PDA

View Full Version : Happy Days

fruitcake
24th-January-2004, 01:33 PM
Right folks, to brighten up this forum today.....what films make you CRY.
Makes ya feel all gooey thinking about it.
At work just now,the guys and girls are talking aboUt it.
Mary Poppins and the sound of music for me.
Greyfriars bobby9sniff)
Lets...go....fly a kite.............

Fruitcake.

PS if there is anybody else who like the above, we could have a Mary Poppins Singalong at my flat, with booze and nibbles, and hankies of course!!!:cheers:

Tiggerbabe
24th-January-2004, 02:15 PM
Well,

Ghost (of course):tears:
When a Man Loves a Woman
Sleepless ............
The Green Mile
Braveheart
and yes, I'll admit it - I went to the movies to see Titanic and cried

don't remember crying at Mary Poppins unless it was at Dick Van Dyke's singing :wink:

Neil
24th-January-2004, 02:29 PM
I got all excited there for a moment. I thought this was going to be a thread about the Fonz. Heeeey! :waycool:

Lory
24th-January-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by fruitcake
what films make you CRY.

E.T.
The Champ (so much so infact, I had mascara stains on my chest!:tears: )
Bambi
Love Story
It's a Wonderful life
Elephant man

I'm a big softy and cry at almost anything... The other day, my friend sent me a poem he'd written about losing his Dog, I couldn't even read to the end of it!

:tears:

Jive Brummie
24th-January-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Lory
E.T.
The Champ (so much so infact, I had mascara stains on my chest!:tears: )

How sad is this film. I remember watching it when I was a wee boy and I wept like there was tomorrow.
Let me guess, you bubbled at the bit where his dad is on the slab after a tough fight and the little fella starts crying???......or was that just me:D :D

James......x

Lory
24th-January-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
How sad is this film. I remember watching it when I was a wee boy and I wept like there was tomorrow.
Let me guess, you bubbled at the bit where his dad is on the slab after a tough fight and the little fella starts crying???......or was that just me:D :D

James......x
There were 2 heartbreaking moments....

1st, when the little boy's Mum came back on the scene (she's become very rich and could offer him far more than his Dad could) his father tries to make the boy go with her (knowing it will be better for him in the long run), the boy doesn't want to leave his Dad. so his Dad ends up shouting at him, telling him, that he's a hindrance to him and how much he was holding him back (all lies of course, his heart was breaking)

And the second was, YES, the bit where his Dad is on the slab and he's shouting 'WAKE UP CHAMP, WAKE UP, PLEASE WAKE UP...OH CHAMP PLEEAAASSEE WAKE UP' :tears: :tears: :tears:

Emma
24th-January-2004, 06:45 PM
See, I'm such a weeper that even reading that is making me fill up :blush:

It'd be easier to list films that didn't make me cry......erm...I think I sat through Chicago without blubbing....

fruitcake
24th-January-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Emma
See, I'm such a weeper that even reading that is making me fill up :blush:

It'd be easier to list films that didn't make me cry......erm...I think I sat through Chicago without blubbing....

I sat through The last Samurai without blubbing, but the music was so BLATENTLY blubber music, that it spoiled it really.
Fantastic film though,but very hollywoody.
:eek:

Andy McGregor
24th-January-2004, 08:12 PM
Most war movies with pointless deaths make me cry. Especially Schindlers List. I admit I cried all the way through the bombing bit of Pearl Harbour which wasn't even a very good movie. I've even shed a few tears when somoene dies in a book!

It's easy to uderstand why you cry at the sad movies. But why do we cry at the happy ones? There were even bits of 'As Good as it Gets' that had tears streaming down my face:confused:

Boomer
25th-January-2004, 08:30 AM
'Fried Green Toms at the Whistle-Stop cafe', when the old lady stops the clock, gets me everytime, without fail. the Elephantman got me as well, as does Phenomenan, right at the end, where he just say's something like, 'ok, I have to go now, don't cry, I love you, good bye'...and dies :tears:

what a bloody thread.

Tiggerbabe
25th-January-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
as does Phenomenan, right at the end, where he just say's something like, 'ok, I have to go now, don't cry, I love you, good bye'...and dies :tears:

Oh Boomer, I'd forgotten about that one - cheers (I think :wink: ):tears: :tears: :tears:

Lounge Lizard
25th-January-2004, 12:19 PM
wonderfull life - works for me every year, plus best film ever made(almost)

Jive Brummie
25th-January-2004, 12:24 PM
Legends Of The Fall, the bit where one of the brothers goes to war against his fathers wish and he goes into battle only to get caught in chlorine gas, trapped in barbed wire and then indiscriminately shot by the enemy........Brad Pitt comes to his 'rescue' like a wild animal, and slaughters the enemy who killed his brother. ...........V.sad. Had a tear in my eye about that one.

And, I've just remembered because it was on tele the other night. Blackadder Goes Forth..the final episode when all the troops, despite their efforts to get out of it, all line up at the base of the trench waiting to go over the top. The sad music and the slow motion were all too much for me I'm afraid:tears: :tears:

James......x

Boomer
25th-January-2004, 12:57 PM
...one of the brothers goes to war against his fathers wish and he goes into battle only to get caught in chlorine gas, trapped in barbed wire and then indiscriminately shot by the enemy......

Answers to the name of Lucky.

Jive Brummie
25th-January-2004, 01:00 PM
Answers to the name of Lucky.

...you've seen it too:rofl: :rofl:

Gus
25th-January-2004, 01:38 PM

And, I've just remembered because it was on tele the other night. Blackadder Goes Forth..the final episode when all the troops, despite their efforts to get out of it, all line up at the base of the trench waiting to go over the top. The sad music and the slow motion were all too much for me I'm afraid:tears: :tears:

James......x

Aye ... I'm with you on that ... possibly all the more poignant because of how the whole war had been 'trivialised' through the series ... until that final scene. The final scene where the camera fades from the torn up warscape to a field of red poppies is a hardwrenching touch.

Similar feeling is at the end of Das Boot (The Boat) ... one of the finest war films ever made. After ALL the crew went to, all the pain and suffering to get home and then ....... the sinking ship watched by its Captain, him dying as the boat slips below the waves ..... can't watch it without blubbing

Bill
25th-January-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Aye ... I'm with you on that ... possibly all the more poignant because of how the whole war had been 'trivialised' through the series ... until that final scene. The final scene where the camera fades from the torn up warscape to a field of red poppies is a hardwrenching touch.

Probably one of the greatest scenes in any TV programme and sunmmed up in that closing scene the whole futility of it all!

ET always gets me as well when he's found looking all pale ane apparently near to death :tears: But as Andy says...I get just as emotional at some happy scenes as well.

Graham W
25th-January-2004, 04:05 PM
yep the Elephant Man esp where the docs wive offers him a cuppa like hes any other bloke & he starts crying.. :-(

Jerry Maguire...

G

fruitcake
25th-January-2004, 07:10 PM
Similar feeling is at the end of Das Boot (The Boat) ... one of the finest war films ever made. After ALL the crew went to, all the pain and suffering to get home and then ....... the sinking ship watched by its Captain, him dying as the boat slips below the waves ..... can't watch it without blubbing [/B][/QUOTE]

This film was very traumatic, as I only EVER watch films with happy endings(cried ALL the way through Schindlers list),watched it thoroughly enjoyed, CRIED at the end, distressed. Taped it but never watched it again.
Backdraft was another one-poor luvley Kurt.
Wizard of OZ -cry at the end,
CASABLANCA-sniff-:sad: :sad:
Anything with unrequieted love.
SOme of the old Bette Davis films make me cry every time,especially jezebel,etc,sniff agian,
fruity

Boomer
25th-January-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Oh Boomer, I'd forgotten about that one - cheers (I think :wink: ):tears: :tears: :tears:
You're welcome Shoona :grin:

'American Beauty' gets me as well, but that's as much frustration as sadness, he goes through all that, finally reaches a decision, see's hope...and then wallop, dead. :sad:

Tiggerbabe
25th-January-2004, 11:35 PM
You're welcome Shoona :grin:
Nice one Boom :wink:
Also Steel Magnolias - great film!

Chris
26th-January-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Most war movies with pointless deaths make me cry. Especially Schindlers List. I admit I cried all the way through the bombing bit of Pearl Harbour which wasn't even a very good movie.

Schindlers List I admired but that was it, and Pearl Harbour I had to work hard at - "wasn't even a very good movie" is too kind IMHO.

Yet live news can often bring tears to my eyes. I found the human tragedy during the war in Iraq so sad and I also felt for the reporters (I was looking at the old thread that included people's dream job - mine's war reporter/photographer so maybe I identify).

For movies, I can let myself go with any 'weepie' (and be grateful the credits last long enough for no-one to notice) but the ones that really move me are those that say something much deeper. I wept buckets twice watching Virginia Woolf's suicide (in The Hours) and again when I read the book. And Fred 'n' Ginger can bring a tear to my eye just cos they're so romantic.

Pammy
26th-January-2004, 11:35 AM
Titanic,
Ghost,
Bambi,
Carousel,

Nothing like a good cry at a movie. I'm terrible. Cry at most. :blush:

xSalsa_Angelx
26th-January-2004, 01:02 PM
Captain Correli's Mandolin - when the germans turn on the italians and shoot them all dead, and you think that Nicolas Cage is dead.

Then the other bit when he appears and then comes back to get the woman he fell in love with (cant remember her name)

Boomer
26th-January-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
Then the other bit when he appears and then comes back to get the woman he fell in love with (cant remember her name)

Only in the book he returns to find that she's dumped him and fallen in love with 'Marvo the Human Cannonball', and it is love because she pays no heed to his halitosis and bunions. That's Holloywood for you I guess.

Bardsey
26th-January-2004, 02:41 PM
I sat through The last Samurai without blubbing, but the music was so BLATENTLY blubber music, that it spoiled it really.
Fantastic film though,but very hollywoody.
:eek:

Wouldn't say this was mornally a film I'd go see, but I was persuaded by friends. What a brilliant film! Was it just me or was the Samurai Lord (real name Kato summinkorother) really sexy?

Anyway, ahem, (now stop those thoughts Bardster:blush: ) back to the thread.

Ghost (of course, every time)

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King. I started crying when Frodo woke up in Rivendell and didn't stop til the end, about 20 mins in all - gave me headache!

Green Mile

E.T .(in the sad part of this, gave a really loud sob then turned and "shhhh"ed my daughter, pretending it was her :blush: )

To be honest, most films, soap operas, adverts on TV etc. I'm just a big softie!:tears:

Chicklet
26th-January-2004, 03:01 PM
Anyone remember Rainbow (Judy Garland Story)??
This made me cry but it must be 20 years since I saw it so I can't remember why.

Buddy Holly story.

And there's something so wistful about the music and the (not sure if this is the right word ) cinematography?? (the light and the way it's shot) in Jean Brodie that always makes me blubber - up there in top 5 films though).

Little Women when Jo won't marry Laurie. That's a crime, but it's probably more a book crime than a movie crime.

fruitcake
27th-January-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Bardsey
Wouldn't say this was mornally a film I'd go see, but I was persuaded by friends. What a brilliant film! Was it just me or was the Samurai Lord (real name Kato summinkorother) really sexy?

To be honest, most films, soap operas, adverts on TV etc. I'm just a big softie!:tears:

Yes Bardsey, Samurai Lord really sexy, his dying didnt make me cry though, but I could quite have easily snuggled up to his big broad chest and.......
Well, as I was saying, I was actually "shhhh...d" at the cinema watching, "A Star Is Born",with Batbara Streissand! how embarrassing, and once me and my 3 friends started crying we couldnt stop. We were sobbing.
:sad:

bobgadjet
27th-January-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Yet live news can often bring tears to my eyes. I found the human tragedy during the war in Iraq so sad and I also felt for the reporters

OH YES indeed. I've lost two days in my life...
The day of Dianes funeral
9/11

Both days I could not leavew the seat in front of the TV, went without meals, and used a box of tissues.

As for films, if you want a good weep
Hope Floats, little known but starts with a woman on a Jerry Springer type show finding out her husband has been playing away, with her best friend. the child actress is just brilliant and there's one point whne she wants to go with her dad, but has to stay with her mum, and dad wont take her. her expressions were so natural. How do they get kids to act that way, so well.
Another
Step Mom
Be well prepared with the tissues in both films.

:tears:

bobgadjet
27th-January-2004, 02:50 PM
Oh yes, nearly forgot....

Sixth sense

Funny Girl, but they were tears of laughter. One of the best musicals I've ever seen. I will never forget "don't rain on my parade" sung with such passion, force, and meaning, and to top it off (if you could) at the end her rendition of "People". Now if that didn't bring a tear to your eye, well, you must be REALLY hard.

bobgadjet
27th-January-2004, 02:53 PM
Right folks, to brighten up this forum today.....what films make you CRY.

Maybe thewre's another thread here?
Do you go to the pics for
Entertainment?:D
Inquisitiveness?:waycool:
To laugh?:rofl:
or
To cry?:tears:

HHmmmmm. :)

Gadget
27th-January-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm beginning to feel like I'm made of stone here: I can't remember the last film (or TV program) I cried to :confused:
I liked Ghost - but only because I thought that Whoopi Goldberg is funny.

Perhaps I just don't watch the right sort of films....
(Just watched Matrix:Reloaded - some funky fight scenes, pitty about some of the CGI.)

Chris
27th-January-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by bobgadjet
OH YES indeed. I've lost two days in my life...
The day of Dianes funeral
9/11
Both days I could not leavew the seat in front of the TV, went without meals, and used a box of tissues.

