PDA

View Full Version : Warmups

Gadget
28th-January-2004, 11:51 PM
Taken from another thread - what are peoples thougts on "Warmups" before the beginners classes (or as part of them)

Personally, I like to have a "warmup" dance to 'get my eye in' as it were - test my shoes on the floor, stretch a bit, try leading a few quick hand passing moves, smooth a few things out...
In Salsa, the classes I went to, there was a basic "this is how you step, turn..." before the beginners classes: I found that this helped. How it could be introduced (in a positive way) to Ceroc I don't know.

bigdjiver
29th-January-2004, 03:17 AM
I have not got there in time to hear the preamble, but apparantly another motive is to teach better footwork. This should make for better dancing, but maybe less dancers. Maybe the increased learning curve will deter a few, maybe a better standard will attract more.

Geordieed
29th-January-2004, 02:43 PM
:D To add to that I would like to make request. When anyone does a workshop that involves a little stretching of the muscles and use of weight distribution (more importantly for lifts/drops workshops like we find on workshop weekends) can the teachers do warm up and warm down exercises.

Having to breakdown moves that then require couples to repeat that move time and time again needs a bit of stretching and warming up first. I don't recommend just walking into a class environment and jumping straight into it.

I know some people do warm ups but then forget to warm down the couples at the end.:cheers:

Chris
29th-January-2004, 03:05 PM
I support warm-ups though my experience is very limited - watching and participating in NZ and having them at the beginning of all the few classes I've taught. Most of the points have been made well I believe by James Geary on another thread. I'd add a) I think that when a rhythmic exercise is done at the end of the warm up it improves timing and hitting the beat accurately (everyone practices together and you see if you are a fraction out) and b) I reckon the stretching improves your dancing because you are needing to make less affort stretching less during the dance (rather than stretching to near capacity).

A good point about warm-downs. I've only taught them after some drops classes, but Andy and Rena do fab warm downs after their aerials. Not seen them done after an ordinary class. I almost always do a warm up personally now before dancing (I try to do it in the loo as I feel self-conscious if no-one else does).

Sheepman
29th-January-2004, 03:38 PM
I find it one of the most difficult, and beneficial, parts of the class, Amir's regular warm up at the start of a Tuesday's class. The most impressive warm up routine I've done, was from Robert Cordoba, this had a profound (I don't dare say good!) affect on my dancing.

Greg

Geordieed
29th-January-2004, 03:46 PM
Are you talking about the one near Shepherds Bush.

Sheepman
29th-January-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
near Shepherds Bush. nearish, last February, inspiring stuff, from the guy Nigel has referred to as "The best dancer on the planet".

Greg

Geordieed
29th-January-2004, 04:19 PM
Did one of his workshops where he used body isolations in the warm up. Warmed up the class emotionally as well.

Just started watch some more dance footage of Tatiana and Jordan. Crickey!

Sheepman
29th-January-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
Tatiana and Jordan. Crickey!
Who are they?

Greg

JamesGeary
29th-January-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Who are they?

Greg

www.cbs.com
Star Search 2
Young Dancer

Bill
2nd-February-2004, 04:50 PM
Two different types of warm up here.

When I first started at Ceroc I always tried to get a few dances before the class started for the reasons Gadget outlines. I felt that moving the muscles and relax a little helped when I did the class. Most folk stand around or sit for a while then get up and do the class.

Doing a 'proper' warm up of bending, stretching etc.. could be very beneficial to us all and especially if we are doing any dips or seducers :na:

bigdjiver
2nd-February-2004, 08:06 PM
I have been searching for a :dunce: smiley. If anybody does not like warm-ups, then they simply have to delay joining the class until they are over. Duuh

Brady
4th-February-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Who are they?

Greg

Have a look at Jordan & Tatiana's (http://www.jordantatianaswing.com/) website. They are amazing! Not only have they been on Star Search, but they also won $25,000 on another US national talent program called 30 Seconds to Fame.

Minnie M
5th-February-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
www.cbs.com
Star Search 2
Young Dancer

What a cool site - shame I can't play anything tho :tears:

Sheepman
5th-February-2004, 02:30 PM
Me neither :confused: :tears:
Greg

Bill
6th-February-2004, 01:45 AM
Lorna started the 'warm ups' at her class tonight but I missed it ! Seems to have gone down well enough though.

Maybe that's why most folk picked up the Intermediate moves so well :D

Lorna
7th-February-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah, the Aberdonions, as far as I know, are the first in Scotland to try out the new warm up technique as suggested from Ceroc HQ. Thank you all for giving it a go. I really enjoyed it and from what I saw, the absolute beginners picked up the first move, (armjive swizzle) really well. Spoke to Franck to tell him and I'm sure that Perth will be next. :wink:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Bill
9th-February-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Lorna
Yeah, the Aberdonions, as far as I know, are the first in Scotland to try out the new warm up technique as suggested from Ceroc HQ. Lotsa love Lorna x-x

er...............in a few months time will the warm up for all of us be sitting on a chair swinging our feet :grin: :na: :cheers:

sarahw31
19th-February-2004, 10:57 PM
Sorry :blush: ......my sense of humour is warped :rofl:

Chris
23rd-February-2004, 02:57 PM
There seems to be more men than women doing the 'head-nodding' warm-up - maybe that's cos with men their heads usually 'roll'.

Nicola
15th-March-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi 2 everyone talking about walm ups!

The ceroc 'walm-up' is not aiming to be a walm-up. I agree walming up is important but the goal of 'ceroc-essentials' is actaully to train beginners in the importance of the basics such as stepping forward and backwards at the start and end of each move and arm tension.

This is something a lot of biginners don't get for a long time!

I hope this helps!

X

Chris
16th-March-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Nicola
The ceroc 'walm-up' is not aiming to be a walm-up. I agree walming up is important but the goal of 'ceroc-essentials' is actaully to train beginners in the importance of the basics such as stepping forward and backwards at the start and end of each move and arm tension.

Hi Nicola

Nice to hear the view, especially as you are (I assume) talking as a CTA Ceroc teacher - often we have to forage about until the 'official' line surfaces.

I've yet to see one yet - looking forward to it. Sounds very different to what appear to be the aims of the NZ Ceroc Warm Ups which cover quite a bit more (though not arm tension - most warm ups I've seen seem to be partnerless - good point!)

The average salsa warm up has other benefits again, particular timing and cardiovascular (oops - just changed that after I wrote 'audiovascular' lol).

Does anyone else do their own warm-ups before a freestyle? I often feel a bit self-conscious. The odd Kiwi dancer and occasionally people at the weekenders do. Yet lots of dancers will at least do some stretches before a workshop - why not before freestyle I wonder?

Leo
16th-March-2004, 08:02 PM
I am all for warm up's.

Has anyone ever been to any other type of exersise class that didn't involve warming up and stretching.

How many people moan about pulled muscles and aches and pains the following morning? Too many. I hate to put on my phisio hat here but it's about time ceroc caught up.

Nick M
17th-March-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Does anyone else do their own warm-ups before a freestyle? I often feel a bit self-conscious.

Yes, i do, and I feel selfconscious about it too. But having pulled a muscle or two before now, I think its a wise precaution

Nick

Gary
17th-March-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Chris

Does anyone else do their own warm-ups before a freestyle? I often feel a bit self-conscious.

Yes, and me too, but looking silly is better than being injured (and having to miss out on some dancing).

I'll try to do the sillier looking stretches far away from the dance floor if there's someplace convenient.

I believe that I should be stretching after dancing, but am usually too tired.

Bill
18th-March-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Gary

I believe that I should be stretching after dancing, but am usually too tired.

All you have to do is ask your kind friendly DJ to play some nice 'bluesy' tracks at the start and end of the night ( and maybe all the way through the evening) so you can dance at the pace I do in which case you'll not pull any muscle...........well difficult when you're almost standing still. :rolleyes: :na:

But Lorna even had the class putting their hands up on Tuesday .....and most of them followed:D .......... and I certainly think it helps get people moving and begin to think about their tension and the step back..

Lorna
18th-March-2004, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill
[B]

But Lorna even had the class putting their hands up on Tuesday .....and most of them followed:D ..........

Mmmm...... yes that was a bit cheeky, but entertaining, sorry everyone. :blush:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Bill
18th-March-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Lorna
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill
[B]

But Lorna even had the class putting their hands up on Tuesday .....and most of them followed:D ..........

Mmmm...... yes that was a bit cheeky, but entertaining, sorry everyone. :blush:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

but it shows they were actually listening..................:D :na: and how dood a teacher you must be :whistle: :clap:

Bill
18th-March-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Bill
but it shows they were actually listening..................:D :na: and how dood a teacher you must be :whistle: :clap:

sorry.....that should read ' how good'........ one too many glasses of wine :sick: :rolleyes:

Pammy
19th-March-2004, 02:26 PM
sorry.....that should read ' how good'........ one too many glasses of wine :sick: :rolleyes:

Shouldn't that be glass? How many glasses do you drink at once Bill? :what: :rofl:

Bill
19th-March-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
Shouldn't that be glass? How many glasses do you drink at once Bill? :what: :rofl:

oh just three or four........which is why I have so much washing up to do........................:D :rolleyes:

not being pedantic are we??????:na:

thewacko
19th-April-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by sarahw31
Sorry :blush: ......my sense of humour is warped :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: will somebody stop the world I want to get off

under par
19th-April-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Nick M
Yes, i do, and I feel selfconscious about it too. But having pulled a muscle or two before now, I think its a wise precaution

Nick

i always start a freestyle evening with 2 dances that involve mainly beginner moves to warm up.
I do not try any over physical moves and certainly no leans or seducers until after these two warm up dances.
To date I have avoided any muscle pulls etc.

Rentaghost
21st-April-2004, 04:52 PM
Our wonderful teacher Gordon took us through the "Cha Cha Slide" as our warm-up last week. Pure genius!

I'm hoping for "The Birdie Song" next time....:rofl:

Sarah

Gordon J Pownall
4th-May-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Rentaghost
Our wonderful teacher Gordon took us through the "Cha Cha Slide" as our warm-up last week. Pure genius!

I'm hoping for "The Birdie Song" next time....:rofl:

Sarah

That can be arranged - there is no end to my warm up talent!!!!! :really:

And no end to the ability of the most amazing audience a teacher could wish for i.e. the Maidstone dancers to be 'up for it' either!!! :worthy:

Andy McGregor
5th-May-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Gordon J Pownall
And no end to the ability of the most amazing audience a teacher could wish for i.e. the Maidstone dancers to be 'up for it' either!!! :worthy:

I this the amazing Maidstone audience that includes people who smoke at the side of the dance floor? Or have they changed their smoking policy at Maidstone Ceroc:sick:

Maybe you should do a warm up to 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes' or 'Cry Me a River':devil:

Gordon J Pownall
5th-May-2004, 01:56 AM
Sometimes Andy, I do think that you go on the forum to make smart comments at the expense of your own credibility.

Never seen you at Maidstone - probably because it is a smoking venue - don't like it - don't go!

Don't really see the point of your message or is it to stir up trouble and then sit back and watch???

Please don't answer....

Andy McGregor
5th-May-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Gordon J Pownall
Sometimes Andy, I do think that you go on the forum to make smart comments at the expense of your own credibility.

Never seen you at Maidstone - probably because it is a smoking venue - don't like it - don't go!

Don't really see the point of your message or is it to stir up trouble and then sit back and watch???

Please don't answer....

Hey, this is a good tactic. Criticise someone and then finish your posting by saying 'please don't answer...' in the expectation that they won't stick up for themselves.

Well I won't.

Hee, hee, hee.

Gadget
19th-May-2004, 12:18 PM
Lorna mentioned that the Ceroc Collective were meeting to discuss the 'warm-up' and how it's working. I thought it would be a good time to resurrect this thread and see if there is any more feedback from us drones.

(If you ignore the last few posts ranting, it's actually quite an informative thread)

{There is also this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2425) }

Bill
19th-May-2004, 01:34 PM
Although sceptical about its introduction I actually think the ''warm up' has turned out to be quite a good idea especially for the absolute beginners who will struggle with the moves.

Just listening to the music and getting used to the tension and the stepping back and forward shoudl help introduce new dancers to the basics of ceroc.

The later arrival of many more 'experienced' dancers suggests that they might not appreciate the warm up but still think it's worth retaining.

TheTramp
19th-May-2004, 01:56 PM
The later arrival of many more 'experienced' dancers suggests that they might not appreciate the warm up but still think it's worth retaining. Don't see how you draw that conclusion at all Bill.

I'd have said that the later arrival of many more 'experienced' dancers suggests that they don't appreciate the warm up, and wish it wasn't there, and will avoid it if at all possible. But that's what I just read into it of course.

I'm interested in how you get the fact that they avoid doing it mean that they think it's worth retaining?? They may have said that to you, but that isn't apparent from what you've said....

(Please note that this isn't an opinion of the 'Ceroc essentials'. Just disagreeing with Bill. For a change :na: ).

Trampy

Emma
19th-May-2004, 01:59 PM
Looks to me like Bill has left out an 'I' there, Steve :)

TheTramp
19th-May-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Looks to me like Bill has left out an 'I' there, Steve :) Yeah. If that's what he meant, it'd make more sense. And I wouldn't have to disagree with him.

But where would be the fun in that? :wink:

Trampy

Bill
19th-May-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Looks to me like Bill has left out an 'I' there, Steve :)

Yep........... the 'I' would make more sense. Trampy was right though....without it the sentence doesn't make sense. But then I don't make sense most of the time either :rolleyes: :sick:

I think the 'essentials' are a good introduction for the beginners and at least everyone else can join in with the moves when they arrive.

Be interesting to hear from others...................... unfortunately not many beginners on the forum so short of asking them directly difficult to get a consensus.

Little Em
19th-May-2004, 04:30 PM
well from a new venue point of view.................

ceroc central have just opened new venue in rugby! which started about the same that the warm up was introduced....so our new bunch of cerocers haven known any different....

they seem to enjoy their warm up....really swing their hips into it!!! :wink: but maybe that is just because they r a v. enthusiastic beginner bunch!!! :what:

i have asked them what they think and they do like the warm up as it gently eases them into it!
and ..........you cant make everybody like everything!!

at some other longer standing venues...... we have the majority of peps joining in, but you will always get some that dont want to do the warm up............. dont know why .....????? does anybody have the answer...?

little em x

:innocent:

TheTramp
19th-May-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by littleemc-central
they seem to enjoy their warm up....really swing their hips into it!!! :wink:

~snip~

but you will always get some that dont want to do the warm up............. dont know why .....????? does anybody have the answer...? They are enjoying watching the others swinging their hips??? :whistle:

Trampy

Little Em
19th-May-2004, 04:42 PM
i dont know what you mean!!! :innocent:

but hey if thats what it takes to retain our beginners im not complaining!!! ...........
little em x

TheTramp
19th-May-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by littleemc-central
i dont know what you mean!!! :innocent:

but hey if thats what it takes to retain our beginners im not complaining!!! ...........I'm a beginner. Can I be your beginner?? :whistle:

Trampy

Little Em
19th-May-2004, 04:59 PM
well if your a beginner then my only answer would have to b yes of course.....! :grin:

but.....seen as i know that your not!!! (well maybe in some peps eyes u r?!?! ooh:wink: )
.....r we still talking bout warm ups here?!? im easily distracted here aren i!?!?

;)

well its that time of the day where i get to go home!!! :clap:

so till tomoz..............

em x :innocent: