PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared..... Any advice welcome...

Lou
27th-August-2002, 01:29 PM
OK - I've decided to try a CEROC class. It seems like my nearest one is in Bath tomorrow, so I've resolved to bite the bullet & see how the other half live! :wink:

But I'm scared about what it'll be like. There's a lot of advice out there on the web for complete beginners - but what about for a reasonably experienced intermediate LeRoccer? It'd be OK for me to attend the Beginners class first, right, before attending the later Intermediates? Or is that class for real beginners only? (I like going to beginners in LeRoc as a warm-up - but do you guys do that?) And I know you have different names & signals & stuff...
:what:
See - told you I was scared!

I know it's really the wrong part of the country to be asking - but has anyone been to Bath? Or can anyone give me some advice on going to a CEROC class, in general... :nice: please......

Franck
27th-August-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Lou
OK - I've decided to try a CEROC class. It seems like my nearest one is in Bath tomorrow, so I've resolved to bite the bullet & see how the other half live! :wink: Ok Lou, first of all, congratulations on being so daring and open-minded :wink:
Originally posted by Lou
But I'm scared about what it'll be like. There's a lot of advice out there on the web for complete beginners - but what about for a reasonably experienced intermediate LeRoccer? It'd be OK for me to attend the Beginners class first, right, before attending the later Intermediates? Or is that class for real beginners only? (I like going to beginners in LeRoc as a warm-up - but do you guys do that?) And I know you have different names & signals & stuff... No need to worry, you will find that in all probability, you will not notice any difference, except for the challenge and excitement of having new people to dance with.
AFAIK, most signals are very similar, and in fact, Ceroc rely less and less on signals, preferring to emphasize good lead instead.

I would recommend you do the Beginners class first, just to warm up (we do that as well), and to suss out the men you might want to dance with later...
The names of moves are largely irrelevant on the dance floor, so don't worry about it.
Finally, keep a smile on and I am sure you will have a great night with plenty of dances... :waycool:

Of course the ideal way would have been to visit Scotland for your first night as we would certainly have made you feel more than welcome (us being the friendliest Ceroc spot in the UK :nice: ).

With a bit of luck, someone from Bath will get back to you on the forum...

Franck.

Lou
27th-August-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Of course the ideal way would have been to visit Scotland for your first night as we would certainly have made you feel more than welcome (us being the friendliest Ceroc spot in the UK :nice: ).

It's just a bit too far to travel for the evening! :wink:

Franck
27th-August-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Lou
It's just a bit too far to travel for the evening! :wink: Not a problem, I am sure many Scottish Cerocers would offer you accomodation and flights are very cheap these days...

Why not make a week-end of it next time :nice:

Franck.

Rachel
27th-August-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Lou
It'd be OK for me to attend the Beginners class first, right, before attending the later Intermediates? Or is that class for real beginners only? (I like going to beginners in LeRoc as a warm-up - but do you guys do that?)

I'd definitely recommend doing the beginners' class (yes, we do that at Ceroc, too) - I'll always try and make it for that, especially when I'm at a new venue. As you say, it's a good way to warm up, and many beginners really appreciate having a go with someone who's more familiar with the moves. And, particularly, it's a great way to get to know people so that they'll come up and ask you for a dance later.

(Hope you're not as bad as me, but I get really nervous asking men to dance - I know, I know, it's pathetic! - so, most of the time, I'm dependent on them coming to ask me. If your face gets known in the class, they're much more likely to grab you in the freestyle (not literally, perhaps ...!).)

I'm quite jealous, actually - I'm originally from Bath but have never made it to a Ceroc class there on my visits back. Let us know how it went. You never know, one day I might make it for myself.

Oh, something to bear in mind - I once looked on the internet to find out when and where Ceroc classes were on in Bath. However, on the night I planned to go, I ran to confirm and found out that all the internet details were long out of date and classes were not on that night after all. They were also no longer held at the place advertised. You probably have already, but please do check the time/place of the class before you go.

Rachel

Steven
27th-August-2002, 11:51 PM
How was your evening of ceroc????? Bet it wasn't that scary at all!! :D

Love the avatar!!

Cheers
Steven

Lou
28th-August-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
You probably have already, but please do check the time/place of the class before you go.
Rachel
Thanks for the heads-up. I phoned & confirmed... it's still on! Sounds like a nice enough chap too. :grin:

It depends on which class I'm at, whether or not I get nervous asking men to dance. There's one particular class in Bristol that I tend to hang around like a wallflower at, but my regular class is great (I'm not biased - everyone says it's the friendliest class by far - I think the key is that we don't take things too seriously!)

Originally posted by Steven
How was your evening of ceroc????? Bet it wasn't that scary at all!!
Love the avatar!!

Cheers! Will find out tonight! :wink: Just dying to find out the differences! :grin:

Rachel
28th-August-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Sounds like a nice enough chap too. :grin:If he's the same one I spoke to, he sounds Lovely!!

Enjoy tonight and let us know how it went, what the people were like, whether the teacher looks as good as his voice sounds ... etc etc

R.

Lou
29th-August-2002, 02:03 PM
*** flashes CEROC membership card number 103 109 ***

Well - What a lovely bunch of people in Bath! I went in as Johnny NoMates, but soon got chatting to Dee, the kind hearted Taxi Dancer & and another lass called Tracey. Had a cider shandy to settle my nerves & got stuck in.

Main difference I noticed:

The beginners class progressed quicker than in most LeRoc classes I've been to - however, it has to be said that there didn't appear to be anybody brand new last night, which probably helped.

It was odd to only have one teacher. Is that typical of CEROC? I'm used to a pair of teachers - one calling out the Men's steps, then the other calling out the Ladies', rather than one teacher & a demonstrator.

Taxi dancers - a great idea!

And you're right - hardly any mention of footwork whatsoever. Even looking at the female demonstrator, she varied her footwork from time to time, which I found disconcerting, but didn't seem to be a problem to anyone else.

No list of moves - this I thought was the only drawback, as they serve as a good "aid-memoire". And the teacher didn't say what the moves were called, but I guess that doesn't matter so much.

Anyway - I had a great time, met lots of lovely people, danced with some very talented and nice men. Yup - I'll definitely go back - and would reccomend the Bath class to anyone.

Rachel - the teacher was a real character, btw! But I think I mean it in a good way! :wink:

Rachel
29th-August-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Rachel - the teacher was a real character, btw! But I think I mean it in a good way! :wink:

Mmmmm, well you've certainly got me intrigued! Must go and see for myself sometime... Anyway, glad you had such a good time - hope it's the beginning of a very long and happy relationship with Ceroc. May even see you down there one time.
Rachel

Lou
29th-August-2002, 03:20 PM
Ooooh! Forgot to say - met a chap from Northampton, too! He was just down for the day. Sorry - can't remember his name.

Rachel
29th-August-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Ooooh! Forgot to say - met a chap from Northampton, too! He was just down for the day. Sorry - can't remember his name.

Was he any good? I mean, a good dancer?

Lou
29th-August-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Rachel

Was he any good? I mean, a good dancer?
*lol* :grin: :grin: :grin:

Actually I was really impressed with the standard of the majority of men. Dancing, that is. Yup - this chap was good. Tall, medium to stocky build (not fat stocky, more sporty stocky, if you know what I mean?), light brown hair.

Rachel
29th-August-2002, 04:05 PM
Hm, wonder who that was? I shall look out for him next time I'm there. It's quite possible I won't know him, though. While I may live in Northampton, it's by no means where I go most frequently. Not sure why ... just nice to see other places, really.

Isn't it a small world, when it comes to Ceroc, though?! I've given up thinking that there's any jive do's on anywhere in the country where there won't be one or two familiar faces. But I think things might be different when I'm up in Glasgow. Good thing they're friendly!