PDA

View Full Version : Cold Snap

stewart38
26th-January-2004, 11:21 AM
Ok for you chaps in Scotland particularly those living " in the hills" I guess snow is fairly common

I wonder what will happen in the UK this week with the coming of the long awaited 'cold snap'

I doubt whether the Southeast will get more then 1 inch of snow which will cause traffic chaos and mayhem

Is it because we are not use to snow that we can't cope ?

There was more salt at Southall station today (London) then I have seen in my life maybe they will be 'prepared'.

:cool:

Paul F
26th-January-2004, 02:19 PM
I have to get the train to Liverpool everyday.

Im dreading the 'wrong kind of snow' which will inevitably cause chaos.

Shame, I love snow as well.

Pammy
26th-January-2004, 02:58 PM
I have my plastic sledge at the ready :wink:

Px

Will
26th-January-2004, 03:41 PM
Well I'm in Aberdeen with The Tramp, a bucket, and a spade. The sun is shining so I'm hoping to return to London with a bit of a tan tomorrow night.

Jayne
26th-January-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Will
a bit of a tan tomorrow night.

Does this mean that you'll be back in time for Hipsters on Wednesday??

Snow - yeah! Bring it on!

J :nice:

TheTramp
26th-January-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Will
Well I'm in Aberdeen with The Tramp I'm in Aberdeen???

But.... They said that this was Dundee.

Unless, the person next to you is an imposter!!

Will the real Slim Trampy, please stand up :na:

Steve

Bill
26th-January-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
Is it because we are not use to snow that we can't cope ?

:cool:

that and the fact that we are all such hardy butch people here ( well most of the men at least :na: :rolleyes: ). You southern softies don't know what cold is :D

Mind you that rather large Newcastle supporter at the Liverpool game - the one with no top on looked "well 'ard ". But then Newcastle is almost in Scotland.

Why, even wimpy Tramp is shaping up to be a tough honourary Scot...even though he's not 100% English anyway.

No snow here yet but some very dark clouds fast approaching. Feel like a hobit waiting for the army to arrive at the gates :sick:

Mary
26th-January-2004, 05:24 PM
Well I've just come back from a week of loads of snow and lots of sunshine and it was fab!! So there.:na:

M

TheTramp
26th-January-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Why, even wimpy Tramp is shaping up to be a tough honourary Scot...even though he's not 100% English anyway.
He's not 0.001% English either!

Steve

Bill
26th-January-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
He's not 0.001% English either!

Steve

and now you're almost Scottish :rolleyes:

Hope you make it up tomorrow............... might have to take along a few choice CD's in case :D

and if it's very cold what is it that might snap ?? :innocent:

TheTramp
26th-January-2004, 06:16 PM
and now you're almost Scottish :rolleyes:

Hope you make it up tomorrow............... might have to take along a few choice CD's in case :D

and if it's very cold what is it that might snap ?? :innocent: It's funny really.

Lived in England for 6.5 years. Didn't in any way think of myself as being English at all.

Have lived in Scotland for 0.5 years. Feel pleased whenever anyone says I'm an honourary Scot :D

I'll be there tomorrow if I possibly can be. I'm a poor student. Can't afford to miss a nights work :tears:

Feel free to bring the CDs anyhow. I'm sure you've got some great tunes that I don't have. (This applies to anyone).

Of course, if I'm not there, you might find a slight lack of equipment to play them on!

As for the rest of your message, I've got tears in my eyes now! :D

Steve

Bill
27th-January-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
It's funny really.

Of course, if I'm not there, you might find a slight lack of equipment to play them on!

As for the rest of your message, I've got tears in my eyes now! :D

Steve

Ah well............... I'm sure Lorna could get a good old sing song going. She can get folk to be quiet so I'msure she could get them to sing :D

Remember to lag up well you don't want any cracks in your plumbing :wink:

fruitcake
27th-January-2004, 12:11 PM
OOh you boys are naughty!

Getting back on track, I don't know much about it, but I do know that in places like Scandinavia and even the Arctic(!!!), the world doesnt stop going roung cos there's a bit of snow.
They have all mod cons for keeping wam and driving safely and smoothly-apparently.
:waycool:

Chris
27th-January-2004, 04:58 PM
It's just started snowing in central edinburgh . . .

Penfold
27th-January-2004, 04:59 PM
It's now snowing up here in Aberdeen as well

Will
27th-January-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Penfold
It's now snowing up here in Aberdeen as well

Aye! - There's a wee chill in the airrr noooow

Monika
27th-January-2004, 05:49 PM
...places like Scandinavia... Well - as a true "Norwegian Viking" (despite living in Scotland for 2.5 + a bit years...) I can only speak for Norway - then again Denmark hardly ever get any snow and Sweden probably more than Norway, but you're right Fruitcake: The world certainly doesn't stop with a bit of snow - not even loads of snow! Major parts of the country covered in snow for several months every year (up to 8 months up north..!). But we know there will be winter so all prepared for it: For instance we change to special winter tyres in October/November time and normally don't change back to summer type ones until after Easter some time. Weather dependent. Traffic normally OK whatever the weather and no sign of abandonded cars etc.
A lot of houses have double- or triple (gas-filled!) glazing and certainly no single glass versions - most rooms have heated floors (electrical or water - sea-water pumps). Near homes for elderly and some hospitals there are electrical heating under the tarmac to ensure they can walk safely - often use special "studs" you "click on" for shoes and lot's of special warm clothing etc etc We learn to respect weather in Norway. Funnily enough any day of the year - no matter how cold - here you'll see Scots wandering about in T-shirt and still manage to look cool & comfortable.. (not recommended due to health reasons obviously, but still).
Keep warm and take care
Mon x :)

Lory
27th-January-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Monika
no matter how cold - here you'll see Scots wandering about in T-shirt and still manage to look cool & comfortable.. :)

Definitly no Scottish blood in me then, I bloomin HATE the cold! :sad:

Heather
27th-January-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Lory
Definitly no Scottish blood in me then, I bloomin HATE the cold! :sad:

They breed them tough up here Lory!!!!:rofl: :rofl:
(And NO, they're not all members of the MAd Crew!!!)

I hate the cold as well, roll on Summer and 3 weeks in Greece!!!!!

:hug:
Heather,
X

sarahw31
27th-January-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm snowed in :tears: ( Northumberland)
Couldn't get out to go dancing tonight :tears: :tears:

DavidY
27th-January-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Monika
...places like Scandinavia... I was in Finland earlier this month, and like Monika says they're geared up to cope with snow without problems. However I think the difference is that they always get lots of snow, so I guess the authorities can buy, for example, fleets of snow ploughs safe in the knowledge they'll be used regularly throughout the winter months, and you can employ folk to drive them who will have a regular job through the winter.

In the UK if you had a big fleet of snowploughs they'd stand idle for most of the year, costing taxpayers' money, because we don't get snow all the time here, just on odd occasions.

IMO the problem in the UK is not just the weather, but how much it varies...

bobgadjet
27th-January-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by DavidY

IMO the problem in the UK is not just the weather, but how much it varies...

Probably the only place you can get all four seasons in one day:D

Tazmanian Devil
28th-January-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by bobgadjet
Probably the only place you can get all four seasons in one day:D

:rofl: :rofl: that sounds about right!!

Bill
28th-January-2004, 06:09 PM
Just been sent home from work at 4.00pm.........such a shame :tears: :rolleyes: :D

Some studying I think then and some dance videos :cheers:

Jayne
28th-January-2004, 06:21 PM
WOOHOO!!!!

It started snowing 15 minutes ago here at the Hammersmith and it's turned into a winter wonderland already!! This doesn't bode well for the tubes running for me to get to dancing tonight... :tears:

bobgadjet
28th-January-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
WOOHOO!!!!

It started snowing 15 minutes ago here at the Hammersmith and it's turned into a winter wonderland already!! This doesn't bode well for the tubes running for me to get to dancing tonight... :tears:

Where are you going?

Jayne
28th-January-2004, 06:24 PM
Hipsters of course!

Lory
28th-January-2004, 06:32 PM
I've just looked out my window, 20mins ago it was clear, now the snow is 3" thick and falling fast!:what:

Hmm decisions decisions, will there be anyone to dance with at Ashtons tonight, if i risk the drive:confused:

bobgadjet
28th-January-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Lory
I've just looked out my window, 20mins ago it was clear, now the snow is 3" thick and falling fast!:what:

Hmm decisions decisions, will there be anyone to dance with at Ashtons tonight, if i risk the drive:confused: NATURALLY :D

Jayne
28th-January-2004, 06:56 PM
Aha! Looks like it's raining now! Maybe it's the wrong kind of rain??

J *sigh*

Mary
28th-January-2004, 07:28 PM
Heathrow. Just stopped snowing. No excuses - everone out dancing tonight please.

:wink:

M

fruitcake
28th-January-2004, 07:55 PM
Just been sent home from work at 4.00pm.........such a shame :tears: :rolleyes: :D

Some studying I think then and some dance videos :cheers: Hah!

Alright for some, just finished in the dialysis unit then drove home to change, for my next job-roads out of Aberdeen a NIGHTMARE, skidded backwards downhill, tried not to brake in to other peoples rear end, got in to Abrtdeen-all clear-but I don't finish til 2230-PLEEEEESE don't snow til after I get home!!!

On the cheerful side, about to have a chocolate picnic!!:cheers:

Lory
28th-January-2004, 11:46 PM
Ashtons got cancelled tonight in the end!

and this was my garden this evening! pretty huh!

:nice:

bobgadjet
28th-January-2004, 11:51 PM
VERY nice. Mine looks good too, in the snow. Out of the snow it resembles a builders yard :rofl:
Must do something about that this year.

Thanks for the tea & trax. Working on it before I go to bed.
:kiss:

Lory
28th-January-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by bobgadjet

Thanks for the tea & trax. :kiss:
Your very welcome! Pop in anytime your passing!:cheers:

Minnie M
29th-January-2004, 12:05 AM
Well Brighton is fine - had a little rain a while ago - but no snow, in fact in has been quite sunny today, just a bit cold, nothing serious:nice:

Was very icy this morning though:sad:

Lynn
29th-January-2004, 12:36 AM
Just back a few hours ago from the Canaries, pilot told us there was snow in NI, wasn't looking forward to driving back from the airport in a blizzard (especially after sunshine and wearing bikinis the past few days...:waycool: ) but it hasn't snowed here... yet

fruitcake
29th-January-2004, 12:56 AM
Lory.....
You're garden looks like Santa's grotto in Lapland!
Lovely!
Not that I've ever been there!
One day......

Lory
29th-January-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by fruitcake
Lory.....
You're garden looks like Santa's grotto in Lapland!
Lovely!
Thank you:flower:

My kids school has been cancelled today, 2"of snow and England comes to a halt!:angry:

Pammy
29th-January-2004, 10:31 AM
Lory: Your gardens looks beautiful; certainly looks like you spend some time and effort into it.

Bloomin snow last night - took me nearly three hours to do my 20 minute journey home last night!

Nightmare; abandoned car in the end!

Mary
29th-January-2004, 10:41 AM
Please, please, please God can I have a garden like Lory's - with or without snow!!

Thank you.

M

fruitcake
29th-January-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Bloomin snow last night - took me nearly three hours to do my 20 minute journey home last night!

Nightmare; abandoned car in the end!

Pammy- you poor luv.

Today have to go to work.....car in garage....spade in boot of car.....garage door behind huge 4 ft windswept mountain of snow....
Hmmm!
Spose I'll need to find that old dustpan and start shovellin.
Hairdresser first though-and that's a PRIORITY!
Is that the snow finished now in Abedeen is is there more to come?dunno if I'll get out of my street even!

Pammy
29th-January-2004, 11:36 AM
Spose I'll need to find that old dustpan and start shovellin.

Sounds like a long job; good luck with that :hug:

Minnie M
29th-January-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Mary
Please, please, please God can I have a garden like Lory's - with or without snow!!

Thank you.

M

me too me too - like fairyland or even Disney Land (Micky my partner would love it)

Minnie Mouse
:hug:

xSalsa_Angelx
29th-January-2004, 01:47 PM
OOh you boys are naughty!

Getting back on track, I don't know much about it, but I do know that in places like Scandinavia and even the Arctic(!!!), the world doesnt stop going roung cos there's a bit of snow.
They have all mod cons for keeping wam and driving safely and smoothly-apparently.
:waycool:

Heya Fruity, try about 2 foot of snow in Norway.. :rofl:
my poor boyfriend is out there just now freezing his balls off :rofl:

and I have 4 1/2 inches outside my house (I took a tape measure out and measured it)

Bill
29th-January-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx

and I have 4 1/2 inches outside my house (I took a tape measure out and measured it)

and is 4 1/2 inches too much for you to cope with ?????

Mary
29th-January-2004, 03:35 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

(Probably wouldn't bother, myself :wink: )

M

xSalsa_Angelx
29th-January-2004, 03:37 PM

no that's not even enough to ski in ........ i was just bored being off sick.

Dance Demon
29th-January-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
no that's not even enough to ski in ........ i was just bored being off sick.

Hmmm... think we need a "that comment just went straight over my head" smiley.......:yeah:

Bill
29th-January-2004, 07:19 PM
My nervous mog in Aberdeen snow

Bill
29th-January-2004, 07:27 PM
:whistle: ....sorry .......... didn't think the pic would be that big :what:

bobgadjet
29th-January-2004, 09:11 PM

Sorry, but I don't seem to see a mog,:confused: err, and there seems to be no snow:confused:

fruitcake
29th-January-2004, 11:02 PM
Is it my computer, my eyes or a very black cat?
I think I can see one eye, my boss was lookin over my shoulder, he can't seE anything.
Where's the snow Bill?:cheers:

Minnie M
29th-January-2004, 11:10 PM
.......... very black cat?

YES ! I found the cat :yeah:

It's like one of those 'Magic Eye' paintings :rofl:

Mary
30th-January-2004, 11:04 AM
Errrrrmmmm. How do I find this cat? Have I missed something? Does one have to be 'in the know'? Please can I join in? If I look out of the window I can sometimes see a black cat, and there is still some snow around - is that what I'm looking for?

:confused:

M

Bill
30th-January-2004, 11:21 AM
Ah well........................ it was definitely there when I viewed before sending but it was very large.

Me and technology are great friends :sick: ........... it really was a nice pic of the mog in a lovely ( but cold) blanket of snow. Honest:rolleyes:

bobgadjet
30th-January-2004, 12:12 PM
Ah well........................ it was definitely there when I viewed before sending but it was very large.

Me and technology are great friends :sick: ........... it really was a nice pic of the mog in a lovely ( but cold) blanket of snow. Honest:rolleyes:

AAHHHH :rolleyes: I get it now, you've loaned all the snow to Lory for her pic, but it hasn't got back yet. :rofl:

I still can't see even a black cat. perhaps I should call it...:whistle:

Mary
30th-January-2004, 12:35 PM

So how big is this mog exactly?!!!:D

M

bobgadjet
30th-January-2004, 12:46 PM

Errr :confused:
I can't even see a picture now :rolleyes:

xSalsa_Angelx
30th-January-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Hmmm... think we need a "that comment just went straight over my head" smiley.......:yeah:

DD it never went over my head, I knew what Bill was going on about, but the thread would have ended upstairs if I commented on that. :rofl:

Bill always lowers the tone of the threads :rofl:

stewart38
30th-January-2004, 03:32 PM
There is drizzle now in London, thats winter over.

As usual the tube and roads ran smoothly not !:mad:

Fran
2nd-February-2004, 05:23 PM
try again

Bill
2nd-February-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks Fran

see everyone there was a cat.......................... say hello to Murphy everyone ............but very quietly or he'll be off like a shot. :wink: :na:

Fran
2nd-February-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks Fran

see everyone there was a cat.......................... say hello to Murphy everyone ............but very quietly or he'll be off like a shot. :wink: :na:

and hes not joking - the timidest of timidest cat there ever was, or is :nice: but hes very sweet, even when he is doing his dog impression. - complex personality:wink:

Bill
3rd-February-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Fran
and hes not joking - the timidest of timidest cat there ever was, or is :nice: but hes very sweet, even when he is doing his dog impression. - complex personality:wink:

bit like his 'master' eh..................... :na: :rolleyes:

Fran
3rd-February-2004, 05:52 PM
bit like his 'master' eh..................... :na: :rolleyes:

well the comlpex & the nice bits maybe, :wink:

but not the dog. mind you if I start giving you doggy treats and your nose get wet ....:whistle:

bobgadjet
3rd-February-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks Fran

Ahh, pretty kitty :na:

stewart38
5th-February-2004, 02:36 PM
It was 64f in London yesterday

The world had gone barking