PDA

View Full Version : How to Win Competitions!!!

Amir
13th-January-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi Guys. First of all, wanted to open up a thread so people can share their competition experiences; what have you learnt and how would you do things differently. If you don’t mind giving it away, do you have any success secrets that helped you prepare for the big day?

I used to think all you had to do at a competition was turn up and do great dancing. But I didn’t get through even the first round of the first freestyle competition I entered! Even though I was already a teacher and considered myself as good as the dancers who got through the finals! Well that opened my eyes, and later when I started talking to people that win, I understood all the things that they do and I didn’t, and is never taught in classes. I don’t care if you’re the best social dancer in your venue, competitions are a different game.

For example, which might seem obvious but is frequently overlooked: Prepare some unique flash moves, and make sure you do them when a judge is actually watching! Learn to glance up and change your positioning so you are seen from the front, rather than presenting just your bum (although sometimes a bonus). You can practise with a friend and get them to move around as you dance so you get used to performing to a ‘front’.

If you’re interested in hearing from people that actually win these events, we’re doing a workshop with some acclaimed winners that will cover their secrets of competitive dancing! We’ll have Janine and Clayton (Ceroc UK champions, Blackpool champions, Aussie Champions…. Etc!) David and Lily (Both have judged various competitions and won major events around the world such as UK Rock’n’Roll Championships and US Amateur Cabaret champs) and Kate and Will (2003 Britroc and Leroc Freestyle champs). This is a veritable dream team if you want to pick anyone’s brains!

Anyway, if this sounds interesting check out the details at www.fusiondance.co.uk I’m planning to learn from this workshop as much as I hope you will!

Good luck everyone who’s practising!

Amir

JamesGeary
13th-January-2004, 10:48 AM
PaulT got drunk before winning DWAS in Australia some years ago. Perhaps thats a trick worth trying.

Bill
13th-January-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by amir_giles

Prepare some unique flash moves, and make sure you do them when a judge is actually watching! Learn to glance up and change your positioning so you are seen from the front, rather than presenting just your bum (although sometimes a bonus).
Amir

The theory always sounds so easy..............but I don't have nay flash moves and can't really do them and get so stressed I can't remember the few decent moves I know :sick: :sorry And I never know where the judges are when they're walking round so wouldn't know when to throw in the flash move anyway.

Maybe the drink would help :na:

I did watch some of a recent competition and a few dancers did try and engage the crowd but with at least one male dancer I found this very contrived and artificial. Think I'll stay at the back with my head down as usual :D :na:

Mary
13th-January-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Bill
The theory always sounds so easy..............but I don't have nay flash moves and can't really do them and get so stressed I can't remember the few decent moves I know :sick: :sorry And I never know where the judges are when they're walking round so wouldn't know when to throw in the flash move anyway.

Maybe the drink would help :na:

I did watch some of a recent competition and a few dancers did try and engage the crowd but with at least one male dancer I found this very contrived and artificial. Think I'll stay at the back with my head down as usual :D :na:

Bill, this sounds like a cop out to me. :rolleyes: I thought you were made of sterner stuff.:wink:

Agree wholeheartedly with Amir. Great social dancing is totally different to great competition dancing. We did a similar workshop with Amir last year and it proved to be masses of help - I reckon it was this that got us placings at 2 comps last year!:cheers:

M

Simon r
13th-January-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi Amir cant open up on to that domain were and when are you doing this class would love to come
i would love to share my tips but i am always just bricking it so my tip is make sure you go to toilet:sorry

Bill
13th-January-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mary
Agree wholeheartedly with Amir. Great social dancing is totally different to great competition dancing. We did a similar workshop with Amir last year and it proved to be masses of help - I reckon it was this that got us placings at 2 comps last year!:cheers:

M

In that case you can teach me all you know next month at the BB :na:

Unfortunately neither Fran nor I are good competition dancers and although we could learn a lot from people like Amir we aren't really competitive enough so don't always enjoy the experience anyway.

Always open to helpful suggestions though :wink: :D

Divissima
13th-January-2004, 02:46 PM
TwK and I went to a workshop along similar lines with Amir last year - must have been the same as the one Mary and Greg went to. It was very interesting - and highly relevant. It certainly helped us do well last year.

Mary
13th-January-2004, 04:07 PM
In that case you can teach me all you know next month at the BB :na:

Always open to helpful suggestions though

:wink: :D

Nah mate. We're up against you at Blackpool. :na: Unless you can promise me more dances than you could ever hope to repay!!!:wink: :kiss:

M

Chris
13th-January-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Simon r
Hi Amir cant open up on to that domain were and when are you doing this class would love to come

The address didn't come out on Amir's original post - it should be
www.fusiondance.co.uk

(just miss off the last stop)

Andy McGregor
13th-January-2004, 06:39 PM
I can't come on the workshop:tears:

It's half-term so I'll be skiing with the kids:waycool:

How about running another one, or maybe offering a video of this one?

Jive Brummie
13th-January-2004, 07:44 PM
In the few competitions FC and I have done, I've found the best thing to be is relaxed...:sick:

I know this is easier said than done, especially if you want to do well or people are expectant.....but i think it really does help.

When I'm on the comp' floor I just think that I'm here now so there's no point stressing out and even if I fall 'a over t' then at least it will be funny....not sure FC would agree with that mind.

I'm also a firm believer that if you practice enough you'll go onto the floor with an air of confidence . And confidence in your own ability is a good thing. If you know what you're doing then that's less to worry about.:waycool:

Oh, and keep smiling. A big cheesy grin can get you out of a lot of scrapes......and has done for me:D :D

James.........:cheers:

Bill
14th-January-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
In the few competitions FC and I have done, I've found the best thing to be is relaxed...:sick:

I'm also a firm believer that if you practice enough you'll go onto the floor with an air of confidence . And confidence in your own ability is a good thing. If you know what you're doing then that's less to worry about.:waycool:

Oh, and keep smiling. A big cheesy grin can get you out of a lot of scrapes......and has done for me:D :D

James.........:cheers:

Great advice James .....................and it obviously worked for the two of you.

Unfortunately I find it difficult to relax in a comp and have never managed the 'cheesy grin' :rolleyes: Practice is essential which is why I get frustrated at times and wonder why we do comps when Fran and I only manage to practice for about 3 weeks leading up to one and have a handful of dances once a fortnight or once a month. Not an excuse for being so bad in comps but just the reality of what happens if you don't practice - whether it's dancing or anything else.

ps really looking forward to seeing you two at Blackpool :cheers: :D

Lindsay
14th-January-2004, 02:00 PM
And for Scottish forumites, Amir is teaching a special class in Edinburgh on competition technique.... INFO (http://boogie.webspace.fish.co.uk/amir.htm) :D

RobC
14th-January-2004, 03:33 PM
Being a competition veteran (both Ballroom and MJ), the best advice I can offer is:

1. Put as much practise time in before the event as possible, preferrably in a studio on your own - not during a freestyle evening, and if possible find a studio with mirrors, or video yourself, or ask a friend to go along and give feedback.

2. Prepare everything you need for the day (costume etc) well beforehand, so that you aren't stressing about it at the last minute.

3. The day before the competition, stop. Do nothing. Don't even think about dancing. Go to bed early and get a good nights sleep and chill.

4. On the day of the competition, (assuming you have followed 2 and have already packed your bag with everything you need) allow plenty of time to wake up / have breakfast etc, turn up at the venue with plenty of time to spare (so that you aren't getting stressed by running late).

5. If you are feeling nervous, or start getting stressed about your competition heat, don't stand there watching all the heats dance before you, you are only going to worry more and get stressed. Go outside to the corridor, or go to the back of the room and face away from the dancers, or ..... just as long as it takes your mind off the dancing - but make sure that you are still in ear-shot of the competition so that you can hear your heat being called !!

The overall message here is CHILL. It is not a life or death situation, so whether you are entering for fun, or are serious about winning, take it easy, and if you miss a lead, hand or whatever while dancing, it's not the end of the world - chances are that the judges won't have seen it anyway :wink:

Rob

Simon r
14th-January-2004, 03:36 PM
nice words rob does it work for you:D

RobC
14th-January-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Simon r
nice words rob does it work for you:D
Well I don't get nervous at competitions anymore (I used to when I first started ballroom competitions 12 years ago), usually remember to throw in most of the moves we have practised (assuming I get the right music to put the moves to), and the proof of the pudding is that I usually make it through to the finals (came 4th at Blackpool last year) :waycool:

Rob

Andy McGregor
14th-January-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by RobC
Well I don't get nervous at competitions anymore (I used to when I first started ballroom competitions 12 years ago), usually remember to throw in most of the moves we have practised (assuming I get the right music to put the moves to), and the proof of the pudding is that I usually make it through to the finals (came 4th at Blackpool last year) :waycool:

Rob

Just think how you could have done if you'd entered with a woman:devil:

JamesGeary
14th-January-2004, 05:49 PM
Would anyone be interested adding some lambada style to their jive? If enough people are interested I'll run a workshop.

That would mean body ripples, hoola-hoop motion, and other tricky movements.

I personally always want to learn interesting style rather than moves. I don't know how many other peole look at things the same way though. Would that sort of thing be too challenging for most people? Most people do seem to want workshops with just more moves?

RobC
14th-January-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Just think how you could have done if you'd entered with a woman:devil:
No Andy, that was the lack of practise we had that let us down - just think, if we had done more than 2 x 20 mins practise sessions then Kerrin would have had a run for his money .... :waycool:

(Also came 5th in the intermediate with my usual partner anyway)

Rob

Bill
14th-January-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
And for Scottish forumites, Amir is teaching a special class in Edinburgh on competition technique.... INFO (http://boogie.webspace.fish.co.uk/amir.htm) :D

Unfortunately that's my next weekend workshop and can't make it :tears: :sick: . You couldn't just film and give it to me could you:rolleyes:

Hope to make the party at least. maybe I can send Fran to take notes :na:

Andy McGregor
14th-January-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by RobC
No Andy, that was the lack of practise we had that let us down - just think, if we had done more than 2 x 20 mins practise sessions then Kerrin would have had a run for his money .... :waycool: Rob

At least we weren't nervous:waycool:

Tiggerbabe
14th-January-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by JamesGeary

I'd love to James, but could you come up here to do it? :wink: :kiss:

TheTramp
15th-January-2004, 12:24 AM
I think that the easiest way to win competitions, is to take out the opposition.

Hence, expect a run of 'accidents' in the weeks now leading up to Blackpool!!! :wink:

Steve

Ste
15th-January-2004, 12:34 AM
Must admit James....moving slightly off the subject...I was watching some old footage of you the other night and it was sensational. It reminded me of the time you taught me some moves at Baden Powell House which blew me away.

Watching the old stuff of you and Hailey reminded me of that style you had which I still cannot emulate. You are on a different level mate to allmost all advanced dancers I have ever seen in competition.

Are you into Lambada now? Have you seen Uta?

And Amir, you are becoming as marketing orientated as Mr N.

JamesGeary
15th-January-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks Ste. Yes I have been for a while, its a much more stylised type of dance, which is really good for making a nice visual effect, in a way MJ traditionally isn't. Uta was helping teach lambada at Mayfair for a while (not with me!). She's very good.

And Amir, yes of course he is, teaching dance is his full time job these days, and he's becoming as successful as MrN too. :wink:

When people say they can't emulate they always mean the movement not the moves. But a person should be able to teach movement the same way they were taught. And I freely admit everything I ever learnt about body movement was from latin dancing. So I should be able to teach other people movement just by replicating the way I was taught.

My only concern is that maybe most people don't have the tenacity to learn things that precise. I think its great, but I'm kind of OTT in my interest in dancing.

Bill
16th-January-2004, 10:52 AM
But a person should be able to teach movement the same way they were taught. And I freely admit everything I ever learnt about body movement was from latin dancing. So I should be able to teach other people movement just by replicating the way I was taught.

A 'teacher' can teach and demonstrate moves and as you say James show how the move should be done but most of us can replicate the move but not necessarily the movement or style ( or is that a different thing???).

I think the reason some dancers are so good is that they work hard and have some 'natural' talent (see thread on teachers !!) but I can try and copy the moves demonstrated by the 'top' male dancers but it won't look like them because I don't have their ability, commitment or their body.

In some ways that can be a good thing because we don't want everyone to dance in the same way but at least you can pass on specific moves so that dancers can take them away and 'perosnalise' them.

JamesGeary
16th-January-2004, 12:53 PM

...most of us can replicate the move but not necessarily the movement or style.
...I can try and copy the moves demonstrated by the 'top' male dancers but it won't look like them...

No way. You are underselling yourself. You'll be learning lots from people without even realising it. Even without specific style instruction almost everyone picks up lots of style from their teacher / favourite person to watch. Thats why you can easily pick out who people have been doing lessons with. With specific style instruction the process is much faster. I've heard you're a great dancer so you have probably been copying styles faster than most people. Someone who is not you could probably tell you.

...you can pass on specific moves so that dancers can take them away and 'perosnalise' them.

I think the ultimate way to personalise a move is to imprint it with a cool style & attitude. I think there are stacks of cool styles (even in other types of dancing) out there just waiting to be found and incorporated into people's dancing. I love looking around trying to see interesting stuff. Even some complete beginners have a move or movement they do in an interesting way. So grab it and have a go.

You try the stuff, it works for you, you take it. It doesn't work for you, you discard it and try another thing. Personalisation is discovering what your body likes and feels right for you. (for me anyway). And if that means snatching up styles from around you, then life's a buffet!

TheTramp
16th-January-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
(I still dread the day when I notice myself dancing on video at a Camber weekend or something - I'm not sure I really want to know what I look like!) Trust me Rachel. You have nothing at all to worry about on that score.

I was watching you and Marc dance together from the stage when I was DJing. And you looked fab. In fact. I wish I'd video'd it, just to see if I could do some of Marc's moves.

Steve

Rachel
16th-January-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Trust me Rachel. You have nothing at all to worry about on that score.

I was watching you and Marc dance together from the stage when I was DJing. And you looked fab. In fact. I wish I'd video'd it, just to see if I could do some of Marc's moves.

Steve Aw - thank you!! I think those were our best ever dances together. Just cos we were on such a high, and I was losing my shyness and inhibitions, and we were just being completely silly and messing around. (I'd also had several drinks!)

(Look forward to seeing you at Southport, if not sooner - I loved our Camber dances - especially on the Friday. I'm getting less nervous dancing with you now. Had you noticed?)
R.

TheTramp
16th-January-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Aw - thank you!! I think those were our best ever dances together. Just cos we were on such a high, and I was losing my shyness and inhibitions, and we were just being completely silly and messing around. (I'd also had several drinks!)

(Look forward to seeing you at Southport, if not sooner - I loved our Camber dances - especially on the Friday. I'm getting less nervous dancing with you now. Had you noticed?)
R. No problem. Just being honest....

Truth be told, I had never noticed you being nervous when dancing with me. You must have hidden it well.

Can't think why you would be though. I'm not really that scary! :na:

Steve

Yogi_Bear
17th-January-2004, 12:32 AM
Would anyone be interested adding some lambada style to their jive? If enough people are interested I'll run a workshop.

I personally always want to learn interesting style rather than moves. I don't know how many other peole look at things the same way though. Would that sort of thing be too challenging for most people? Most people do seem to want workshops with just more moves?

Yes, I would much rather learn style than more and more moves. I some dance styles and with some teachers you may get more emphasis on style and musicality and so on. But with most of the modern jive classes the standard intermediate lesson is just the latest (more and more complicated ) moves when what I'm looking for is how to take a few simple moves and learn how to use them to better effect and how to adapt them to the music. Why should all of this have to be left to specialist workshops?

Gadget
18th-January-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Yogi_Bear
... what I'm looking for is how to take a few simple moves and learn how to use them to better effect and how to adapt them to the music. Why should all of this have to be left to specialist workshops?
Because the "intermediate" classes cater for those who have just made it up from "beginner" as well as those who could be classed as "advanced". I think that you have to be very comfortable with the beginner moves before you can try introducing "style" elements into it - otherwise I think it would confuse the learning of the "building blocks" that the rest of your dance is built from.