I was the same with Diane - don't understand why - 9/11 I was so upset - not just for the Americans but also for the even greater number of arab people who were killed that day by americans but whom hardly anyone this side of the world grieved for.

Chris
27th-January-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
(Just watched Matrix:Reloaded - some funky fight scenes, pitty about some of the CGI.)
Agree on the funky fight scenes (though hardly a patch on Kill Bill IMO) but I would like to have cried but couldn't - two awful follow up films to what was one of the greatest sci fi films ever made (The Matrix). The sell-out (rake-in) was a crying shame.

ChrisA
27th-January-2004, 05:00 PM
but also for the even greater number of arab people who were killed that day by americans but whom hardly anyone this side of the world grieved for.
Ok, I'll bite.

Where in the world did the Americans kill more than 3000 Arabs on 9/11 ??

Chris

PS And it was Diana, for those soooooo upset that they can't even spell her name... :rolleyes:

bobgadjet
27th-January-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Ok, I'll bite.

PS And it was Diana, for those soooooo upset that they can't even spell her name... :rolleyes:

Picky:na:

The problem I had with 9/11 was that I was watching from just about the first impact, and I could not believe what I was seeing.
Since then I still get a cold feeling when I see low aircraft in the sky in built up areas. Maybe I should see somebody?

Chris
27th-January-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Ok, I'll bite.
Where in the world did the Americans kill more than 3000 Arabs on 9/11 ??

Someone totted up figures of i can't recall if it was arabs or muslims - but exceeded the number of americans killed that day. I should add I'm not anti-American - but, like many Americans, very anti the foreign policies which exacerbate the conflict.

Similarly look at the recent outrage over MP Tonge's comments (she obviously went to the same school of tact as moi) - but many more palestinians are killed by Israelis than vice cersa. I grieve for everyone - especially the ones that no-one else grieves for as that makes me most sad.

Andy McGregor
27th-January-2004, 08:00 PM
Someone totted up figures of i can't recall if it was arabs or muslims - but exceeded the number of americans killed that day. I should add I'm not anti-American - but, like many Americans, very anti the foreign policies which exacerbate the conflict.

Similarly look at the recent outrage over MP Tonge's comments (she obviously went to the same school of tact as moi) - but many more palestinians are killed by Israelis than vice cersa. I grieve for everyone - especially the ones that no-one else grieves for as that makes me most sad.

I think this kind of score keeping by politicians is completely wrong. A single death due to war or terrorism is unacceptable. To justify the number of people you kill by saying it was less than they'd killied of your side is completely wrong.

If the world went down this road you'd end up with UN quotas for war. Something like 'Yes you can invade country XXXX but as they killed 5,000 innocent people you can only kill 4,000' - very, very wrong.

ChrisA
27th-January-2004, 08:27 PM
Someone totted up figures of i can't recall if it was arabs or muslims - but exceeded the number of americans killed that day.
You made a very specific allegation:

the even greater number of arab people who were killed that day by americans
Chit chat or not, I think it is inappropriate to make allegations like this here - or indeed anywhere - if they are based on hearsay.

Chris

Dance Demon
27th-January-2004, 08:43 PM
This was a nice innocent thread about films that made you cry......
then one post turns it around and points it in the direction of "outside"..... :rolleyes:

ChrisA.....I know you probably tried your hardest not to bite, but it seems Chris has probably ruined another thread by taking it off topic and adding some controversy:mad: (oh god, looks like Ive bit now too:rolleyes: )

bobgadjet
27th-January-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
This was a nice innocent thread about films that made you cry......
then one post turns it around and points it in the direction of "outside"..... :rolleyes:

Sorry :blush: I s'pose it was me who changed the thread, in a small way.
In defence of all, no matter what has been said, they are all valid comments that I agree with to some extent, on both sides.

So, as I changed it re: 9/11 & Daina, then lets not take that any further, certainly in this thread, or discussion group. :)

Shake hands now, and on with the films.......
:cheers:

I remember crying my eyes out, not only in the film Pinochio, but also almost all the way thru the book. Mind you I was in short trousers then, now I just want to be a teenager when i grow up:D:rofl:

Dance Demon
27th-January-2004, 10:19 PM

I remember crying my eyes out, not only in the film Pinochio, but also almost all the way thru the book. Mind you I was in short trousers then, now I just want to be a teenager when i grow up:D:rofl:

I was like that when my mum took me to see Dumbo....at the bit where Dumbos mum sings " Baby mine don't you cry" through the bars of her cage:tears: :tears: (and that was just last christmas:wink: ) :rolleyes:

sarahw31
27th-January-2004, 11:05 PM
All the usual ones:

Legends of the Fall
The English Patient
Ghost
Schindlers List

most recently....erm...'Ice Age'
:sorry

and also 'Billy Elliot' at the end, this was one of those v happy scenes that make you cry - how I sobbed!

bobgadjet
27th-January-2004, 11:11 PM
Something about Mary

Who DIDn't cry laughing at the hair gel scene?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

psyc0diver
28th-January-2004, 09:47 AM
Not wishing to seem anything but macho (HooYah), but Cyrano de Bergerac does it for me. A few gut wrenchers earlier in the film, but a seriously moving scene at the end, when he knows he's dying, his secret about loving Roxanne is out & he is recapping on his life - all that he'd done & how little the results counted - only the struggle itself.
"voice Hercule Savinien De Cyrano De Bergerac qui fait tout, et fait rien"

Andy McGregor
28th-January-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by sarahw31
and also 'Billy Elliot' at the end, this was one of those v happy scenes that make you cry - how I sobbed!

I've now seen 'Billy Elliot' so many times that my eyes fill up in anticipation of that last scene.

Lory
28th-January-2004, 10:59 AM
I was like that when my mum took me to see Dumbo....at the bit where Dumbos mum sings " Baby mine don't you cry" through the bars of her cage:tears: :tears: (and that was just last christmas:wink: ) :rolleyes:
How could I forget that one!

I'm alway's amazed how people manage NOT to cry at the sad bits in films, sometimes I try really hard, it can even be quite painful, my throat goes all tight, I try to hold back, tears well up, I try to hold back, then a low noise starts coming out, I try VERY hard to hold back, NEVER works, in the end it just comes out even louder:tears: :rofl:

Bardsey
28th-January-2004, 03:07 PM

Oh me too! Cried bucketfuls, also Bambi, that's another heart-wrenching one! :tears: :tears:

bobgadjet
28th-January-2004, 03:43 PM
Had a few sniffs in Love Actually, but more laughs.

Others with tears of laughter were:
Private Benjemin
Overboard
(I'm a Goldie fan)
First Wives Club
Death becomes her.
:rofl:

Pammy
28th-January-2004, 04:08 PM
Death becomes her.
:rofl:

Fantastic Film...

One that really set me off with the tears was Watership Down :tears: :tears: :tears:

When I was younger if the song Bright Eyes played, I'd be in tears :blush:

Px

Chris
28th-January-2004, 04:54 PM
Others with tears of laughter :rofl:

And
Galaxy Quest
Something About Mary (which some of my mates hated - strange!)
Me, Myself & Irene (had to keep wiping away the tears to see the screen)

jivecat
28th-January-2004, 10:54 PM
The Deer Hunter. Gosh, that was a very long time ago.

Lord of the Rings, the bit where Theoden cops it, but not nearly as weepy as the same bit each time I read the book.

Completely unmoved by Dead Poet's Society even though other people were having to be led from the cinema sobbing in anguish.

Di's funeral, even though I'm anti-royalist and thought Charlie boy had had a lot to put up with.

fruitcake
28th-January-2004, 11:25 PM
:cheers:
Of course, I'm sure we ALL cried in the scene where Han Solo was frozen in carbonite poor luv, and also when Darth Vader finally...at the end...copped it.
And when poor yoda died, and when Luke had a pyre for his dad..............sniffle!

Demota
28th-January-2004, 11:44 PM
Have been blubbing at Snowhite for 50 years (don't let the wife and kids know though) Dumbo needs a few Kleenexes too...

bobgadjet
29th-January-2004, 12:02 AM
The meatball scene was a joy.
Was reminded of this tonight listening to some good tunes.

101 Dalmations

How come we can cry as much with animated films, as with real life film whether fiction or non-fiction. Just shows how good the writer is I s'pose.

Can't remember crying in any Flintstones films tho :)

Tiggerbabe
29th-January-2004, 12:28 AM
ok I know it's not a film - but when I went to see Les Mis at the Playhouse - I was a wreck by the time it had finished :tears: :tears:

Bardsey
29th-January-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
ok I know it's not a film - but when I went to see Les Mis at the Playhouse - I was a wreck by the time it had finished :tears: :tears:

:yeah: (just wanted to use a new smiley!) I cried buckets at Miss Siagon, thankfully so did everyone round me.

I am ashamed to admit that last night I stayed in and watched the box and I actually cried at Fat Friends!!! (Told you I cry at anything) but in defence I have to say, it was about the dad dying and the funeral etc., which brought back painful memories for me, so am I excused?:blush: