PDA

View Full Version : Cabaret - Your views please

johnah
14th-January-2004, 05:20 PM
It's been interesting reading the postings about Bognor and, particularly, in respect of the cabaret. Personally, I was disappointed by the appearance of the "Tom impersonator". The dance floor was buzzing and, sadly, he cleared it pronto!

As I'm involved with Jive Addiction, and the Southport Weekend Jive Extravadanca, I'd be very interested to hear members views:

Do you want any kind of cabaret, and if so, what would you prefer to see?

If not, then why not?

We have quite a few ideas on the subject ourselves, but we would really welcome your input please.

For those who don't know about Southport, check out www.jiveaddiction.com

:cheers:

TheTramp
14th-January-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm not a fan of having a cabaret at these sort of events. As you said about Bognor, even though it wasn't a cabaret as such, it still cleared the floor, and diminished the atmosphere.

However, I do know that some people prefer to watch, and do like having a cabaret - provided that it is up to an acceptable standard. I'm not sure that anything other than a practised routine should be allowed. I've seen a number of people do freestyle for 'cabarets' before now. And if I want to watch them dance freestyle, I'll just watch a track when they are on the dancefloor.

I think that it's one of those, 'you'll never please everyone' decisions. I quite like the compromise that started this year at Camber, where while the cabaret is on upstairs, there is music playing downstairs for people who prefer to dance. Previously, the downstairs room was closed while the cabaret was on, leaving you with no choice (except that I used to usually head back to the chalet for a shower or something).

I guess I did also quite like the idea that happens at the Stompin' weekends, where it's just the teachers who all take to the floor simultaneously for two tracks. You get 7 minutes of watching all of the teachers at the same time (ie, watching who you want to watch), and it's all over in 10 minutes.... And you could do something like a snowball for the 3rd track to help fill the floor again (all the teaching couples split, go grab another person from the audience, after a minute, split again, and all people on the dancefloor go grab another person from the audience etc.).

Steve

stewart38
14th-January-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

However, I do know that some people prefer to watch, and do like having a cabaret - provided that it is up to an acceptable standard. I'm not sure that anything other than a practised routine should be allowed.

Steve

I'm sorry I wouldn't have any. There generally not very good and distract from the dancing /free style

Keep them in the comps if you want

Everyone will have a different view but I don't see that they 'add anything'.

TheTramp
14th-January-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I'm sorry I wouldn't have any. There generally not very good and distract from the dancing /free style

Keep them in the comps if you want

Everyone will have a different view but I don't see that they 'add anything'. Why are you sorry?

That's what I said too.

However, there are people who enjoy them. Which is why I like it when there is both dancing and a cabaret. Try to keep everyone happy.

Steve

stewart38
14th-January-2004, 05:49 PM
Why are you sorry?

That's what I said too.

However, there are people who enjoy them. Which is why I like it when there is both dancing and a cabaret. Try to keep everyone happy.

Steve

I know a lot of people love them can't we set up a pole ?

ps thats not a joke (I know my jokes have come in for some criticism)

ChrisA
14th-January-2004, 07:51 PM
However, there are people who enjoy them.
I'm one of them, but they need to be relevant to why we're all there (eg not a Tom Jones performance) and either very "wow" (eg David & Lily's recent aerials display) or inspirational (eg anything Nigel and Nina do, or Will and Kate's Arabian routine), or both, obviously.

Or, in the smaller events, something that a class learned during the day (like a hip hop routine) - just as a bit of fun and for solidarity's sake, to give them the opportunity to show off an achievement, no matter how modest.

The cabaret format at Rock Bottoms, for example, is spot on, IMHO.

Chris

Diane
14th-January-2004, 08:32 PM
I have only seen cabarets at Rock Bottoms, oh and V&L at Stockport and I have enjoyed most of them.

To clarify that without causing offence was that a couple of cabarets were of dance styles that I don't enjoy.

Anyway back to the point, I do enjoy watching them, it's great to see dancers perform routines of a standard that I will never reach, it's very inspiring.

di

Chris
15th-January-2004, 01:22 AM
It's a hard one. I've usually enjoyed the cabarets at Cambers and Bognor and elsewhere, but I also miss them sometimes.

Some people like fun cabaret and some people like the more serious stuff. Personally I don't mind missing the fun ones (although if it's Andy and Rena the quality is so high that it's a fine line.)

I prefer the ones that show off dancing skill. But three max is enough for the night.

Chris

Jon L
15th-January-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Chris
It's a hard one. I've usually enjoyed the cabarets at Cambers and Bognor and elsewhere, but I also miss them sometimes.

Some people like fun cabaret and some people like the more serious stuff. Personally I don't mind missing the fun ones (although if it's Andy and Rena the quality is so high that it's a fine line.)

I prefer the ones that show off dancing skill. But three max is enough for the night.

Chris

I am with the tramp on this one with the exception of the Rebel yell cabarets, David and Lily, Andy and Rena, Nigel and Nina etc. I prefer the one at the stompin in Brighton when everyone was together.

Martin
15th-January-2004, 04:32 AM
Although I did do a caberet act at the last 2 Camber Sands I attended and taught at - May 2003 with Nigel and Nina, Nicky and Robert, Myself and Adriana - November 2000 With Simon de Lisle and Alison, Myself and Vicki - I am quite happy to see them dropped in favour of dancing.

The one caviate is that if a routine is taught to everyone (such as Nigel and Nina did in May 2003) then it is good for all the class participants to practice hard and have the chance of "thier time in the limelight". Talking to one dancer after that she was really chuffed to have the opertunity to "perform".

This need only take a total of 10 minutes start to end, with intros, clearing the floor etc.

johnah
15th-January-2004, 10:24 AM
Really appreciate all your views on this subject which are fairly mixed so far, so please keep them coming.

www.jiveaddiction.com

Rachel
16th-January-2004, 04:39 PM
Ok, here's another 'voice' for you - I really do like watching caberets, but only very good ones. (Ok, so who's to say what's good?? But you know what I mean.)

I also love watching that jazz group (someone remind me who they are - Mandy's Movers?) who, I think, have performed at the last 2 Cambers. It's good to see some other styles of dancing, too - i.e. tango, straight hip-hop, flamenco, etc.

But I don't much like watching 'class performances' of a workshop done earlier in the day. I only end up watching the teacher doing it at the front in those instances, anyway!

But my preference would be to have the caberets early in the evening, and not too many of them. If I have to stop dancing and sit down for a long while to watch and then get all cold (freezing at Camber!), then it takes me ages to 'get going' again.

I really like the idea of continuing the music in a separate room, for those who'd prefer to carry on dancing.

Also love what Tramp said about wathcing all the teacher freestyling for 10 minutes or so. That would be great.
Rachel

Minnie M
16th-January-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Ok, here's another 'voice' for you - I really do like watching caberets, but only very good ones. (Ok, so who's to say what's good?? But you know what I mean.)

Yep - the ones that inspire you - like that latin couple at Rebel Yell, David & Lily, Graham & Diane. Dan Baines etc., and of course top international dancers like Robert & Deborah

The group ones IMO like the Boogie Woogie lot just take up dancing time and are boring :sick:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-January-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I know a lot of people love them can't we set up a pole ?

ps thats not a joke (I know my jokes have come in for some criticism)

:D It must be a joke surely, otherwise you would set up a Poll - a Pole is for dancing on :)

Ive never criticised any of your jokes. erm..read between the lines there

My view is that any party events benefit from a good cabaret, but its up to the organiser to make sure they are a good standard. I think more than 2 cabarets is probably too much though, no matter how good they are. Boogienights events usually have some form of cabaret and theyre always good, route66 has had them and ive never felt theyve not been worth it. Mini or Fun classes can sometimes be the most annoying thing at events like that, but if they are done early in the evening no one tends to mind that either.

blah blah blah no ones reading now anyway..ill stop..its Friday :)

Neil
17th-January-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by johnah
Do you want any kind of cabaret, and if so, what would you prefer to see? You mean you're not going to subject us to the Tango Team again??? :devil:

(Just kidding - love all you guys :hug: )

Neil

Yogi_Bear
17th-January-2004, 06:50 PM
OK, cabarets are a good idea. I remember my first or (second) camber sands weekend in 1999 where Nigel and Nina gave us one of their inimitable routines and I thought "Follow that"......and then saw David and Lily (for the first time) with their incredible 'James Bond' routine...!

I do think they have to be choreographed routines though. As has been said, if you want to see one one of the teachers freestyling you can do that anytime. I'm also in favour of audience participation, thinking of taking aprt in N&N's Nu Flow cabaret last year at Camber Sands.

I 'm left cold by Elvis impersonators (Bognor last year I think) and the like. Just give us the best dancers - we know who they are, as a rule - with choreographed routines!
:cheers:

johnah
19th-January-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Neil
You mean you're not going to subject us to the Tango Team again??? :devil:

(Just kidding - love all you guys :hug: )

Neil

The Roxanne team will not be appearing Neil. Got a few possibilities in mind -certainly NOT and Elvis or Tom impersonator types - but I'm interested in dancer's views and Wes & I will certainly have respect for them when finalising the Southport Programme. See site for all the latest info' www.jiveaddiction.com

:kiss: