PDA

View Full Version : films

Chris
21st-January-2004, 09:59 AM
It's a great time of year to go to the flicks - pre-Oscar season and lots of top films released and all that . . . Some musings on one's I've caught recently -

6/10 Black and White (http://imdb.com/title/tt0299547/usercomments-5) (passable human rights drama)
A half-caste aborigine in 1950s Australia is sentenced to death on little more than racist supposition over the rape and murder of a young girl. Penniless and inexperienced good-guy lawyers, Robert Carlyle and Kerry Fox, go up against the system to save the man's neck from the gallows. David Ngoombujarra, as the half-caste, turns in a moving performance, the story has sufficient emotional pace, legal twists and unusual setting, yet for some reason manages to peter down like a wet squib. The climax doesn't seem to do the rest of the film justice, and the reminder that it is based on true events comes too late (at the very end of the credits) to have the proper impact. Black and White is an interesting film, but more of a near miss than a resounding success.

8/10 Cold Mountain (http://imdb.com/title/tt0159365/usercomments-226) (top grab for everyone! - solid epic / love story - some blood & guts)
Another triumph for Nicole Kidman - playing the long suffering sweetheart of a man she knew for only moments (Jude Law) and who has gone off to fight in the Civil War. Plenty of realistically bloody scenes tracing this troubled period of American history, but Cold Mountain is much more than a war film. Kidman is the daughter of a preacher who can play piano and speak several languages but is poorly equipped to look after herself when times get hard. Zellwegger plays her down-to-earth companion and saving grace and as such is a revelation. Jude Law's character as a 'moral' soldier is an interesting one, as his long journey, physical and emotionally, against many difficulties. Torments of facing very alien scenarios unprepared, and of a love that spans several years of separation giving hope to the future.

8/10 Girl With a Pearl Earring (http://imdb.com/title/tt0335119/usercomments-49) (top grab if you're feeling arty)
Either its an incredibly dull movie about some painting, or it's a mesmerising insight into the artist Vermeer. Depends on your point of view. Griet is a young girl who goes to work for the great painter as a humble servant. She gets pushed around by his overwrought and jealous wife, naughty kids and all-powerful horny patron. Yet the biggest force in her life, gradually teasing out her own artistic sensibilities, is the Master himself. Griet becomes the subject of his most famous painting, lured by a mixture of dread and fascination. For Vermeer, his work is all-consuming. Every part of his world - the welfare of his family, his eccentricities, his whole energy and purpose in life, is concentrated into his work. Art becomes the light illuminating thoughts and our world in a way that cold logic alone would deny us, letting us see the world in a new way, inspired and informed. Vermeer sometimes protects the vulnerable Griet, but is his concern towards her paternal, secret desire, or just protecting an exquisite tool of his trade? Girl With a Pearl Earring calls to us as art, but if one just wanted to be entertained then it probably falls short. Holland of the period is beautifully recreated and Scarlett Johansson gives a very well-tempered performance as young Griet. Costumes, music and overall cinematography are accomplished and haunting without loss of subtlety, producing a memorable film for lovers of art and cinema; but if paintings don't do anything for you, this film might not either.

7/10 The Last Samurai (http://imdb.com/title/tt0325710/usercomments-397) (very good Tom Cruise - solid epic - some blood & guts)
A great action adventure in a setting that hasn't been too overworked - the final days of the legendary Samurai Warriors. Cruise plays the American hero of General Custer's time, recruited to Japan to help the government defeat the Samurai, but he learns to value the values of the Samurai. There is nothing very Japanese about the feel of the movie - it seems firmly like a Hollywood recreation put together to glorify Cruise's strengths and set in historical Japan - but Cruise puts plenty of work into the part with a performance to be proud of. And historical tosh as might it be (the Samurai were not really as noble as they are portrayed) - it does present the legend quite well, and the legend and the values retrospectively attributed to the Samurai are in some ways more important and interesting perhaps than any reality.

9/10 Lost in Translation (http://imdb.com/title/tt0335266/usercomments-409) (top grab - arty comedy)
There's more than one way to 'find oneself', but many of them involve taking oneself away from the slipstream of daily life, the ever-ending succession of familiar things, faces, events and corresponding thoughts - the sum total of which we often, for shorthand, think of as 'our life'. Crossing the desert alone, quite literally, or spending hours in meditation, are two ways of going to a place where one becomes intensely aware of one's own limitations, one's own 'self.' Another is immersing oneself in a traumatically alien culture. This is exactly what director Sofia Coppola's characters do in Lost in Translation - although hardly with that intention. Bob (Bill Murray) is a film star who has been paid a huge sum to go to Japan to endorse a whisky. Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) is a young philosophy graduate who is accompanying her photographer husband. Both are fish out water, isolated by their own sincerity and the barely intelligible culture gap, and trying to make sense of their lives. Much is left unsaid. The inner struggles of the characters are portrayed more in what they don't do/say than what they do do/say (although some suitably deep ideas penetrate the silences and underline the substance of what is going on). Moreover this is a rare glimpse of modern day Japan - from the high-tech intensity of Tokyo to the more tranquil beauty of Kyoto. Instead of being thrown into a mythical past or mad kung-fu scenes, we are confronted with the incomprehensibility of institutionalised karaoke, picture menus in restaurants that convey little about the food (often the photos are photos not of the food but of plastic mock-ups of the food), hectic TV that seems almost a caricature of itself, vigorous but ill-informed attempts at Western politeness, and very wordy sentences that somehow get condensed into a single phrase when 'translated'. This incongruous setting is the backdrop for a moving tale of a sensitive friendship between two strangers. Nothing is polished up to make it more entertaining: the realism of the engaging characters, who come to realise that less in their lives can be more, makes it a major cinematic achievement. It is not mainstream, but many audiences will be deeply moved, and rightly so.

7/10 Love Actually (http://imdb.com/title/tt0314331/usercomments-326)
Sometimes great movies aren't born - they're made. This is one of those. Lots of money, big names, and a well-tested formulaic script that is cleverly enough edited to be enjoyable (just). It's the perfect thing for a hangover when your brain is barely functioning. The loosely related love lives of eight couples, including a befuddled Hugh Grant as Prime Minister (who at least stands up to the American President - very topical) gallop into a hectic run-up to Christmas. 'Three Weddings and a Funeral' without the originality.

6/10 Out of Time (http://imdb.com/title/tt0313443/usercomments-61) (Competent but predictable cop thriller)
A police chief is having an affair with a woman who is being abused by her husband. This leads him into a difficult situation where he has to race against time to prove his own innocence in a web of murder and greed. Denzel Washington and Eva Mendez manage to keep the whole thing going quite well, but it's still only slightly a cut above a tv who-dunnit.

5/10 Paycheck (http://imdb.com/title/tt0338337/usercomments-96) (lame sci-fi - ok for staying out of the rain)
What starts off as a reasonable fix for dedicated sci-fi addicts spins along quite reasonably for a while as Ben Affleck (a reverse technology engineer) does jobs that require having his memory wiped afterwards so he won't know how he hacked into competitors' technology. Of course it all goes a bit wrong and Uma Thurman joins in as the kick-ass biologist and love interest. Based on yet another story from fashionable sci-fi writer Philip K Dick, this would seem to have all the ingredients of an above average near-future escapade, with overtones of Total Recall and Memento, but the interminable addition of predictable box-office draws (fights, car chases and explosions), the facile removal of any trace of political or social comment, and a resultant plot with more bugs than Windows 95, dooms this undisciplined thriller to mediocrity.

8/10 Runaway Jury (http://imdb.com/title/tt0313542/usercomments-166) (fab Grisham courtroom thriller with loadsa famous stars)
So much happens in the opening credits of Runaway Jury that we need to be riveted from the start - a sudden mass murder, a string of interesting and fully-fledged characters played by well-known stars, interwoven story lines, a time lapse of a couple of years - all before we get into the main film. Runaway Jury packs in so much and is a great film - the saddest thing probably being that it is not the greatest film of the year (which I sensed it could have been). The main premise, high powered jury consultants that can affect the outcome of a trial, is rammed down our throats from the start with demonstrations of psychological manipulation and legal shenanigans that beggar belief - if more time had been spent building these aspects of the story up in a more believable fashion a stronger statement could have been made. But statements it does make, with a moral righteousness that taxes the consummate skills of Dustin Hoffman, John Cusack, Rachel Weisz, Gene Hackman, and several others. It reminded me of those monster movies that start with a big monster, as if to say, "skip the build up to suspension of disbelief, just take it as read that the big plasticky thing with ten legs and lots and lots of teeth is real, then we can get on with the story." The monsters here are bad guy Hackman and his CIA-style organisation that knows the weakness of every juror with such hi-tech precision and depth psychology that it verges on mindreading, and a system that is so lacking in any moral fibre that legal procedures connected to fair trial can be bypassed like someone with a houdini kit getting out of a lead box at the bottom of the ocean and still arriving for dinner without a hair out of place.

5/10 Stuck on You (http://imdb.com/title/tt0338466/usercomments-53) (A pleasant comedy, but not quite outstanding)
This story of conjoined twins who seek different careers has lots going for it without ever quite being a major smash. The story is well-enough acted, with matt Damon playing the quiet one, hawked along to Hollywood so his brother can have a go at acting. Cher is great as 'herself' - a haughty actress, as is the mild-natured Streep and a number of other cameos; the script is just tight enough to pull it off without seeming cheesy or ridiculous, but the real triumph is perhaps the way all 'normal' characters are lampooned (even down to the over-achieving wheelchair-bound agent) but only the conjoined twins are 'normal'.

4/10 Touching the Void - walking in the rain is more fun than watching this dramatic reconstruction of two daft climbers getting stuck on a mountain.

Or of course there's . . .
9/10 Lord of the Rings: ROTK (http://imdb.com/title/tt0167260/usercomments-228)

Enjoy!

Chris x

http://www.docker.demon.co.uk/films/filmsintro.html

TheTramp
21st-January-2004, 05:00 PM
Hiya Chris....

Only seen 3 of those films (Love Actually, The Last Samurai (well, okie, I gave it 7.5, but close enough), and LOTR). But I actually agree with the ratings you gave. (Look, all you people. Pick yourselves up off the floor).

Out of interest, what films would you give a 10 to. Or, are you one of those markers that never manage to give a 'perfect' 10??

(I don't understand when I'm reading reports, where the critique says, 'This is the perfect film', or 'This player/actor/whatever gave the perfect performance', and then they score them a 9).

Steve

Jive Brummie
21st-January-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

Out of interest, what films would you give a 10 to. Or, are you one of those markers that never manage to give a 'perfect' 10??

Steve

The Usual Suspects, Goodfellows/fellas?, The Italian Job and The Crow.:waycool:

TheTramp
21st-January-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
The Usual Suspects, Goodfellows/fellas?, The Italian Job and The Crow.:waycool: Yeah. Maybe I should have said what my 10 rated films are:

I also think that the Crow is superb.

Good Will Hunting
Life is Beautiful
Billy Elliot
The Sixth Sense
Highlander I
Terminator I
Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure
Month Python's Life of Brian

Steve

Chris
22nd-January-2004, 12:49 AM

I use a marking system to try and keep track - I find it particularly hard to be perfectly consistent over several years. It's difficult to choose between marking 'objectively' and being more consciously subjective, as interpretation is subjective anyway. I tend to give a film (as with any art form) a slightly higher rating if it goes 'beyond it itself' - but my markers are, did it entertain, inspire or educate me? I try to answer that before analysing it in terms of acting, direction cinematography etc, to avoid judging component parts over the whole. On the other hand, I try to look at accessibility as well - much as I think The Hours, Mulholland Drive and the (coming) Dogville are amongst the finest films ever made, some people find them impenetrable or boring, whereas everyone can enjoy Singin' in the Rain! (I'll dig out my 'marking' system in a minute)!

At the moment, the only ones I have as a 'ten' on my IMDb record are Casablanca, Singin' in the Rain and Top Hat. There's probably others that should be there and there's lots I've not marked.

My current 'nines' are: American Beauty, American Splendor, Beautiful Mind, Belle et la bête, Dancer Upstairs, Dogville, Donnie Darko, Earth, Erin Brockovich, Fa yeung nin wa, Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Far from Heaven, Gattopardo, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, Hours, L.A. Confidential, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Lost in Translation, Monster's Ball, Mulholland Drive, Once Were Warriors, Pianist, Point Blank, Quiet American, Reservoir Dogs, Shall We Dansu?, Smoke, Snow Falling on Cedars, Straight Story, Terminator, Traffic, Tragedy of Macbeth.

I rated (checking) Usual Suspects at 8, the (new) Italian Job as 7,
Terminator (I) as 9, Good Will Hunting as 8, Billy Elliot 7, Sixth Sense 8, so fairly close maybe.

btw Does anyone else use IMDb to record their views? post the link if you do :)

ps - I never get bored discussing films!

Chris
22nd-January-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Chris
(I'll dig out my 'marking' system in a minute)!

Here we go - (bearing in mind it that for me at least it should inspire, educate or entertain)

At 5 and below I think it's flawed <snip degrees of flawedness>

A rather pedestrian or less than wonderful example of the genre I give 6/10

A reasonably good example of the genre I try to give 7

8 is an outstanding example of the genre

For 9/10 I expect it to be ouitstanding on several levels

For 10/10 I believe it is a rare classic or cinematic milestone

For general reading, stars out of five would probably more useful, but IMDb uses 10 points so I use that for quick online 'logging'.

I'd love to hear other people's systems. Gut feeling? Or if you had to explain a rating what would you say?

http://comments.imdb.com/user/ur0064493/comments

Chris
26th-January-2004, 07:57 AM
The Golden Globes Awards, that often manage to predict the Oscars, have just been announced. If like me you have only terrestial tv so couldn't watch it here's the results.

LOTR and Lost in Translation have done brill, but Cold Mountain less well than expected.

Nice to see Ricky Gervais do well too! (in the television section). He's made history by becoming the first British actor to win a TV comedy acting award at the Globes, and The Office became the first UK sitcom to win the best comedy prize. "I'm not from these parts... I'm from a little place called England. We used to run the world before you," he joked! :D

Best Picture - Drama "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
Best Actress - Drama Charlize Theron, "Monster"
Best Actor - Drama Sean Penn, "Mystic River"
Best Picture - Musical or Comedy "Lost in Translation"
Best Actress - Musical or Comedy Diane Keaton, "Something’s Gotta Give"
Best Actor - Musical or Comedy Bill Murray, "Lost in Translation"
Best Actor in a Supporting Role Tim Robbins, "Mystic River"
Best Actress in a Supporting Role Renee Zellweger, "Cold Mountain"
Best Foreign Language Film "Osama," Afghanistan
Best Director Peter Jackson, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
Best Screenplay Sofia Coppola, "Lost in Translation"
Best Original Score Howard Shore, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
Best Original Song "Into the West" from "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," by Howard Shore, Fran Walsh and Annie Lennox

TELEVISION (some)
Best Series - Musical or Comedy "The Office," BBC America
Best Actress - Comedy Sarah Jessica Parker, "Sex and the City"
Best Actoromedy Ricky Gervais, "The Office"

Chris
2nd-February-2004, 11:56 AM
Big Fish - Cold Creek Manor - Culloden - Human Stain - Sylvia
(note - I'm sure my views on some of these - particularly Sylvia and Culloden, are to an extent one-sided!) - Chris (SNP flag-waving etc etc)

Sylvia
- More kitchen sink melodrama than famous poet biopic?
What makes poetry a special art form? Answers might include bringing together extremes of joy and despair within a couple of lines, offering an alternative to rational thought, enriching our outlook and understanding in ways that prose would struggle to equal. Poetry can provide a single phrase or sentence that is easily remembered and somehow unlocks difficult-to-express inner states, just as a song can (and poetry is the basis of songs). It offers a freedom of expression where you don't need to explain every aspect of what you are saying - it urges the listener to grasp a semi-spoken truth or idea.

That's my rough guess. I've got over 40 books of poetry on my bookshelf at the last count, yet I'm no literary expert and appreciate poetry in a very simple way. Most people might agree that poetry offers something special, so a film celebrating the life of a famous poet might be expected to bring us a glimmer of that something.

Sylvia Plath has been championed not only as a poet but as a sort of ‘feminist' – a cry on behalf of women treated as a commodity, subjugated by an unfair male-dominated system. Cast in the lead role, Gwyneth Paltrow's Plath focuses much attention on how downtrodden she was, chained to two children, overshadowed by a brilliant and celebrated Ted Hughes, struggling with bitterness, jealousy, mental instability and a less than attractive persona. We also get the occasional poetic outburst, from who-can-recite-poetry-fastest undergrad shenanigans to romanticised performances of Chaucer (addressed to an audience of watching cows whilst floating downstream in a boat). All punctuated with soft-focus shots of a naked Plath/Paltrow, hysterical and often violent outbursts at Hughes, and scenes of a generally uninteresting and uninspiring life of moderate wretchedness. The only thing that distinguishes Sylvia from the now-unfashionable kitchen sink drama is that its central character is called Sylvia Plath.

So is the film worthy of the title? In A Beautiful Mind, we learnt of the joy of mathematics, Lunzhin Defence championed the addictive mysteries of chess, and Dead Poets Society made us lift our eyes to literary horizons that could inspire the dullest of minds. Sylvia was limited, perhaps, by the refusal of her daughter to allow much of Plath's poetry to be used in the film but, for whatever reason, it has failed to be more than a rather humdrum biopic. It offers little insight into her poetry or the magic of poetry generally, and adds little of interest about the historical figure that doesn't apply to millions of women. If any deep philosophical statement can be drawn from this, the film certainly doesn't make it, poetically or otherwise. Sadly, it would seem that the words of Sylvia Plath's daughter almost became a self-fulfilling prophecy: "Now they want to make a film . . . They think I should give them my mother's words . . . To fill the mouth of their monster . . . Their Sylvia Suicide Doll." Whilst not quite an empty doll, Sylvia is maybe an arm or leg short of a manikin.

Cold Creek Manor
- Would be entertaining enough as a 'B'-movie.
A mysterious old manor, bought at a knock down price complete with the belongings of the former inhabitants, acting skills of Sharon Stone and directorial flair of Mike (Leaving Las Vegas) Figgis, should prove a powerful combination. There is no headlong rush into the story – the characters are built up gradually and we are left wondering whether it is going to be a supernatural thriller, whodunit, or serial killer flick till at last half way through. The fact that so many other minor details and lines of script are totally predictable isn’t crucial if you don’t expect too much in the first place – but ‘slightly above average B movie’ is perhaps the nicest accolade this passable but rather lame two hours of film can hope for.

The Human Stain
- An important film but not delivered with the intensity it deserved.
Political correctness in the late nineties, originally devised as a way of protecting minorities, became a weapon that those minorities could sometimes use against anyone, without the slightest reference to fact or justice.

This is what happens in The Human Stain. The stage is set by undergraduates on campus discussing the sanctimoniousness of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, before moving on to examine this ‘persecuting spirit’ in issues of race, gender, class and education levels. Anthony Hopkins plays Coleman Silk, a classics professor who makes an untoward comment about absent students, asking if anyone has seen them or if they are ‘spooks’. As he’s never seen them (they’ve not come to class once) he’s unaware that they also happen to be black. Whilst he clearly used the word spooks as meaning ghosts, he is accused of using a racist epithet and forced to resign. He later begins an affair with a much younger woman (Nicole Kidman). Although she is uneducated and very working class, they bring much joy into each other’s life. He finds someone who can challenge his ideas because of her (harsh) life experience and she finds someone who cares about her without abusing or belittling her. The relationship brings even more disdain piling down on the unfortunate Coleman Silk.

The Human Stain develops the injustices of such a situation and the human misery that people righteously inflict on each other. It is bleak, bitter and depressing, as well as requiring much concentration to follow the ideas. A worthwhile movie, but enjoyable is hardly the word that comes to mind. Given the importance of the themes, it maybe deserved a more compelling treatment.

Big Fish
- Quirky and lovable - Burton just about carries it off this time
One of the quirkiest and lost lovable of films, Big Fish is about a grandfather who has perfected the art of telling bedtime stories. His stories are all made up, all feature fictionalised episodes from his own past life, and polished to a degree that make them in demand to children and adults alike (except to his own grown-up children, who have heard them once too often). The second most difficult thing about grandfather Ed Bloom is that he is constantly telling these stories. The most difficult thing is that, when it comes to his own life, he tells nothing else.

Most of the film is devoted to putting these stories into pictures, just as he tells them. Fantastical, endlessly inventive and incredibly entertaining, they would be enough for a film itself if only aimed at children; but what makes Big Fish a joy for adults as well as kids is that Ed Bloom's life becomes more than that, it becomes an illustration of the fantastic within all of us and how valuable that it. He is a self-mythologizing man, a living example of the magic that can put a sparkle of wonder in a child's eye, and remind us that imagination is a wonderful thing, not just for storytelling, but to realise the greatness within each of us. It is also one of whimsical and visionary director Tim Burton's most rounded and mature films to date, and makes good use of a star studded cast that includes Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter and Steve Buscemi. A film to leave you smiling all the way home.

Culloden
- Very dramatic historical reconstruction
Enjoying a revival on the art-house circuit, this reconstruction of the famous last battle fought on British soil uses modern documentary-style reporting to convey immediacy. An effective and bloodthirsty film, it covers a landmark period of Scots-Anglo history, showing not only the senseless waste of human life, the total incompetence of the Bonnie Prince Charles as a military leader, but the barbaric excesses of both Scots and English, and the iniquity and the Scottish ‘clan' system. The period opened the way for the ‘clearances' where indigenous people were shipped off and the land used for (more profitable and less troublesome) sheep farming.

It really doesn't have anything very good to say about anyone, English or Scots, but this won't stop many English feeling it is racist and one-sided (just as the English critics as a whole were the only ones in the world to lambaste the magnificently spectacular but historically inaccurate, Braveheart). Watkins may well have had a political agenda – the film was likened to a social commentary on the American involvement in Vietnam (as the gutting of the Gaelic Highlands by the Noble Army was said to parallel the ‘pacification' of the Vietnamese by the U.S. Army). Culloden, however, is not only a key historical massacre but almost part of Scottish folklore. Arguing the details of the battle is still a not uncommon pub conversation, especially to the north and west of the country. My favourite version is by an elderly lady who lives near Culloden (just outside of Inverness) who ‘tells it like she was there'. The movie, although originally made for television, is also a landmark, and riveting stuff, but whether it can justifiably be used to further a pro-Scottish Independence agenda is much shakier, given that it happened a long time ago. (I'm bending over backwards to be fair, but I think the movie is equally damning to Scots and English and not at all 'anti-English').

Lynn
2nd-February-2004, 01:52 PM
Or of course there's . . .
9/10 Lord of the Rings: ROTK
:yeah: I would agree with the 9/10 rating.

Finally got to see LOTR ROTK on Sat night. Really enjoyed it. (Noticed several changes but think they worked well into the film though there was one part of dialogue that I didn't think worked but I can't remember what it was now, and this aspect has been discussed on another thread anyway). My friend who hasn't read the books enjoyed it as much as I did (I have read them many times). Well directed and acted throughout.

Another film I would probably give a high score (8/10?) for would be Moulin Rouge - a unusual cinematic experience - I came out feeling I had been to a show instead of a film. There are a lot of 'average' films made these days, enjoyable enough as an evenings entertainment, but its nice to find something that's a bit different.

Bill
2nd-February-2004, 05:32 PM
Went to see Lost in Translation and for a man who usually prefers something dark or depressing (:rolleyes: ) I really enjoyed it and was smiling all the way home.

Great performances and shows that you don't always need sex, violence and action to have a great film.

Also enjoyed the LOTR but for me it was spoiled by having dummies on horseback in the long shots when they were meant to be Hobitts. Theywere so obviously not real that I was disappointed escpecially after spending millions on special effects. But apart from that wonderful trilogy.

Last year City of God and before that Amos Peres were outstanding films.

TheTramp
2nd-February-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Went to see Lost in Translation and for a man who usually prefers something dark or depressing (:rolleyes: ) I really enjoyed it and was smiling all the way home.

Great performances and shows that you don't always need sex, violence and action to have a great film.I saw Lost in Translation on Saturday. It was okie, and I only fell asleep once I think. But I was tired! And the bits I saw, I quite enjoyed :clap:

Definitely a chick flick though....

Steve

Chris
2nd-February-2004, 07:04 PM
I meant to mention there was a modern jive / rock n roll scene in one of that latest batch - can't remember which one - must have been Sylvia? Didn't recognise any of the dancers.

Bill
3rd-February-2004, 03:17 PM
I saw Lost in Translation on Saturday. It was okie, and I only fell asleep once I think. But I was tired! And the bits I saw, I quite enjoyed :clap:

Definitely a chick flick though....

Steve

How come I find myself enjoying a chick flick :what: And it was quite cheerful. Oh no.................... surely I'm not becoming a happy person. Must go see something depressing soon.:whistle: :rolleyes:

Mary
3rd-February-2004, 04:19 PM

btw Does anyone else use IMDb to record their views? post the link if you do :)

I'm listed on that - under 'people'!! But you'd have to know my surname to look me up :wink: And it's not a complete filmography :sad:

M

Chris
3rd-February-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Mary
I'm listed on that - under 'people'!! But you'd have to know my surname to look me up :wink: And it's not a complete filmography :sad:
M
What fun! I would love to see the reference - do PM me if you want to share it but not be public (am happy to respect a confidence). I love dredging through IMDb but I think I've only ever met / known one person who's actually listed. I love reading reviews by other people I've met as well - so much more fun when there's a face to the name. :)

(Mine's just reviews (http://comments.imdb.com/CommentsAuthor?64493) )

foxylady
3rd-February-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mary

M

I'm listed too !! 'Swing kids' featured dancer....

not under my pseudonym though... (Boomster 'the detective' blew my cover via the IMdB)

FL

Mary
3rd-February-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by foxylady
I'm listed too !! 'Swing kids' featured dancer....

not under my pseudonym though... (Boomster 'the detective' blew my cover via the IMdB)

FL

Wow, cool! I'm going to have to check it out.

M

Bill
4th-February-2004, 01:02 PM
Might try and catch Girl with the Pearl Earing tonight. Be interesting to compare Scarlett Johansen's performance in this compared to Beyond Translation. Trailers and reviews looked good.

Chris
4th-February-2004, 02:47 PM
Lovely to hear from people on the Forum who have actually been involved with filmmaking. Like a small window opening into different worlds and interests . . .

On films and dancing - a thought that maybe some poeple will relate to (and many not, but one I'll be trying fwiw ... )

I was listening to Nicole Kidman's commentary on The Hours (on the new DVD features) and she was describing an acting technique she used 'like electricity' as an idea was born in her mind and travelled quickly down her arm and fingers, and I was thinking how we often don't (consciously) know what we're about to do next in dancing - it just happens - so paraphrasing . . . 'thinking of it like electricity, the moment of that dance starting in head and heart, and travelling very quickly down the arm, through fingers, communicating to and through partner, and taking form on the dancefloor . . .'

(Errrm . . . Is this why I get static electricity off so many partners . . . ) :)

Another one - Julianne Moore said how Kidman rehearses a lot to get it just right, whereas she (Moore) likes to rehearse as little as possible, to let subtleties just be created in front of the camera before they get stale. Not sure how this would apply to dance but I suppose it might . . .

Chris
7th-February-2004, 12:24 AM
The Dreamers - Something’s Gotta Give - Scary Movie 3

The Dreamers – Sex, film history and politics (or soft porn for socialites)
It was the May and June of 1968 in France. Student uprisings were occurring in many countries, frequently in response to the U.S. war in VietNam, but in France the situation was more complex and more embracing. Amongst those taking to the streets were cinephiles, protesting over the way film was distributed and also its political content. French New Wave cinema was born, led by such people as Godard and Truffaut. Riots broke out and strikes ensued. Godard and Truffaut both received a beating in the mayhem and the fights (which involved tear gas and Molotov cocktails).

The film’s story starts just before all this. A Californian youth (Matthew) meets up with two fellow film buffs (Theo and Isabelle, who are brother and sister) and they become close friends, united by youthful hedonism, a bohemian, revolutionary spirit, and a love of cinema that spills over into elaborate games and dares, testing each other’s knowledge of movies. The film’s elements include the developing sexual challenges between the three main characters, the atmosphere of political unrest and uprising, and a detailed questioning of various cinematic trends. A backdrop of some of the best sound recordings of the time (Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Doors) uses analogous developments and confrontations in music, characteristic of that period. Director Bertolucci (of Last Tango in Paris), also pushes at the boundaries of censorship with the sexual themes and degree of full frontal nudity (censorship was a major issue in French cinema in the late sixties – today it is U.S. distributors that are complaining about the nudity in The Dreamers). There are also political dilemmas represented by the pacifist Matthew (who feels he has been lucky to dodge the draft) and the French siblings who preach love but allow their left-wing sympathies to not rule out violence. In an interesting debate about film, or viewing one’s life as a film, Theo expresses admiration for Mao’s red army and what a wonderful film that would make – but Matthew points out that in such a film ‘everyone would be extras, no-one would be special’.

The final mix in The Dreamers is a heady cocktail for serious film lovers, but not mainstream by any standards. Reflecting its subject matter, this is cinema as art rather than as entertainment.

Something’s Gotta Give – old-young love stories, well-worn plots, but great acting
A romantic comedy in which Jack Nicholson (as Harry) revives much of his role from As Good As It Gets and plays the type of character he has in so many movies now – aging, eccentric, charismatic – but this time with an eye for the ladies – in fact ladies that are always less than half his age. Balancing heart attacks with a string of love affairs with beautiful young women, he suddenly finds himself being cared for by his latest romance (Amanda Peet), her mother Erica (Diane Keaton) and Dr Julian Mercer (Keanu Reeves). Julian is attracted to the older woman. This predictable romp is enlivened by some fabulous dialogue (Harry: 'I have never lied to you, I have always told you some version of the truth.') and a talented cast. Nicholson so often overshadows everyone in a movie, but here Keaton shows she can give him measure for measure (the parts were written especially with these two actors in mind). Gradually Harry and Erica are drawn together, against their initial judgements, and this formulaic and improbable story nevertheless manages to be entertaining for a couple of hours.

Scary Movie 3 – A film to round off the pub crawl
Round three of gratuitous bad-taste spoof comedy has unlikely characters chasing crop circles, alien invaders, and people dying mysteriously seven days after watching a weird video. It includes several silicone-enhanced women, a white rapper, and other caricatures of actors or characters from other movies (as well as several that just play themselves). The IMDb website lists 23 movies (horror, sci-fi and other) that receive the send up treatment so, if you see enough mainstream movies, half the fun is seeing how many references you can spot. My own list included two that weren’t in the IMDb list - Dark Water and Something About Mary – but there were enough I didn’t spot to make it party fun for watching again later with such friends who can share these otherwise mindless gutter offerings. Riotously politically incorrect or just dumb – depending on how low you let your taste in comedy sink. Quite honestly it’s not a very good movie, but if you liked stuff like Scream 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer, or South Park, you might well enjoy this as well.

jivecat
7th-February-2004, 11:52 AM
4/10 Touching the Void - walking in the rain is more fun than watching this dramatic reconstruction of two daft climbers getting stuck on a mountain.

This film is a must-see for anyone with the remotest interest in climbing, though I'm not sure how much the worlds of MJ & mountaineering overlap. (Come on, you Scottish Cerocers, I know you have mountains up there.)

It's a true story of incredible human endurance and tenacity. As the limit of my human endurance is lasting out to the end of a 12:30 finish freestyle I was fascinated to see what other people get up to in the name of fun, and was literally holding my breath with fear and horror during parts of the movie.

However, it's not just another cliffhanging, adventure movie. The story gets it's strength and power from the relationship of the two men involved, the difficulty of the life-or-death, ethical (or otherwise) decisions that had to be made, and the pathos of Joe Simpson's fear, loneliness and isolation as he waited to die. His book of his experiences is extremely well-written, and predictably, deals with with his emotional and psychological despair better than a film ever could.

The film has just three unknown actors and a lot of amazing mountain shots, cut with footage of the three real-life people telling their story direct to the camera, and I assume was very cheap to make. A refreshing change from seeing the usual tired old thesps in the latest sickly-sentimental offering from Hollywood (or wherever) that's had squillions of dollars thrown at it in an effort to manipulate our emotions whilst parting us from our cash.

Chris
7th-February-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by jivecat
This film is a must-see for anyone with the remotest interest in climbing, though I'm not sure how much the worlds of MJ & mountaineering overlap. (Come on, you Scottish Cerocers, I know you have mountains up there.) . . . (snip)

An excellent review from Jivecat :). I was aware that the point of the film slipped by me completely, but the fact that it's still bringing in audiences weeks later and was nominated for a Bafta shows it's obvious appeal, and the technical accomplishment is unchallengeable. Just I didn't like it personally.

It would be good to get more reviews from totally different perspectives. The only paper I think I've seen do this is Rolling Stone. One publisher I used to work for accepted several different reviews (of books) under pseudonyms of famous fictional or dead people, but this might be OTT for here lol!

btw I usually try to indicate when my comments are likely to be at odds with most of the viewing public but didn't here (mea cupla) as the film irritated me so much - but so would climbing a Munro!

Other popular films I've hated include The English Patient (feel asleep three times), Sliding Doors (that predictable Paltrow again in a trivial predictable story) and Moulin Rouge (Elton John is bad enough, but Ewan McGregor mouthing the words to an Elton John song - eughh!). But I wouldn't deny that any of these films are top notch and two out the three have won many top awards.

Similarly I loved Mulholland Drive and (out later this month) Dogville, but although they are both critically acclaimed they will be hated by many.

Chris
16th-February-2004, 04:05 AM
Dressed for Rehearsal? Baftas before Oscars

So who watched the British Academy Awards (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3490323.stm) tonight? Are they a pre-cursor for the Oscars or were the dresses the most interesting thing? Did the right people win?? (http://www.bafta.org/press/releases/pr_150204_1.htm) My own lighthearted feelings as I treated to myself to cups of tea, cans of Stella, and feet up on my comfy sofa, texting comments with other sad devotees and considering 'fashion' awards . . .

:clap:Best Dressed Woman
1st equal:
Alicia Silverstone (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39863000/jpg/_39863407_alicia.jpg) in a stunning red gown that perfectly offset her beautiful blonde hair and
Sofia Coppola in a tasteful black dress, neck straps holding a barely attached top, and the hem billowing gently behind her an inch or two, looking the epitome of elegance with hardly an make-up as she accepted the award on behalf of her leading man Bill Murray.
Close runner up:
Julie Richards (who presented the cinematography), showing that orange has finer uses than naming the sponsors.
Also nominated were:
Naomi Watts (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39863000/jpg/_39863311_watts.jpg) in a gorgeous black dress split down the front; Scarlett Johansson (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39863000/jpg/_39863377_scarlett.jpg), looking stunning in a silver dress that moved languorously as she walked; and Holly Hunter, showing that you can still look sexy and elegant over thirty in a well-chosen black number.

:clap:Of the men, Johhny Depp walked away with Best Dressed without (sadly) moving from his seat, in period-style evening dress; whilst Paul Bettany at least distinguished himself from the other penguins in a cool grey suit offset with black shirt and black silk tie.

:clap:Disasters of the evening were headed by Fran Walsh (Peter Jackson's spouse) from New Zealand, showing that the success of her LOTR script hasn't gone to her head, still wearing a frumpy concoction that looked like half mumsy black top joined to a faded off-white patterned skirt that had that unique jumble sale look. Pretty awful hairdo too.
Itching at her for second place there were quite a few contestants.
Emma Thompson (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39863000/jpg/_39863187_emma.jpg) stood out - as did her pointy bits - behind what could best be described as a piece of material that was shapeless enough not to emphasise her shape or lack of it.
Rene Zellwegger, true to form, had a fairly hideous black dress that had a black petticoat attached to the outside.
Miranda Richardson had an interesting concoction of silvery baubles attached to a gauzy background - quite Christmassy in fact - the sort of think you would think your mum looked very stylish in if she showed up at the school nativity play wearing.
But it would be unfair not to mention that style-free zone Helena Bonham Carter, who obviously lives too secluded a life to ever brush with the fashion police, and who gamely sported a weird black dress thing that looked as if it had a fringe of frayed threads across her bust, gaining her second place for Worst Dressed Celebrity.

:clap:FILMS
Apparently films were being honoured as well. They have a sort of lottery where Bafta members chat about films the way men supposedly brag about sexual conquests without having seen many. They fill in 'voting slips' and then come along on the night to watch Americans get upset.
Stephen Fry did the most lovable of introductions, and Scarlett Johansson did one of the nicest acceptance speeches for Lost in Translation, becoming very prettily speechless. LOTR got five awards including Best Film, but lots of blank looks as Touching the Void grabbed Best British Film (beating Cold Mountain, Girl With The Pearl Earring, Love Actually and In This World); and also as Master & Commander scored Best Director over LOTR, Lost in Translation and other worthies. Lost in Translation wins both top best acting accolades. Rene Zellwegger, in spite of her dress, gets Best Supporting Actress, the only major award for Cold Mountain that was nominated for 13 Baftas.
The one award I was genuinely thrilled to see was John Boorman receiving the Academy Fellowship Award - a genuinely remarkable human being, and director of such great films as Deliverance, Point Blank, Excalibur, Emerald Forest and Beyond Rangoon. The sort of person who brings back the ideal of 'honour'. Without that, art can die a death of populism in such 'democratic' award ceremonies.

Will the results affect the Oscars? This year, Oscar voters have a full nine days before their own ballots close. More importantly, will the fashion statements learn their lessons in time?

jivecat
16th-February-2004, 12:44 PM
.......and Holly Hunter, showing that you can still look sexy and elegant over thirty in a well-chosen black number.

(Sound of jaw dropping) Are you quite, quite sure that this was a wise thing to say, Chris?

Couldn't you have said just a little bit more about the elegance & sexiness (or otherwise) of any men present who may have been similarly advanced in years?

Perhaps you are not aware that (some) women have been fighting for decades to be seen as more than the sum of their appearance?

Chris
16th-February-2004, 02:41 PM
(Sound of jaw dropping) Are you quite, quite sure that this was a wise thing to say, Chris?

Errrm.... I was reliably informed by text quite early this morning that this came over a bit wrong ...

:blush: :rofl:

Chris
16th-February-2004, 05:28 PM
pleased to see today's press (http://www.anorak.co.uk/news.cfm?id=165149) came to some not dissimilar conclusions on fashion winners

Helena Bonham Carter doing the 'dead emu' impression - that was the phrase I was looking for :sick:

Some more piccies here. (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=13954729&method=full) - the Emma Thompson dress got a better crit there - and nice photo! and some great photos from Guardian Online (http://film.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,8544,1149261,00.html) or the horses mouth (and fabulous photos - just as you'd expect!) from Vogue (http://www.vogue.co.uk/Gallery/The_Baftas_2004/default.html) (click main panel for great slide show). Or from Glamour.com (http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/fashion/do_and_dont/default.asp?page=8550)

Stuart
19th-February-2004, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jivecat
[B]This film is a must-see for anyone with the remotest interest in climbing, though I'm not sure how much the worlds of MJ & mountaineering overlap. (Come on, you Scottish Cerocers, I know you have mountains up there.)

I was glad to read this review of the film. I've just seen that it will be showing locally in a couple of weeks time for one night only. I'll have to make sure I go.

Chris
19th-February-2004, 03:09 AM
Current releases: School of Rock - Dogville - It's All About Love

Mainstream

7/10 School of Rock (http://www.schoolofrockmovie.com/)
A quick glance at the story or trailer tells you that School of Rock is probably the cheesiest, gratuitous, airhead excuse for a movie in ages, but if you thought that was a good reason to avoid it you’d be wrong. Jack Black plays the slightly past it rocker, stuck in a groove of 70s heavy metal rock and roll and refusing to move on – until his (more up to date) band fire him. Struggling to pay the rent, he takes a phone call intended for his schoolteacher flatmate and accepts a job as supply teacher at a top school. Soon he has the kids not only studying the history of rock and roll, soundproofing the room and playing rock instruments, but actually competing in a major ‘Battle of the Bands’ competition.

Unbelievable? Yes. What’s more unbelievable is that somehow the whole thing works – Jack Black’s over-the-top enthusiasm for his subject is contagious, the edge-of-disaster suspense is continued throughout the length of the movie, and by the end the audience is so desperate to see how the kids (who they all play their own instruments by the way) perform in the concert that seat wetting would probably go unnoticed. Joan Cusack, as the gobsmacked headmistress, delivers a performance that is worth the price of your cinema ticket in itself. Achieving such tears-down-the cheeks laughter and adrenalin-packed excitement for air guitar music is nothing short of miraculous.

School of Rock is a movie that promises entertainment and delivers. Everything is as it says on the packet. For sheer feelgood factor, this movie is unbeatable – and you can even take the kids!

Art house
(at selected cinemas and multiplexes nationwide)

9/10 Dogville (http://www.dogville.co.uk/)
Nicole Kidman plays Grace, an attractive young woman escaping from some gangsters. She ends up in Dogville, a small, 1930s hamlet in the Rocky Mountains, offering to do chores for the inhabitants in return for their hiding her. At first they refuse - quite arrogantly - saying they don't need anything; but the local writer/philosopher (Tom) intercedes, and she gratefully ends up doing something for everyone. The townspeople, however, develop a sense of how much they are risking by sheltering her and increase her tasks until they become oppressive and abusive. They piously proclaim ‘it is for her own good’ as she undergoes increasing humiliation and trauma. Grace, however, harbours a terrible secret. Moral dilemmas of forgiveness, justice, tolerance, arrogance build through increasingly horrific scenarios, and culminate in a traumatic and disturbing ending.

This movie is not an easy movie to watch – and, be warned, it lasts for three hours. The first half hour can seem tedious and affected. Some of the later scenes are exceedingly graphic and difficult to accept. It will surprise you, it may distress you, and it may cause you to ask questions about yourself. It looks at psychological mechanisms by which people expose their real natures without necessarily posing answers. It may make you walk out before the end (though hopefully you won’t!)

Grace is not only the name of the main character, but also the ‘state of grace’ which descends on the unsuspecting town. This symbolism is strengthened by unusual cinematography - it is shot, for instance, on a relatively bare sound stage with markings for walls, bushes and the dog. This avant-garde theatrical style is unnerving to the viewer at first, but after half an hour or so one just absorbs it and becomes unaware of it, the way one does, say, with subtitles. Dogville, indicated almost entirely by chalk lines, soon feels real and solid. Whether it is justified relies on how much you buy into the mythology being ingeniously created and depicted (though my opinion is that this is one of those rare cases where revolutionary technique has been completely and holistically justified). As the plot develops we see the emotional isolation of Grace whilst those in nearby houses turn a blind eye. We become increasingly aware of moral dilemmas, the self-justification of the townspeople, Grace's accepting and uncomplaining nature, and the implications of these dynamics in our own world.

The movie has a strong (though not explicit) comment on attitudes shaped by New Testament fundamentalism, of 'turning the other cheek' and of Old Testament 'eye for an eye' philosophies, but the bigger puzzle put to us is how valid these are and how far they can be taken. There is also a more overt comment on political policy, and many people from the United States have taken offence at the perceived allusion to American foreign and domestic policy.

Dogville is gut wrenching in a way that stays with us long after we leave the cinema. It is a movie for serious filmgoers rather than someone wanting easily-digestible entertainment. In its own way, the film is a monumental achievement, for its innovative techniques, its effectiveness and impact on its audience, and its implications on the world we live in. It is the most mature and arresting work made by Danish Dogme founder Lars von Trier and a modern masterpiece (if also a readily misunderstood one).

When it was first released in America, it was vilified by Variety magazine as anti-American. The controversy arises over the end credits, images unexpectedly overlaid, Bowie’s song ‘Young Americans’, and implications that seem suddenly a little too close for comfort. Yet in the director’s words, “If there is a moral it is that good and evil exists in everybody and circumstances can bring it out.”

Political comment, satire, religious metaphor, an expose of psychological forces within each of us, a feminist diatribe, or pure cinematic art? Dogville is probably all of these. Or is it just pretentious twaddle? Critics worldwide have been divided and will continue to be divided on Dogville, but its place in cinema history seems assured, as does its place in the annals of Kidman’s greatest works.

(Note: I have tried to write this mini-review in a way that does not include spoilers. I am interested in corresponding with anyone who has a deeper interest in the film, or the work of its Director, Lars Von Trier, and the Danish school of ‘Dogme’ cinema which he founded in the 90s. Dogville is ‘post-Dogme’, and does not conform to the rules of Dogme film making.)

8/10 It’s All About Love (http://www.tvropa.com/itsallaboutlove/)
If Dogville shows the new directions taken by Director Lars von Trier since Dogme, It’s All About Love shows the very different creativity of Dogme co-founder Thomas Vinterberg.

John (Joaquin Phoenix) is planning to meet his wife Elena between flights in order to have divorce papers signed. Their marriage has broken down some years ago. It is as if their 'calendars are written in different languages.’ Things are not what they seem. And things don’t go as planned.

It’s All About Love is set in the near future but defies the sci-fi or any other genre tag. Attention is focussed on the title, what love is really about. What happens when a relationship ends? When you still ‘love’ someone but no longer want to be part of each other’s world? When the other person seems like almost another person to the one you knew? It’s All about Love looks at parallel emotional dislocation and its extension into the physical world, a world near the brink of cosmic collapse. It contains images of stunning beauty and is also jarring and artistically innovative. It’s probably also the quirkiest movie since David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive.

(Note to dancers – also contains fabulous figure skating scenes from Claire Danes, who has trained as a dancer.)

Bill
19th-February-2004, 12:53 PM
Elephant

Not exactly an enjoyable film but some very good performances from a young cast and very very depressing in that events like these do happen. No particular reasons given and no resolution.

Perhaps almost too arty in it's direction and storyline at times but the silence in the theatre at the end certainly conveyed the feelings of the audience.

Chris
27th-February-2004, 02:24 AM
If anyone else is staying up to watch the Oscars on Sunday night or similarly obsessed, please feel free to PM me. Don't know if there's a party on this year at the Filmhouse yet but may just watch it at home - bets on? oooos and ahhhhs at who wins, loses, wears nice outfits?

Chris
27th-February-2004, 10:12 PM
If you haven't booked Monday off work yet, why not??? The glitziest film event of the year. Stock up on deluxe nibbles, pour (no, correct that, get someone else to pour) a glass of bubbly, feet up, and breathe in the air of the posh people darhling . . . :waycool: Print your ballot sheet out, guess the winners, try the quiz first if you're feeling brave, put your best frock on (if only in your imagination) and eye up the talent on display (never mind the movies)
:rofl:

Printable ballot (http://www.oscar.com/nominees/print_ballot.html)

Nominee list with links to details of films and people (http://www.oscar.com/nominees/nomineelist.html)

Oscars fashion pages
Oscar.com (http://www.oscar.com/style/index.html)
Oscars.org (http://www.oscars.org/76academyawards/misc/fashion_preview.html)

List of presenters & performers (http://www.oscars.org/76academyawards/presenters_performers.html)

Reminder list of the eligible films (http://www.oscars.org/76academyawards/reminder/index.html)

TV Coverage:

Channel: BBC1 Scotland
Sunday 29 February Time: 10:55pm to 11:25pm
Film 2004 Oscars Preview with Jonathan Ross
Channel: BBC1 Scotland
Date: Monday 01 March Time: 12:50am to 5:00am
The 76th Annual Academy Awards

BBC Oscars Page (includes an interactive quiz) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/entertainment/2004/oscars)

:clap:

Chris
1st-March-2004, 07:51 AM
Quick results - before I go to bed!

The Lord of the Rings, Return of the King made history getting all eleven of its nominations.

Flying the flag for Scotland were Sean Connery who opened the ceremonies, and Annie Lennox who won the Oscar for Best Song (in Lord of the Rings).

List: Tim Robbins Best Supporting Actor for Mystic River. Lord of the Rings ROTK Art Direction. Best Animation Finding Nemo. Renee Zellweger, Best Supporting Actress for Cold Mountain (holding back lots of emotion, very overwhelmed, said, "thank you for making me dream more than I would ever dream and thank you for making me believe.") Costume - Lord of the Rings. Visual Effects Lord of the Rings. Make Up Lord of the Rings. Sound Mixing Lord of the Rings. Sound Editing Master and Commander. Best Documentary The Fog of War. Best Original Score Lord of the Rings. Film Editing Lord of the Rings. Original Song Lord of the Rings (Annie Lennox). Best Foreign Language The Barbarian Invasions. Master and Commander Cinematography. Adapted Screenplay Lord of the Rings. Original Screenplay Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola). Best Direction Lord of the Rings. Best Actress Charlize Theron (for Monster). Best Actor Sean Penn for Mystic River. Best Film Lord of the Rings.

Have tried to add some fashion notes as I think there's some ladies on the Forum who like this (with such predictable winners in the films, the dresses can be the most interesting bit!)

My faves? Angelina Jolie, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Julia Roberts, and Renee Zellweger.

Angelina Jolie went for a sexy look (unsurprisingly!!) with a daringly deep-cut plunge-neck white satin halter gown. Catherine Zeta-Jones had a magnificent fiery red Versace scoop-neck gown with mermaid like patterns on the bodice. As she walked it billowed like gently undulating waves behind her. Julia Roberts had a bronze-coloured Armani gown with a deep V-neck, and gathered waist decorated with a jewel. Renee Zellweger, often a bit of a disaster in the fashion department IMO, wore lovely white strapless column gown with a sort of tightly draped bodice and back bow. The thick material stood out from the ankle and gave her the traditional shape of a chaste ‘angel’ as she walked.

Nicole Kidman, had a pale green Chanel dress with a ruffled train, that was both strapless and backless(!) Scarlett Johannson also looked immaculate in a turquoise dress – one of the youngest but maybe also one of the most consistently well-dressed actresses at the moment. It had a delicate herringbone pattern and a tiny feminine swish at the back as she walked.

Skin colours seemed in - Charlize Theron in a stunning silvery eggshell Gucci gown with spaghetti-straps and a fishtail train; and Naomi Watts' had a skin-toned Versace creation adorned with teardrop-shaped crystals. And Stella McCartney did rather well - she designed a classic 1930s-look ice blue silk-satin dress for award-winner Annie Lennox.

(I admit I've had to look the designers up to see who's who!)

In the disaster department, New Zealander Fran Walsh (LOTR scriptwriter) outdid her stunningly awful Baftas outfit by appearing as a sort of wicked witch gone wrong, and her partner Peter Jackson looked determinedly unkempt, top button undone of an apparently ill-fitting shirt with a necktie that had maybe been tied by someone else (that is being kind - Jonathan Ross was less nice about it lol). Runner up (though by quite a long chalk) was maybe Susan Sarandon (I'd describe her dress except it would put me off my breakfast to think of the words). :blush:

Not too much controversy - Mike Moore's anti-war speech from last was caricatured by inserting him digitally into Lord of the Rings where he told the Orcs to "stop fighting this fictitious war", and (Best Actor Award) Sean Penn quipped that if there was one thing actors knew - apart from the fact that there were no WMD - it was that there was no such thing as best actor.

Having made a brilliant film, the New Zealanders managed to make the 'worst' acceptance speeches, bringing quips about everyone in New Zealand being thanked and that they had now run out of people to thank and would have to import some. Charlize Theron thanked, among other people, her lawyer; Blake Edwards sincerely thanked his foes, and the Canadian crew from Barbarian Invasions made perhaps the shortest, most dignified acceptance speech.

The Barbarian Invasions is also my favourite film of the winners - one of those rare films that says so much it can change your outlook on life.
:cheers:

Chris
1st-March-2004, 06:50 PM
The websites have got the photos up now

Channel4 Oscars picture gallery of stars
http://www.channel4.com/film/newsfeatures/microsites/O/oscars_2004/red_carpet00.html

Vogue Oscars Gallery
http://www.vogue.co.uk/Gallery/The_Oscars_2004/default.html

Guardian Oscars Gallery
http://film.guardian.co.uk/gallery/image/0,8545,-10204865906,00.html

Ludicrously expensive shoes - $2m diamond shoes (by Stuart Weitzman, if you're interested) - Alison Krauss who sang one of the nominated songs from Cold Mountain
http://film.guardian.co.uk/gallery/image/0,8545,-10404865906,00.html

Some quotes from the evening
http://film.guardian.co.uk/oscars2004/story/0,14064,1159381,00.html

Stuart
3rd-March-2004, 09:31 PM
Finally got to see "Touching the Void" this evening. I was on the edge of my seat towards the end.

Kevin MacDonald, who directed this, also made another film a couple of years ago that is worth catching. Its called "One Day in September" and is about the massacre at the 1972 Olympics. I seem to remember it won an Oscar for Best Documentary.

Chris
12th-March-2004, 05:10 PM
Have been a bit remiss with movies of late - I usually try and get to see new stuff as it comes out and post comments on IMDb etc but fwiw . . .

21 Grams - Barbarian Invasions - Infernal Affairs - House of Sand & Fog - Jigoku - Liquid Sky - Thundercrack!

8/10 21 Grams
Lots of awards and nominations went to this film - which is basically a fairly unimaginative story told in a very imaginative way (and with outstanding acting from heartthrob hunk Benicio Del Toro, the skilful Naomi Watts, and a remarkably restrained Sean Penn).

The 'imaginative storytelling' involves a definite goodbye to linear storytelling. This is not an assortment of flashbacks, or flashbacks within flashbacks, but a jigsaw pattern of pieces from different timeframes in the characters' lives that the audience has to piece together to find out what has happened.

We see Sean Penn on a ventilator, criss-cross to him a respectable cool-dude, criss-cross again to him as gun-toting nutter(?) . . . and re-criss-cross till you are forced to start thinking laterally. What happened to him to encompass such contrasts?

Same thing with Naomi Watts (who played the wonderfully mysterious character in Mulholland Drive). We see her as stressed out druggie, as beautiful, well-balanced wife and mother in standard well-to-do American household, one minute her husband is there and she’s obviously devoted to him, another minute she's having sexy kit-off love scenes with someone else. What???? Arrrrgh!!

21 Grams however, unlike Mulholland Drive, all comes to form a whole in logical order and without repeated viewing or intense study. The pieces fall together with dramatic clarity. There's been a hit and run, Benicio is a convict turned born-again Christian, and there's a heart transplant that figures pretty centrally. 21 Grams is, we are told, the weight of a chocolate bar, but we are given to understand that everyone loses 21 Grams at the moment of death (these philosophical stretches of the imagination are a bit harder to take in, but poetically they add up, also as the 'weight of true love' for instance.)

Virginia Woolf once said "My difficulty is that I am writing to a rhythm and not to a plot . . . though the rhythmical is more natural to me than the narrative, it is completely opposed to the tradition of fiction and I am casting about all the time for some rope to throw the reader." The same might have been said by the writer of 21 Grams. It is not obscure or impossible, but it is very creative cinematic style - be prepared to concentrate hard.

But remarkable and accomplished piece of film-making though it is, the length of two hours plus is slightly overkill. Having grasped the (ultimately fairly hackneyed) story I didn't really need the point laboured for the last half hour or so, but at least it was continually enlivened by fabulous acting and script. A film I’m pleased I didn't miss, but more the entrée for a new type of dish than a sophisticated example.

9/10 Barbarian Invasions (subtitled)
It's difficult to get excited about this film from the trailer - believe me (or believe the awards heaped on it) - this is a brilliant film, one that could even change your outlook on life.

A dying man is have difficulty coming to terms with his approaching death, of being old and dying instead of young and licentious, of accepting his family who seem to go against all his learned principles, of balancing reminiscences against the inevitable finality of death.

Not very exciting stuff? Except it is. It is packed with wit, deep reflections on the meaning of life and how you live it, bombastic characters that have all the realism associated with French cinema at its best (it's a French Canadian production). It reflects on the current state of the world, on 9/11, on the contrast of worldly success vs intellectual achievement vs a woman's understanding. The different characters, and the sacrifices to their own egos which they bravely make, touch us because they reflect aspects of everyone's most private self.

If you only see one film of substance this year, make it The Barbarian Invasions.

7/10 Infernal Affairs (subtitled)
I missed the first twenty minutes so am loathe to comment, except to say this is a cutting edge Hong Kong cops-and-baddies thriller stuff. In this fight-against-organised-crime there are undercover moles in both the syndicate and the police, providing a cat and mouse chase that is edge-of-seat stuff to the very end. Some imaginative techniques as well - eg a stand off where we here the sound of the gunshot just before it happens - who shot first?? - the event is then played out immediately in slow motion, heightening and milking the suspense. Fun.

6/10 House of Sand & Fog
A very mainstream film enlivened by Oscar-nominated acting performances. Most people, I suspect, will find it an outstanding film - I think I'm in a minority in being more skeptical.

It focuses on an administrative error that results in low-wager Jennifer Connelly being turfed out of the home she has inherited. The house is sold on at auction before the error is corrected. Her recourse would be to sue, but meanwhile she is homeless. Cue Ben Kingsley as middle-east refugee who has fled to America and worked his fingers to the bone to get enough money to make a property investment and try to get back a fraction of the upper class lifestyle he and his family were accustomed to. He wants to sell the house off after buying it at a fraction of the value. Big moral dilemma(?) - who is in the right?

My skepticism is that the Jennifer Connolly character lives in a wealthy but morally near-bankrupt country (ie the USA) with the social and legal system to boot. I can't feel sorry for her for not staying on the ball. If you play the game, respect the rules. Kingsley's character harkens from an equally morally bankrupt country and culture - he's not really better or worse - just different.

To help us 'solve' the dilemma we are offered a cutesy, predictable love story. Eugh. Still, House of Sand and Fog is ok as low-brain-activity entertainment. (Hated the sentimental, constantly intrusive music too - but my tastes are not everyone's - even the music was Oscar nominated).

(The next three films are from the mini-festival, 'Cult!' in Edinburgh recently so I won't go into great detail - specialist cinema that may not, as far as I know, even be touring.)

5/10 Jigoku (subtitled)
Tortured Japanese classic that has some grisly re-creations of hell with people being sawn in half. With material like that it would have been nice if it hadn't been so woodenly acted, tediously scripted, lacking in the moral consistency that was fairly essential to the plot, or not over an hour and a half long. Strictly for students of Japanese cinema.

8/10 Liquid Sky
I could watch this film again and again for the fabulous retro costumes alone. It is a low-budget sci-fi about aliens in a miniature flying saucers that home in on a chemical released in the brain during orgasm which is akin to heroin. There's very little aliens-action, but lots of psychedelic photography, a cunning rhythm that sucks you into the world of Warhol-like druggies, freelove-devotees, artists, fashion designers, experimental musicians, OTT models, and bisexuals. Liquid Sky is a gem (and also contains perhaps the most realistic lesbian sex scene I've ever seen!) Sod the make-up unless is at least as wild as Ziggy Stardust, leave your gender attitude at the door, embrace existence as rocket-fuelled experience, and tune in to Liquid Sky.

8/10 Thundercrack!
Imagine Rocky Horror in black and white as serious perved-out schlock-horror. Let's soup up the story a little . . .

We have a big old mansion on the hill. Some strangers are caught in a thunderstorm as their truck breaks down and decide to shelter. They are shown to a room in which they can change into some dry clothes (this room just happens to contain a wide variety of sexual 'aids').

Soup it up a bit more. One of the characters is love-sick for a sex-crazed gorilla he had an affair with when he used to work in the circus. The owner of the mansion has the remains of her husband pickled in various bottles in the kitchen. Her son contracted a weird condition in the Far East that made his balls so heavy they crushed things and sent him crazy so he's behind a locked door.

Into what is becoming an increasingly complicated story that involves clichéd situations treated and re-created with incredible vision, add the odd 'porno' scene (why have pretend ones??). Just to make sure the audience isn't full of old men in dirty raincoats, include a bountiful mix of hetero and gay sex and keep the story so edge of the seat that you couldn't spend too much time getting turned on anyway.

If you like cult films this as a jewel. Go and see it with very open-minded friends, or people you know ahem - very well!

jivecat
12th-March-2004, 07:16 PM

..........on the contrast of worldly success vs intellectual achievement vs a woman's understanding.

Er, Chris, I think this may have come over a bit wrong again! But I'll certainly try to see the film.

Chris
12th-March-2004, 07:36 PM
Er, Chris, I think this may have come over a bit wrong again! But I'll certainly try to see the film.

Do see the film - much better than I could ever give it credit for.

I was describing some the great strengths (but diametrically opposed, inasfar as the story goes, until they cross the the bridges) of some of the characters.

There is a man who is successful in a worldly way, a good man, who wants to use his wealth and influence for good ends (he's stopped at first because he doesn't realise that his more academically successful relative wants to confront the system without help, to live by his own deals and accept medicare).

There's a dying man who is a great intellectual, whose friends include top experts in the arts, sciences, literaure, a professor whose estimation of 'worth' is very non-materialistic. He is also very much a hedonist, and shocks his more conservative relatives.

There is a woman who can see past the well-meaning but intractable male egos and help them to cut through the cr*p. She is a hero. I use the phrase 'a woman's understanding' unashamedly.

Women, whether it is culturally or biologically, often (not always) have a greater ability for empathy than men, a greater ability to progress a situation in a non-competitive light. Men and women can learn a lot from each other, especially the gender-strenths of each. The phrase 'a woman's understanding' is also meaningful in a literary sense I believe - there are things that a woman often comes to understand, through the ordeals of childbirth, through making her way in a male-dominated culture, even using feminine charm - men are just beginners class at such things IMO.

(And I'll stop before I get soap boxy about feminism - a subject close to my heart, but not one that I think it is appropriate for men to bang on about.)

jivecat
12th-March-2004, 08:11 PM
Men and women can learn a lot from each other, especially the gender-strenths of each.

So what gender strengths do you think us ladies could usefully pick up then?

(And I'll stop before I get soap boxy about feminism - a subject close to my heart, but not one that I think it is appropriate for men to bang on about.)

I don't think I've had an argument about feminism since about 1983; takes me right back!

Chris
15th-March-2004, 09:12 PM
Would love to hear your views on feminism in cinema Jivecat - care to share?
:waycool:

Chris
18th-March-2004, 02:39 AM
Current films: Honey

Review for non-dancers
Silly formulaic rubbish - dance obsessed teen who has a fairly hollow life (outside of her desire to dance and be nice to kids) goes through predictable scenarios in her Flashdance/Save-The-Last-Dance-style 'rise to success'. She's a girl from the Bronx who makes good. About as original as a woolworths cover album, but maybe kinda nice as a nice, saccharine-coated hip-hop eulogy firmly aimed at the teen market, as long as you can accept its emptiness without wanting anything more.

Review for dancers
From the first few minutes of this movie, the dancing and music starts pumping and hardly lets up till the end. Most dance movies have a fluffy story interspersed with some cool dancing, one or two have a fluffy story with overly drawn-out dancing, whereas this one hangs on a feelgood story that requires large amounts of snappy dancing in almost every scene.

You know that emotion when you see a dancer spin, and from the flick of her hands and hair, sparks fly off and light up the room. Her enthusiasm is so high that just watching her makes you want to give up that day job and do anything that is vaguely music/dance/keep-fit related. You want to just let the light shine out of you every time you dance - for the thrill of it, for the joy it can bring to others, as an affirmation perhaps of life itself.

Ballet-trained Honey Daniels (Jessica Alba) works hard just so she can dance - whether it's coaching local kids at hip-hop or bartending in a nightclub so she can dance for free after her shift. Her aim is to break into MTV-style dance videos.

(plot spoilers - this para only - short synopsis)
When she eventually gets the break, she not only dances but starts producing fabulous choreography for Missy Elliott style numbers for television. The big boss drunkenly tries to get her to sleep with him - and chucks her out when she refuses. She wants to found a dance school for the kids in the Bronx but with her wages cut she has to perform a benefit dance show to raise the cash. The video producer begs her to go back when the recording artists start demanding her but she sticks to her principles. The benefit fund-raiser dance is success, her parents are proud of her, former competitors and worried friends all bond with her, and the kids on the block get their dance school which keeps them off the street life of petty crime.

Admittedly if you don't like hip-hop / streetdance / breakdance the film may do nothing for you. If you do, but only dance partner dance, you may feel inspired or even take some of the movements, and practice them to add to your current dance moves. There's plenty of funky moves and some cool choreography.

The lead character's humanitarian spirit also brings out one of the highest aims of dancing - to make the world a better place in some small way. I'm reminded of Franck's dream to 'get everyone in Scotland dancing', of Chalky Whyte's work with schoolkids, of Sarah and Graham LeClerc's community work. Dance should not be divisive - it might be the highest aspiration of the free spirit to communicate joy and bring others together using a language beyond words, beyond social class, age, gender or other things that divide people. Looking at it like this, for those who choose to do so, it gives some meaning to our 'obsession' with dance.

I notice hip-hop is being increasingly taught in Edinburgh – not an easy dance but fabulous for adding those split timing add-ons. It’s also often taught as a work out (check out ads for ‘streetdance’). Timing is tight – fashion is motion – movement is meaning – communication is flow – sex is attitude – feel the rush –

Or just go and see Honey . . . (I’ll be off for a second viewing next week probably!)

Chris
18th-March-2004, 03:26 AM
New releases: Zatoichi 9/10

Zatoichi is the blind wanderer with a shock of blonde hair, a cane that transforms into a sword, and a legendary mastery of samurai warrior technique.

As a film, Zatoichi is distinctly oddball. It combines awesome and mesmerising martial arts, zany humour, varying types of beautifully performed Japanese dance, rhythms from everyday sounds, violent buffoonery, cross-dressing, beautifully depicted classical Japanese culture, wonderful cinematography and artery-popping gore.

If you are not too squeamish. Zatoichi is an unmissable feast. It's also subtitled, but as it's a very visual movie the minimal dialogue won't be a problem for you even if you tend to avoid anything other than English dialogue movies.

Zatoichi earns his living as a masseur and by a spot of gambling. Posing as a shuffling old man, it comes as a neat surprise (within the first few minutes and repeatedly throughout the movie) that he is a swordsman without parallel. He generally rights wrongs where he finds badness - and, as there is no shortage of badness, there is no shortage of baddies inventively split open in the delicate twinkling of an eye. We also encounter a cross-dressing orphan posing as a geisha, a mad neighbour posing as a samurai, and a plot-thickening bodyguard fighting to save his wife. They are woven into what is little short of a modern masterpiece of Japanese cinema from the diverse and accomplished Takeshi Kitano (whose artistic career includes directing films like Battle Royale, acting in films as varied as Johnny Mnemonic and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, writing novels, winning major awards and being a cult figure of Japanese television.)

Chris
20th-March-2004, 03:53 AM
Dawn of the Dead - The Missing - Mona Lisa

The Missing 8/10

A more substantial movie than can usually be expected from the traditional Western format, The Missing features Cate Blanchet trying to raise two daughters on a small ranch in the dramatic and desolate landscape of New Mexico. Her estranged father (Tommy Lee Jones), half-adopted by Indians, comes to her aid after one of the daughters is captured by bandits. Reclaiming them before they are sold across the border into Mexico involves grappling not only with the desert wilderness but also the forces of primitive magic.

Believably told and superbly acted, The Missing reaches beyond the plot itself to give us a moving and challenging piece if cinema. The title could also allude to the 'missing part' in each of us, whether the portion of the soul Tommy Lee Jones needs to become fully Indian, or the missing element of forgiveness to achieve reconciliation. Although it's very well done, the film does occasionally lack sufficient excitement - especially at 2 hours 20 minutes.

Mona Lisa

Panned by many critics, Mona Lisa is an enjoyable piece of fluff if you're not expecting anything more. Julia Roberts becomes an art history teacher at a top American girls school in the early 50s and attempts to awaken in the a-class students both a passion for her subject and the desire to be more than just wives and mothers. It's not overly serious - and why shouldn't a bit of lightweight cinema have something other than girl-meets-boy as its heartstring piece? Along the way we are led into some interesting enough questions about art (again, nothing too deep) and some delightful music and dancing from the 50s.

Dawn of the Dead 5/10

Standard horror fare than transmutes Night of the Living Dead into a kind of big budget 28 Days Later as the zombies head for the mall with shopping the last thing on their minds. There are a reasonable amount of shocks, most of them in the first few minutes before the credits have finished, and then repeated in formulaic fashion with predictable regularity. Needless to say, if you have to pop out for more popcorn, you won't miss much you couldn't guess.

Chris
21st-March-2004, 04:12 AM
New and current releases - Mainstream: Open Range, Grand Theft Parsons; - Cult: Cremaster Cycle (on tour)

Open Range 8/10
A traditional, well-made western - suitable for most ages, features good guys herdin' cattle, bad guys tryin' to steal the cattle, codes of honour, a corrupt sheriff, a fantastic shoot-out, and Annette Bening being lovely in the wings. Open Range doesn't do anything particularly new, it just does it particularly well. For actor/director/producer Kevin Costner, it seems to have been a labour of love and one that has paid off handsomely. The characters are well fleshed out, it has plenty to appeal to adults (men and women) rather than being just a boys-with-guns film. The qualities of the main heroes are likeable - they value the trust, respect and confidence that is given them and realise the value of these things. Open Range is no high and mighty moraliser however; there are plenty true-to-genre one-liners, such as "You're nothing!" (grim-faced, cornered bad guy) - "Maybe so," (good guy pointing a gun at him), "but I'll still be breathing in another minute!" Towards the end of the film they also battle with their own inner demons. What starts out with all the flavour of a Boys' Own adventure (complete with cutesy dog) turns out to be a well-rounded minor classic. Long live the Western!

Grand Theft Parsons 5/10
Fairly lame low-budget comedy. Features a dead country rock singer with various people chasing his corpse - a roadie who wants to cremate him in the desert, a dad who wants to take him back home, and an ex-wife who needs his body to prove he's dead and get her hands on his money a.s.a.p. 'Based on a true story' (lol!). Probably funny enough in a very laid back hippie sort of way - it's almost a hippie road movie - at least the only two other people in the cinema at the same time as me seemed to think so and laughed loudly and constantly. I guess a couple of joints first might have improved my appreciation of the comedy factor.

The Cremaster Cycle 9/10
The Cremaster Cycle is a series of five films shot over eight years. Although they can be seen individually, the best experience is seeing them all together (like Wagner's Ring Cycle) - and also researching as much as you can beforehand. To give you an idea of the magnitude, it has been suggested that their fulfilment confirms creator Matthew Barney as the most important American artist of his generation (New York Times Magazine).

The Cremaster films are works of art in the sense that the critical faculties you use whilst watching them are ones you might more normally use in, say, the Tate Modern, than in an art house cinema. They are entirely made up of symbols, have only the slimmest of linear plots, and experiencing them leaves you with a sense of awe, of more questions and inspirations than closed-book answers. The imagery is at once grotesque, beautiful, challenging, puzzling and stupendous. Any review can only hope to touch on the significance of such an event, but a few clues might be of interest, so for what it's worth ...

Starting with the title. The 'Cremaster' is a muscle that acts to retract the testes. This keeps the testes warm and protected from injury. (If you keep this in mind as you view the piece it will be easier to find other clues and make sense of the myriad allusions to anatomical development, sexual differentiation, and the period of embryonic sexual development - including the period when the outcome is still unknown. The films, which can be viewed in any order (though chronologically is probably better than numerically) range from Cremaster 1 (most 'ascended' or undifferentiated state) to Cremaster 5 (most 'descended'). The official Cremaster website contains helpful synopses.)

Cremaster 4 is closest to the biological model and so sets the scene, suggesting the system's onward rush. There is a motorcycle race and a Candidate who is tap-dancing his way through the floor (weird? yes - but it is definitely art, not weird for weird's sake!)

Cremaster 1 features four air hostesses in each of two identical cabins, centrepieces sculpted from vaseline on respectively green and red grapes. An androgynous looking woman beneath each works a hole in the tablecloth and plucks grapes which direct choreographed patterns of dancing chorus girls. This seems to suggest the splitting and multiplying cells of a still androgynous gonadal system.

Cremaster 5 has a Tudor feel to it. It comprises mostly a tragic opera set in Budapest. I found it the most obscure of the whole cycle and could have done with subtitles at least to capture the meaning of the opera. Complex symbols involving Houdini further complicate the work.

Cremaster 2 is told as a gothic western and corresponds to that phase of fetal development when sexual division begins. It features such different images as a classic car in a service station, Bronco-busting cowboys, swarms of bees, a Texan two-step and music ranging from a capella singing to a heavy rock band. Houdini reappears (played by Norman Mailer) and is asked a question about metamorphosis - rather than maintain a position within the 'beehive', does he truly metamorphose and become one with the cage?

Cremaster 3 is the longest (3hrs) and most complex of the Cycle. It charts the construction of the Chrysler Building and looks at the forces of spiritual transcendence (which can in itself be taken as a metaphor). It quotes Lombardi: "Character is an integration of habits of conduct superimposed on temperament ... Character is will exercised on disposition, thought, emotion and action." We have a mythological prologue, then an Apprentice who scales the Chrysler Building by means of one of the lift shafts and takes part in a Masonic ritual. Before winning his Masonic instruments he must become the master of lust and his own ego. This penultimate stage is set in a section called 'The Order' comprising Five Degrees of Initiation.

The Guggenheim Museum (which houses a parallel exhibition) describes the Cremaster Cycle as "a self-enclosed aesthetic system consisting of five feature-length films that explore processes of creation." As film, the Cremaster Cycle is one to experience in the cinema if you have the opportunity to do so, or to experience and re-experience at leisure on DVD (the boxed set is promised for late 2004 and will be a gem for lovers of art-cinema fusion).

Jive Brummie
26th-March-2004, 11:20 AM
Without giving a long, boring, in-depth critique of a film I went to see last night...........all I will say is this:

'Along Came Polly'.....Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller.....worth watching.

...........I think that covers everything:wink:

James............:cheers:

Pammy
26th-March-2004, 11:21 AM
I really enjoyed Starsky & Hutch - very funny :grin:

Bill
26th-March-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
I really enjoyed Starsky & Hutch - very funny :grin:

It was fun..........Fran smiled a lot :D although at times almost went too far in parody but thought Snoop Dog was great as Huggy Bear. Brought me back and the fashions were spot on :rolleyes:

Bill
26th-March-2004, 11:36 AM

Understand the reason for the statement but would suggest it's vitally important for men to take a stand on issues such as feminism in the same way as whites should feel they can take a stand against and discuss racism or able bodied people can discuss disabilities.............IMHO.

Boomer
26th-March-2004, 01:17 PM
I will say that starsky and hutch surpassed all of my expectations. As an esay going romp, it does exactly what it need to...enjoyed it so much I wanted to see iy again. The first time Ben Stiller has made me laugh - if you want to see 'Do it!'

Haven't seen it yet, but want to see 'Zatoichi', tap-dancing blade-masters :what: Just has to be seen!

Pammy
26th-March-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
'Do it!'

The best bit was when Starsky said to Hutch (about his campervan thingy) "Your van come apartment!" :rofl: I loved that bit :grin:

Bill
26th-March-2004, 04:02 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but want to see 'Zatoichi', tap-dancing blade-masters :what: Just has to be seen!

Certainly on my 'to see' list. Have a friend here who is very into oriental films ( and oriental men as well!!!!!!!!!!!) :wink: :D

Chris
26th-March-2004, 08:09 PM
I will say that starsky and hutch surpassed all of my expectations.

So many people have said good things about it I am persuaded to drag myself along to see it - the trailer nauseated me - but trailers sometimes do :sick:

Do! It is a real treat imho! I hope it surpasses your expectations. :D

Boomer
27th-March-2004, 03:19 AM
So many people have said good things about it I am persuaded to drag myself along to see it - the trailer nauseated me - but trailers sometimes do :sick:

Nope, this is a 'good' film - won't shake you to your core but will compliment one's popcorn :grin: Haven't seen the trailer for S&H, probably a good thing too - all too often it seems that the trailer is a montage of the only decents parts of the film.

Jive Brummie
27th-March-2004, 08:16 PM

I'm sure the global, multi-national film procuction company responsible for Starsky & Hutch will sleep well tonight in the knowledge that you've persuaded yourself to go and see their film despite your bout of nausea..........phew:whistle:

Bill
28th-March-2004, 01:21 AM
I'm sure the global, multi-national film procuction company responsible for Starsky & Hutch will sleep well tonight in the knowledge that you've persuaded yourself to go and see their film despite your bout of nausea..........phew:whistle:

:rofl: :clap: ......maybe we can all go see it in Bristol :D :rofl:

Chris
28th-March-2004, 06:40 PM
ZOMBIE MOVIES - DAWN OF THE DEAD and PASSION OF CHRIST

This review was so funny I thought I'd post it, even tho I haven't seen Passion of Christ yet.

Neill Cumpston Reviews Two Zombie Movies!!
DAWN OF THE DEAD and PASSION OF THE CHRIST!!
I just got back from seeing the new zombie movie at midnight at the Arclight in Hollywood. I got there way early, like three hours, and I had nothing to do, and I was getting drunk with my friends at this bar in the lobby. The Arclight looks like MINORITY REPORT and there’s a bar where you can drink which other theaters should have if you have to see a movie with Julia Roberts or Ben Affleck or Freddie Prinze or Steve Martin. Actually, there should be a lot of actors where if they’re in a movie you get a can of beer automatic. Also certain plots, like if there’s a gay friend or a lady ghost.
So we still have all this time, and my one friend says, “We should see the Jesus movie. I hear it’s non-stop ass-kicking.” And I like the sound of that, and I thought for a second that maybe this was another Jesus movie by the TAXI DRIVER guy, only now he’s put guns and bullets going into heads instead of crying and that PLATOON guy’s dick-hose.
I’ll make the Jesus review quick – it f*cking rules. It made me yell, “Jesus Christ on a cross!” even the scenes that didn’t have Jesus Christ on a cross. This one’s directed by Mel Gibson and he obviously learned some **** from LETHAL WEAPON 2 because he gets right to the action. There’s a shot of the moon and then right away there’s gladiator dudes beating the crap out of a bunch of hippies. Jesus is this guy with a super-powered left hand – it’s like he can give people Wolverine powers by touching them with his left hand. He makes a guy’s ear grow back but before you know it the gladiator dudes arrest him and beat the be-jeezus out of Jesus for two straight hours. Then they nail him to a cross, and he dies, but not after bleeding enough blood to fill up everyone in CADDYSHACK plus that fat vampire dude in the first BLADE movie. Everyone’s f*cked at Jesus. They all want him dead. But this is back in Bible times, when they didn’t have shotguns and chainsaws, and back then when you want to kill a superhero you have to rain two hours of whomp-ass on him and then nail him to something, sort of like a message to other superheroes. And they must have gotten the message, because there weren’t any more superheroes until Superman.
This is a great movie to take a chick to ‘cuz it’s super-violent but you can sit there like, hey, this doesn’t effect me, and she’ll think you’re a total bad-ass. Then here comes the blowjob. Thank you, Jesus.
The only thing wrong with the movie is why didn’t anyone cut off his super-powered left hand, and then use it on other people? Like, you could have a bad guy like in ENTER THE DRAGON, where he puts on different hands – claw hand, flamethrower hand, etc. And one of the hands could be the Jesus hand, and you could heal all your henchmen, or maybe touch yourself while you’re kung-fuing someone, so no matter what they do, you can heal.
Also, I like the Satan chick walking around with the baby that has the “Black Hole Sun” face.
The last shot of The Passion of the “Christ” is of Jesus getting up from the dead and walking out of his grave. This is the perfect movie to see right before DAWNING OF THE DEAD because it’s like Jesus was the original zombie (O.Z. – only super good-looking and not smelly), so when DAWNING opens it’s like it’s a sequel. Now it’s thousands of years later and the being-a-zombie thing that Jesus started has caught on. In fact, Jesus in the first movie is always telling his buddies to eat his skin and drink his blood. So now it’s today, and the zombie followers are taking that idea really f*cking seriously.
DAWNING OF THE DEAD rules as hard as THE PASSION, but it so pusses out on the violence. THE PASSION is like, “Hold on, ‘cuz I’m going to…” and you’re waiting for it to say, “Punch you in the balls” but it goes ahead and kicks you in the head and then throws a wrench at your ass until you ****. Still, DAWNING doesn’t have the holy-motion John Woo scenes that the PASSION does, so I guess they balance out.
The first ten minutes of DAWNING are big-ass apocalypse, and then credits, and then right back to the apocalypse. A bunch of people who don’t get the zombie-bite hide in a shopping mall but here come the zombies so it’s shooting and punching and explosions. They don’t show zombies sitting down and just eating people, which sucks, but there’s a great scene with a zombie baby. If you’re trying to convince your dumb-ass girlfriend not to have a baby, this is the movie to take her to. In fact, both PASSION and DAWNING have f*cked-up babies, so keep these in mind if you want to win a baby argument.
DAWNING is also a remake of a 70’s film, also about zombies. They do a great job of updating it because this movie is set today, rather than the 70’s. There’s also a cool scene where people on the roof of the shopping mall shoot zombies they think look like celebrities. I think this all the time when I see real celebrities, so it was good for a movie to back me up.
F*ck, I don’t know what else to tell you. PASSION and DAWNING is the greatest double-feature ever, but leave enough time in between for that thank-you Jesus blowjob. Eight stars (four for each), and here’s an idea for the third movie in the trilogy: Zombie Jesus vs. Freddy vs. Jason vs. That Slinky-Spine Girl from Pet Semetary.
Neill Cumpston

Pammy
29th-March-2004, 10:02 AM
Incidentally, did anyone notice that in Starsky & Hutch, Steevie 2 Shoes is in the dance off, judged by Andy McGregor :what:

Bill
29th-March-2004, 10:42 AM
Incidentally, did anyone notice that in Starsky & Hutch, Steevie 2 Shoes is in the dance off, judged by Andy McGregor :what:

:rofl: :D

Chris
30th-March-2004, 02:20 AM
Monster 8/10
(preview screenings this week - general release on Friday)
A gripping, gruelling, story of a highway prostitute who becomes a serial killer and one of the most powerful films of the year. I'm still trying to digest it enough to put together my thoughts on it and look forward to hearing views of friends and other serious film goers. The performance by the heavily transformed (normally gorgeous) Charlize Theron into the rather scary overweight Aileen is an all-time great. Christina Ricci also adds notches to her promising career, this time as a convincing teenage lesbian, enthralled by the older woman, and deeply in love before she realises she's run off with a mentally unbalanced murderer. Theron's character is based on a true life story (the subject of a separate film documentary) - perhaps the emotional power lies in the sympathy the audience feels for her for quite a long time - a sort of, "if only something good could happen once in her miserable life, just one ray of light, surely she deserves a chance . . .". Be warned, it contains very disturbing scenes, including extreme sexual violence. It's a pretty depressing tale, convincingly seen from the point of view of someone who's life has little or no hope.

Under the Tuscan Sun 6/10
Leisurely, romantic and nicely written 'finding a new life' story of a writer emerging from a seriously bad divorce and, on impulse, buying a house in Tuscany. Unlike Monster this will hardly keep you glued to the screen if you feel your attention wandering, but it has some lovely one-liners and may appeal to the nomadic and literary nature within you (if you have one). Frances (Diane Lane) starts a new life and is engagingly wooed by several Italian Lotharios. It isn't cheesy, but it isn't particularly deep either. I would love to retire to Tuscany, amidst the vinyards and olive groves, fireflies at night and the smell of summer between the sudden downpours - I just can't imagine Diane Lane there.

Passion of Christ 5/10
Whether you believe in the Jesus Christ of the New Testament or not, Passion of the Christ leaves much to be desired. It is based not so much on the Gospels but on the visionary writings of one Anne Catherine Emmerich, a 19th centuray stigmatic and mystic, with added flourishes by director Mel Gibson. Non-catholic Christians have described it as almost an advert for Roman Catholicism. I watched it with a Catholic, who pointed out numerous discrepancies from Roman Catholic teaching. Historical inaccuracies appear rife. The over-riding impression is one of unmitigated violence, torture and gore, as we follow the central character's flogging and crucifixion. If it was purported to be fiction, we might simply say it was gratuitously violent (as well as pretentiously subtitled); as a work of art, an interpretation of faith (rather than a statement of the faith itself) it is simply lacking - in style and acting (both of which are often overly theatrical) and impact (though it may have much more impact for the religiously devout rather than the scholarly devout). In terms of social responsibility, this sort of violence seems not only likely to incite revenge hatred but unjustifiable moral highground for religious fanaticism. On the plus side, it is so vomit-inducingly accomplished that it might, just might, arouse serious debate about the influence and bases of the Roman Catholic Church.

Dreadful Scathe
30th-March-2004, 07:35 AM
Why has no one mentined Shaun of the Dead ? Got brilliant reviews.. sounds like a lot more fun than Dawn of the Dead :) Im off to see it as soon as i can :)

Pammy
30th-March-2004, 09:15 AM
Seen a clip for a really scarey looking film about a girl who's been dead for years (can't remember what it's called) but she's sort of a corpse shuffling in the background, one of those on the
"edge of the seat" movies. I hope someone brave takes me to see it as I'm a bit of a jumper (chair not bed :wink: )

Boomer
30th-March-2004, 09:23 AM
Seen a clip for a really scarey looking film about a girl who's been dead for years (can't remember what it's called) but she's sort of a corpse shuffling in the background, ...

Swap 'She' for 'he' and you've got me, on the dancefloor :tears:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-March-2004, 10:29 AM
Swap 'She' for 'he' and you've got me, on the dancefloor :tears:

he ? he he he, i find that funny :)

Chris
1st-April-2004, 11:41 AM
For those not at the coming Cambers, Edinburgh's own horror film festival is due shortly. I usually manage to drag a cerocer or two along to at least some of it (in a bag tied with a length of rope) so if anyone is willingly enthusiastic you could always let me know.

Dead by Dawn (http://www.deadbydawn.co.uk/)

There's an add-on of a special Goth Music night this year, as well as the usual line up of horror premiers, classics, uncertified and all-nighter. Don't forget your black teeth.

Chris
1st-April-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Why has no one mentined Shaun of the Dead ? Got brilliant reviews.. sounds like a lot more fun than Dawn of the Dead :) Im off to see it as soon as i can :)

Possibly cos it's not released till 9th April.

Looks a lot more fun than Dawn of the Dead. Funky website (http://uip.co.uk/romzom/) even has an interactive pub - bit like the Ceroc Forum really :devil:

"It's okay folks, we're safe. I scared them away with my nudity."
- Glass-Bottom Boat Captain in Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Stuart
4th-April-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't know if anybody has seen this, but George Lucas has revealed some details of the forthcoming Star Wars film (due Summer 2005) on the official Star Wars website www.starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com)

There is speculation that the film will be called "Star Wars III - The Creaping Fear" and the details released are as follows:

"After 3 long years of relentless fighting, the Clone Wars are nearly at an end. The Jedi Council dispatches Obi-Wan Kenobi to bring the deadly leader of the separtist droid army to justice.

Meanwhile, back on Courescent, Chancellor Palpatine has grown in power. His sweeping political changes transform the war-weary Republic into the mighty Galactic Empire.

To his closest ally, Anakin Skywalker, he reveals the true nature of power and the promised secret of the force in an attempt to lure him to the dark side".

Stuart M
11th-April-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Saw it on Friday and enjoyed it. "You've got red on you" is destined for cult catch-phrase status.

Fans of Spaced will know what to expect.

Jive Brummie
12th-April-2004, 10:58 PM
Watched Jeepers Creepers 'twa and Underworld at the weekend on DVD.

Jeepers Creepers...not bad, bit scary, ugly creature type thingy that never dies, typical daft-head American teenagers sticking their heads through holes only for them to be lopped off!!!

Underworld...'attractive female' in pvc catsuit, is actually a vampire in a war against Werewolves!!!!.....based on a true story apparently:wink:

Both pretty entertaining if you like films you don't have to concentrate on, while eating pizza and drinking a few lagers.....

James........x

...anyone seen Shaun Of The Dead yet??

Tiggerbabe
12th-April-2004, 11:18 PM

...anyone seen Shaun Of The Dead yet??
Yeah, Stuart has - see above your post :wink:

Jive Brummie
13th-April-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Yeah, Stuart has - see above your post :wink:

D'OH.........:blush:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-April-2004, 03:20 PM
Shaun of the Dead ...

brilliant Hilarious but still gruesome in bits. Very well written indeed. Its a classic, nothing 'cult' about it at all and far better than 'Dawn of the Dead' from what ive heard/read.

Go see it NOW.

'he's got an arm off'

...aaagh those ineffective but hilarious pool cues :rofl:

Pammy
14th-April-2004, 04:59 PM
I went to see Gothica. Made me jump in a few places, but the usual - you know who's done it within the first five minutes of the film...

Dance Demon
14th-April-2004, 09:59 PM
Couple of interesting movies just released in the Staes in the last couple of weeks...
Hellboy....looks good with good special effects

The Alamo.....remake of the old John wayne classic.... comes out in USA on 16th of this month

And one that looks to be really funny with Billy Bob Thornton called Bad Santa....

didn't manage to see any of them, but trailers on the TV looked good:waycool:

Chicklet
28th-May-2004, 11:19 AM
Anyone seen / heard of a new movie called "the Company" (I think) supposedly set in and around a dance school??

and, FAR more importantly, I read a while back that Havana Nights is coming out on 1st June but cannot find it mentioned on Odeon, USI etc as coming attractions:confused: :eek: :confused: anyone heard any update to this??

ta
C:D

David Franklin
28th-May-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Anyone seen / heard of a new movie called "the Company" (I think) supposedly set in and around a dance school??Saw it last week and really enjoyed it. The film style is somewhat "fly on the wall" rather than plot driven, but it was still extremely involving. There were some beautiful dance scenes. :yum:

and, FAR more importantly, I read a while back that Havana Nights is coming out on 1st June but cannot find it mentioned on Odeon, USI etc as coming attractions:confused: :eek: :confused: anyone heard any update to this??The last dates I saw said it should be out this weekend; the fact that it doesn't seem to be, and that the reviews in the US have been, um, lackluster, makes me suspect they've postponed it rather than have it compete against HP3 etc... At this rate it will probably end up as a straight-to-video... :tears:

Dave

Forte
4th-June-2004, 01:40 PM
Films wot I av seen in the last two weeks are:
Troy... good biceps from Eric Bana and Brad Pitt . Excellent fight sequence between these two as Hector and Achilles but pretty ordinary elsewhere...
Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban ...enjoyed it... think its great that they are so loyal to the book (they had to cut loads out I accept that) and I think it is really cute watching the original cast grow up. More Ron Weasley comedy please. Emma Thomson is a brilliant Madame Trelawny.. head of divination and Dawn French is a very funny "fat lady in a picture". The casting director must have a blast...
Van Helsing...can't write... too busy swooning over Hugh Jackman ...oh my god he is almost as good looking as Van Helsing as he is as Wolverine in the X Men movies (almost but not quite...)

Dreadful Scathe
4th-June-2004, 03:13 PM
Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban ...enjoyed it... think its great that they are so loyal to the book (they had to cut loads out I accept that) and I think it is really cute watching the original cast grow up. More Ron Weasley comedy please. Emma Thomson is a brilliant Madame Trelawny.. head of divination and Dawn French is a very funny "fat lady in a picture". The casting director must have a blast...

Very Poor I thought. Preferred first 2 films and this one doesnt stick very closely to the book at all - its probably the best book shes written too which is a shame. Too many inconsistences i.e. Lupin not explaining how he knew how to use the Marauders Map (he created it with the others) but on the other hand Harry overexplaining 'oh it wasnt my dead dad casting the patronus spell, it was me...duh!). sigh! Also the stupid situation in the Shreiking shack where Harry thought they were threatening him but were too stupid too realise - handled much better in the book. Was I the only one to also think that it more a film of 'bit parts' - it didnt seem to have any substantial characterisation. Dont get me started on the fact that the whomping willow has ben moved to outside the school and that hagrids house now seems to be in another country :)

Stuart
5th-June-2004, 09:46 PM
I've just been to see "The Day After Tomorrow" . Its your usual Hollywood disaster film. The special effects were very good, as is usually the case in Roland Emmerich's films, even if some of the science behind the film was a bit dodgy (see Hollywood's Global Warning (http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1215363,00.html) ). The human story was a bit predictable though.

Lounge Lizard
7th-June-2004, 10:22 AM
Very Poor I thought. Preferred first 2 films and this one doesnt stick very closely to the book at all - its probably the best book shes written too which is a shame. Too many inconsistences i.e. Lupin not explaining how he knew how to use the Marauders Map (he created it with the others) but on the other hand Harry overexplaining 'oh it wasnt my dead dad casting the patronus spell, it was me...duh!). sigh! Also the stupid situation in the Shreiking shack where Harry thought they were threatening him but were too stupid too realise - handled much better in the book. Was I the only one to also think that it more a film of 'bit parts' - it didnt seem to have any substantial characterisation. Dont get me started on the fact that the whomping willow has ben moved to outside the school and that hagrids house now seems to be in another country :)
I agree a very poor effort - reminded me of a childrens TV programme with amazing effects
So many bits missed out - I did like the new layout of willow and cottage but it needs a visual link to school.

They did not explain why everyone thought Sirus was after Harry (His 'it's him' comment in prison) - when they are in the school robes etc the magic thing works but this one was very poor bring back the original director
Think I will re-read the book to erase far far better than the film
LL

Emma
7th-June-2004, 10:57 AM
Ooh Err

I really liked it, but then I am one of those people who instantly forgets all detail from book (a bit like I instantly forget all moves from a class) - so the missing chunks and lack of explanations didn't bother me. I thought it was visually beautiful, and far less americanised than before (though I found the weather somewhat fantastical).

It did make me want to read the book again though as I was aware there were large lumps missing (just couldn't remember what they were!)

Lounge Lizard
7th-June-2004, 01:46 PM
great special effects
but what a bad film
1, so many director blunders it was laughable...-100%c helicopter freezes in mid air, yet pilot is still snug and cosy inside metal cabin :really:
2, City full of frozen bodies yet wolves are starving and chase hero's
3, sub zero tempratures outside but shirtsleeves inside tent!!!
4 I have never driven in New York but I thing a bloody great tanker pulling up outside the main library is unlikley unless it can bend around corners.

not sure it is worth watching DVD of this one let alone going to cinema
LL

Gadget
7th-June-2004, 02:23 PM
Very Poor I thought. Preferred first 2 films and this one doesnt stick very closely to the book at all - its probably the best book shes written too which is a shame. Too many inconsistences i.e. Lupin not explaining how he knew how to use the Marauders Map (he created it with the others) but on the other hand Harry overexplaining 'oh it wasnt my dead dad casting the patronus spell, it was me...duh!). sigh! Also the stupid situation in the Shreiking shack where Harry thought they were threatening him but were too stupid too realise - handled much better in the book. Was I the only one to also think that it more a film of 'bit parts' - it didnt seem to have any substantial characterisation. Dont get me started on the fact that the whomping willow has ben moved to outside the school and that hagrids house now seems to be in another country :):yeah: Those were the exact same comments I made when coming out of the cinema {almost word for word :what:}. If you hadn't read the book, then it would have appeared very jumpy with no consistant plot (or charicter) development. Admitedly there were some very picturesque moments and the charicters did seem more "grown up" than before - poss a bit too much over-acting tho.
I know no-one can replace the origional Dumbledore - he was spot on, but I didn't like the new actor's portrayal at all: Unkept, and an accent. Delevery of the lines was fairly poor as well.
Strange the stuff they cut and the stuff they kept in: The night-bus could have been trimmed drastically. Although I did like the womping willow's treatment of the morning chorus, it didn't need to be repeated. Harry's ride on Bucktooth could have been cut drastically. And a few other places that would allow for a more development.

If you want to wait, I don't think it will loose much on the small screen.

Dreadful Scathe
7th-June-2004, 03:11 PM
..or wait until the dvd directors cut with the missing 60 minutes that should have been in it :)

Forgot to mention - Malfoy - good evil character in the book and first 2 films - his biggest moment in this film was him being punched by Hermione and running away snivelling ..not really like the book at all...

but the question is .. can you overanalyse a childrens film :D

I was aware there were large lumps missing (just couldn't remember what they were!)
Dreadful Scathe casts patronising spell at Emma

The entire moon landing sequence and polar bear vs penguin fights were completely removed!!!

Emma
7th-June-2004, 03:22 PM
Dreadful Scathe casts patronising spell at EmmaExpelliarmus!!

The entire moon landing sequence and polar bear vs penguin fights were completely removed!!!
D'oh - how could I forget! :flower:

Lou
7th-June-2004, 04:14 PM
FWIW... I prefered POA to the previous 2 Hary Potter movies. I felt that the pace was far better, and I liked the "darker" feel. The Knight Bus sequence was particularly enjoyable, but I thought that the Hippogriff ride was a bit too lond and drawn out.

I actually thought that most of the changes to the story really helped the plot along. The only bit I really thought the story missed was the explanation of the Wormtail, Moony, Padfoot & Prongs nicknames & relationship. That, and there wasn't enough quidditch!

Gadget
7th-June-2004, 04:38 PM
but the question is .. can you overanalyse a childrens film :Dit was a children's film.... ahhh, that might explain all those house-elves.;)

Lory
7th-June-2004, 09:47 PM
I've just watched one of the best dance films I've ever seen! You got Served It's not to everyone's taste, the music being Hip Hop but ANYONE who appreciates choreography, timing and sheer athleticism could not fail to love it! I watched it with my family and the kids had a couple of friends round too, we were all screaming at some of the moves, laughing and shaking our heads in total amazement! One move involved a boy spinning on his head, with no hands, for at least 30seconds then coming to a sudden abrupt stop (still on his head) and NO WOBBLE! :worthy:

The story line isn't much and to be honest I needed some of the script translated into 'old folks' language by my kids and when the film ended I felt extremely old and unfit but apart from that :sick: , I'd highly recommend it! :cheers:

Yo Dog! dig it! I've got to bounce now! (coughs, that means I've got to go! :whistle: )

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2004, 10:32 PM
One move involved a boy spinning on his head, with no hands, for at least 30seconds then coming to a sudden abrupt stop (still on his head) and NO WOBBLE! :worthy:

Didn't Adam do that in the Ceroc Metro Cabaret, whilst throwing Jive Masters Videos to the amazed audience, chewing gum and winking at the judges? :wink: :waycool:

Dance Demon
31st-October-2004, 12:43 PM
And one that looks to be really funny with Billy Bob Thornton called Bad Santa....

Bad Santa comes out in the UK next week........Saw the trailers and it looks really funny, and worth a look :)

Jive Brummie
1st-July-2005, 06:30 PM
Thought I'd resurect this one as I need advice.....

War Of The Worlds

or

Batman Begins?

Ta,

J x

David Bailey
1st-July-2005, 09:40 PM
War Of The Worlds
Dunno, but looks OK-ish. 2h 4m tho...

Batman Begins?
Was good - based on "Batman: Year One" really. Intelligent, has a storyline - by Batman standards, almost a chick flick!

But no summer blockbuster film is IMO going to hold a candle to Sin City - the best film I've seen this year. Although, Fantastic 4, who knows...

Clive Long
14th-December-2005, 12:29 PM
The Constant Gardener

Starring Ralph (Raiph) Fiennes, Rachel Weisz

CRL Rating 8.5 / 10

Stuff: Usual key subjects:love, betrayal, murder, government duplicity, etc.

This is a thriller, a love story, and a polemic all rolled into one.

You see the beauty and the awfulness of Africa. You also see the impact and contempt of the behaviour of the developed world. OK, it is a story, but one I think is probably well researched and based on some real characters.

I felt the film was let down by a pivotal scene, where a lot of information and justification is divulged by one character who has no motivation to reveal it - but the revelation is needed to move the plot along. Also I got a bit lost at one point - but that probably reflected the situation for the Ralph Fiennes character. Also there is another part of the story where Ralph Fiennes makes a long journey starting on EuroStar - where I just accepted rather than questioned.

It's now probably on DVD in the UK.

Recommended.

Clive

Stuart
14th-December-2005, 05:58 PM
The Constant Gardener

Starring Ralph (Raiph) Fiennes, Rachel Weisz

CRL Rating 8.5 / 10

Stuff: Usual key subjects:love, betrayal, murder, government duplicity, etc.

This is a thriller, a love story, and a polemic all rolled into one.

You see the beauty and the awfulness of Africa. You also see the impact and contempt of the behaviour of the developed world. OK, it is a story, but one I think is probably well researched and based on some real characters.

I felt the film was let down by a pivotal scene, where a lot of information and justification is divulged by one character who has no motivation to reveal it - but the revelation is needed to move the plot along. Also I got a bit lost at one point - but that probably reflected the situation for the Ralph Fiennes character. Also there is another part of the story where Ralph Fiennes makes a long journey starting on EuroStar - where I just accepted rather than questioned.

It's now probably on DVD in the UK.

Recommended.

Clive

I'd agree with most of this. I've read most of John Le Carre's books and this is one of the best film adaptations. Are you refering to the scene in the Church at the end? because that bit isn't in the book.

LMC
19th-December-2005, 06:34 PM
King Kong looks like it might be good fun, but over 3 hours :S - I'll let someone else bravely take the risk and post on here about how good it was so I HAVE to go and see it... is that OK?

In the meantime...

HP & TGOF - my first ever outing to the cinema all by myself (sad I know). Considering that the books are getting "flabbier and flabbier" I thought that they did a good job of getting to the point in this film. But for all there is a lot of teenage angst in the books there is humour as well - and I felt that much of the humour was missing from the film. Shame, but it was well worth seeing and the ending was nicely handled without excessive sentiment.

Lion, Witch & Wardrobe - LOTR for kiddies: - superb NZ scenery makes this one definitely one to see on the big screen. A "nice" film, no surprises. IMO, the kids are all way better actors than the HP mob, although there were some pass the bucket moments and the melodrama was occasionally laid on a bit too much thicker than in the book. Good CGI - does anyone remember the BBC series where Aslan was positively arthritic? - none of that here. I always envisaged the White Witch as dark-haired, but Tilda Swinton was fantastic. IMO, Prince Caspian is the logical "next one" to make (before the kids get too old) - and I hope they do!

Clive Long
20th-December-2005, 04:56 PM
Must Love Dogs

Genre: Chick-Flick

A nice and gentle will-they-won't-they-get-it-together romcom. My main gripe was "character-wise" John Cusack was too young for Diane Lane. Not that Diane is "too old" - she is sexy as anything. Her comedy played well off her character's insecurity about her attractiveness. John Cusack (whom I like as an actor) just re-hashed his "intense boyfriend" schtick from High Fidelity.

Support solid, funny and touching from Christopher Plummer and Stockard Channing.

6.5 /10 Friday-night-feelgood or cuddle-up-on-the-sofa-with-your-Horlicks-and-your-heartache DVD material.

Clive Long
20th-December-2005, 05:25 PM
Brothers Grimm

Genre: Terry Gilliam erratic genius-flick

Visually (as all TG films) this film is a triumph. Inventive, brooding, threatening, complex, detailed, fantastical yet coherent.

Matt Damon and Heath Ledger's accents (HL especially) seem to slip between mittle-European and Estuary English. The action and acting is frantic. Quote: "Run! Run!"

Jonathan Pryce is way over the top as a crazed French General. There are several strange people-creatures that have leapt from Gilliam's crazed imagination.

The majestic Monica Belluci plays the divine, cruel Mirror Queen (see attached image)

CRL Rating: 7.0 /10 - should be higher, but too much silliness instead of humour.

Clive Long
21st-December-2005, 12:16 PM
ShopGirl

Genre: Intelligent chick flick

Synopsis: Based on a short story by Steve Martin.
Ray Porter is an ageing, but still handsome, self-made millionaire who spends his life engaged in money-making deals and moving between his designer but lifeless homes in the USA. He gently seducess a girl (Mirabelle) who sells gloves in Saks department store. Mirabelle is alone and has to choose between the clumsy eagerness of Jeremy and the accomplished but remote Ray.

I have always been annoyed at Steve Martin (Ray Porter). I have found his "zanyness" in most of his performances at odds with his obvious intelligence. I think this performace, although maybe too restrained, hints at the sadness behind the wit and urbane remarks of his character.

Claire Danes (Mirabelle) is her usual fragile beauty and achieves a believable transformation from plain to alluring. Her portrayal of loneliness at the beginning of the film is very moving.

The way Ray and Mirabelle see, and describe to others, the level of commitment in the relationship is probably an archetype of what men and women want if they could have it.

I had never seen Jason Schwarzmann (Jeremy) before - but with his edge and naive charm I think he has the potential to move to the ranks of Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr. and John Cusack. His love for Mirabelle is simple and clumsily expressed.

Reviewers have questioned whether the story is based on Steve Martin's real-life experience. You just think about Ray, "What's your problem? She is lovely and wonderful and completely in love with you? Why not commit to her?"

Telling line: Mirabelle, "Why don't you love me?". Ray can't answer.

CRL Rating 7.5 /10

Donna
21st-December-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey anybody seen the Chronicles of Narnia? Excellent film and a definate must see!!!! They tell the story exactly how it is in the book :clap: and the effects are amazing and scenary is breathtaking.

Clive Long
21st-December-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey anybody seen the Chronicles of Narnia? Excellent film and a definate must see!!!! They tell the story exactly how it is in the book :clap: and the effects are amazing and scenary is breathtaking.
I haven't seen it, yet, but the clips look amazing. Tilda Swinton as the witch seems inspired casting.

Clive

LMC
21st-December-2005, 01:51 PM
Narnia: see above, my review might have got lost 'cos I did several films in one post. Definitely see on the big screen :)

David Bailey
21st-December-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah... hmmm....

It was very definitely a children's film, of course - much more so than the LOTR films or even the recent round of animations (e.g. Shreks), so it had less appeal to me than those. Also, I thought it was if anything a bit too faithful to the book, it plodded a bit in the middle IMO, and I could have done without all the "Peter The High King" character-developmental stuff. Plus, the CGI looked a bit ropey in places.

Having said that, it's got a lovely start, and a fantastic ending, and the Aslan Stone-Table-Moment is genuinely moving. It's a good film, but not I think a great one.

Clive Long
2nd-January-2006, 07:37 PM
Just Like Heaven

Genre: Chick flick, Rom com (can't get enough of them)

Synopsis:
I'm a sucker for feel-good movies. When I read the "summary" (I'm sure there's a correct movie term) I thought, "Ah, Ghost, Truly Madly Deeply".

Not giving too much away, she has died and has to come to turns with it.

Reese Witherspoon is good as the control-freak young doctor. She is cute, in an uptight kind of way.

The woman I saw the film with gasped when she saw Mark Rufullo in the shower. He is gorgeous but also "human" - not picture-perfect like Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and the nauseatingly one-dimensional DeCaprio. I like Mark Rufullo as a comic, everyman actor. How he handles the appearance of the woman I found very amusing. See him in "In The Cut", with a deranged Meg Ryan, to see his range as an actor.

The ending is obvious but nicely handled.

CRL Rating: FFFM (Fun, feel-good, Friday Movie) 7 /10

David Bailey
2nd-January-2006, 07:50 PM
Yest another review
Good grief, Weg, how many films have you seen? :eek: :whistle:

OK, Here's my contribution:

King Kong
Genre: Errr... Adventure?

Synopsis:
OK, this is probably not needed. There may be a couple of Amazonian Indians in remote tribes somewhere that don't know the plot - but they're probably not reading the forum more than once a year anyway, so I'll leave them out.

The good bits:
- The CGI and Jurassic-park bits, including the bits where Kong kicks the butts of three T-rexes :clap:
- The character development bits at the start
- The relationship between Kong and Anne
- A great performance from Jack Black
- Excellent Empire-State finale

The not-so-good bits:
- 3 hours long :eek:
- Lots of development of characters who then disappear...
- Dragging at times, especially in the middle bit
- Rushed third act in parts

Overall impression: no LOTR, but nothing is - a reasonable blockbuster, but that's about it.

Jive Brummie
5th-January-2006, 12:20 AM
40 Year Old Virgin...

Why you should see it? Because it's full of funny stuff!

Not that's a synopsis.

j.

Clive Long
20th-January-2006, 12:43 AM
Memoirs of a Geisha

Genre: Hollywood-lush romantic tragedy (I made that up)

Synopsis:
Young Japanese girl and her sister are sold by her desperately poor Japanese father into the life of a Geisha. The girl is separated from her sister and is treated as a slave by the people running the Geisha house. The girl falls for an older man and is selected to train as a geisha. After many set backs she becomes the greatest Geisha. Many men fall for her. But all is swept away in Japan by the Second World War and replaced by a new power. There is a little happiness at the end after much suffering and heart-ache.

Performances:
The performances were "theatrical" i.e not particularly naturalistic but for me that fitted the setting, the story and the style of the film.

The young Chuo - the young girl showed both the terror, the pain and the little pleasure she had experienced in her life.

Sayuri - Beautifully elegant. She seemed convincing to me (never having met a Geisha of course).

Hamamoto - a cruel, selfish and heartless soul. However you felt when she got her come-uppance that she too was a victim of the situation.

Mameha - one of the few sympathetic adults in the story. A "natural" performance by Michelle Yeoh.

Nobu - a strong performance of a man always aware of his disfigurement resulting from the First War and trying to control his passions.

The women running the Geisha House are initially old crones but you begin to understand they are just trying to survive in a world different from our own. The rules are harsh but they exist to ensure the survival of the whole community. And then the world changes around them and is outside their control.

The "look":
The images on the screen look "painted up into the corners". The setting is during the 1930's and it interesting to see Japanese men wearing western suits and the women wearing traditional dress. I felt the images of the inside of the Geisha home were very authentic. At times the images were quite stunning.

The life: The Geisha's way of life (if we assume the film and book's research were accurate) was very harsh. The training was long and the women had no choice over their lives. They had to play a role over which they had no influence.

The length: It is a long film but the film is trying to tell the story of a life and a way of life.

CRL Rating: 7 /10 - only because it is a bit long - although I can't see what could be cut out without affecting the drama of the story and the beauty of the film

LMC
20th-January-2006, 12:52 AM
I'd give Memoirs of a Geisha a 8.5.

Yes, it's a bit of a bum-number. But that suits the quiet and introspective style of the book - there are huge swathes of time in the book when "not much happens" outside the daily routine and the interest is from Sayuri's personal development.

I was a bit worried that the film would "spoil" the book and have had mixed comments from friends who have seen it. But despite being filmed in California, with Chinese actors playing several of the major roles, I felt that the "feel" of the book - evocative scenery and characterisation of culture was well followed. The book's themes of self-sacrifice, dignity and longing were also very well translated to the screen.

If you loved the book, as I did, go "prepared" for the film not -quite- measuring up to that - but I don't think any film could. This one is a damn fine effort.

And the car chase was impressive.

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-January-2006, 01:18 AM
I saw 'The Producers' on wednesday afternoon. A bit dissapointing, the comic timing was waaayyy off in quite alot of it, and the songs tended to drag on a bit.
However, I was really impressed with Matthew Broderic, his physicality was great, and his use of facial expression really enhanced his performance :clap: I thought the little relationship between him and Uma Thurmans character was great, really funny. Uma Thurman also really surprised me, she really brought that character to life, and Will Ferrel was funny as usual playing the eccentric German.
The film as a whole tended to go on too long, but it was a good concept. I think it was trying to remake the old hollywood musicals. Especially evident in the last song which started with the same music as the begining of 'Gotta dance' (I forget the real title) in singing in the rain- that was really irritating!
On a whole it was ok, but i'd say leave it as a last resort. Again, it was mainly the comic timing that ruined it for me, incredibly annoying when it's so obvious!

I'm not much of a reviewer, if you want a bit long response on characterisation and the like you'll need to let me go and see it again.

I'd rate it 6 1/2 or 7 out of ten, but I can be a bit of a harsh critic ;)

Ash x

Crazy Russian
3rd-February-2006, 06:09 PM
You know, I'm very glad that it is not only Hollywood that shoots really good films. My favourite not Hollywood films are:

The UK:

"Snatch"

"Trainspotting"

Germany:

"Good bye Lenin!" (It is stunning film! I like it very much! Watch it! :) )

"Knockin' on Heaven's door" (Very good film. Really very good. Even in spite of its having been shooted for the USA.)

France.

"Amelie"

"Leon"

Actually there are a lot of great French films. Especially I like the ones shooted by Luc Besson.

Russia.

Among postsoviet films I like only "Сибирский цирюльник".

Lory
4th-February-2006, 02:54 AM
"Сибирский цирюльник".

I don't think i've seen that one :confused: :wink:

David Bailey
4th-February-2006, 07:16 PM
"Walk the Line"

Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are the main stars - although I feel I should get some geek cred for spotting the Guy Who Played the Gay Football Player in Buffy Season 2 and 3 as a member of the band...

Anyway, it's a traditional morality tale - informative, but nothing new, and went on a bit too long for my tastes (not helped by developing cramp in my thigh 10 mins before the end, what was all that about?).

However, the main performances by Phoenix and Witherspoon are superb - and their voices sound great too - lifting it above the average. Reese Witherspoon especially - she's been in so many popcorn movies recently, I completely forgot she can actually act,

The movie covers the quarter-century up until the famous (to Cash fans) concert in the prison in 1968. It doesn't spoon-feed you the backstory; you have to pay attention, for example, to know that Cash hated the airforce.

Robert Patrick also shines as Cash's father, and I can now finally watch him without thinking "T-1000! Run!". Which is a bonus, I guess.

Good film, worth seeing, but probably more so if you're familiar with some of his music - 7/10 overall.

drathzel
5th-February-2006, 08:54 PM
Germany:

"Good bye Lenin!" (It is stunning film! I like it very much! Watch it! :) )

I have ton agree this was a superb film!

Went to see Rumour has it, today! It was lol funny. Its def a chick flick, i even cried near the end. The acting was ok but the star of the show for me was Shirley McLean, she was histerical.:grin:

Freddie_C
15th-February-2006, 01:40 PM
40 Year Old Virgin...

Why you should see it? Because it's full of funny stuff!

Its not that funny, at the most I'd say borrow it from a friend, not even worth the £3.95 you'd pay at BB...(or what ever extortionate price they charge you nowadays) (but thats my opinion)

Freddie

Clive Long
19th-February-2006, 11:53 AM
GoodNight and GoodLuck

The Setting
The film is set in CBS Television in 1950's USA.

The Story
Ed Murrow is an experienced reporter who has a couple of television shows. The "See it Now" is used as a vehicle to expose Senator Joseph McCarthy's anti-communist witch-hunts.

The Style
The film is shot in Black and White. Almost everyone smokes. The world of work was male-dominated. Suits and ties were order of the day.

The pace may seem slow and a lot conveyed by words, but I felt the tension they must have experienced and how easy it would have been for them all to fall into line for an easy, lucrative life.

The intercutting of the performances the female singer seemed to help set the mood.

Greatness
I had never seen David Strathairn (who plays Murrow) act before, although his entry in IMDB shows he has worked on many films. Having said I haven't seen the guy before, you feel this is a performance of a life-time. There isn't much action, a lot of the time the camera just focuses on Strathairn and his delivery is measured without much variety in facial expression until he is given the signal the transmission has ended. But I was completely involved in what he was portraying as Murrow and I understood how much pressure they were under.

I would guess the writers of the film used the scripts from the television shows. Just listening to the words and sentences as language, ignoring the bravery of what they were doing, you are overwhelmed by the power and poetry of the writing of the original journalists (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433383/quotes - what was that quote please LMC?). It makes most what we read now seem like dog puke.

Gripes
The story of the secret marriage between the characters played by Robert Downey Junior and Patricia Clarkson don't seem to add anything to the film.

CRL Rating: 9 / 10 (although others may find it a bit "slow")

LMC
19th-February-2006, 12:16 PM
Agree with all that.

If you want an action movie, this is not it!

I really liked the "understatement" - Murrow's passion for truth and justice is evident, but comes without hysterical polemic. The film is really more of a documentary - George Clooney uses a lot of original footage and sticks faithfully to Murrow's words in the "See it Now" sections.

David Strathairn's measured delivery feels absolutely authentic. To some extent, it felt like George Clooney was using the film as a commentary on current affairs - which is not a bad thing. Certainly, the start and endpieces are quite ironic.

I Googled for the quote Clive was talking about - certainly the "one of the film" for me. From a quotations website (http://www.love-quotes-and-quotations.com/edward-r-murrow.html):

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men- not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular.

This is no time for men who oppose Senator McCarthy's methods to keep silent, or for those who approve. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of a republic to abdicate his responsibilities. As a nation we have come into our full inheritance at a tender age. We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

The actions of the junior Senator from Wisconsin have caused alarm and dismay amongst our allies abroad, and given considerable comfort to our enemies. And whose fault is that? Not really his. He didn't create this situation of fear; he merely exploited it- and rather successfully. Cassius was right. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

Good night, and good luck.

Stuart
28th-February-2006, 11:22 PM
"Good Night and Good Luck"

I've just been to see this and I have to agree with all this. I've seen some old film of Ed Murrow and David Strathain's performance is uncannily accurate. Hopefully it should win him an Oscar.

Crazy Russian
2nd-March-2006, 11:17 AM
At present I watch "Long way round" on Viasat Explorer. Ewan MacGregor and some fellow travel by two motorcycles all over the world...

They've already visited Europe, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and Russia. So funny! Their adventures in Siberia are truly amazing. :rofl:

And bearded Ewan looks like some Russian tsar... :D

Watch it necessarily if you haven't done it yet... :wink:

clevedonboy
2nd-March-2006, 12:07 PM
and some fellow

Charley Boorman

And yes it is a splendid documentary

WittyBird
1st-April-2006, 09:12 PM
Ice Age - The Meltdown

To say it only came out today - the cinema was empty :clap:

Plot Outline (taken from imbd) : Diego, Manny and Sid return in this sequel to the hit Ice Age. This time around the Ice Age is over and is starting to melt, which will destroy their valley. So they must unite and warn everyone about the situation.

Easy to watch, a laugh a minute with lots of humour for the adults :D

Quote...

Hey Ma'am, you look like a big fat hairy beast, how would you like to lose a ton or two :rofl:

Jive Brummie
1st-April-2006, 10:16 PM
Went to the piccies the other night...got there too late to see the film we actually went for and so ended up watching "The Ringer" with Jonny Knoxville.

Did think at the start that it was going to be utter pants, but it did turn out to be a very funny film about him trying to rig the special olympics. Proper laugh out loud stuff.

JB.

p.s. Anybody watched "Hostel" yet? And if so, what was it like?

Crazy Russian
2nd-May-2006, 07:29 AM
Do you want to find out more about Russia? Then watch this film: "The Barber of Siberia". Great film! Watch it necessarily. :) Okay?

Stuart
27th-May-2006, 10:51 PM
I've just been to see "The De Vinci Code".

I found the book to be a good page turner even if the history behind it and the research was "a load of cobblers" (to paraphrase my old politics lecturer).

Unfortunately I didn't think the film was that good. It was not as bad as some critics have made out but it was not that good either. It plodded along and I thought some of the special effects in it reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (the definitive Holy Grail film in my book!). In fact I found myself dozing off at a couple of points in the film.

David Bailey
8th-July-2006, 02:36 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean 2
I went to see this last night, braving the wilds of Barnet Odeon on a Friday night (don't talk to me about teenage kids and cinema, is all I can say... :mad: )

I liked the first one, like a lot of others, and so I had high expectations of the second one.

In summary, it was good, but not great.

Good points:

Johnny Depp: he's probably physically incapable of being less than fantastic in every role, but this one was something special.
All the star Brit thesps - Nighy, Rush etc. - also show their quality
Some character development, which was nice.
Great cliffhanger of an ending.

Bad points:

Too long - 2.5 hours is a long time, and it definitely dragged during the middle bit. The last 30 minutes was great though.
Both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley - good coathangers, but the film would honestly have been better without them (especially her)
Very convoluted plotline...

I just hope this isn't following the Matrix model (1st one great, 2nd OK, 3rd total rubbish...)

So after this and X-men 3, I'm still awaiting a decent summer blockbuster. Maybe Superman Returns will live up to the hype...

ducasi
8th-July-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe Superman Returns will live up to the hype...Here's one geek's review (http://jwz.livejournal.com/656277.html) – it doesn't make me hopeful...

Piglet
10th-July-2006, 02:06 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean 2
I went to see this last night, braving the wilds of Barnet Odeon on a Friday night (don't talk to me about teenage kids and cinema, is all I can say... :mad: )

I liked the first one, like a lot of others, and so I had high expectations of the second one.
I didn't have high expectations, because I don't think I've ever seen a trilogy (except for Lord of the Rings) where the second film has been as good as the first. But I agree with your comment about it being good but not great.

[Warning: bit of a rant ahead]The other thing that irritates me is this whole 12A thing.... A film is either suitable for children or its not. Personally I'd like to pay and see a film that's not suitable for children without them being there talking through the ruddy film and making noise with their sweet wrappers and crisp packets.

Our society is getting too soft!

I am however happy for there to be a compromise - Pirates of the Caribbean was being shown in 4 out of the 10 cinema rooms in Aberdeens Cineworld - so why could 2 of them not been for people 12 and over and 2 of them been for the 12A lot. At least that way I have a choice of which audience I'd like to be part of......

Stuart M
10th-July-2006, 03:36 PM
Johnny Depp: he's probably physically incapable of being less than fantastic in every role, but this one was something special.

All hail the Depp. :worthy: Though I'd have to see his performance in Nightmare on Elm Street part 6 to test your theory.

Bad points:

Both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley - good coathangers, but the film would honestly have been better without them (especially her)

Surely hanging anything on Ms. Knightley would invalidate the breakage insurance - Keira's I mean. "Waif-like" doesn't even begin to describe her.

Dreadful Scathe
10th-July-2006, 04:07 PM

The whole 12a nonsense came about after parental complaints about their kids not getting in to see Spiderman. I remember the signs at the cinema at the time that said something along the lines of - Spiderman is a certificate 12. You must have valid ID. Adults vouching for kids is not acceptable.

Yes of course my kid is 12...

did anyone see the Da Vinci Code film?

straycat
10th-July-2006, 04:12 PM
All hail the Depp. :worthy: Though I'd have to see his performance in Nightmare on Elm Street part 6 to test your theory.

Part 6? Didn't he get somewhat diced in number 1?

Stuart M
10th-July-2006, 04:44 PM
Part 6? Didn't he get somewhat diced in number 1?
I don't know - I'm relying on IMDB here, which is not always wise. We need to find a NoES geek to answer this.

Stuart
10th-July-2006, 05:40 PM
did anyone see the Da Vinci Code film?

I did. I thought it was quite funny in places although the people around me didn't seem to think so.

foxylady
10th-July-2006, 06:53 PM
I didn't have high expectations, because I don't think I've ever seen a trilogy (except for Lord of the Rings) where the second film has been as good as the first. But I agree with your comment about it being good but not great.

[Warning: bit of a rant ahead]The other thing that irritates me is this whole 12A thing.... A film is either suitable for children or its not. Personally I'd like to pay and see a film that's not suitable for children without them being there talking through the ruddy film and making noise with their sweet wrappers and crisp packets.

I am however happy for there to be a compromise - Pirates of the Caribbean was being shown in 4 out of the 10 cinema rooms in Aberdeens Cineworld - so why could 2 of them not been for people 12 and over and 2 of them been for the 12A lot. At least that way I have a choice of which audience I'd like to be part of......

Just been to see it, and fell asleep !!!

Its not the childrens fault though Piglet - its the adults that aren't teaching them how to behave - and I have certainly had occasion in the past to tell adults to be quiet because of chatting/crisp packets/sweet wrappers/phones, haven't you ???

Piglet
10th-July-2006, 08:00 PM
I did. I thought it was quite funny in places although the people around me didn't seem to think so.
:yeah: Thank God - someone else with my sense of humour :D

And Foxylady I do agree with you too and I will tell adults to shut up or give them death glares in the darkness. One of the worst things I ever endured was listening to a child suck the dribbles of his coke and ice up the straw - even worse than the popcorn, sweety paper thing.

The death glare did work but said child must have forgotten there was no coke left and did try to slurp again later :angry: There are occasions where I do wish I could cast a magic spell and this would have been one of them!

Added note: my own son has a dent in his ribs from all the elbowing I used to do to keep him quiet in a cinema - and what about people who take babies in...... (don't get me started - you'll regret it)

And the other thing about the 12A... is that my son was 12 when they brought it in - so we didn't get the benefit - and as far those baby car park spaces - I think all mothers should be made to walk for miles like I had to - so there!:na:

straycat
10th-July-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know - I'm relying on IMDB here, which is not always wise. We need to find a NoES geek to answer this.
By the look of IMDB, he was in both, but not as the same character, although I can't remember him in 6 (which I vaguely remember watching)

David Bailey
2nd-October-2006, 09:44 AM
Children of Men:

Warning... spoilers follow, don't read if you don't want to know some key plot points...
Whilst we should of course applaud a gutsy British sci-fi attempt, they come along so rarely, this wasn't really my cup o' tea.

Set in 2027, the basic premise is that in 2009, the whole of humanity became infertile over a short period of time. No explanation is ever given for this (unlike in the book), and this is my main problem with the concept. I can't imagine a world where this has happened, but where this hasn't had a complete and utter change to society (as in the Handmaid's Tale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale_%28film%29))

Instead, we're shown a standard dystopia, with extremes of current trends (asylum-seekers in concentration camps, massive rich / poor gulf, etc.) - all of which could have been posited without the infertility McGuffin.

We're not shown anybody actually working on a cure for this. And later, when a character is revealed to be pregnant, neither are we given any explanation for this, it's just a Deus Ex Machina.

On the upside, there are some great performances by, well, everyone really. There are also some good (realistic) action scenes, and it's far from predictable.

Just to repeat myself a bit - Children of Men - still feeling bowled over and breathless after watching it last night. Must, must, must see....
Sorry, not really my "Best. Film. Ever".

straycat
2nd-October-2006, 12:09 PM
Children of Men:

Warning... spoilers follow, don't read if you don't want to know some key plot points...

:yeah:
REALLY don't read. It's far better to see this one completely cold.

We're not shown anybody actually working on a cure for this. And later, when a character is revealed to be pregnant, neither are we given any explanation for this, it's just a Deus Ex Machina.

It's interesting - I've seen a few reviews now which slam the fact that you don't get explanations for the infertility, or for Kee's pregnancy, that you don't get explanations of exactly what's been done to try and solve the problem....

Whereas I absolutely loved the fact that the film didn't need to try and explain this stuff. Of course there would be massive research into the problem - it obviously failed. As for Kee - why do we need to know? A huge part of the film is what she represents to the different people and factions that we meet - the why really isn't important. To have explored it realistically would have changed what the film was about.

Too many films these days try to spoonfeed you all the answers. It's nice to see a film which has the guts to avoid that trap.

Sorry, not really my "Best. Film. Ever".

Fair enough. It's not mine either - but I absolutely loved it.

Clive Long
4th-February-2007, 11:49 AM
Dreamgirls is a re-telling of the rise of (Diana Ross and) The Supremes.

I loved this film. The film has humour and drama. The show numbers are in the style of Bob Fosse - big, brash, tough and unapologetically "showy" - they are just "right".

The film captures the change in music, clothes, wigs and the influence of the Black American performer over the 60's and 70's. The singing and performance style of the Supremes with the extended arms is faithfully reproduced. The recreation of the Jackson 5 is spot on. Jamie Foxx is understated but you could understand why his character was such a manipulator to promote the band at that time. Eddie Murphy is so way out there as a mixture of James Brown, Jackie Wilson and a touch of Little Richard.

Some people criticise the show-tune style writing the songs should have been R&B, but I'm not such a Motown fan (have I mixed R&B and Motown, Fletch?) to have minded this. I liked the way the scenes "slid" into the show numbers.

A feel good movie, well made.

... braving the wilds of Barnet Odeon on a Friday night (don't talk to me about teenage kids and cinema, is all I can say... :mad: )

Yes, the little buggers are still there. Chattering away, screaming. One "Shut up!" was called out. There was almost a small scuffle to my left between the chatterers and some others.
What a rubbish cinema Branet Odeon is - one of the cheap and nasty conversions of a grand old cinema into a couple of broom cupboards where the screen is strangely placed left of view. A very, very last resort when the Vue isn't showing.

Clive Long
4th-February-2007, 12:18 PM
I knew nothing of this film until I heard the Oscar nomination of Di Caprio as lead actor. I almost choked over my Crunchy Nuts when I heard the nomination. Di Caprio for me is like Blair, a triumph of style over substance.

Well, I take it back. Di Caprio is credible as a mixture of a villain and an action hero. Jennifer Connelly is radiant as ever, a bit too beautiful and well-kempt for a reporter in an African war-zone methinks - I don't think Kate Adie carried round heated curlers. Djimon Honsou is magnificent as he moves between dignity and rage. Michael Sheen is at his most reptilian as the English diamond dealer, I wonder if he modelled his performance on his role in "the Deal"?

The scenes of revolutionary rebels / freedom fighters / terrorists slaughtering villagers, capturing men as slaves and turning young boys into drugged-up killers are strong stuff. The context of web of corruption and lies that underpins the developed world's dealing with poor countries to obtain all kinds of resources could be depressing. The ending is a bit too feel-good. How Archer (di Caprio) manages to dodge so many bullets and bombs is a little implausible. But overall a gripping thriller with great scenes of buildings being blown up by rocket launchers

Paulthetrainer
4th-February-2007, 12:21 PM
Blood Diamond

Just wanted to say that I went to see Blood Diamond last weekend and it was one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

Leonardo gives his usual great performance and seems to get better and better. I think his talent is as much in selecting what roles are right for him, as it is his acting ability.

It's an eye opening plot albeit with some disturbing scenes in places.

Highly recommended. 9.5/10

Paul

Little Yellow Fish
11th-February-2007, 04:26 PM
I thought Blood Diamond was really good - but found my attention drifting off at times. It got a bit... not boring, but not exactly gripping.

The lovely Leo is getting better with age (in sooooo many ways :wink: ).

The best film I've seen with him in it recently is The Departed. I loved this film, but if you don't like violence and blood then don't watch it.

And as for my favourite film - an all out 10 out of 10. I'm sorry to say, I'm a sucker all the way for ... Dirty Dancing :grin:

Paulthetrainer
11th-February-2007, 09:13 PM
The best film I've seen with him in it recently is The Departed.

Yes that was a good film too. Matt Damon was very good also.

David Bailey
6th-March-2007, 10:56 AM
This is one of those films I usually avoid like the plague, in favour of films like Ghost Rider.

In this case, I was wrong to do so - it's very good (and Ghost Rider isn't).

Mainly starring Judi Dench (Barbara) and Cate Blanchett (Sheba), it's based on the book by Zoe Heller, and is the story of the relationship between two teachers at a London school, how Sheba gets into an affair with a 15-year-old schoolboy, and how Barbara attempts to manipulate the story to her own ends.

Despite the subject matter, it's actually quite funny in many places, and is certainly compulsively watchable. The ending is different to the book, and there are some gaping inconsistencies - it's never shown why Sheba is so unremittingly dumb as to do such a thing, for example - but overall it's a great film.

Probably too late to catch it at the cinema, but definitely worth DVD rental in a few months' time.

Paulthetrainer
6th-March-2007, 11:46 AM
Hot Fuzz

Really enjoyed this film. Funny but not in an 'Airplane' kind of way, where after you tune in to the humour you can see the jokes coming way before they arrive, but in a more sophisticated way. Good example of a great script whereby everything that's said is plot driven, yet still funny.

I generally make comedy films a low priority but I'm glad I saw this one. 8/10.

David Bailey
6th-March-2007, 08:36 PM
Hot Fuzz

Really enjoyed this film. Funny but not in an 'Airplane' kind of way, where after you tune in to the humour you can see the jokes coming way before they arrive, but in a more sophisticated way. Good example of a great script whereby everything that's said is plot driven, yet still funny.

I generally make comedy films a low priority but I'm glad I saw this one. 8/10.
You know, it just didn't work for me?

I've no idea why - I loved both Spaced and Sean of the Dead (got the DVDs to prove it) - but for some reason Hot Fuzz just seemed a bit... weird, I guess.

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 10:09 AM
Accompanied by 1 adult and 3 kids, I saw this on Saturday afternoon.

It's an animation, from Disney, about an orphan inventor and his adventures - involving time-travel, robotic bowler hats and some very weird people. Think "Bill and Ted" with occasional flashes of the Matrix, and you're there.

It's a very difficult film to describe - highly uneven, with some very rough edges and low points, but also with some brilliant wit and humour, which had us two adults choking on our Revels on occasion.

I think it's a bit more miss than hit, but I'm quite happy to have seen it overall.

Paulthetrainer
28th-March-2007, 02:58 PM

Saw this the other night. Great special effects used to make a total gore fest. Not for the squeamish. A slightly less than gripping sub plot but great action scenes. For what the film maker was trying to achieve I think it worked quite well. 8/10.

Paulthetrainer
28th-March-2007, 03:02 PM
Premonition

Watchable with a good plot, albeit with a principal character somewhat lacking in common sense (what's the first thing we all do when we wake up from a shocking dream - we tell someone!). Sandra Bullock acts well enough though. The male lead (forget his name) also acts very well, although this is not immediately obvious at the start, only as the plot unfolds. 6/10

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 03:17 PM
Premonition

Watchable with a good plot, albeit with a principal character somewhat lacking in common sense (what's the first thing we all do when we wake up from a shocking dream - we tell someone!). Sandra Bullock acts well enough though. The male lead (forget his name) also acts very well, although this is not immediately obvious at the start, only as the plot unfolds. 6/10
Good God - you liked it?

It was boring as hell, slow, predictable, over-sentimental and as you saying completely unbelievable from a motivation point of view. I nearly fell asleep...

The male lead is Julian McMahon - he's in Nip/Tuck, was in Charmed, and in Fantastic Four (as Dr Doom).

3/10 from me...

Jhutch
28th-March-2007, 03:22 PM

Saw this the other night. Great special effects used to make a total gore fest. Not for the squeamish. A slightly less than gripping sub plot but great action scenes. For what the film maker was trying to achieve I think it worked quite well. 8/10.

I liked this too - didn't think it was that bad squeamishnesswise (not as bad as Sin City or Pan's Labyrinth). Watching men walk around in loincloths did get a bit awkward at times though - especially when they seemed to fill the whole screen:what:

Any blokes watching this who were made to feel insecure about their bodies might want to see this work-out

Josh Hillis' Fat Loss and Fitness Articles: Frank Miller movie 300 actor training - The 300 Workout (http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2006/11/frank_miller_mo.html)

Wes
28th-March-2007, 06:19 PM
Happy Feet

Paulthetrainer
28th-March-2007, 06:33 PM
Good God - you liked it?

Well to be fair I like most films in some way shape or form. I think that even bad films are good. Apart from 'Moon 44' and 'A Scanner Darkly'.

David Bailey
28th-March-2007, 07:27 PM
Well to be fair I like most films in some way shape or form. I think that even bad films are good. Apart from 'Moon 44' and 'A Scanner Darkly'.
I've never even heard of Moon 44 - wow, look, Malcolm McDowell's in it, that's always a bad sign. :eek:

I guess there were some good points about Premonition - it was an interesting premise, and reasonably acted. But then, even Cocktail had some good points...

Paulthetrainer
29th-March-2007, 12:16 AM
I've never even heard of Moon 44

Trust me David, if you pop your clogs before you get the chance to see it, don't feel you've led a wasted life.

David Bailey
29th-March-2007, 09:12 AM
Trust me David, if you pop your clogs before you get the chance to see it, don't feel you've led a wasted life.
:rofl: - well, OK then.

What is it about McDowell? He seems to be a "crap film" magnet or something... He couldn't even make a decent villain in Star Trek, and how tough is that? :rolleyes:

Lynn
29th-March-2007, 10:46 AM
Becoming Jane

For something from a girly perspective (I was asked to go to see 300 but I suggested this instead. :D )

Barry would probably find lots of historical inaccuracies, but having read snippets of Jane Austen's life it was interesting to see the background and understand where some of her material had come from. Also to understand better why her books end with weddings, with the characters overcoming the obstacles that lay in their paths to marriage.

I liked it.

(Also liked how the men so politely asked the ladies to dance and as I saw it with a dancer I insisted he apply the form of request before I would accept a dance last night!)

Paulthetrainer
29th-March-2007, 03:57 PM
Becoming Jane

For something from a girly perspective (I was asked to go to see 300 but I suggested this instead. :D )

Barry would probably find lots of historical inaccuracies, but having read snippets of Jane Austen's life it was interesting to see the background and understand where some of her material had come from. Also to understand better why her books end with weddings, with the characters overcoming the obstacles that lay in their paths to marriage.

I liked it.

(Also liked how the men so politely asked the ladies to dance and as I saw it with a dancer I insisted he apply the form of request before I would accept a dance last night!)

It's got Anne Hathaway in it therefore it HAS to be worth watching. End of.:wink:. I'll get round to it soon enough.

Paulthetrainer
30th-March-2007, 07:13 PM
The Hills Have Eyes

In preparation for "The Hills Have Eyes 2" which I saw advertised for the cinema - I downloaded and watched last years Wes Craven directed 'original'. (I think there was a true original from the 1970's)

Its a gore infested Texas Chain Saw Massacre clone with lots of body parts being chopped off and generally horrible things happening to people who really ought to have been better organised. The baddies being a bunch of mutant cannibals** who couldn't be bothered to leave their New Mexico desert town during the Nuclear Weapons experiments of the 1940's and 50's.

But fear not - its not just another Wes Craven bloodbath - there are important lessons to be learned from this film: One is that, err...Nuclear experiments are really bad. And two, is that really really ugly people are also very bad. In fact the uglier they are, the nastier they are. You have been warned. 6.5/10

Paul

**No, none of the mutants had Ceroc membership cards, although I thought I recognised one from Bromley. In the film he got a pick axe through his head, so if it is in fact him, he'll be more easily recognisable from here on in.

Lynn
30th-March-2007, 07:53 PM
It's got Anne Hathaway in it therefore it HAS to be worth watching. End of.:wink:. That was the general feeling of the person I saw it with too. :rolleyes: