PDA

View Full Version : More Hitch-Hiker's

Stuart M
25th-January-2004, 09:34 PM
Maybe I was way behind the curve on this, but I was delighted to find out that some new Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio shows are to be broadcast on Radio 4, starting in February. There seem to be a few fans on the forum, so I thought I'd share it. I'd hate to think any fan would miss them.

They will be based on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th books of the trilogy. Hopefully, in true Douglas Adams fashion, they will be wildly inconsistent with the plots thereof :wink:.

More info at the production company's website (http://www.crazydogaudiotheatre.com/news.php?item=16).

As if looking forward to the movie wasn't enough already!

DavidY
25th-January-2004, 11:05 PM
Stuart,

Thanks for this - I'd heard rumours that there would be another radio series but didn't know when it would be broadcast.

The original radio series was the best medium for the story IMO - I enjoyed the radio shows more than the books or the TV show, so another radio series bodes well.

David

Minnie M
25th-January-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
Stuart,
The original radio series was the best medium for the story IMO - I enjoyed the radio shows more than the books or the TV show, so another radio series bodes well.
David

:cheers: hear hear :cheers:

Emma
25th-January-2004, 11:37 PM
A little nostalgic moment...I remember listening to Hitch-Hikers in the kitchen while my mum baked cakes, aged about ten....:nice:

fruitcake
25th-January-2004, 11:41 PM
Cheers Emma, thats brilliant, I love hitch hikers MORE than red dwarf-yes its true, but never heard the radio, wonder if anyone can better ford prefect-hmmm?:cheers:

Minnie M
26th-January-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by fruitcake
Cheers Emma, thats brilliant, I love hitch hikers MORE than red dwarf-yes its true, but never heard the radio, wonder if anyone can better ford prefect-hmmm?:cheers:

Come now :wink: how many human Marvins do you know (the paranoid android):rofl: :rofl:

fruitcake
27th-January-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Minnie M
Come now :wink: how many human Marvins do you know (the paranoid android):rofl: :rofl:

Sorry Minnie M, you're right, though I think he's funnier in the book, soooooo pathetic, brain the size of a planet, shuffling in circles on one leg-poor luv!

Gus
27th-January-2004, 09:43 AM
I only ever heard one radio episode and thought it was superb. I remember an ex-girilfrind having a book of all(?) the scripts ... unfortunately I seemed to spend more time reading the scripts than giving her attention (it was naked woan desiring 'personal' attention versus HHGTTG scripts ... no contest)... seem to remember that we finished not long after I finished the book:sorry

psyc0diver
27th-January-2004, 12:48 PM
I have the original radio series on CD, if anyone wants a copy, PM me. (I also have the BBC TV version on DVD, the radio show scripts - but none of the books!)

DavidY
12th-February-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Maybe I was way behind the curve on this, but I was delighted to find out that some new Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio shows are to be broadcast on Radio 4, starting in February. ~SNIP~
More info at the production company's website (http://www.crazydogaudiotheatre.com/news.php?item=16). This web link said the new radio series would start on 17 Feb at 6:30 on Radio 4.
Just looked in Radio Times for that date & it's not there... :tears: :sad: :confused:

fruitcake
12th-February-2004, 12:24 AM
If anyone finds out when it is on please post it, though I spose someone could find it on the net(them wiv good servers!)

Public thank you in order, to psych0diver ,who very kindly copied hhgttg for me and I watched it when I was ill last week....
LURVE the lumpy green aliens poetry-the VOGON's!!
Would suit someones secret valentine methinks!

Fruitcake

Lynn
12th-February-2004, 01:40 PM
Yes, someone please post when they find out when it is on. Mostly know the books and re-read every so often (read the Krikitt one last month). Enduringly entertaining.

fruitcake
12th-February-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
Yes, someone please post when they find out when it is on. Mostly know the books and re-read every so often (read the Krikitt one last month). Enduringly entertaining.

I have read them SO often I almost know the whole text, they are not even mine they are my sisters books!
Did you ever read the fourth one in the trilogy(!) called, "so long and thanks for the fish"/

Bill
12th-February-2004, 01:49 PM
Loved the series but never read the books.....................

also remember hitchhiking to Paris years ago....( kind of on thread) and not having the cash to stay at a hotle or hostel so firned and I ( a rather petite young woman) slept on a bench, then the next night in the bushes next the the Eiffel Tower and finally under one of the bridges over the Seine. Can't remember now how/where we washed for 3 days ?????

Luckilly moved on to a campsite after that and commuted in.

Also remember being stopped by police on the edge of a small village as we erected the tent on a long stretch of grass. It was quite dark and what we didn't realsie till morning was that we had pitched it in the middle of a main road - the long central reservation :sick: :rolleyes: ....................no wonder the police wondered what these two foreign idiots were doing !! Never hitch-hiked again :D

Lynn
12th-February-2004, 02:39 PM
I have read them SO often I almost know the whole text, they are not even mine they are my sisters books!
Did you ever read the fourth one in the trilogy(!) called, "so long and thanks for the fish"/
Yup, and 'Mostly Harmless' - Book Five of the Trilogy. Have lost my books 3 and 4 though, they must be somewhere about. Rather annoying when I want to read through them all!

Have also the two Dirk Gently books. Liked the time travel one, but prefer the Hitchhikers series.

fruitcake
12th-February-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Also remember being stopped by police on the edge of a small village as we erected the tent on a long stretch of grass. It was quite dark and what we didn't realsie till morning was that we had pitched it in the middle of a main road - the long central reservation :sick: :rolleyes: ....................no wonder the police wondered what these two foreign idiots were doing !! Never hitch-hiked again :D

Oh that sounds so cool!
Must have given everyone a laugh!
Or do the French not have a sense of humour!!!

Bill
13th-February-2004, 11:46 AM
Oh that sounds so cool!
Must have given everyone a laugh!
Or do the French not have a sense of humour!!!

Oh yes........they left with a smile on their faces and we wondered why !! I'd have enjoyed being taken in for the night - might have had a hot meal. Breakfast was water and slightly soft bread!

Ah those were the days. :sick: :rolleyes:

fruitcake
13th-February-2004, 01:38 PM

As long as the tent was the only thing being erected!!:devil:

Bill
13th-February-2004, 03:56 PM
As long as the tent was the only thing being erected!!:devil:

:sick: :eek: ............my friend and I were just friends !!! And were hardly talking by the time we hitch hiked back to Calais. :na:

fruitcake
13th-February-2004, 04:54 PM
:sick: :eek: ............my friend and I were just friends !!! And were hardly talking by the time we hitch hiked back to Calais. :na:

C'est la vie!!:wink:

Bill
13th-February-2004, 05:07 PM
C'est la vie!!:wink:

absolutely.........and never hitch-hiked again afetr that :rolleyes:

Stuart M
7th-March-2004, 07:57 PM
Gawd...had to dig back 4 pages to find this thread!

Anyway, the broadcast of the third series on the radio has been held back indefinitely. Anyone wanting to keep track of the situation should probably visit Magrathea (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjs2000/)

Why the delay? I reckon it's one of 2 reasons:

1) The Beeb want to cash in on the film.
2) They're awaiting the loading of lemon-soaked paper napkins (In-joke ahoy! :grin: )

DavidY
26th-June-2004, 10:20 AM
Looks like this will finally turn up on 21 Sept 2004.

More details here. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/)

Chicklet
8th-September-2004, 02:16 PM
Looks like this will finally turn up on 21 Sept 2004.

More details here. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/)

Just heard this confirmed on a trailer straight after the Archers.

Sheepman
10th-September-2004, 12:14 PM
straight after the Archers. Do you realise that there is room for plenty of crossover between the Archers and the Hitchhikers Guide? And of course it's not hard to imagine what Ruth will say when she realises that the end of the world is nigh!

Greg

DavidY
21st-September-2004, 06:21 PM
... on in just a few minutes' time. I think it's repeated later on Thursday night if you miss it. :eek:

Lou
22nd-September-2004, 07:58 AM
... on in just a few minutes' time. I think it's repeated later on Thursday night if you miss it. :eek:

And if you miss it on Thursday, it'll be uploaded to listen again (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/) after the repeat. :clap:

Plus, there's a link to the old game :) . I never could get the hang of getting off the bridge of the starship heart of gold....

Gus
22nd-September-2004, 10:17 AM
Thoughts on the first episode?

I thought it felt a bit weak. Some of the voices didnt sound convinvincing ... especially Tillian and Zaphod ... spoinded like they were reading a script rather than really being into it.

Lynn
2nd-October-2004, 12:14 PM
Missed this thread, and the first episode - my mum told me about it and I caught the Thurs repeat this week. Must make sure I tune in next week.

Gadget
2nd-October-2004, 07:43 PM
I didn't think there was as much "contrast" in the voices as I expected. (although any more and it may have turned into a comedy :D)

DavidY
3rd-May-2005, 08:55 AM
The next Radio 4 series of Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy starts tonight. :clap:

And the old 80s televsion series is being repeated on BBC2 - again it starts tonight.