PDA

View Full Version : Andy's Party

Lounge Lizard
18th-January-2004, 12:50 PM
Hot-foot from the recent success of his friday night party/dance I have just recieved the following from Sarah for her next Eastbourne dance.

Andy McGregor, he will be teaching a Ruenda Dance which is, simply a circle of couples that will dance a move then spin the lady onto the next partner which is a lot of fun. For those of you that have not met Andy McGregor he is fun lively and outrageous, often found competing in 'Double Trouble' with other guys dressed as a women!! Andy will also be DJ for the evening with some great LeRoc music and some personal favourites. Guaranteed

So we have a new teacher, DJ and promoter amongst us.
Weclome to the fold Andy - don't say it is a one off.....most of us started that way :wink:

Will your DJ set be pre-recorded? as sometimes 50% of dancers at Sarah's come from my class it would be nice to know.
good luck
peter

Andy McGregor
18th-January-2004, 03:38 PM
I was reading this thread intending to post on topic when I found LL's posting so I've replied to that and added the on topic at the end.

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Hot-foot from the recent success of his friday night party/dance

Yes, I did have a party for some of my friends from MJ. We would have invited more people but had to stop inviting people when we had over 90 acceptances as the party was in my village hall which isn't that big - so if I didn't invite you please don't take it personally. One advantage of my village hall is that it's 3 doors away from my house and it was nice to be able to walk to a dance:D

I DJ'd for the first time ever and I can't believe how hard it is. I was sweating within 10 tracks:sick: I did prepare some minidiscs but hardly used them because it felt better to choose the next track while one was playing and I could look at the dancers and sort of guess/decide the type of track that would be suitable. I was completely wasted the next day and now have the utmost respect for the work real DJs do:D And how do they cope with people talking to them at the same time as they're working the equipment:confused:

Anyway, Sarah asked me to teach and DJ for her because she and Graham are teaching and doing a cabaret at a charity dance on Hayling Island - so my donation to the charity is a guest appearance in Eastbourne.

So we have a new teacher, DJ and promoter amongst us.
Welcome to the fold Andy - don't say it is a one off.....most of us started that way :wink:

It's not a one-off, I've done the odd 'fun' lesson before - but I've never been paid and don't do it for the money, I just do it for fun. I would hate it if people started to think of me as a professional, I'm just a keen amateur that dances for fun. Don't worry, you're unlikely to see me teaching at Bognor/Camber

Will your DJ set be pre-recorded? as sometimes 50% of dancers at Sarah's come from my class it would be nice to know.
good luck
peter

Not being a professional teacher or DJ I'm not sure what's meant by 'pre-recorded':confused: All of the tracks are recorded rather than performed live on stage and they were all recorded previously. To save any confusion this is what I'll be doing, I will be picking each track at the time (probably with a minute to spare!) based on what I think people would like to dance to next - which is what I think LL does. I might cue up 2 tracks to follow each other so I can have a dance occasionally but that's the extent of my advance planning - I only worked out the CD decks could do this while I was unloading the gear on the Saturday morning after our party:blush: Don't worry, everyone seemed to like the tracks I chose and most people danced all night - except for the token Lindy track I played for those Lindy fanatics that came and I won't be playing that in Eastbourne:waycool:

[plug mode] I'm expecting Saturday 31st January at Eastbourne Town Hall to be a fantastic night with a real party atmosphere - the dance I'm teaching is fun oriented and I might even think up a silly game for people to play for one track, which will be just as much fun to watch as do - I will reveal more on the night:devil: [/plug mode]

And to get back on topic, I'm surprised at the comment that Mike Ellard would like to see more average Cerocers on here. But only because it seems like a criticism of the Forum and a criticism of the average dancer and I've heard Mike isn't like that normally.

I think there's a Catch-22 here, any 'average Cerocers' posting on here have identified themselves as being more interested in MJ than the average dancer - therefore not average at all. And the other thing is, who says who is average and who isn't?:devil:

Lounge Lizard
18th-January-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor

Not being a professional teacher or DJ I'm not sure what's meant by 'pre-recorded':confused: All of the tracks are recorded rather than performed live on stage and they were all recorded previously.
Hi Andy
what I meant was over the previous months Sarah has been known to charge full price for a dance and just have a mini disc on stage with the 'nights' music pre- recorded - I have not been to these dances so cannot comment on personal experience, but my dancers thought £8 for a mini disc on stage was a rip off so we stopped promoting the Eastbourne dances.
however if you are standing at the decks (and fitting in dances as well of course) then we will give it A BIG push on Monday's.

Reason for being 'off thread' was could not find suitable 'existing' thread to welcome you to ranks of DJ/Teacher
Once you stand up there and bare your soul you have started the move to the dark side.
May the force be with you
LL

Andy McGregor
18th-January-2004, 06:58 PM
however if you are standing at the decks (and fitting in dances as well of course) then we will give it A BIG push on Monday's.

Thank you LL, I'm sure Sarah will appreciate the support:hug:

I might sit behind the decks some of the time if I remember to put a chair up there - and if I can still see over the top of the equipment:tears:

Once you stand up there and bare your soul you have started the move to the dark side.
May the force be with you
LL

Next you'll be claiming to be my father:devil:

And back on topic. I think the membership of the Forum is probably quite representatative of dancers out in the real world. It's us freqent posters that are not representative.

Minnie M
18th-January-2004, 08:21 PM
[Bcharge full price for a dance .............. [/B]

Sarah (le Roc Eastbourne 31st Jan) asked me to teach and DJ for her because she and Graham are teaching and doing a cabaret at a charity dance ..... - so my donation to the charity is a guest appearance in Eastbourne

Sarah has put the price up to £8 for the evening (originally told me it was £6/7 so my list was wrong) must be because of the addition of the celeb DJ + teacher :wink:

Andy McGregor
18th-January-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
Sarah has put the price up to £8 for the evening (originally told me it was £6/7 so my list was wrong) must be because of the addition of the celeb DJ + teacher :wink:

It can't be because of me, I'm doing it for free - but it's nice to be called a 'celeb teacher and DJ':waycool:

I've noticed that people seem to have put up their prices, Katie from Rebel Roc was charging £8 last night too. Maybe these Civic Buildings, like Eastbourne Town Hall have put up their prices in line with their increases in Community Charge/Rates - and in Brighton the increase is 18%!!!

Jon L
19th-January-2004, 12:35 AM
I did suggest to and Sue that for Andy to DJ he should shave his hair off and wear a bandana! For some reason Sue wasn't too keen on the idea :rofl:

Seriously though he did well on Friday and everybody danced sensibly despite space shortages which was good to see

Andy McGregor
19th-January-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
I did suggest to and Sue that for Andy to DJ he should shave his hair off and wear a bandana! For some reason Sue wasn't too keen on the idea :rofl:

I think heredity is doing that job for me:tears:

Originally posted by Jon L
Seriously though he did well on Friday and everybody danced sensibly despite space shortages which was good to see

I blame everyone who said yes to our invitation. I was expecting a 40-50% acceptance rate - we ended up with about 90% of those people we asked to come. Which was nice apart from making it a bit crowded.

Also, I would just like to point out on a public Forum that RocC and I only came second in the bad dancing contest - but I think with a bit more effort we could have been worse - ignoring the beat was the hardest bit:devil:

Nina won the DWAS with Elizabeth and Roger Chin and Sarah came second - I've no idea where Nigel came but I think it was nowhere:devil: