PDA

View Full Version : condolences

Chris
22nd-January-2004, 12:03 PM
Cynth Farleigh

I don't know if the forum is the right place to mention this. I didn't personally know this lady, who has died suddenly.

People who have been to her classes at Norfolk Ceroc may want to read the news story (http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.asp?datetime=22+Jan+2004+06%3A38&tbrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=EDPOnline&itemid=NOED21+Jan+2004+16%3A40%3A28%3A380) .

I am sure the Forum would join me in saying our thoughts are with the husband of Cynth Farleigh and her children and other family at this difficult time.

None of us can approach an understanding of what this loss will mean to them, but I hope they will be comforted in some small way by the thought of the warm hand of friends known and unknown across the Ceroc community.

Kind regards

Chris (Docker)
.................................................. .................................................

January 22, 2004 06:38

She was full of energy, made an impact on many people's lives and was a "fantastic mother, wife and best friend".

Such were the tributes to Dereham mother-of-two Cynthia Udberg, who has died suddenly aged 46.

Mrs Udberg - known by family and friends as Cynth - was well known across Norfolk as she brought Ceroc dancing - a French style mixing jive with salsa - to the county.

She used her maiden name of Farleigh for her dancing business and in the past decade about 10,000 people in Norfolk have been to her classes.

Her husband Stephen, 49, a chartered surveyor, said: "Cynth was a fantastic mother and wife and best friend. She squeezed more into 46 years than some people do in 70 years.

"She never ever stopped and made such a big difference to so many people. Cynth had a real strength in life and she has left that legacy behind her."

The couple have lived at Badley Moor, Dereham, for nine years and have two children - Matthew, aged 10, who attends Toftwood Junior School, and Francesca, four, a pupil at Dereham Church Infant School.

Mrs Udberg was taken ill on a Sunday afternoon family walk and suffered a brain haemorrhage. She was taken to hospital but did not regain consciousness.

Mrs Udberg was born and brought up in Oxfordshire and was the eldest of four.

Her sister Clare said: "She had so much energy, immense spirit, she was intelligent and was so generous. But she was very modest. Her personality was too good to expire."

Mrs Udberg studied physiology and biochemistry at Sheffield University and started a career in scientific research.

After working in Birmingham she moved to the Food Research Institute in Norwich in early 1980s.

She had a sabbatical in broadcasting and worked on the BBC's Call Nick Ross programme.

She had always enjoyed dancing, including tap, ballet and jive and was introduced to Ceroc by James Cronin, who brought it to London.

Mr Udberg said: "Cynth liked bringing people together through Ceroc and enjoyed the joy it brought to them.

"She stood on the stage and saw 100 or so people having a party and keeping fit. It was a great experience."

Mrs Udberg also did Ceroc at functions including the Royal Norfolk Show and raised thousands of pounds for charity, including the EDP We Care appeal.

Dereham rector the Rev Richard Ames-Lewis said: "She was very much loved by everyone at church."

Mr Udberg thanked friends and the local community for their support.

Mrs Udberg's funeral is at St Nicholas' Church, Dereham, on Wednesday at 11am.

News report by Ian Clarke