PDA

View Full Version : Repeat Moves?

gtman
31st-January-2004, 11:52 PM
Hi all,

Ok, I guess I'm still a beginner. Been doing this ceroc stuff for about 15-20 weeks and now 'Think' I know about 26 beginner moves. (are there 26? maybe an intermediate or 2 there to)
anyway, I just wondered. In freestyle I cant always remember ALL 26 moves but tend to repeat maybe 10 or so in various orders. Then I sit down and think, darn why didn't I do 'That move' thinking of one of my other 16.
So, is this normal. Or should I have a clear idea what moves/routine I'm going to do with each Girl. Does each girl expect different moves, or is repeating OK?

Thanks

Pete
1st-February-2004, 12:15 AM
I'd really like to know the answer to this question too. I seem to use the same moves over and over again and I do wonder if the woman gets bored, particularly if she experienced the same 'repertoire' when she danced with me the previous week.

Minnie M
1st-February-2004, 01:09 AM
One of the best dancers I have danced with (and a popular forumite) only uses about half a dozen moves - BUT how he performs them:drool:

I am sure lots of female forumites will recognise who I am talking about and agree :clap:

I would assume the moves you remember are the ones you feel most comfortable doing and therefore you become an expert in them, however I would have thought your repetoir would increase with more of these 'comfortable' moves with the addition of more classes.

(look forward to a dance at the BFB :hug: )

gtman
1st-February-2004, 01:24 AM
Yeh, I hope I'm getting better all the time. Always trying. And trying to add new moves. I'm even going to an advanced class tomorrow. Could be a disaster but what the heck. Couldn't be worse than my salsa. Been doing that for 7 months and still not confident with it.

Like I said, just wondered if other guys repeat stuff and if Girls notice. Or should i just have fun and not worry.

Dutchginger
1st-February-2004, 01:42 AM
Just have fun and don't worrry :grin:

fruitcake
1st-February-2004, 10:13 AM
Dear gtman.
What yer need m'love is to perfect the 10 moves or so you do well already, though it sounds like you are getting on fine with that.The gradually add one in from your repertoir of 26!
Every bloke has his own favourite moves, so the girl doesnt get fed up as she is changing partners all the time, getting plenty of variety.
But have fun, that's why your there!!!:wink:
Fruitcake

jivecat
1st-February-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Pete
I'd really like to know the answer to this question too. I seem to use the same moves over and over again and I do wonder if the woman gets bored, particularly if she experienced the same 'repertoire' when she danced with me the previous week.

Hi Pete (and Gtman)

I don't think you should worry about this at all. It is much better from the woman's point of view if you do a few simple moves well than attempt more ambitious moves and do them badly. A dance only lasts a few minutes; I think it would be unreasonably impatient if the lady got bored within this timeframe. In any case, repeating simple moves is a stage the leader has to go through in order to make progress and I am perfectly happy to help someone with that. It feels good to know that I have helped someone to practise and achieve something.

Speaking for myself, I very much doubt if I would notice or remember the exact sequence of moves that you were doing from week to week- especially when I first started, the evening would pass in a frenzied whirl(quite literally) and I would have trouble remembering my own name by the end of the night. And the ladies move from partner to partner and will get variety in that way, so you are probably far more conscious of repetition than they are.

Having said that, after dancing for a couple of years I am beginning to notice "trademark" combinations of moves. One of the guys at my local venue has a favourite, slightly unusual, move which hardly anyone else ever does- but he does this move every time I dance with him. Let me see, approximately once a week for 18 months or more, comes to, er, (fumbles with calculator) 72 and rising. It's got to the stage where a dance with him wouldn't be the same without it, like a kiss without a moustache. Or is that an egg without salt?

DavidB
1st-February-2004, 12:30 PM
10 standard moves seems about right, plus a handful of others that you might only do once a night when you remember. And after you have been doing classes for a few months, you will probably only like 1 move in 5 that you learn anyway.

If you gave me time (say a day!) I could probably come up with 40 moves, and I've been dancing since 1986. But I usually stick to about 15 that I can remember without taxing my brain. A lot of the time I'll start one move, and finish it with the ending of a different move. It looks like I know a lot more, but it is an illusion. I probably started about 50 Yoyos and 50 First Moves last night, and maybe finished 5 of each.

There are some people who know a lot more (eg teachers). And there are some people who love learning and doing as many moves as they can. But most men just do their own small set of moves.

The ladies don't get bored, because your set of moves are different to everyone else's set

David.

Nick M
1st-February-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by gtman
Hi all,
In freestyle I cant always remember ALL 26 moves but tend to repeat maybe 10 or so in various orders. Then I sit down and think, darn why didn't I do 'That move' thinking of one of my other 16.
So, is this normal.

Yes its normal

One way to counter this is to be aware of the people next to you, and watch what they are doing. Use their moves as a reminder for you (If you can be aware of what they are doing, at the same time as concentrating on your partner of course. Which isnt easy)

But at the end of the day, its not about numbers of moves, its about style, and about how you fit those moves to the music

gtman
1st-February-2004, 12:49 PM
Hay, good points there.
I like that idea of starting with one move and finishing with different ones. Makes it seem like you know double the moves you actually do.
A new venue I started going to recently seems especially good at teaching this (Gateshead)

So, JIVECAT what is the UNUSUAL move this guy you mentioned does?

Martin
1st-February-2004, 01:11 PM
Hay, good points there.
I like that idea of starting with one move and finishing with different ones. Makes it seem like you know double the moves you actually do.
A new venue I started going to recently seems especially good at teaching this (Gateshead)

I am doing less and less moves now, taught 100's. I keep it basic but PLAY as much as possible.

Sooo much good fun :clap:

jivecat
1st-February-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't know the name of the move but he sort of ducks under his own arm and looks rather like a man drowning. I know that doesn't make any sense!
I don't know if he reads the forum or not- I might be in trouble next time he sees me! Honestly, **** I love it, really!

DavidY
1st-February-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jivecat
I don't know the name of the move but he sort of ducks under his own arm and looks rather like a man drowning. I know that doesn't make any sense!
I don't know if he reads the forum or not- I might be in trouble next time he sees me! Honestly, **** I love it, really! *hastily runs through own repertoire of moves to think of any that might meet above description*
erm... where in the Midlands do you dance, Jivecat?

Bill
1st-February-2004, 08:35 PM
Don't worry about the number of moves you do' know...... in a few
months and years you'll know plenty of moves but still do your own favourites.

As Fruitcake says - women don't mind and actually much prefer fewer moves executed well than a lot of badly led moves. We still say this to new dances when taxi-ing but I don't think many new men believe us.

Some men still try tooo hard to throw ( literally) every move they know into every dance and so confuse women and actually provide a poorer dance than the men who lead fewer moves but lead tem well.

Relax, have fun and concentrate on the moves you like. :D :na:

jiveoholic
1st-February-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Pete

My question to you is whether YOU are getting bored with your own moves. After all you do not get a new set each time you dance with a lady! I regularly add a new move (and an old one flushes off then end). Also try changing your style with the same moves. You can change style because perhaps the music is different, perphaps the lady hops'n'skips rather than glides, perhaps you just feel in a different mood, or perhaps you are "experimenting"!

Pete
2nd-February-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by jiveoholic
My question to you is whether YOU are getting bored with your own moves. After all you do not get a new set each time you dance with a lady!

Hmm. I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. I am getting a bit bored with my moves. I tend to prefer moves that don't involve lots of complicated-arms-twisted-round-partner's-neck combinations (trying to keep my casualty rate to a minimum:( ) so I tend to rely on moves that I actually like doing, and there aren't many of them.

The advice generally seems to be to focus more on style and I think I will try to do that for a few weeks. Thanks for the tips

:cheers:

Lory
2nd-February-2004, 10:32 AM
For me, it all depends on who I'm dancing with. Sometimes, when the man's nice and relaxed and looks like his enjoying himself, I hardly even notice what individual moves we're doing at all, as long as it's in time and flows but when a man looks like his concentrating too hard or struggling to think of another move, I get anxious for them and then I can't help noticing.:blush:

My tip would be, every week or 2 weeks, pick 1 move out of your lesson that u really like and add it, when u have that one perfected, add another.

I agree with Jivecat, lot's of men DO have a signature move.:nice:

Gadget
2nd-February-2004, 11:15 AM
When dancing with first-timers, I try to keep to the same moves that were done in the beginner's class (Admittedly, it takes me half the dance to remember them all :blush: ) - that's only four moves. Mixing the order of them, changing the timimg subtally, getting them used to a pattern, then leading them into a simple variant. I think that it's more important that they relax so that they can enjoy the dance more.

I with almost everyone else, I experiment and throw different bits of different moves together. Unfortunatly, I don't think that I've had any dances that go exactly how I imagined :sick: But I'm really good at faking it now :waycool: {Honest gov. That was meant to happen - it's a new move I've been working on :innocent:}

I think that the first thing to aspire to is 'attitude' - the self confidence that the lady will not walk off in a huff if you only do three moves or screw one up. Just keep dancing. Secondary to this is learning how to lead the lady. Once you have worried enough about these, only then should the number of moves even be considedered.

gtman
2nd-February-2004, 01:14 PM
Yeh, so the key seems to be just relax. Try to enjoy it and look cool. Or if your not any of these just try and look as if you are :)

I like the tips about just adding a move or 2 each week from each lesson, if you like a new move and feel comfortable with it. Just what a dance teacher told me last night.

jivecat
2nd-February-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
*hastily runs through own repertoire of moves to think of any that might meet above description*
erm... where in the Midlands do you dance, Jivecat?

No. it's not you, David! Enjoyed the dance at Nottingham last Sat, though. Shame the music was so dire all evening. Real school disco music.

spindr
2nd-February-2004, 02:20 PM
Yeh, so the key seems to be just relax. Try to enjoy it and look cool. Or if your not any of these just try and look as if you are :)
Definitely!

One useful trick is to have a few extra "joins" that you can throw into the mix.
For example; if you do a first move -- then lead one with two turns out rather than one; if you do a return, why not make it a double or a travelling one, or add a comb, or throw in a couple of walks. Or playabout with the order of some moves; if you do an octopus (also known as a loophole or man/lady breakthrough) why always lead lady/man/lady/... mix it up and lead lady/lady/lady/man, etc., etc.

SpinDr.

Martin
2nd-February-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by spindr
Definitely!

One useful trick is to have a few extra "joins" that you can throw into the mix.
For example; if you do a first move -- then lead one with two turns out rather than one; if you do a return, why not make it a double or a travelling one, or add a comb, or throw in a couple of walks. Or playabout with the order of some moves; if you do an octopus (also known as a loophole or man/lady breakthrough) why always lead lady/man/lady/... mix it up and lead lady/lady/lady/man, etc., etc.

SpinDr.

Ahh I've been found out ! My secret is out...

Me I was starting to get bored with myself, now I just listen real hard to the music and play as much as possible (even been known to sing along :really: ), managed to incorporate some mambo, cha cha and salsa into the dances tonight - real basic stuff but so much fun.

I have now started to ask girls "what is your favorite move"
Then play with that one as well for a while during the evening...

spindr
2nd-February-2004, 02:59 PM
I hesitate a bit to suggest it -- but one idea I have used in the past is to try and dance all the variations on a move I could remember -- probably not terribly flowing, but it did mean there was a bit of variation.

(thinks: "neckbreak") leads: Neckbreak, False Neckbreak, Open Neckbreak, Neckbreak Waltz, Neckbreak Butterfly...
(aha, thinks "butterfly") leads: Butterfly, Reverse Butterfly...

Okay, okay -- good for practicing your lead and follow, but not terribly great in terms of musicality, etc. (At least it was better than some of my first efforts:
(thinks: "first move") leads: first move
(thinks: "must be something else I can remember") leads: first move
(thinks: "what did we do at the last class") leads: first move
(thinks: "oh yeah, there was that really good move, but I can't remember how to get the hands right") leads: first move
...)

SpinDr.

Martin
2nd-February-2004, 03:15 PM
I hesitate a bit to suggest it -- but one idea I have used in the past is to try and dance all the variations on a move I could remember -- probably not terribly flowing, but it did mean there was a bit of variation.

(thinks: "neckbreak") leads: Neckbreak, False Neckbreak, Open Neckbreak, Neckbreak Waltz, Neckbreak Butterfly...
(aha, thinks "butterfly") leads: Butterfly, Reverse Butterfly...

Okay, okay -- good for practicing your lead and follow, but not terribly great in terms of musicality, etc. (At least it was better than some of my first efforts:
(thinks: "oh yeah, there was that really good move, but I can't remember how to get the hands right") leads: first move
...)

SpinDr.

That first move is a goodie, I probably put it in about 4 or 5 times, but always with a different variation.

Bill
2nd-February-2004, 04:43 PM
These days I find that I stick my hand out and the rest of me just follows whatever the arm decides to do :what:

I do try and think of moves but my arms move morequickly than the rest of me - including the brain ( no surprise to those who know me) :sick: :cheers:

Gadget
2nd-February-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Bill
I do try and think of moves but my arms move morequickly than the rest of me - including the brain ( no surprise to those who know me) :sick: :cheers:
ladies... you have no idea how slowly he can make that arm move :wink::devil:

Jon
4th-February-2004, 12:09 AM
Then I sit down and think, darn why didn't I do 'That move' thinking of one of my other 16.
So, is this normal. Or should I have a clear idea what moves/routine I'm going to do with each Girl. Does each girl expect different moves, or is repeating OK?

This is exactly what I used to do as a beginner and still do today 2.5 years later. It's not the number of moves you know its how well they are executed and how smoothly the links are. Ladies love smooth links :wink:

As for thinking why didn't I do that move, just do it in the next dance. Even now I see people do moves I'd forgoten about and seeing them reminds me so in the next dance I do. Try watching people dance just to learn how they execute moves you already know then try it, it's an easy way of doing the same move but doing it slightly differently.

Lynn
4th-February-2004, 12:30 AM
(At least it was better than some of my first efforts:
...)
:rofl: That sounds like an exact description of what is going through some the guys heads in our class... you can see the look of concentration and then the slight annoyance as they realise they haven't got started the move they wanted to do and have just done the first move or catapult again. It must be frustrating and I'm sure it holds some back. Glad I'm a girl.

Guys, even if you only dance a few moves, and even if you get stuck in a two move loop for a few repeats - us girls are enjoying the dance with you anyway! :grin:

Bill
4th-February-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi all,

Then I sit down and think, darn why didn't I do 'That move' thinking of one of my other 16.

Thanks

That's how I usually feel after a competition :sick: :blush: ...have aa number of moves in my head that I really want to do then the music starts and bang..............they all disappear and I do my 'favourite' dozen moves and look like a terrified rabbit :tears: ..and I have that on video to prove it ( unfortunately !!!)

gtman
4th-February-2004, 01:26 PM
I Like what JON had to say about watching people to remind you of what moves to do in the next dance.
Trouble is, when I watch people they tend to do some moves I aint seen before and I think, woh, how did he do that.
Its especially scary when the girl you just danced with is something like a year ahead of you. You see her in the next dance with someone else and think boy she must have found my attempts really boring.

ChrisA
4th-February-2004, 01:38 PM
Its especially scary when the girl you just danced with is something like a year ahead of you. You see her in the next dance with someone else and think boy she must have found my attempts really boring.

Gary, save yourself a lot of heartache, and stop worrying about moves.

If you know 26 of them, that is pretty good going after 5 months.

- Do you dance them in time with the music 100% of the time?
- Do you lead them accurately, adapting your lead to your partners' ability to follow, with no excessive force at any time?
- Can you abort one of the 26 and turn it into something simpler instantly if the lady is a beginner and fails to follow?
- Do you listen to the music, and start and finish moves at the start and end of phrases respectively?

There are lots of other things like this to worry about before worrying about more moves.

Honest, mate. Work on what really gives the ladies pleasure on the dance floor - and for the most part, it ain't more and then yet more moves.

Or so I'm told :blush:

Chris

spindr
4th-February-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, one idea is to find a move that you're really comfortable with and then try and make it your own -- doesn't have to be hard just something that's a bit different. This gives you a few of advantages straight away:
1). it'll be in your favourite top ten.
2). easy for *you* to do.
3). something different for your partner.
oh and bonus points if you can get a smile doing it...
...the octuple-return may be in your top ten and easy for you, and it's probably memorable for yor follower -- but maybe not for the right reasons.

Hard to know which moves you find easy, but maybe just lead your follower to walk around you in a big circle for 4/8 beats (some people call this a round-the-world?) while you do something original in the centre of the circle on the spot. Be cool and snap your fingers, or caper about insanely doing "crazy legs" (that's me :) ), or turn the opposite direction under your own hand, or just rotate in the same direction as your partner "admiring the view". [Alternatively, just steal moves from dancers at far-flung venues and then dance them back at your local club.]

And then once you've got one original-style move, then why not two...

SpinDr.

gtman
4th-February-2004, 02:15 PM
- - Do you dance them in time with the music 100% of the time?
- Do you lead them accurately, adapting your lead to your partners' ability to follow, with no excessive force at any time?
- Can you abort one of the 26 and turn it into something simpler instantly if the lady is a beginner and fails to follow?
- Do you listen to the music, and start and finish moves at the start and end of phrases respectively?

ahhhhh, now I'm even more scared :)
Nah, just kidding.
Sure I do all of the above, or at least try. at least the music is easier to follow than salsa stuff.

ChrisA
4th-February-2004, 02:26 PM
Sure I do all of the above, or at least try. at least the music is easier to follow than salsa stuff.
Well just chill then, and enjoy.

If you can do all that lot after five months, you have no problems. I'd still be inclined to concentrate on musicality and all it involves (not that I'm any kind of authority on it) than more and more moves. You'll learn plenty of them quite naturally.

Oh yeah - and ask the good dancers to dance. As often as you can.

Chris

bobgadjet
5th-February-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I probably started about 50 Yoyos and 50 First Moves last night, and maybe finished 5 of each.
David.
That sounds like my type of dancing:rofl:.
Yes all thsi is just so right.
There can be, maybe, 40 or so moves that would be able to be done to one tune, BUT would they fit the frame of the music.
It would be better to do a few moves well, and hit those breaks, or maybe finish well, than do loads of moves that just dont fit in with the framing of the tune IMO.

Jon
6th-February-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Oh yeah - and ask the good dancers to dance. As often as you can.

I'm scared now! This is still hard to do after 2.5 years! :what:

Yogi_Bear
10th-February-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by jivecat
[b]
I don't know if he reads the forum or not- I might be in trouble next time he sees me! Honestly, **** I love it, really!

That sounds like a move usually known as the half nelson. Not one I would recommend for freestyle, but then I've been mistaken before.

To echo what has been said already, about 10 moves is a pretty good basis. You can add variations to these and try altering them subtly depending on gthe music, your partner, and the space you're dancing in. It isn't about knowing lots of flashy looking moves - it's about dancing tghe simple ones well. :cheers:

gtman
10th-February-2004, 01:04 AM
Yip, Thats what the dance teachers keep telling me.
Just get to know a few moves and do em well.
add an extra one now and then when I feel comfortable with them.
In fact a dance teacher told me the other day she'd be quite happy just doing 4 moves all night as long as they are done well.
Think I can manage a few more than that.

Its true what they tell beginners at this stuff. You think you'll never get it then it suddenly clicks and you find you have got it.
So all you other beginners out there, KEEP at it. Its great fun.

spindr
10th-February-2004, 02:10 AM
Well, one technique I realised I've been using for Salsa is to stop panicking about individual moves -- rather build some nice sequences of say 5 moves that flow well together and slot those together. You get some guarantee that at least bits of the dance will flow, you don't have to remember so many individual bits, etc., etc.

SpinDr.

gtman
10th-February-2004, 05:51 AM
ah well, I've been having big problems with Salsa.
Got to the point now where I do the lessons in clubs then sit the rest of the night to scared to get up.
Been learning it for about 9 months (once a week) so I should know lots of moves. But I find I still cant seem to dance it. Its just something about following the flow of the music. If it has a flow. Maybe its just me. Or maybe its the dance school I go too. I'm about to switch to a new one who teach in a lot of the clubs up here. Maybe they can show me where I'm going wrong.

Lynn
10th-February-2004, 09:48 AM
ah well, I've been having big problems with Salsa.
Got to the point now where I do the lessons in clubs then sit the rest of the night to scared to get up.
Been learning it for about 9 months (once a week) so I should know lots of moves. But I find I still cant seem to dance it. Its just something about following the flow of the music. If it has a flow. Maybe its just me. Or maybe its the dance school I go too. I'm about to switch to a new one who teach in a lot of the clubs up here. Maybe they can show me where I'm going wrong.
This sounds so familiar! I go dancing with a group of friends and several of us are learning both MJ and salsa. After our MJ class there is a salsa disco nearby and we often head round to that. Us girls are able to get up with the more experienced male dancers but the guys just sit there, wishing they could get up, but not feeling confident enough to get the music and the moves together. These same guys are fine about getting up in the MJ freestyle after our class, before the salsa disco, which shows that MJ is more ‘beginner-friendly’, (or might be some reflection of the fact that everyone is relatively new to MJ here, classes only started in Oct, compared to some having danced salsa for years).

I was also told, when I started salsa, that it takes about 9 months for it to feel comfortable for the guys - so maybe you are just about to reach that point! :grin:

gtman
10th-February-2004, 10:54 AM
Hay Lynn,

I hope your right. I'd love to be able to make some progress with it. Nice to know I'm not the only guy that sits it out :) I dont see many guys doing that up here. Then again most of the dance events and clubs I get to have more girls than guys.
Still think a change of school may help a bit as most of the moves my current one teaches are fine if you go as a couple. But as most of the girls I meet have learned at other places they aint learned the same moves as me. (not counting the simple stuff) I cant teach the girls steps that my dance teacher does, she just knows where to go. Doesnt help when i have to lead others.

Lynn
10th-February-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm just moving up to improvers tonight in my salsa class, (which has more girls than guys :tears: ) but have also started going to another beginners class on Fri night in the same venue and just before MJ class. Partly as some MJ friends go and its fun to go together (more guys than girls in that class :clap: ) also because I'm finding it good to learn the basics again with another teacher. There does seem to be more variation in salsa than MJ. And the teachers have very different styles, the one I went to started with steps, the new one I am going to is also starting with steps but more emphasis on finding the beat (right from week one), another teacher (who is in my MJ class) starts with lead and follow. (As I am only beginner I can only compare the teaching styles at beginner level.) So going to a different class will probably be useful for you.

gtman
10th-February-2004, 12:38 PM
Well I just did it.
Contacted the other dance school over here who specialise in salsa and told them I'd be along on sunday (school day for me :) )
I get double the lesson time for the same price too. Cant be bad.
Then I called my old school and told them I'm dropping out. Feel better already. Lets hope it works.

jivecat
10th-February-2004, 03:09 PM

Although ladies enjoy dancing with skilled and accomplished leaders there are lots of other things they like too. So although it may appear to you that another bloke has more to offer in terms of exciting dancing it's quite possible that the girl who is 1 year ahead of you values you just as much, or more, for a variety of different reasons.

1. You might have a particularly nice smile.
2. You might have a great personality.
3. You might be more relaxing to dance with than the hotshot who has rapidly moved on to an even more experienced/prettier/younger/whatever dancer.
4. You might make her feel good by asking her to dance rather than the other way around.
5. By asking/hoping that someone will help you out with steps/moves you build up an enjoyable friendly relationship of trust and shared experience.
6. Your face is familiar and friendly amongst a sea of intimidating strangers.
7. She gets a buzz out of your keenness to learn and likes being helpful.
8. You flatter her ego by suggesting that you find it particularly easy/helpful/enjoyable to dance with her.
9. She likes the way you look/smell/dress. (Yes, we do notice)
10.She can spot your obvious potential and thinks that by dancing with you now you might still be willing to give her the occasional dance when you become a hotshot.

Modern jive is primarily a social activity and if you can score highly on the above list ( not too difficult, I think) then ladies will still enjoy dancing with you even if you don't think your technique & repertoire is as good as you'd like it to be. But it will be! Don't panic! Keep at it! Don't worry! Essentially the same message as everyone else.

gtman
10th-February-2004, 04:07 PM
Hay JiveCat,

Thanks for the Dating tips.
God I hope your right and Girls like me for more than just how good or bad I dance. But hay, I'll worry about that later.
When I'm on the dance floor I only worry about those moves.
Any other moves I mite make on a girl can come later :) Just kidding. Dont worry girls. Like i said, on the dance floor I only make dance moves :) Still a beginner in many things. So If I forget to get up when you leave the room or forget to walk you to your car (Burke) I'll do better next time.

sarahw31
10th-February-2004, 05:51 PM
GTman, you are lovely to dance with! I don't know what you are worrying about!
You score highly on all of Jivecats 10 points, especially number 10 :wink:
Here's hoping you don't forget me when you join the ranks of the 'hotshots'....
See you on Wednesday at Newcastle :cheers:

bobgadjet
10th-February-2004, 07:01 PM

When I'm on the dance floor I only worry about those moves.

Why?:confused:
Why worry? I don't get it:confused:
Ask yourself "what do I go dancing for?"
IMHO if you are worrying about "moves" on or off the dancefloor:) you are going about life in the wrong way.
If you can make just 6 - 8 moves fit perfectly to a tune by being smooth and maybe hitting most of the breaks, escpecially on a tune you know really well then you will impress almost any partner, whether they are experienced, a beginner, or even a superstar.
A partner will respect you more for how you dance, not how many moves you can fit into 3 1/2 minutes.
It's all been said before and I think I'm just backing others up. IMO the more you worry about anything, the longer it takes to conquer the problem, if indeed there is a problem.
Those who have obviously danced with you tell you that you have nothing to worry about, so, chill out :waycool: the moves will come in time, be patient and just enjoy your evenings for the enjoyment they give you, and you give others.
:cheers:

gtman
10th-February-2004, 07:17 PM
Ok than, I won't worry.
At least not as long as Sarah remembers which table I'm sitting at and keeps coming back there to sit down :)
I just hope my Salsa and Ballroom will be impressive enough when you decide to give that a whirl.

see ya

sergio
13th-February-2004, 09:33 PM
Yes repeating moves is ok, you are not expected to do 20 odd diff moves in one song.

Unregistered
1st-April-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
The ladies don't get bored, because your set of moves are different to everyone else's set
What about the bloke getting bored though? My brain turns to mush after the second time through if I try to stick to a routine like I've been told I probably should.

Gadget
1st-April-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
What about the bloke getting bored though? My brain turns to mush after the second time through if I try to stick to a routine like I've been told I probably should.
Stick to a routine :what: I've been going to Ceroc for mumble mumble years and still can never get the beginners routine right every time. Too used to developing my own patterns I suppose :blush:

I'm afraid that this is the main reason for me varying my moves - never mind the ladies getting bored: I do.
In saying that, you probably should follow the routine..., at least until you can do each of the moves outwith the order they were presented. :wink:

Unregistered
1st-April-2004, 05:11 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. :)

under par
24th-May-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by jiveoholic
My question to you is whether YOU are getting bored with your own moves. After all you do not get a new set each time you dance with a lady! I regularly add a new move (and an old one flushes off then end). Also try changing your style with the same moves.

I found that I was getting bored with my own moves and felt inadequate because I couldn't recall in freestyle all the other 100s of moves I had been taught over 2 and 1/2 years.

PLAN. 1.write down the moves I like from every subsequent lesson. not the whole lesson just the moves I got on well with.:flower:

2.Repeatedly recording these sets of moves, from every lesson

3.then during freestyle as soon as I get "bored" with repitition,

4.sit out a dance and look at list :na:

5.then try to use 2 to 4 moves from list during next few dances.

when 3. occurs again, repeat 4 and 5 again:wink:

variety is the spice of life

Yogi_Bear
9th-August-2004, 10:02 PM
It's possible to use nothing more than say a first move - with a few variations - and a travelling return for a whole dance, and still make it enjoyable and look cool. At least, that's what I keep telling myself when my mind starts to go balnk towards the end of the evening... ;)