PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate classes

Jon L
8th-January-2004, 10:32 PM
For some reason - people like Will have said par example that I have a very large repertoire of moves in my brain - it's illogical in Mr. Spocks words! - :confused: whether I have the style to match is another matter!

The only thing that is helpful for the guys, is to try and remember what an action does i.e. turing the hand will make the lady do this. If you can do that, then you can create hundreds of different moves and have a lot of fun.

As regards writing moves down, I used to do that when I was still 'learning' things out of intermediate classes. Nowadays I don't unless it's very unusual. For example Viktor did one at Hipsters a few weeks back that I thought was fantastic so I wrote it down. Nigel's classes do this as well does this for me

Sometimes I will watch a video from a class and pratice it on a friend of mine to try and get it right

Jon L
8th-January-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Never said I did it for all my moves ..... was looking back over my teach list for the last two months ... at least 25% I made up in the preceeding 24 hours and I have NO idea what the moves were now.

IMHO - teachers would do well to write down the routine from the previous weeks routine down and store it away.

This is because some people will try and practice it and then come back to the teacher the following week and ask about the routine. When I have done this on more than one occasion the teacher will has said something like "What on earth did I teach last week?!"

ChrisA
8th-January-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Jon L
I used to do that when I was still 'learning' things out of intermediate classes.
I still learn loads of things in intermediate classes.

Chris

Gus
8th-January-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA

Chris

So do I ... often when I'm teaching them :sick: Its worrying how often you can get caught out by the link between moves taking your (or more usualy the ladies) momentum the wrong way.

As regards writing moves down, I used to do that when I was still 'learning' things out of intermediate classes. Nowadays I don't unless it's very unusual.

Jon L

You're doing better than me then pal! There are 450+ Ceroc moves .... which I had to give back when I left CTA:tears: ... I've now got the Blitz file of about 400 moves .... there about 40 or so moves I developed for various workshops, another 100 or so from workshops I've hosted by Viktor, Nigel etc ... probabaly about another 50 or so I've seen people at the club show me/make up by accident ...... etc. etc. .... how are you supposed to log all those????

I use the Ceroc notation (OK ... the notation style that Ceroc HQ introduced to me which was from an unknown and uncredited source) and find it excellent ... but its timeconsuming and doesnt alwys capture the essence of the move. There is no substitute to a video shown from differnt angles complete with a 'talk through'.

Jon L
9th-January-2004, 04:19 AM

Chris

Oh sure if you go somewhere like Hipsters with Viktor and Nigel you will they teach stuff that is pretty good. However I can go to a bog standard ceroc night and not remember any of the moves because it's relatively easy to do and doesn't challenge me.

ChrisA
9th-January-2004, 10:19 AM
However I can go to a bog standard ceroc night and not remember any of the moves because it's relatively easy to do and doesn't challenge me.
I find there is often plenty to learn even in bog standard Ceroc beginners classes.

And, in fact, when I do Viktor's Wednesday intermediate class, which is usually a cut down version of his Tuesday class at Bisley, I find I learn more that's of use the second time, despite there being nothing new.

Chris

Andy McGregor
9th-January-2004, 11:39 AM
I find there is often plenty to learn even in bog standard Ceroc beginners classes.

I learn from these classes too. But what I learn is not what is being taught. I learn about the way things work, the mechanics of the interface between partners, how to lead beginners better, I practice my Lily footwork in beginners lessons and I suppose I learn a bit about myself too.

In most intermediate lessons the moves are, to me, incidental. They are the framework for what I'm learning. But I'm still learning new moves most weeks - or to be accurate, I'm being taught new moves every week, most of the time I don't learn them because I don't remember them - old age and I'm not even as old as LL!

Maybe I should bring my anorak and start writing the moves down in the notebook that must be hiding in the pocket:wink: