PDA

View Full Version : Swingin the Blues

Lounge Lizard
5th-January-2004, 03:36 PM
Swingin the Blues - Chiswick Town Hall - 24t Jan

Another thread was discussing a separate blues room at Hipsters Big Fat Friday - this is what happens at Swingin the blues.
Chiswick Town hall (Great venue but no regular dances there Why?) has two halls, main hall has JB all night with modern jive music plus there is a blues room in the adjoining dance hall, including a rare DJ set from Nigel.

Also there is an all day Blues workshop with N & N & Simon Selmon

Peter

Lounge Lizard
22nd-January-2004, 12:41 AM
well this died a death last time round so anybody going this Saturday
peter

ChrisA
22nd-January-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
well this died a death last time round so anybody going this Saturday
peter
I'll be at the dance in the evening, not at the workshop.

Chris

stompin' phil
22nd-January-2004, 12:58 AM
so anybody going this Saturday
peter

I went last year and had a good time but i have my
children this weekend so it's a pizza and a video
from Blockbusters as well as a couple of chilled bottles
of white wine.

Chicklet
22nd-January-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by stompin' phil
but i have my children this weekend so it's a pizza and a video
of white wine.

well that'll sent them to sleep sharpish and you can go out!!!!:waycool:

Chris
22nd-January-2004, 10:14 AM
Enjoy it you lucky lot!

For anyone that's unsure (correct me if I'm wrong) - it's still the only dedicated blues freestyle room of the whole calendar (all blues music, no swing, no balboa-blues, low lighting, lots of blues dancers) and being blues you can always find a way to learn from the workshops even if you've been to them for several years running.

Sadly I just can't get there this year :tears:

Pammy
22nd-January-2004, 10:16 AM
Hills and I may well pop along in the evening for the odd grince or two. :grin:

Lounge Lizard
22nd-January-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Enjoy it you lucky lot!

For anyone that's unsure (correct me if I'm wrong) - it's still the only dedicated blues freestyle room of the whole calendar (all blues music, no swing, no balboa-blues, low lighting, lots of blues dancers) and being blues you can always find a way to learn from the workshops even if you've been to them for several years running.

Sadly I just can't get there this year :tears:
This is the main event of the year, but there are others....

There is another blues night that will be very simmilar to the blues room at swingin the blues.

The 2nd Wrest Park ‘Jook Joint’ Dance Party
Wrest Park, Silsoe Mid-Bedfordshire (directions with tickets)
Saturday 28Th Feb 2004

Bout time Scotland had a blues night.

peter

Chris
22nd-January-2004, 11:03 AM
. . . did anyone else think LL said that a bit too quietly . . . ? (the bit about Scotland)

Jon
22nd-January-2004, 01:01 PM
I'll be there

sarahw31
22nd-January-2004, 01:43 PM
Me too! Although sadly only for the evening dance :sad:

No places left for the workshop :sad:

Lounge Lizard
22nd-January-2004, 02:40 PM
Please come and say hi.... I often go to dances then find forum members I have never met were there.

Dance Demon
22nd-January-2004, 06:12 PM

Bout time Scotland had a blues night.
peter

Last hour at Route 66 is very bluesy Peter.....ask Bill or Trampy:wink:

TheTramp
22nd-January-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Last hour at Route 66 is very bluesy Peter.....ask Bill or Trampy:wink: It is indeed.

With a few tracks that I don't have as well. Which is nice, being able to dance to a few different things :D

Steve

Gus
22nd-January-2004, 06:31 PM

Chiswick Town hall (Great venue but no regular dances there Why?) has two halls, main hall has JB all night with modern jive music plus there is a blues room in the adjoining dance hall, including a rare DJ set from Nigel.

This used to be the venue for Dance Crazy (Chris Vessey's outfit ... the reason I got into Ceroc in the first place). Think he's now retired ... and with all the competition in London .. maybe its no longer viable.

Emma
22nd-January-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Chris Vessey's outfit ... the reason I got into Ceroc in the first place Desperately off topic (someone send for a moderator!) but...Gus...you got into Ceroc because of someone's outfit??? Wow! :waycool:

stompin' phil
22nd-January-2004, 07:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by stompin' phil
but i have my children this weekend so it's a pizza and a video
of white wine.

Originally posted by Chicklet
well that'll sent them to sleep sharpish and you can go out!!!!:waycool:

I remember the story about a German couple who gave their new born baby a tot of whisky in her milk when feeding to keep her quiet and put her to sleep!!

The German Social Services worked out that the baby had drunk over 4 bottles of Whiskey in the first 6 months of it's life.!!!!!

Scary

Yogi_Bear
23rd-January-2004, 12:03 AM
Another of Nigel and Nina's many itinerant blues workshops will be held a week on Saturday (31 Jan) at Oxford - details from Coralie at
www.jiveplus.com
I will be there.:cheers:

But not at chiswick this weekend....

Graham W
23rd-January-2004, 01:07 PM
Ill be there..

G

Geordieed
23rd-January-2004, 03:51 PM
:cheers: Can't wait...

Jon L
23rd-January-2004, 04:35 PM
see you in the evening :cheers:

Lounge Lizard
25th-January-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi, Great to see you last night Jon, Jane, Chris etc.
I had a great time, wish it was more than once a year tho.
Both rooms were buzzing from the start and well done to Nigel, Nina, JB & Simon

Next Blues events (or events that include blues dancing) that I am aware off.

Route 66 details via dance Demon

28th Feb Silsoe (nr. Luton)

27th 28th March - Stompin in Brighton weekender

24th 25th April - Camber weekender

14th 15th May - Southport weekender

any more please let us know

sarahw31
26th-January-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi, I'd just like to say that I too had a fantastic time at 'Swinging the Blues'.

Even though I didn't manage to get a place for the day-time workshops :sad: it was still worth the drive down for the great dancing in the evening.

It was lovely to meet JonL again, thank you for the lovely dance, and thankyou LL for the super music :)

Jon L
26th-January-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by sarahw31
Hi, I'd just like to say that I too had a fantastic time at 'Swinging the Blues'.

Even though I didn't manage to get a place for the day-time workshops :sad: it was still worth the drive down for the great dancing in the evening.

It was lovely to meet JonL again, thank you for the lovely dance, and thankyou LL for the super music :)

Sarah - my pleasure :)

It was a nice end to Saturday - I had been with friends out in Essex for the day, so it was nice to drive around the North Circular and then stop at Chiswick on the way home.

Good to see some other folk who I know there.

Geordieed
27th-January-2004, 09:52 AM
Sarah I see that you are from Northumberland. It is nice to see people down from that part of the world. Next time you are around London for an event let me know. It would be lovely to see someone from home. The North East is where I started dancing and have some wonderful memories of the people I got to know and used to dance with. Have you tried out any classes with Alex and Phil. Ann in Newcastle also has a good crowd up there.

sarahw31
27th-January-2004, 09:58 AM
Hi Geordieed
I take it you're now down South then??
I started dancing at Ann's venue in Newcastle, but yes, I do also go to Mike's venue in Middlesbrough where Phil teaches - I love his style! Will let you know when I'm next down - are you going to Camber Sands?? :cheers:

TheTramp
27th-January-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi Geordieed
I take it you're now down South then??
I started dancing at Ann's venue in Newcastle, but yes, I do also go to Mike's venue in Middlesbrough where Phil teaches - I love his style! Will let you know when I'm next down - are you going to Camber Sands?? :cheers: Does this mean that you'll be at Anns dance on the 7th February then Sarah??

I'll be coming down to that. Look forward to meeting you if you are.

Steve

sarahw31
27th-January-2004, 10:45 AM
Yes Steve I'll be there.
I'll be the one grinning at you like an idiot ( I did dance with you at Bognor, and you suggested that I try smiling, but I was concentrating too much....:sick: ) BUT I've been practising, so hopefully won't look quite so 'scary' :what:
Look forward to seeing you :cheers:

Geordieed
27th-January-2004, 10:49 AM
Hello again,

Steve was trying to get me to go up but I have double booked. Say hello to Phil and is wife Alex for me next time you see them. I am not sure about Camber. Are you planning any other trips to any events coming up...

TheTramp
27th-January-2004, 12:44 PM
Yes Steve I'll be there.
I'll be the one grinning at you like an idiot ( I did dance with you at Bognor, and you suggested that I try smiling, but I was concentrating too much....:sick: ) BUT I've been practising, so hopefully won't look quite so 'scary' :what:
Look forward to seeing you :cheers: Oops. Sorry.

I'll look forward to seeing you on the 7th then :D

Steve

Lounge Lizard
18th-January-2006, 07:22 PM
it is that time of year again
who is going to Chiswick on 28th

if you are there I will be in the blues room most of the night, please come and say hi, especialy as this is one of the few MJ events I am going to in 2006

peter

Shaz
18th-January-2006, 07:31 PM
it is that time of year again
who is going to Chiswick on 28th..........
Hammersmith for me :clap: :yeah: :clap:

Clive Long
18th-January-2006, 07:38 PM
Hammersmith ... Chiswick Blues

Hmmmmm ...... tough call. :whistle:

Chiswick by a nose (well a furlong, a track, whatever).

Nothing personal Shaz - just Hammersmith "lacks" a certain something for me: space, courtesy, danceable music ...

Clive

Cruella
18th-January-2006, 07:54 PM

Hmmmmm ...... tough call. :whistle:

Chiswick by a nose (well a furlong, a track, whatever).

Nothing personal Shaz - just Hammersmith "lacks" a certain something for me: space, courtesy, danceable music ...

Clive
Hammersmith will have lots of nice dancers though, as it is the Ceroc teachers update weekend. These clashed last year too, i had a great tme at Hammersmith. This year i'm going to Chiswick (just the evening) as i've not been to this before. Do we need to prebook or can you just turn up?

Minnie M
18th-January-2006, 09:15 PM

I'm going to Gt.Bookham - after hearing John Ford (aka Swingingbee) in the Bognor swing/blues room - I can't wait to hear more :worthy: :clap: :worthy:

Paul F
18th-January-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm going to Gt.Bookham - after hearing John Ford (aka Swingingbee) in the Bognor swing/blues room - I can't wait to hear more :worthy: :clap: :worthy:

I'll be there too :clap: Well, thats if I get my a**e into gear and email John to book a place.

Shame it clashes with Chiswick as that sounds good too.

Dizzy
18th-January-2006, 11:08 PM
I'll be at Chiswick this year to do the workshop and evening. :clap: :clap:

Should be good, really looking forward to it.

Dizzy
18th-January-2006, 11:26 PM
This year i'm going to Chiswick (just the evening) as i've not been to this before. Do we need to prebook or can you just turn up?

I have prebooked with Nina. Information is on this website:
http://www.swingdanceuk.com/caledar_f.htm

Almost an Angel
19th-January-2006, 03:36 PM
I'll be there for the evening only, can't make the daytime.

Can't wait. Anyone want to book some dances???
I'll be holed up in the Blues Room.

Angel xxx

Northants Girly
19th-January-2006, 03:54 PM
I'll be at Chiswick this year to do the workshop and evening. :clap: :clap:
Brilliant! :clap: - me n Matt are going too

See you there! :D

tsh
19th-January-2006, 03:56 PM
Workshop and evening for me...

Sean

Clive Long
19th-January-2006, 04:00 PM
The published schedule for the Swingin the Blues day is

Workshops (12 - 5pm)

The Evening (8pm - midnight)

So 3 hours to fill.

Does anyone want to go to eat say 6pm to 7:30pm at a local pizzeria or whatever? If anyone is going just to the evening event why not come along to eat before the dance? No vast meal - just a rare opportunity to exchange a few more words than "Would you like to dance?".

What I know of Chiswick is that it has the highest density of restaurants and Estate Agents in London - on a par with Ealing and Clapham IIRC.

What's the car parking like around the Town Hall on a Saturday?

Anyone want a lift from Finchley / Whetstone / Woodside Park?

Clive

Chef
19th-January-2006, 04:01 PM
Dawn and I will be there for the workshops and evening and am looking forward to seeing you all.

BTW - Mr Par did his first blues lessons last week and seems smitten by the dance. I just can't believe it is the first time that he has done it knowing his liking for the slow and smooth music of FL and Jango. Way to go. There will be no stopping him now.

Northants Girly
19th-January-2006, 04:04 PM
So 3 hours to fill. Does anyone want to go to eat say 6pm to 7:30pm at a local pizzeria or whatever?
CliveGood idea Clive - but I'll need to find a shower inbetween the workshop and evening :blush: so will let you know!

Going to find a map - where is Chisick anyway? :confused:

Dizzy
19th-January-2006, 04:09 PM
Going to find a map - where is Chiswick anyway? :confused:

West London - near Hammersmith

Clive Long
19th-January-2006, 04:10 PM
but I'll need to find a shower in between the workshop and evening :blush: so will let you know!
Of course! When you find one - let me know too - I have had problems in that "department" in the past.

Going to find a map - where is (sic) Chisick anyway? :confused:
Chiswick. West London. Dead posh & pricey. 10 to 15 mins driving (depending on traffic) from intersection of M4 and North Circular Road. Edit: As Dizzy wrote, about 1 mile from Hammersmith Town Hall.

Glad to be of service.

CRL

senorita
19th-January-2006, 04:13 PM
Hammersmith will have lots of nice dancers though, as it is the Ceroc teachers update weekend. These clashed last year too, i had a great tme at Hammersmith. This year i'm going to Chiswick (just the evening) as i've not been to this before. Do we need to prebook or can you just turn up?

Hmmm was going to Chiswick this year :drool: as went two years ago and had lots of fun, last year I went to Hammersmith and didnt have fun..was too ruthless :mad::sad:

But a friend is coming all the way from France to Hammersmith and wants to see me and I want to see her too :hug: .
But/Although most of my friends are going to Chiswick.
and I only want to venture to one or the other..

what should I do :eek: :rolleyes:
chiswick or hammersmith
chiswick or hammersmith
chiswick or hammersmith

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Northants Girly
19th-January-2006, 04:15 PM
chiswick or hammersmith
chiswick or hammersmith
chiswick or hammersmith

Chiswick :clap:

Cruella
19th-January-2006, 07:06 PM
Hmmm was going to Chiswick this year :drool: as went two years ago and had lots of fun, last year I went to Hammersmith and didnt have fun..was too ruthless :mad::sad:

But a friend is coming all the way from France to Hammersmith and wants to see me and I want to see her too :hug: .
But/Although most of my friends are going to Chiswick.
and I only want to venture to one or the other..

chiswick or hammersmith
chiswick or hammersmith
chiswick or hammersmith

Tell your friend to come to Chiswick too.:flower:

David Bailey
19th-January-2006, 08:57 PM
Chiswick. West London. Dead posh & pricey. 10 to 15 mins driving (depending on traffic) from intersection of M4 and North Circular Road. Edit: As Dizzy wrote, about 1 mile from Hammersmith Town Hall.

And, where I work, strangely enough - just opposite the Town Hall.
I'd offer you the use of my work showers, if it were a workday :)

However, I do know loads of restaurants around there - there are dozens of good ones. For example, the best fish restaurant in the area is Fish Hook (used to be called Fish Hoek), but it's a bit pricey. On the other hand, the Libation French wine bar / cafe is lovely and inexpensive. Let me know your preferences and I'll send you some details

Parking is controlled up until 6.30pm, it's a real bugger to park there in the day. If you're only there for a couple of hours, there's a local Sainsbury's that allows up to 2 hours free parking, but that's probably not much help.

There's free parking over the other side of the A4, but that's about 10 mins walk.

Here's A good Chiswick community website (http://www.chiswickw4.com/).

And here's the actual event information (http://www.swingdanceuk.com/calendar.htm#Blues)

All I can say is, thank goodness they're not having a "swing & blues" room :sick:

Hammersmith will have lots of nice dancers though, as it is the Ceroc teachers update weekend.
Zip mouth.
Zip mouth.
Zip mouth.
:innocent:

senorita
20th-January-2006, 11:41 AM
Tell your friend to come to Chiswick too.:flower:

She is a teacher doing the teachers update.
I will ask if she fancy's doing the eve at chiswick...
:flower:

senorita
20th-January-2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=DavidJames]And, where I work, strangely enough - just opposite the Town Hall.
I'd offer you the use of my work showers, if it were a workday :)

However, I do know loads of restaurants around there - there are dozens of good ones. For example, the best fish restaurant in the area is Fish Hook (used to be called Fish Hoek), but it's a bit pricey. On the other hand, the Libation French wine bar / cafe is lovely and inexpensive. Let me know your preferences and I'll send you some details

So I take it dinner is on you :D :yum:

David Bailey
20th-January-2006, 11:47 AM
So I take it dinner is on you :D :yum: [/B]
Well, if I were going... I'm still firmly fence-sitting; blimey, that's more than a week away you know :eek:

senorita
20th-January-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, if I were going... I'm still firmly fence-sitting; blimey, that's more than a week away you know :eek:

one week...hmm this Gives you enough time to book a very large table for some lovely forumites that your gonna invite and treat to a lovely expensive fish dish :D Let me know how you get on and I'll invite some lovely scottish friends down too :wink:
glass of white wine with my meal please sir James :)
:flower:

tsh
23rd-January-2006, 12:58 PM
Does anyone want to go to eat say 6pm to 7:30pm at a local pizzeria or whatever? If anyone is going just to the evening event why not come along to eat before the dance? No vast meal - just a rare opportunity to exchange a few more words than "Would you like to dance?".

Yep - I'd be up for that.

Sean

senorita
23rd-January-2006, 01:00 PM
Yep - I'd be up for that.

Sean

Me too :nice:

Northants Girly
23rd-January-2006, 01:02 PM
Me too :nice:Thought you were going to Hammersmith? :whistle:

senorita
23rd-January-2006, 03:47 PM
Thought you were going to Hammersmith? :whistle:

yes I am. but still need to eat something..:whistle: :yum:

Barry Shnikov
24th-January-2006, 12:49 AM
Going to find a map - where is Chisick anyway? :confused:
Not sure, but it always seems to be flying over things in traffic reports.

Clive Long
24th-January-2006, 12:56 AM
<< snip >>
On the other hand, the Libation French wine bar / cafe is lovely and inexpensive. Let me know your preferences and I'll send you some details
Libation got the thumbs up from the Very Reverend His Exultant Majesty Baron DavidJames.

So I take it dinner is on you :D :yum:
Funny how you can go off people you haven't yet met.:whistle:

I will do a final head count in a couple of days and reserve a table or two.

Clive

David Bailey
24th-January-2006, 10:14 AM
Libation got the thumbs up from the Very Reverend His Exultant Majesty Baron DavidJames.
Yeah, 'coz that was my quote in the first place wasn't it? :confused:

Strange how I agree with myself so often. :na:

Clive Long
25th-January-2006, 02:50 PM
People for Libation

I suggest we book a table for 6:45pm. This gives people time to "freshen up" in whatever way they can find with the limited facilities available. What are the "washrooms" at Chiswick Town Hall like?

Names declared

NG & Matt
Senorita and friend
tsh
Clive Long

Any others?

Clive

Northants Girly
25th-January-2006, 02:53 PM
I suggest we book a table for 6:45pm.Or even a little bit earlier - so theres chance for our food to go down before we start dancing again??

Clive Long
25th-January-2006, 03:25 PM
Or even a little bit earlier - so theres chance for our food to go down before we start dancing again??
Good point. I was trying to balance enough time for ladies to "make their accommodations" - I can turn myself round in 10 minutes I guess - against enough time at the place to eat and let food go down.

I have tried to call Libation but they don't accept incoming calls. DavidJames is going to go there tomorrow to reserve a table for six for 6:30pm in my name.

Clive

Northants Girly
25th-January-2006, 03:27 PM
Brilliant :clap:

Dizzy
25th-January-2006, 04:09 PM
People for Libation

I suggest we book a table for 6:45pm. This gives people time to "freshen up" in whatever way they can find with the limited facilities available. What are the "washrooms" at Chiswick Town Hall like?

Names declared

NG & Matt
Senorita and friend
tsh
Clive Long

Any others?
Clive

Me and Little Chick'n :clap: :clap:

David Bailey
25th-January-2006, 04:37 PM
I have tried to call Libation but they don't accept incoming calls. DavidJames is going to go there tomorrow to reserve a table for six for 6:30pm in my name.

Ah...

Slight problem, I just popped round there, and it's closed for refurbishment (that explains why they're not answering the phone of course).

Don't panic, I'll sort something out with Clive The Organiser - Chiswick's not exactly short of restaurants.

Clive Long
25th-January-2006, 05:03 PM
<< snip>>
I have tried to call Libation but they don't accept incoming calls.

Clive
Problemette.

Libation is closed for refurbishment (thanks DJ for looking when you were out of the office).

Can those interested (I counted 8) PM me for either:

Tinto (no review found) - Tapas - Chiswick High Road

or

Zizzi (http://www.zizzi.co.uk/zizzimenu.html) - Italian / Pasta / Pizza - Chiswick High Road (probably the cheaper option)

Thanks

Clive

Clive Long
26th-January-2006, 03:41 PM
Table for 8 people booked at Zizzi (http://www.zizzi.co.uk/zizzimenu.html) - Italian / Pasta / Pizza - Chiswick High Road, 6:30pm Sat 28 Jan.

If anyone else wants to come along please just PM me - I'm sure that increasing the numbers will be pretty straightforward.

Cheers ma dears

Clive

Jon Brett
26th-January-2006, 06:56 PM
Just been talking to Nigel.
Apparently he will be taking it in turns with Peter Phillips to DJ the Blues room on Saturday night.........woo hoo!

Despite having worked with him for nearly 10 years I've never heard him DJ as I always tend to be busy elsewhere, but I understand he plays a "Phat" Blues set.

What do other people think of the DJ line up?

Tazmanian Devil
26th-January-2006, 06:57 PM
And me :clap:

Clive Long
26th-January-2006, 11:47 PM
<< snip >>
I'll let you know after I have heard them :whistle:

To be honest, when people complain that DJs are off-form I don't react. I dance to pretty much anything. Subtleties of reading-the-room or playlists (are they good or bad?) are lost on me. I am probably not as musically discriminating as others - or just can't hear as well as them. Sorry Chef - I'm a hopeless case.

Clive

Clive Long
26th-January-2006, 11:55 PM
Table for 8 people booked at Zizzi (http://www.zizzi.co.uk/zizzimenu.html) - Italian / Pasta / Pizza - Chiswick High Road, 6:30pm Sat 28 Jan.

<< cut >>
B*lls up, b*lls up

I just realised the class finishes at 5pm - for some reason I thought 6pm - which is why I suggested restaurant for 6:30pm. Bit too long a wait for food I feel. :blush:

Bear with me darlings.

Those coming along (mainly ladies who can assess how long the nose-powdering will take) can you suggest an earlier time to go the Zizzi's? 6pm? 5:30pm? Suggestions by PM to me please.

CRL

Almost an Angel
27th-January-2006, 10:45 AM
Apparently he will be taking it in turns with Peter Phillips to DJ the Blues room on Saturday night.........woo hoo!

Despite having worked with him for nearly 10 years I've never heard him DJ as I always tend to be busy elsewhere, but I understand he plays a "Phat" Blues set.

:clap: :clap:

A very 'Phat' Blues set, Nigel's Blues sets are one of the highlights of Beach Boogie for me so I'll be looking forward him DJ-ing,

Plus with you in the main room If I want a little breather from blues. I'll be sure to stop by and say hi.

Angel xx

David Bailey
27th-January-2006, 10:59 AM
A very 'Phat' Blues set
Grrrr.... can I just say now that I really really really really hate the use of the word "phat". :mad:

I know, I'm a boring sad old white person, but to quote:
Phat is an adjective to describe approval in hip hop culture. Hence, someone or something that is phat could be cool, rich, entertaining, intelligent, fly or otherwise to be admired.

Unless I'm missing something, Blues-style Modern Jive has little to do with hip hop culture. I could be wrong.

Might I suggest "cool", "rich", or "entertaining"? Or, heck, even "lovely"?

</rant>

Chef
27th-January-2006, 02:38 PM
I am probably not as musically discriminating as others - or just can't hear as well as them. Sorry Chef - I'm a hopeless case.

Clive

It is way too early to give up hope.

I met a young couple on a dance and sail holiday in Antigua whose passion was learning rock and roll dancing. After a few nights of dancing they asked us how we knew what to do to the music and fit the dance to the music. We just said that the music told us what to do. We sat down with an iPod and went through some Elvis and Carl Perkins tracks and pointed out things like the structure of the verses, how you could predidct where the breaks were going to be and how to spot beat 1 of a group of 8, as well as the little musical clues to when a break was going to occur and to when they were going to restart so that you could just *feel* what was going to happen even on tracks you had never heard before.

At the end of an hour he said to me that the tracks I had used have been favourites of his for a decade but he had never listened to them like that before or heard those things in the music before.

I learnt these things from Nigel and Nina (along with so much else), Andy and Rena and Amir and it has enhanced my pleasure of dancing and music. I didn't really notice these things until I had these people get me to take a step backwards from concentrating on the moves and listen to the music without moving.

If this subject becomes more important to you in the future then I feel the teachers mentioned above would be a great help. At the end of the day it is all a matter of personal taste and different things motivate different people.

For me there came a day when I was doing a pretzel and thought "I am really sick of this move" closely followed by "is this all there is?"

ChrisA
27th-January-2006, 02:54 PM

It's pretty unlikely I'll be there this time round, though I might drop in at some point if I can sneak in really late...

But on the occasions I've heard Nigel DJ a blues set it's been well worth being there for. Kinda 'take no prisoners', up in Nelson Rose league I'd say.

Peter rarely puts a foot wrong with blues, either, in my experience.

Is anyone else any good DJing that night? :devil:

Minnie M
27th-January-2006, 03:23 PM
.........Is anyone else any good DJing that night? :devil:
Same night at Bookham John Ford (aka Swingingbee) - he has an great selection of Blues choons, he played some fantastic sets at Bognor this month :worthy: :worthy: there are quite a few WCS dancers going there

Clive Long
27th-January-2006, 04:25 PM
B*lls up, b*lls up
<< and other craven apologies >>
CRL
It will happen from

6pm

Zizzi's 231 Chiswick High Road, London, W4 2DL - Tel: 0208 747 9400
Phew

Clive

WittyBird
27th-January-2006, 08:44 PM
I have 2 tickets available for this event tomorrow for the full day
please pm or call me for details :flower:

WittyBird - Official Ticket Tout

Clive Long
29th-January-2006, 03:19 AM
This morning (yesterday morning?) I was thinking "have I got the right stuff to dance from midday to midnight?" I needn't have worried.

This was my first Simon Selmon class. What a star. He and Taina taught us a lovely dance, the Laminoo (laminate? Loobydoo?). It is just a simple rock step, triple step combo. Simon showed us simple variants, box step, Tango pivot, "walk", sashay, hip roll and a lunge lift. Simple variants to fit the music.

A flowing, complete routine from Nigel and Nina.

Nice to get the chance to chat to some people over dinner - even though Zizzi's took half an hour to get our table ready. Food, when ordered, was prepared speedily and mine was great.

I have to pinch myself to remind myself how fortunate to have access to such fun, well run events. :worthy: Great just sitting out watching the creative leads and beautiful, elegant follows.

Gripe: Did anyone like the rock-and-roll?

Thanks,

Clive

jivecat
29th-January-2006, 12:06 PM
I have to pinch myself to remind myself how fortunate to have access to such fun, well run events. :worthy:

I'm still sulking 'cos I didn't go. Please tell me it was cr*p. :tears: :sick:

David Bailey
29th-January-2006, 12:28 PM
It was... no, sorry, I'd normally be first in the queue to say so, if it was poor, but it was actually very nice.

Good floor, good space, good dancers, mostly good music. Although the funniest moment for me was when the main room music swapped from "Baker Street" straight into "Rock around the clock" - watching rampaging horde of dancers desperate to escape to the Blues Room was amusing.

One gripe - I still don't know what "blues" is, but I seem to be able to fake it somehow. But I know enough not to try to Ceroc to it, so I'd urge all followers to remember that. Also, I'm fairly sure that blues dancing involves more connection than MJ, so again, followers need to work at following.

Hey, I had to whinge about something...

Almost an Angel
30th-January-2006, 11:03 AM

Sorry it wasn't - I had a great night and was as predicted sleazing my way around the blues room, :drool: with some lovely men, very dreamy and OK I admit a few very lovely women too!:wink: I did manage to be persuaded to go through for a few dances in the main hall - thanks guys.

Can't personally report on the classes I'm afraid as I didn't go but from the what people were saying they were very good and well received.

Roll on next year. :clap:

Angel xxx

Jon Brett
30th-January-2006, 01:31 PM
Gripe: Did anyone like the rock-and-roll?
Give me a break man! I played over 4 and a half hours on Saturday (started just before 8pm and finished 12:30am). That's around ninety records. None of them cleared the floor.

I played three rock 'n' roll tunes (runaround sue, all shook up and rock around the clock). All three add up to just 7 minutes out of over 270 minutes total freestyle.

In your defence, however, I'm fully aware that rock 'n' roll is marmite music - people seem to love it or hate it. And with the current trend towards slower music year on year, I only tend to play it if people ask for it. And they did. And more than three times, I can tell you.

Variety is the spice of life as they say.

Lounge Lizard
30th-January-2006, 01:51 PM
Give me a break man! I played over 4 and a half hours on Saturday (started just before 8pm and finished 12:30am). That's around ninety records. None of them cleared the floor.

I played three rock 'n' roll tunes (runaround sue, all shook up and rock around the clock). All three add up to just 7 minutes out of over 270 minutes total freestyle.

In your defence, however, I'm fully aware that rock 'n' roll is marmite music - people seem to love it or hate it. And with the current trend towards slower music year on year, I only tend to play it if people ask for it. And they did. And more than three times, I can tell you.

Variety is the spice of life as they say.Well I liked it (Rock around the Clock) after 3 hours of standing in the Blues room it was my first dance in the main hall and was a great track to dance to - and lots were dancing to it

Surley if there is a venue with TWO dance halls playing music outside the regular MJ norm such as Rock & Roll or faster swing is ok - there are dancers who frequently ask for R&R music at many MJ venues but it is not played because the majority will not like it
At STB the majority had a good alternative in the Blues room, so good on you for playing it JB
peter

TheTramp
30th-January-2006, 05:57 PM
Give me a break man!

Gotta hate it when people remember just one or two tracks out of a whole set, and then come onto the forum to criticise you about them :whistle: