair last month in Southport from Kingdom of Dance (and they are fab!) - but there isn't much on offer here in NI, so I'm tempted to take every dance footwear buying opportunity I can!

Tiggerbabe
12th-October-2004, 06:13 PM

Ehrm - was there a price on said item John? :flower:
Not that I'm even remotely interested you understand - :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

johnthehappyguy
13th-October-2004, 01:41 AM
hi sheena,

Will try to get details for you :wink:

johnthehappyguy :nice:

Alfie
13th-October-2004, 06:25 PM

I bought two pairs in one go last Thursday in Rugby from Kingdom of Dance (in my defense - one pair WAS in the sale!) - and then I tryed them out dancing with the wonderful Alfie! :grin:

It was a pleasure we must do it again some time :clap: :clap: :nice:

Pauline
19th-October-2004, 03:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with http://www.totaldance.co.uk at all, as looking to buy a pair of dance trainers and theres is the best price at the moment i can find. :nice:

drathzel
20th-October-2004, 08:46 AM
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with http://www.totaldance.co.uk at all, as looking to buy a pair of dance trainers and theres is the best price at the moment i can find. :nice:

I have never dealt with them before so i can't help sorry!

I however am looking for a pair of nice shoes, mum is buying me them for christmas so i shall have a look on that site and see if there are any nice shoes for me.

I would assume that they would be ok, just check its a secure website, this means that your credit card details can't be traced/re-used!

Lynn
20th-October-2004, 09:00 AM
I would assume that they would be ok, just check its a secure website, this means that your credit card details can't be traced/re-used! But also good to check delivery times, a friend waited months for a pair she had ordered over the internet (don't know where from) - another friend had her shoes within days (Kingdom of Dance).

I bought new shoes last weekend. Tried about a million pairs of closed toe ones (as I have strappy sandals) but they were all too wide :tears: So ended up with a pair of black and whites :eek: as lace up style solves the width problem (and they were reduced!). Now I'll have to get my dancing level up to match them :wink:

If anyone has found narrow fitting shoes with heels and closed toes, please let me know!

drathzel
20th-October-2004, 01:47 PM
If anyone has found narrow fitting shoes with heels and closed toes, please let me know!

http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/index.htm

go see!!!!

Lynn
20th-October-2004, 02:02 PM
http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/index.htm

go see!!!! Thanks - I did see one Rummos pair there that I liked that can be ordered in Narrow. Anyone any comments on Rummos shoes for comfort/fitting?

drathzel
20th-October-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks - I did see one Rummos pair there that I liked that can be ordered in Narrow. Anyone any comments on Rummos shoes for comfort/fitting?

which ones? its the rummos ones that i liked! Maybe we can be shoes twins!!!

Lynn
20th-October-2004, 04:22 PM
which ones? its the rummos ones that i liked! Maybe we can be shoes twins!!! Covered toe and heel, strap across (not round) ankle - came in a variety of patterns, silver and black looked good but would probably go for plain black as my strappy ones are black with a sparkly bit so looking for a plainer pair. But I think I will have to wait a while as have bought 2 pairs in the past 2 months!

baldrick
20th-October-2004, 06:29 PM
Lynn, ordered rummos trainers 29th sept from dancesport. Still waiting, hoping they arrive for weekend in Dundee. I'm busting with anticipation. :tears:

Lynn
20th-October-2004, 06:33 PM
Lynn, ordered rummos trainers 29th sept from dancesport. Still waiting, hoping they arrive for weekend in Dundee. I'm busting with anticipation. :tears: Let us know what you think - when they arrive (hopefully soon!)

drathzel
21st-October-2004, 08:32 AM
Covered toe and heel, strap across (not round) ankle - came in a variety of patterns, silver and black looked good but would probably go for plain black as my strappy ones are black with a sparkly bit so looking for a plainer pair. But I think I will have to wait a while as have bought 2 pairs in the past 2 months!

I think those where the ones that i looked at! Although at the minute i think i am steering towards red!! It must be the :devil: in me!

drathzel
21st-October-2004, 08:33 AM
Lynn, ordered rummos trainers 29th sept from dancesport. Still waiting, hoping they arrive for weekend in Dundee. I'm busting with anticipation. :tears:

Aww aww, so what you are saying is that if i want them for christmas i should order them now?

Lynn
20th-November-2004, 11:14 AM
New shoes! New shoes! New shoes! :clap:

Guess what arrived this morning? :wink:

(Gold, strappy... Christmas parties here I come!)

Northants Girly
20th-November-2004, 12:57 PM
New shoes! New shoes! New shoes! :clap:

Guess what arrived this morning? :wink:

(Gold, strappy... Christmas parties here I come!)Post a pic of them Lynn then we can all share in your exitement!! :grin:

Lynn
20th-November-2004, 06:26 PM
Post a pic of them Lynn then we can all share in your exitement!! :grin: Don't have a digital camera sadly :( . They are actually the same as a pair I already have in black (Freed Sophia) only in gold. The black ones are so comfortable to dance in, and I have tried a lot of other shoes on but find it hard to get comfy ones. Although they are the same style, the gold looks quite different and will be fab with Christmas outfits!

baldrick
22nd-November-2004, 12:45 PM
Let us know what you think - when they arrive (hopefully soon!)
Cancelled my order for Rummos trainers this morning. Still getting the "they'll be in soon and you'll get them at the end of next week" line. Nice man on phone says that Dancesport will probably be dropping Rummos as a supplier due to unreliable deliveries. Mad, but at least I get to spend a days holiday shoe shopping. Going over to the Feminin side :eek:

baldrick
22nd-November-2004, 07:24 PM
In to Glasgow to local(ish) dance shop and part with the cash, pair of Bloch's to play with tomorrow. :clap:

BeeBee
22nd-November-2004, 07:31 PM
Aw Balders, cant wait to see your new shoes. And they say its just the girlies that have the Imelda Marcos syndrome. I'll be sure to not stand on your toes tomorrow night (unlike at Aberdeen . . . :blush: )

Beebs

BeeBee
24th-November-2004, 03:40 PM
In to Glasgow to local(ish) dance shop and part with the cash, pair of Bloch's to play with tomorrow. :clap:

Your new shoes are smashing Balders, you were a whirling dervish last night on the dance floor! :clap: Sorry about standing on them . . . :blush: , but at least thats it over with now! Can't seem to help myself - new shoes just seem to beg to be stood on . . . or is that just me? :whistle:

drathzel
24th-November-2004, 07:13 PM
Don't have a digital camera sadly :( . They are actually the same as a pair I already have in black (Freed Sophia) only in gold. The black ones are so comfortable to dance in, and I have tried a lot of other shoes on but find it hard to get comfy ones. Although they are the same style, the gold looks quite different and will be fab with Christmas outfits!

Oh i know which ones you mean!!! :drool:

drathzel
24th-November-2004, 07:15 PM
Your new shoes are smashing Balders, you were a whirling dervish last night on the dance floor!
:yeah:

Also sorry for the crappy dances but i was so tired!!! I will dance better next time i promise! :hug:

baldrick
25th-November-2004, 01:19 AM
Happy to report much happyness with new shoes. Feel odd, the front portion rises so my toes don't touch the floor. Until I put weight on the ball of my feet. Then the heel lifts off. As I say odd, but good for dancing. I does leave my feet tired, but I think this is 'cause I'm using muscles that have been inactive for a long time in my flat feet. :grin: :grin: :clap:

Lynn
15th-February-2005, 04:20 PM
Just had to say that I bought more new shoes while at Scarborough! :clap: Alfie suggested trying a 1/2 size smaller in a pair I liked (but were too wide) and they fitted! Really pleased as now I have nice heeled shoes (Freed Marissa) with covered toe (essential for crowded dance floors!). I'd better not buy any more dancing shoes this year... well unless I see a pair I really like/need... :wink:

drathzel
15th-February-2005, 04:24 PM
Just had to say that I bought more new shoes while at Scarborough! :clap: Alfie suggested trying a 1/2 size smaller in a pair I liked (but were too wide) and they fitted! Really pleased as now I have nice heeled shoes (Freed Marissa) with covered toe (essential for crowded dance floors!). I'd better not buy any more dancing shoes this year... well unless I see a pair I really like/need... :wink:

i have my eye on a "heavenly" pair, will let you know what i decide!!! And i'd had the same resolution!!!
Dx

Lynn
15th-February-2005, 04:31 PM
i have my eye on a "heavenly" pair, will let you know what i decide!!! And i'd had the same resolution!!!
Dx You can show me next time you are over (if you have them by then!)

drathzel
15th-February-2005, 04:44 PM
You can show me next time you are over (if you have them by then!)

fingers and toes cross :what:

Lynn
15th-February-2005, 05:02 PM
fingers and toes cross :what: What, your toes will be cross with you if you don't get them?! :wink:

drathzel
15th-February-2005, 05:12 PM
What, your toes will be cross with you if you don't get them?! :wink:

very!!! :angry: :tears:

Andy McGregor
15th-February-2005, 05:16 PM
You always 'need' new dance shoes. You 'need' to have at least 2 pairs of shoes that go with each outfit. One for fast floors and one for slow floors - and probably a pair for dirty floors. And you might need another pair for each outfit just in case you walk on a beer-soaked carpet and ruin a pair and the shoe shops are closed, etc, etc. So, you always 'need' new shoes ...

Lynn
15th-February-2005, 05:20 PM
You always 'need' new dance shoes. I like that logic! And I love having nice dance shoes, it makes a difference to how you dance, how you feel, etc. They are dearer than 'regular' shoes but worth it!

baldrick
25th-February-2005, 11:11 PM
You always 'need' new dance shoes. You 'need' to have at least 2 pairs of shoes that go with each outfit. One for fast floors and one for slow floors - and probably a pair for dirty floors. And you might need another pair for each outfit just in case you walk on a beer-soaked carpet and ruin a pair and the shoe shops are closed, etc, etc. So, you always 'need' new shoes ...
I like this logic so will have to make another attempt at online shopping. Red or Blue; indecisive or what? :confused:

drathzel
25th-February-2005, 11:20 PM
I like this logic so will have to make another attempt at online shopping. Red or Blue; indecisive or what? :confused:

i told you...BOTH

drathzel
25th-February-2005, 11:24 PM
Dx

i didn't get them but i have my eye on a pair of sancha dance trainers

Dx :hug:

Alfie
26th-February-2005, 10:09 AM
I have a pair of Sansha "Flowers" in black and can highly reccomend them.
They are really comfy :nice: :nice:

Dance Demon
26th-February-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Alfie
Are you going to Blacjpool & will you have shoes with you?

drathzel
26th-February-2005, 05:41 PM
I have a pair of Sansha "Flowers" in black and can highly reccomend them.
They are really comfy :nice: :nice:

I have been told they are. i have seen them on ebay but i can't see them anywhere else so i am guessing they are a discontinued style so wish me luck!

drathzel
27th-February-2005, 02:40 PM
MY new dance trainers!!!!!!!!:drool:

Tiggerbabe
27th-February-2005, 06:29 PM
Nice! :D

Lynn
6th-April-2005, 02:26 PM
I am considering supplementing my 'workshop' shoes (Bloch trainers) with a pair of split sole jazz shoes? Anyone wear these? I thought they might be easier than the trainers to spin in, on certain floors. I have also seen people wearing what looked like a cross between trainers and jazz shoes - anyone know what they are?

Lou
6th-April-2005, 03:37 PM
I am considering supplementing my 'workshop' shoes (Bloch trainers) with a pair of split sole jazz shoes? Anyone wear these?

Yup. I always wear them if I dance at Elmgrove in Bristol, as they're the only shoes that seem to cope with that floor.

There's a theme going through this thread - you can never have enough shoes - so, go on, buy them! :D

Lynn
6th-April-2005, 03:55 PM
Yup. I always wear them if I dance at Elmgrove in Bristol, as they're the only shoes that seem to cope with that floor. Yes, I was doing some workshops at the weekend on various floors and thought jazz shoes might be an option. Recommend any makes? What sort of sole do yours have?

There's a theme going through this thread - you can never have enough shoes - so, go on, buy them! :D :yeah:
This isn't just an excuse to buy more dance shoes you know :whistle:

Ok - yes it is!

drathzel
24th-April-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey all,

Looking for a pair of flesh coloured splits soled jazz shoes! Where can i get a pair?

Graham
24th-April-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey all,

Looking for a pair of flesh coloured splits soled jazz shoes! Where can i get a pair?

Capezio do these (http://www.capeziodanceeu.com/product.asp?pid=43&catid=5&cattext=Jazz&sectype=0&section=1) in tan.
Bloch Ultraflex is also available in tan (can't link to their site as it uses frames).

drathzel
24th-April-2005, 08:26 PM
Capezio do these (http://www.capeziodanceeu.com/product.asp?pid=43&catid=5&cattext=Jazz&sectype=0&section=1) in tan.
Bloch Ultraflex is also available in tan (can't link to their site as it uses frames).

ah but it isn't lnked to a shop and when you look at the shops that stock it i havven't found one that has tan! :hug:

Graham
25th-April-2005, 07:46 AM
Try here (http://thedanceshop.co.uk/acatalog/The_Dance_Shop_Jazz_Shoes_6.html), or here's (https://www.dancedirectworld.com/uk/index.php?p=50&pv=37&d=141&c=PSS) a So Danca alternative.

Yliander
25th-April-2005, 10:11 AM
ah but it isn't lnked to a shop and when you look at the shops that stock it i havven't found one that has tan! :hug:you could always try your local ballet shop

drathzel
25th-April-2005, 08:31 PM
you could always try your local ballet shop

They dont stock tan coloured ones!!! :tears:

Yliander
26th-April-2005, 05:30 AM
They dont stock tan coloured ones!!! :tears:Oh dear - if they have them in black they should be able to order them in for you in tan.

drathzel
26th-April-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh dear - if they have them in black they should be able to order them in for you in tan.

maybe, i shall ask, thank you :hug:

drathzel
28th-April-2005, 11:06 AM
A while back someone said about putting new soles on their shoes. I have a pair of oxfords that i can no longer spin in as the soles are ruined. Did anyone try the new soles thing and how did it work out?

Thank you :hug:

Lou
28th-April-2005, 02:29 PM
Ooooh! I forgot to say I bought some new shoes (which got christened in New York)! http://www.sfdancewear.com/bimages/1070570059ELE_Lady_Godiva_CB.jpg The black ones (of course). :wink:

@drathzel: I've put new leather soles on shoes & it's worked out fine. I'm assuming, because they're Oxfords, that you'll put leather, not suede? Watch out, though, because they'll be overly slippy for a while.

drathzel
28th-April-2005, 02:31 PM
Ooooh! I forgot to say I bought some new shoes (which got christened in New York)! http://www.sfdancewear.com/bimages/1070570059ELE_Lady_Godiva_CB.jpg The black ones (of course). :wink:

@drathzel: I've put new leather soles on shoes & it's worked out fine. I'm assuming, because they're Oxfords, that you'll put leather, not suede? Watch out, though, because they'll be overly slippy for a while.

Can i put suade on them tho?

My dance trainers are very slippy slippy but thats ok :hug:

Lou
28th-April-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, I was doing some workshops at the weekend on various floors and thought jazz shoes might be an option. Recommend any makes? What sort of sole do yours have?
Ooops! Only just saw this. They're Katz (I think), suede split sole. Very nice.

Lou
28th-April-2005, 02:33 PM
Can i put suade on them tho?

My dance trainers are very slippy slippy but thats ok :hug:
I'd've thought so. The best bet is to go along to your local cobblers. They'll tell you what's physically possible. :nice:

drathzel
28th-April-2005, 02:34 PM
I'd've thought so. The best bet is to go along to your local cobblers. They'll tell you what's physically possible. :nice:

thank you thank you :worthy: :worthy: ! Thats my plan for the weekend then! :hug:

Lynn
28th-April-2005, 08:55 PM
Ooops! Only just saw this. They're Katz (I think), suede split sole. Very nice. There is a new dance wear shop in Belfast so I just walked in and bought a pair in about 10 mins - Capezio, suede split sole. Like wearing gloves on your feet! And so light - perfect for taking to Spain in two weeks time. :clap: