22nd-January-2004, 09:49 AM
(per the BBC this morning)

Come Dancing is to return to our screens in May...I'll be glued...will you???:D

Chris
22nd-January-2004, 09:57 AM
Definitely! :grin: :grin:

Jayne
22nd-January-2004, 10:38 AM
Will it be a whole series? A few years ago it had just got down to an annual show of the UK versus the rest of the world (given it's a britsh programme, guess who won??).

J :nice:

Divissima
22nd-January-2004, 10:38 AM
I saw this too - how thrilling!
Can't wait (video at the ready for repeated viewing and blatant knicking of move/costume ideas) :really:
:waycool:

Lounge Lizard
22nd-January-2004, 11:02 AM
with Bruce wassisface...nice to see you to see you nice... comparing
not sure may have to hit the mute button
peter

Chicklet
22nd-January-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
Will it be a whole series?
J :nice:
Sounded like it to me!

Agree with LL that Brucie doesn't exactly inspire...The snippet on telly included a few scenes from an Oxford Uni Dance "club" and one (rather nice phnarr) young man did mention that they would prefer to see someone younger in the hot seat.

I vote for Jonathon Edwards, but that's probably cos I jus tlike seeing him on the telly as much as possible!

Any other ideas??

Geordieed
22nd-January-2004, 02:36 PM
The article almost implies that they are going to feature dance of the television/competition dancefloor. I know that they have already been busy filming but it would be nice to show how popular other forms of dance have become as a social pursuit around the country.

I know that when alot of people hear that you dance as a hobby they automatically think of 'Come Dancing' and asume that it is that that you are doing.

Lounge Lizard
22nd-January-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Sounded like it to me!

Agree with LL that Brucie doesn't exactly inspire...The snippet on telly included a few scenes from an Oxford Uni Dance "club" and one (rather nice phnarr) young man did mention that they would prefer to see someone younger in the hot seat.

I vote for Jonathon Edwards, but that's probably cos I jus tlike seeing him on the telly as much as possible!

Any other ideas?? Minnie M has suggested Mike Ellard as compare

spindr
22nd-January-2004, 03:19 PM
BBC News24 is just reporting that "Come Dancing" is making a comeback in May -- to be presented by Bruce Forsyth.

Apparently the "new look" show will feature celebrities learning to dance and possibly phone in votes to place the competitors? Maybe HQ should lobby for a Modern Jive section?

Hmmm, just time to sew on those sequins.

SpinDr.

Neil
22nd-January-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
it would be nice to show how popular other forms of dance have become as a social pursuit around the country Absolutely. And no disrespect to Brucie (who is very good at what he does), but having him as compère is only going to reinforce the achingly unhip image that partner dancing already has among the general population :tears:

Neil

Stuart M
22nd-January-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
I know that when alot of people hear that you dance as a hobby they automatically think of 'Come Dancing' and asume that it is that that you are doing.
The very existence of Come Dancing on TV, with its sequins, painted grins, and general twee-ness, put me off the idea of partner dancing for years and years - to my cost :tears:.

It provides a poor image for the concept of partner dancing IMHO, because a) it seemed to focus too strongly on the competition angle, and b) it implied that partner dancing began and ended with ballroom. OK, I know the second point is unfair, but Geordieed's point shows up the problem. And Bruce "My Hair Once Knew Sammy Davis Junior" Forsyth presenting? Yeah, that'll pull in the crowds...I suspect he was a major factor in this revival, which would suggest the format won't be tinkered with much.

Apologies to those who like ballroom dancing on the Forum, but I don't think CD should be revived, certainly not in the old format.

Anyone fancy starting a petition? I suspect the idea of a petition from partner dancers AGAINST a partner dancing TV show would be quite newsworthy!

DavidB
22nd-January-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
I don't think CD should be revived, certainly not in the old format. Having appeared on Come Dancing several times (doing Rock'n'Roll), I would wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

If they want to make it popular, they should include things like Salsa, Argentine Tango, Lindy and Modern Jive. I'd still have Ballroom & Latin on as well, but have a comentator who could point out things that people do when dancing (as in Ice Skating), rather than where they came from.

I doubt Bruce Forsyth had anything to do with the planning of the program. It was always done in the past by Eric & Julia Morley (of Miss World fame) who own the rights, and Peggy Spencer.

Now if it was on ITV - it would be a perfect opportunity for a TV advert.... "Fancy doing some real dancing, to real music..."

David

Neil
22nd-January-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Now if it was on ITV Or they could have it on C4, with lots of snazzy graphics and different camera angles... Or on Sky Digital, with DancerCam...

Neil

Dance Demon
22nd-January-2004, 06:34 PM
My dad never missed come dancing...and i kinda grew up with it. Used to love it when it came from the Tower Ballroom in Blackpool...the Mecca of dance.....and now we'll all get the chance to dance (no pun intended:blush: ) there this year:waycool:

Lory
22nd-January-2004, 07:00 PM
I remember watching it before, in amazement, I could never get over, how they could make slim and obviously very fit women, between the ages of 18-25, look like 60year old fumps!:confused:

DavidB
22nd-January-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Lory
how they could make slim and obviously very fit women, between the ages of 18-25, look like 60year old fumps! I thought that was called the 'Laura Ashley Syndrome'.

Geordieed
22nd-January-2004, 07:16 PM
Dancing in this country does have alot of entertainment and excitement. Look at the amount of venues, weekend events and competitions in our own MJ this year.

Also alot of the top Line Dancers are in the country. The current Individual Female World Champion is a young girl living in Brighton. A two times world champion is currently teaching WCS just off the M3. If anyone has seen the performance that David and Lilly Barker gave at the Aussie champs last year (sadly only caught the video) will have seen a performance of the highest calibre.

If anyone has seen any of these dancers who has not thought that they felt priviledged to be there and it would be great for non dance people to see it.

Great entertainment...

Paul F
22nd-January-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Or they could have it on C4, with lots of snazzy graphics and different camera angles... Or on Sky Digital, with DancerCam...

Neil

Or perhaps on Channel 5 where a 1 hour program could have 55 minutes of adverts!!! :D