PDA

View Full Version : Bisley announces closure( tuesday only)

Simon r
28th-January-2004, 07:21 AM
Yesterday was a sad day for bisley ,and i think social dancing
Marilany and Victor have decided to close the venue as after a year of promotion and style variations, there still seemed very low intrest.
I read a thread a few weeks ago how many members rated dancers and teachers ,and rated victor as top notch ,I agree but with so many venues opening on the same nights how are these teachers going to maintain a venue and following.
Marilany will still continue with west coast swing on a friday night at the venue..
Having given a year to the cause myself i feel very sad and hope this is not the first of many to fall through over subscription in an area..

ChrisA
28th-January-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Simon r
Yesterday was a sad day for Bisley, and I think social dancing

Indeed.

Having recently joined Marilene's team as a demo for her beginners class, and spent most of the Tuesdays over the last few months down there, I was completely gutted to hear this yesterday.

I have had a lot of fun there recently - the venue has a nice floor, some very nice dancers, space to dance, the music has been varied and interesting, and the classes great fun too - Viktor's in particular have been the best classes he's taught anywhere in recent times, IMHO.

The atmosphere has been delightful too - and I put this down in no small measure to Marilene's quiet and sweet style of leadership.

And indeed the rest of her team - it's quite an achievement, I believe, to run five classes in two dance styles, in two rooms in one venue in an hour and a half - and then have some good quality freestyle as well.

I feel very privileged to have been able to share in that atmosphere in recent months, and indeed honoured to have got to know Marilene a bit better too. She is a real treasure - a lovely dancer, and a very sweet, genuine and hard-working person whom I'm proud to know.

I will really miss it. My very best wishes to Marilene for whatever she does next, and my hopes for lots of future dances with her and the others there too.

Chris

Lounge Lizard
28th-January-2004, 12:33 PM
hi Simon
that's a real shame but not unexpected
It may have more to do with the location of Bisley. it is a bit out of the way.
There are so many changes going on in that area with Simon now Ceroc plus. sad tho.
C U Thursday? have a great new Kylie track for you:wink:
LL

Sheepman
28th-January-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm really dissapointed to hear this news too, even though I could not be a regular on Tuesday's, due to duties at Hipster's (part of the competition!) I know Marilene's love of, and commitment to dance, and it is a real shame. If I was able, I'm sure the 60 mile round trip would not have put me off being more regular.
:tears: :tears:
Greg

spindr
29th-January-2004, 03:07 PM
It's a shame Bisley's had to close on Tuesday's -- even tho' I've only been there very occasionally -- always seemed a bit too far for me (on a "school night").

As a FYI if you've got the Salsa bug from Victor's classes then check out: www.justdance.net - classes on Tuesday's (in Basingstoke)
www.salsaambiente.com - classes in Fleet (on a Wednesday)

Hopefully the Friday classes will go from strength to strength.

SpinDr.

Lounge Lizard
30th-January-2004, 10:27 AM
Ceroc Plus is opening on Tuesdays at HG Wells, Woking from 17th Feb
So this would have had a big impact on Bisley

ChrisA
30th-January-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Ceroc Plus is opening on Tuesdays at HG Wells, Woking from 17th Feb
So this would have had a big impact on Bisley
Yep, words like "nails" and "coffin" come to mind :tears:

However...

... there are TWO more Tuesday nights at Bisley - next Tuesday (3rd Feb) and the one after (10th Feb).

It seems very likely, given the voices of support from quite a few, that the last two will be well-attended, so if anyone wants to do something a bit different and see what they've been missing, come on down. Despite it being out of London, it's pretty easy to find.

You need to pay attention, though, in Viktor's class. He takes no prisoners... :wink: :devil:

Chris

stewart38
30th-January-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
hi Simon
that's a real shame but not unexpected
It may have more to do with the location of Bisley. it is a bit out of the way.
There are so many changes going on in that area with Simon now Ceroc plus. sad tho.
C U Thursday? have a great new Kylie track for you:wink:
LL

300 people use to turn up a line dancing in Bisley so its not the location.