PDA

View Full Version : Glaswegians rule!?

Amanda
19th-August-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by DJ Curtain
The wooly jumper brigade will surely be in fine form provided tea and stovies are provided.

I'm just quivering at the prospect - AUTUMN MADNESS - tea, stovies, collies, woolly jumpers, tweeds AND Robbie Shepherd - pinch me I'm dreaming. What a heady cocktail.

Come on Franck - let's make it happen. And for good measure how about a few of our four legged haggis friends, clootie dumplings, shedloads of hot steaming neeps, kilts (commando of course), pallets of Irn Bro, deep fried mars bars, obligitary tammies at the door, fish suppers, scottie dugs on patrol, the hall bedecked in tartan..... 'Tanned and toned' wouldn't get a look in compared to this fiesta. :waycool:

Amanda

Gus
19th-August-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Amanda
Come on Franck - let's make it happen. And for good measure how about a few of our four legged haggis friends, clootie dumplings, shedloads of hot steaming neeps, kilts (commando of course), pallets of Irn Bro, deep fried mars bars, obligitary tammies at the door, fish suppers, scottie dugs on patrol, the hall bedecked in tartan.....

Amanda Franck, for the sake of your foreign members, could you install a translate button so that us Southerners can understand what the heck Amands is going on about? Sounds like she's been taking thos little pink 'happy' pills!!

When is the next party .... and are there any photos from the last one?

Amanda
19th-August-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Franck, for the sake of your foreign members, could you install a translate button so that us Southerners can understand what the heck Amands is going on about

heh, heh, wouldn't you just like to know...

Amanda

Curtain
19th-August-2002, 01:54 PM
Oh what a mind blast that would be.

Slightly worried about the idea of Scottie Dogs in the same room as kilted men, that is surely a recipe for disaster. I think Franck would be fine with this idea, apart from supplying "obligatory" tammies away at the door. That would cost a bob or two (generated by the hordes of dancers scrambling over each other to get at them).

As a matter of interest Amanda, would they be of the "See you Jimmy" Variety?

Curtain
19th-August-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Franck, for the sake of your foreign members, could you install a translate button so that us Southerners can understand what the heck Amands is going on about? Sounds like she's been taking thos little pink 'happy' pills!!

Gus,

I'm orginally from down Glasgow way, so I struggle a bit too. However, I can tell you that ...

Neeps are Turnips (Yuck!)

Stovies is a mixture of mince and potatoes, amongst an array of vegetables and other ingredients that don't bare thinking about (I heard of an old women who insisted on putting a large helping of strawberry jam into her particular concoction (think she may have been losing her marbles at the time).

Tammies are flat caps (hats) generally worn by OAP's on a brau bricht nicht!!

Cardies (see Tammies)

Irn Bru is Scotland's other national drink apparently (a stomach burning mixture of chemicals promoted as a soft drink).

Do you get it now?

DavidB
19th-August-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Gus
PS Exception is made for Irun Bru .... the universal hangover cure That would be enough to put me off drinking for life

Gus
19th-August-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
That would be enough to put me off drinking for life

Ahhh ... just to confuse matters, thry've now brought out an alcopop version of Irun Bru ... rather defeats the object of the exercise. Rather takes away any logical reasons for drinking it as even its own manufacturers used to claim it was "made from iron girders" ... and many would say thats the way it tastes!

Amanda
19th-August-2002, 02:26 PM

Slightly worried about the idea of Scottie Dogs in the same room as kilted men, that is surely a recipe for disaster.

I am getting such a strong visual on this one...

Amanda

Curtain
19th-August-2002, 02:40 PM
Sorry, I hate being pedantic, but it's IRN BRU!! Glaswegians are to blame for propagating this drink.

I have to confess that when I was a youngster (which wasn't that long ago really!!) there was nothing better then going to the van (ice cream van) buying a bottle of ginger (Irn Bru) and a pokey hat (ice cream cone) and sticking them both in a large glass. Heaven!! Don't think Irn Bru is the same now, especially in plastic bottles. You cannae beat the glass ... ing someone (for the neds).

filthycute
19th-August-2002, 05:15 PM
Jeesy peeps!!!! i dismantled my comp for a few hours to get my new desk fitted and it's like an explosion in here!! :really:
Just trying to catch up on this thread......what? when? where? how?......i'm lost.....when did it get onto Scotland and it's traditions?

And DJ Curtain??......since when was a cardie a tammy?????
a cardie is a cardigan! :yum:

i hate IRN BRU, don't wear tweed, have more weeds than heather in my garden, don't know any of Rabbie Burns' poems, don't have a tartan rug in my car, only know one verse and the chorus of Flower of Scotland and failed miserably to catch a haggis for Gus........Will i get deported??? :sick:

just thought i'd get my wee bit in even though i don't have a clue what the hells going on :wink:

filthycute x x

John S
19th-August-2002, 05:54 PM
Gosh, fc - next thing you'll be telling us is that you don't know who Robbie Shepherd is - and him the King of the Dance Floor too (bet Gus hasn't heard of him!!!!)

Gus
19th-August-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by John S
Gosh, fc - next thing you'll be telling us is that you don't know who Robbie Shepherd is - and him the King of the Dance Floor too

I know I'm probably going to regret this but...

is Messr Shepherd mythical, historical, traditional or a real live cerocer of dance floor skills to match of the wonderfull Scottish female cerocers?

Amanda
19th-August-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
don't have a tartan rug in my car....

And there was me thinking that EVERY Scottish driver kept a tartan rug in the boot of their car - boy, am I disappointed....

It's the equivalent of having name tapes sewn into your clothes - anytime you forget who you are - whoops - look in the back in the car for a quick reminder and there you go....Scottish. Result.

Amanda the tartan chilli

hootsmonhelpmaboabochayethenooseeyoujimmy

Curtain
19th-August-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
And DJ Curtain??......since when was a cardie a tammy?????
a cardie is a cardigan! :yum: Probably didn't make myself very clear eh? I just presumed that everyone knew what a cardie was, so by "(See Tammy)" I meant that they are generally worn by OAP's on a brau bricht nicht.

Sorry Mel, just thought that everyone was on the same wave length. Oh well, here on my own again!!

filthycute
19th-August-2002, 07:43 PM
Gosh, fc - next thing you'll be telling us is that you don't know who Robbie Shepherd is - and him the King of the Dance Floor too (bet Gus hasn't heard of him!!!!) erm....who?

filthycute x x

Heather
19th-August-2002, 08:54 PM
:confused: :confused:
Me neither!!!!! Never heard of him , but then he was probably around WELL before our time!!!
Remember Mel - John S is about a century old!!!!!:wink: :wink:
He probably knew this 'Robbie' guy from back in 19 Oatcake!!!:D

:cheers:
Heather

Sandy
19th-August-2002, 10:59 PM
Sorry, I hate being pedantic, but it's IRN BRU!! Glaswegians are to blame for propagating this drink.

I have to confess that when I was a youngster (which wasn't that long ago really!!) there was nothing better then going to the van (ice cream van) buying a bottle of ginger (Irn Bru) and a pokey hat (ice cream cone) and sticking them both in a large glass. Heaven!!

Ahhhh music to my ears :nice: you must have spent a few years on the west coast with language like that?? a bottle of ginger, a pokey hat - surely only Glasgow (west of Scotland) terms, or am I wrong???

Blame is surely wrong - next to whisky it's Scotland's national drink!(tho I actually prefer whisky!!)

Cheers:cheers:

Sandy

John S
20th-August-2002, 03:17 AM
Fit ye sayin? Nae heard tell o Robbie Shepherd?

Will yin o youse loons an quines frae up north nae tak the flair an tell yon Inglis Gus aboot Aiberdeenshire's hero? Fit a gran nicht we wid aa hae syn Robbie were tae gang tae the nixt Ceroc pairty in Aiberdeen.

Ma Doric's nae guid enow tae dae it proper :(

Seeing as how we have an international readership and don't have simultaneous translation facilities built in, then for those unacquainted with the gentleman in question (Heather, FC, I'm shocked - stands Scotland where she did?) Robbie is the doyen of Scottish Country Dance music and regularly hosts "Take the Floor" on Radio Scotland. (Now lets see some seriously progressive Ceroc DJs include THAT in their playlists! Well, maybe not.)
:cheers:

Franck
20th-August-2002, 10:35 AM
Robbie is the doyen of Scottish Country Dance music and regularly hosts "Take the Floor" on Radio Scotland. (Now lets see some seriously progressive Ceroc DJs include THAT in their playlists! Well, maybe not.) Never heard of the man myself, but I have played Scottish Country music at the class I taught in Hammersmith... Ok, so the theme was Ceroc with a Scottish twist, and I had my kilt on, but it seemed to go down well (the music, not the kilt :really: ). I might have to play a track or too soon...

Franck.

Curtain
20th-August-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Sandy
Ahhhh music to my ears :nice: you must have spent a few years on the west coast with language like that?? a bottle of ginger, a pokey hat - surely only Glasgow (west of Scotland) terms, or am I wrong??? Well Sandy, I was born in Glasgow and went to school in Aberdeen. Still have a lot of family connections down there, but don't visit as much as I used (was never away from the place).

Mores the pity!!

Amanda
20th-August-2002, 11:17 AM
I was born in Glasgow

me too...

Does this mean that The Forum is dominated by lairy Glasweigens?!

Amanda the west coast chilli

Sandy
21st-August-2002, 08:21 AM
me too...

Amanda the west coast chilli It does explain a few things! Just can't keep us down (or away!):wink:

Cheers

Sandy:cheers:

John S
21st-August-2002, 10:16 AM

me too...

And me as well - we're a garrulous tribe from Glesca, aren't we???:nice:

(But having lived as a newcomer to Fife for 30 years, my naturalisation papers are nearly ready to be processed.):what:

Curtain
21st-August-2002, 10:36 AM

And me as well - we're a garrulous tribe from Glesca, aren't we???:nice:

(But having lived as a newcomer to Fife for 30 years, my naturalisation papers are nearly ready to be processed.):what:

Don't do it man!! This may be slightly controversial, but how self-indulgent do you have to be to live under a banner ÒThe Kingdom of FifeÓ. I bet the inhabitants revel in this absurdity, telling their long lost American relatives about the glory days of east coast rule. Well, enough!! Not only do you disappoint the enthusiastic tourist, intent on exploring the prominent castles and palaces one associates with utopian pasts, you also fool the rest of Scotland into thinking Raith Rovers & Dunfermline have good football teams. Who do you think you are?

This rant was brought to you by GandhiÕs Sandal Shop

John S
21st-August-2002, 11:23 AM

you also fool the rest of Scotland into thinking Dunfermline have good football teams. Who do you think you are?

Well, we seem to have fooled whoever it is that compiles the league tables at present, don't you think???? (Good luck in Moldova, BTW)

Graham
21st-August-2002, 01:11 PM

me too...

Interesting question. Maybe we should have a profile entry for birthplace? Foreigners Gus and Franck seem to dominate the more technical discussions, but as you seem to be the chief tone-lowerer, then perhaps "heavily influenced by lairy Glaswegians" would be true! :wink:

John McAulay
22nd-August-2002, 12:24 PM
me too...

Amanda the west coast chilli No

Yes Im from the west coast, but never a weigie!

and I dont miss it a bit! miss some people, not the place.

With its Rain, unemployment, Rain, drugs, Rain, wineo's, Rain, Midgies, Rain, Bigots and not to mention the crap weather

I miss it not!

I am however pleased to have met some nice Weigie's in ABZ

Regards:waycool:

Graham
22nd-August-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Sandy
Glesga Sandy (actually Paisley but let's not split hairs! Who on earth calls it Glesga (or even worse Glesgae)?? :really: I might have known you were a "buddy". :wink:

CJ
22nd-August-2002, 01:26 PM
Being an adoptee of "The KIngdom," (We don't use the term Fife,{too common} we leave that to the plebbs) I have to say Dunfie's chances of winning the league (i.e. 3rd after the bigots) are pretty good this year......... but, where exactly is Raith? I can't find it on my map anywhere!!!!!

Sandy
22nd-August-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I might have known you were a "buddy". :wink:

Yep I was indeed but that was over 20 years ago (God I'm that old!). However I have had a very happy time up here in the Aberdeen/Stonehaven area (except for the haar!) and have brought my children up here. I do still love to go back and visit the west coast and maybe I enjoy it so much because I'm always on holiday when in the Glasgow/Paisley area. (Have to admit haven't actually been to Paisley for a number of years as I have no family there now).

Cheers

Sandy:cheers:

Curtain
22nd-August-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Being an adoptee of "The KIngdom," (We don't use the term Fife,{too common} we leave that to the plebbs) I have to say Dunfie's chances of winning the league (i.e. 3rd after the bigots) are pretty good this year......... but, where exactly is Raith? I can't find it on my map anywhere!!!!! Raith Rovers are based in Kirkcaldie (think that's how ypu spell it) which is also Fife I believe and they beat us in the Coca Cola Cup some years ago.

By us I mean Celtic I'm afraid. I've supported them all my life and I'm from the East End of Glasgow, so you cannae call us a glory hunter. I remember the days of getting gubbed by Aberdeen only too well.

We aren't all bigots!!

CJ
22nd-August-2002, 03:04 PM
Somebody had to bite:

BTW, It's Kirkaldy.

Anyway, never forget commentary on BBC after said victory over Celts. Commentator sid with glee, "And they'll be dancing on the streets of Raith, tonight." Oh how I laughed.

John S
22nd-August-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Somebody had to bite:

BTW, It's Kirkaldy.

No it's not - it's KIRKCALDY (a rather quaint little place to the east of Dunfermline)

Curtain
22nd-August-2002, 04:30 PM
A little bit of tension there amongst the Fifers methinks. I hope it doesnae come to blows fellas, but John is right, it is spelled Kirkcaudi (lol). I don't know if you can call it quaint though. Come to think of it, maybe my spelling of it should be considered at the next council meeting, has a more continental flavour, might make the place seem a little bit more exciting.

CJ
22nd-August-2002, 04:38 PM
Can we not just spell it "Raith" and be done with it?