PDA

View Full Version : Jive Bar in London???

Danuman
14th-January-2004, 12:57 AM
One thing that bothers me... i don’t have a regular partner and i some times i would like to do just free style so i have to go to a class and to the lessons and only get a few hours of freestyle... I cant find any bar in London open until late where modern jive is known so i thought of opening or renting a bar in London where people can just come along and freestyle, any ideas ???

bigdjiver
14th-January-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Danuman
One thing that bothers me... i don’t have a regular partner and i some times i would like to do just free style so i have to go to a class and to the lessons and only get a few hours of freestyle... I cant find any bar in London open until late where modern jive is known so i thought of opening or renting a bar in London where people can just come along and freestyle, any ideas ???

The current nightclub business culture is to cram as many people in as possible, and make most money selling alcohol. MJ is compatible with neither of these ideas.

The class serves as an opportunity to meet the people and establish a connection in advance of selecting potential partners. It is also a focus for arriving, and something useful to do whilst the crowd builds up. Without such a focus you are likely to find that people tend to arrive later and later to the point where those that prefer to arrive early and leave earlier find it is not worth their time coming.

If were rich enough not to care I would try and find a suitable venue and try showing MJ videos that do not have the "No public viewing" restriction (are their any?) , or a cheap license. This would give early arrivals something to watch and discuss, (See Roc?:Devil:) and act as a sound track to dance to. (This the DJ's will not like at all:Devil:)

Water would be free, tea and cofee and alcoholic drinks available:drool:. There would be an entrance charge, and a sales counter for videos.

I would think it odds-against being profitable. :Tears: There may be a suitable night-club somewhere that is closed some nights that might give it a try, but if it turns a profit they'll do it themselves.:sick:

JamesGeary
14th-January-2004, 10:13 AM

Yes great idea. I'd go. I think BigDJiver is wrong about it being viable. Most salsa nights are at bars. All the salsa clubs/bars stay open til 12pm or later. Its so much more convenient. Why it works is you get a culture where the dancers tend to all order at least one drink, and you also get people who drink and watch but don't dance, which is like entertainment for the drinkers. How about opening something near Fulham so its convenient for me!

But I think he's right about you being at the mercy of the club owner.

Oh yes.. Ceroc has a venue called 'The Jive Bar' in london. So you might want to pick a different name.

The main problem with the night club business is that nobody wants to be the first to turn up, then only want to be there if its crowded. Running a jive slot before the bulk of the clubbers have
arrived might work because it gets people in the venue and makes it seem more happening earlier on in the evening.

Back in NZ people used to go jiving cerocing at night clubs before they filled up. No one would organise it, it just happened. And I liked the music better, it was aimed at popular taste. You need a bit more flexibility to dance to anything on the charts as its not aimed at jivers, but that makes it more interesting.

The main problem was that cerocers would take up all the space in the floor and bump into and annoy the regular clubbers when they started to arrive. Many cerocers think they own the dance floor which causes problems. Just a lack of consideration. Ceroc has been banned in almost every nightclub in Auckland. Then after a few years they forget and the cerocers all go clubbing, and it goes through the same cycle again.

JamesGeary
14th-January-2004, 11:47 AM
Start a freestyle early and end it late. There is no-one doing that. Which would make the place unique. It would be really convenient.

Lory
14th-January-2004, 12:13 PM
I've often thought the same thing.

It would be great to have a clubby atmosphere with tables and chairs and as James said not everyone has to be dancers, I also like the idea of it staying it open later.

I'm not sure if it would work but I like the idea!:cheers:

RobC
14th-January-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Lory
It would be great to have a clubby atmosphere .....
Thought I would get in there before Andy McG ........

The problem with a clubby atmosphere is that it is usually a smokers haven, often with the DJ thinking he has to pump out smoke from the smoke machine until you can't see the other side of the dance floor :sick: :what: :sick:

Not my idea of a fun MJ night.

Lory
14th-January-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by RobC
Thought I would get in there before Andy McG ........

The problem with a clubby atmosphere is that it is usually a smokers haven, often with the DJ thinking he has to pump out smoke from the smoke machine until you can't see the other side of the dance floor :sick: :what: :sick:

Not my idea of a fun MJ night. Sorry my meaning of clubby was the seating and lighting, definitly NOT THE SMOKE! :sick: