PDA

View Full Version : Big Fat Friday

Andy McGregor
2nd-January-2004, 03:06 PM
Tonight it's Hipsters Big Fat Friday Freestyle - who's going?

Here's the bit from the Jump-n-Jive newsletter.

1) Big Fat Friday Freestyle - Friday 2nd January
We're kicking off the New Year at Hipsters with the monthly "Big Fat Friday Freestyle" on Friday 2nd January.
Nigel & Nina will be taking a special "Jive Masterclass" between 8.30 & 9pm, so if you want to have some personal tips on how to improve your jive style and technique or want to learn the "double twisting prezel armjive move" that you've always wanted to do then now's your chance. Its also an opportunity to come along and do some practice in a great venue with out the
normal pressures of the social scene.
At 9pm Nigel & Nina will be teaching an intermediate plus jive routine, with
some new exciting and challenging moves.
Freestyle from 9.30 until 1am with DJ Jon Brett.
Boogie Woogie team cabaret at 11pm
Doors open at 8pm
Entrance £7
Hipsters Jive Joint, Ealing Town Hall, Ealing Broadway, London W5
www.hipstersjive.co.uk

ChrisA
2nd-January-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Cheers Andy, that reminded me to empty the washing machine :D

Chris

Mary
2nd-January-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Cheers Andy, that reminded me to empty the washing machine :D

Chris

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I always said you were weird!!:devil:

Awww heck Andy - you've gone and told everyone - now they'll all be there and we can't have N & N to ourselves.:tears: :tears: Oh, and don't forget my 'Sters shirt.

Mster

Lory
2nd-January-2004, 06:11 PM

Me :nice:

Sheepman
2nd-January-2004, 06:15 PM
- who's going? I think in this case who's NOT going might be easier!

Don't be late!

Greg

Divissima
2nd-January-2004, 06:18 PM
Can't wait! Getting all excited at the prospect of my first freestyle night of 2004. Looking forward to dancing with everyone :wink:

Lounge Lizard
2nd-January-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I think in this case who's NOT going might be easier!
Greg me

TheTramp
2nd-January-2004, 10:29 PM
I think in this case who's NOT going might be easier!And me :tears:

Steve

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 03:41 AM
I think in this case who's NOT going might be easier!

I very nearly wish I hadn't bothered.

I hate to say it, but despite the wall-to-wall brilliant dancers there, if it's as busy at the next BFFF, I won't be going to the one after that.

Absolutely heaving, it was. JB played a terrific set, but it was just impossible to dance to any of it for most of the evening. A major achievement to get to the end of a track with no injury to oneself or partner.

And, of course, we had the usual bunch of inconsiderate, clueless morons determined to inflict their aerials and floor-level drops on those around them. I actually stopped dancing when some complete f*****t did a dangerous aerial right next to me - I stopped him too with a (very restrained) tap on the shoulder and asked him to tone it down...

Do I sound grumpy? I guess I do, cos I guess I am. I've been a Hipsters regular for more than a year now, but I'm beginning to think that maybe it's too much of a victim of its own success.

Ok, here's the controversial bit: the monthly Fridays need to be ticket only, tickets to be sold only at the Hipsters week nights. Flame away :waycool:

On the plus side, some dances that were pure delight for me, with some of my bestest favourites - thanks and big hugs to them :hug:

Chris

Boomer
3rd-January-2004, 03:55 AM
Maybe Hipsters needs to find a bigger venue? I could be wrong, and quite likely am, but in the terms of my limited understand of economics, there is a demand for Hipsters, that Hipsters at the present venue (it seems) can't supply.

I hear Hackney is good :devil:

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
I hear Hackney is good :devil:
I reckon about 20 of my personal A-list, 8 men and 12 women should head for Bisley on a Tuesday.

You just need to live in West London, Boomster. No pathetic excuses. You know it makes sense, why else does it annoy you so much? :devil:

Boomer
3rd-January-2004, 04:09 AM
...You just need to live in West London, Boomster. No pathetic excuses. You know it makes sense, why else does it annoy you so much? :devil:
Because I live in a void!!!!...Although saying that, Cliff and Penny have a new class starting near Great Porland Street , and I can get there :grin:...I hear it has a sprung-floor and a bar!

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 04:14 AM
Because I live in a void!!!!...Although saying that, Cliff and Penny have a new class starting near Great Porland Street , and I can get there :grin:...I hear it has a sprung-floor and a bar!
Wotdaysatenn?

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 04:15 AM

Sorry to hear that :sad: I was fortunate to have a brilliant time and no injuries

Ok, here's the controversial bit: the monthly Fridays need to be ticket only, tickets to be sold only at the Hipsters week nights.
It could be a good idea to restrict ticket sales but a bit unfair to only sell at Hipsters weekdays for those who have a long trek and may not always manage to get there on weekdays:sad: An alternative would be via the jivetime website.

On the plus side, some dances that were pure delight for me, with some of my bestest favourites - thanks and big hugs to them :hug:
Ditto. I was fortunate to dance with Amir, David, Viktor and Andy (swoon, swoon!) and managed to grab Greg, Andy McG,Tony and quite a few other really good dancers whose names I don't know. Think I'll have sweet dreams tonight!
:wink:

Boomer
3rd-January-2004, 04:15 AM
Wotdaysatenn?
Tuesday :devil:

TheTramp
3rd-January-2004, 04:16 AM
Ok, here's the controversial bit: the monthly Fridays need to be ticket only, tickets to be sold only at the Hipsters week nights. Flame away :waycool:
I don't think that's particularly controversial....

If it's overcrowded, then ticketing should be the only way to go.

I guess I'm not so sure about the only selling tickets at Hipsters. I suppose that it is nice to reward the people who go, week in, week out. On the other hand, for people who are coming up to London for the weekend, or for whom it's too far to go on a weekday night, or who can't make it for whatever other reason on the Tuesday and Wednesday nights, it's a little unfair. There ought to be allowances made for them, and the opportunity should be there to buy tickets in advance.

Steve

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 04:20 AM
I reckon about 20 of my personal A-list, 8 men and 12 women should head for Bisley on a Tuesday.

It would be such a shame for the rest of us though to hive off lots of the talent to a more inaccessible place :sad:

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
On the other hand, for people who are coming up to London for the weekend, or for whom it's too far to go on a weekday night, or who can't make it for whatever other reason on the Tuesday and Wednesday nights, it's a little unfair. There ought to be allowances made for them, and the opportunity should be there to buy tickets in advance.

You think these people don't know any Hipsters regulars who'd get 'em a ticket?

I mean, I'd even get you one :what:

:waycool: :devil:

TheTramp
3rd-January-2004, 04:23 AM
You think these people don't know any Hipsters regulars who'd get 'em a ticket?

I mean, I'd even get you one :what: You're too kind.

And yes. I'm talking about people coming up from places like Bristol, or Brighton (who don't know Andy (I'm sure there are some people)), or down from the Midlands, or Birmingham, or Manchester etc. who aren't on the forum, and don't know any people who go to Hipsters....

Steve

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 04:26 AM
who aren't on the forum, and don't know any people who go to Hipsters....

Huh?

TheTramp
3rd-January-2004, 04:27 AM
It's true I tell you.

These people do exist!

Steve

Minnie M
3rd-January-2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Sylph
Ditto. I was fortunate to dance with Amir, David, Viktor and Andy (swoon, swoon!) and managed to grab Greg, Andy McG,Tony and quite a few other really good dancers whose names I don't know. Think I'll have sweet dreams tonight!

:tears: I didn't get to dance with any of the above and some other forum favourites- lucky to get a dance with David B, oh and I had a very fast rock and roll one with Nigel (:tears: dances with Nigel are precious, I wish it was slower)

I agree with everything ChrisA said - what a waste of what could have been a fantastic evening - far too many people and lots of inconsiderate dancers

Nice meeting you Sylph:D

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Minnie M
Nice meeting you Sylph:D

Good to meet you too and thanks again for your list:D

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 04:41 AM
Tuesday :devil:

Oh well. :tears:

Ask me about their dirty dancing workshop I went to, sometime...

... it was probably my fault though, cos I'm a bit too shy for that sort of thing...

:really: :really:

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 04:52 AM
I was fortunate to dance with Amir, David, Viktor and Andy (swoon, swoon!) and managed to grab Greg, Andy McG,Tony and quite a few other really good dancers whose names I don't know. Think I'll have sweet dreams tonight!
I've watched what goes on quite carefully at some of the exceptionally busy nights, after an interesting conversation with Nigel one evening... I had had a night similar to tonight - far too busy, couldn't move despite huge effort to keep it small, stay in the slot, avoid the maniacs, etc. But he said he reckoned it was about right, or maybe just a touch too busy.

Ok, I thought... Nigel's floorcraft is second to none, but is mine really that crap????

So next time, I watched Nigel, Amir, Viktor, Mick, James, and a few other big names.

Fact is, people give 'em more space. It's a bugger, it ain't fair, but that's the truth. They dance in a bubble - people move out of their way.

Girls - you want space on a busy night? Dance with the names.

Am I jealous? Of course I am.

Chris

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 05:00 AM
It's true I tell you.

These people do exist!

Ok, 1 removed then, max, though only cos I'm feeling exceptionally charitable.

More than that, I need some convincing.

I defy you to find anyone that (a) wants to go on a Friday and (b) wouldn't be there via forum acquaintance or knowing an H regular.

Chris

Lounge Lizard
3rd-January-2004, 09:20 AM
Why not have more than one a month - demand seems to be there?
Thats why I did not bother going last night, why drive 2 hours each way to be crushed, will be at Woking tonight tho.

If Tuesdays gets to busy why not try Dorking Halls - from 13th Jan I will be the regular DJ there every Tuesday [plug plug!], not as much swing music as hipsters tho - simmilar to the stuf played at Fleet on NYE
Peter

Minnie M
3rd-January-2004, 09:56 AM
Fact is, people give 'em more space. It's a bugger, it ain't fair, but that's the truth. They dance in a bubble - people move out of their way.

You are absolutely right Chris - just thought of my very fast rock and roll dance with Nigel last night - we did have lots of space, which is very very strange, mind you it was in a corner at the back of the hall.

I always thought Nigel danced at the edge of the dance floor to be noticed :wink: but LL told me he does that to gain more floor space - so maybe that is the answer

Lory
3rd-January-2004, 12:45 PM
You are absolutely right Chris - just thought of my very fast rock and roll dance with Nigel last night - we did have lots of space, which is very very strange, mind you it was in a corner at the back of the hall.

It's funny, thinking of my dance with Nigel, I did seem to have more space than with many other dancers but 'grincing' dosen't take up too much room :wink: and he does his fair share! :rofl:

It would be a good idea to limit the numbers somehow as it was too busy last night but one of the bonuses of the eve was that I danced with many people I've never seen before, therefore it would be a shame to sell tickets only to people who already go, as it might become stale.

P.s. Welcome back James, thanks for the lovely dance! :hug:

Minnie M
3rd-January-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Lory
Welcome back James, thanks for the lovely dance! :hug:

Hear hear :cheers: - welcome back James - saw you dancing on the stage (clever man):wink:

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 01:12 PM

Girls - you want space on a busy night? Dance with the names.

..but I danced with lots of people not just"names" honest:what:. I agree in principle that dancing is more pleasurable when there isn't a crush but just think that access to jive events should be "accessible to all". A bit like healthcare!:)

Am I jealous? Of course I am.
Chris
You've no need to be jealous of anyone :wink:

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 01:34 PM
just think that access to jive events should be "accessible to all". A bit like healthcare!:)

I agree with this, of course.

But a bit like healthcare, it's a scarce resource, which needs to be rationed somehow if the demand for it becomes greater than its supply.

And it's also disappointing to see how rude and inconsiderate some people get when there's such pressure on the resource. It brings out the worst in people. Even during the class there were non-participants barging carelessly across in front of the stage disrupting the efforts fo those at the ends of the lines.

On the subject of ticketing, I was talking somewhat tongue-in-cheek about selling the tickets only on Hipsters week nights. Provided they were available then, it would probably be enough of a weighting in favour of the regulars, without completely stopping others who were determined enough to get one - via the website for instance.

Personally, if I were confident there would be space, I'd be happy to book up many months in advance, too.. and maybe pay a bit more too since it's a bit special.

You've no need to be jealous of anyone :wink: You're most kind, but you have the advantage of me :D

Chris

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree with this, of course.
Phew!

]
On the subject of ticketing, I was talking somewhat tongue-in-cheek about selling the tickets only on Hipsters week nights. Provided they were available then, it would probably be enough of a weighting in favour of the regulars, without completely stopping others who were determined enough to get one - via the website for instance.
Why weight it in favour of anyone? Surely keeping that melting pot mixture is part of the joy of the venue.

You're most kind, but you have the advantage of me :D

I think you'll find I don't :wink:

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 02:01 PM
Why weight it in favour of anyone? Surely keeping that melting pot mixture is part of the joy of the venue.

Of course, I'm all for melting pot mixtures too. All I'm saying is that if the tickets for the Fridays were available on the Tuesday and Wednesday, many, maybe most, of them would in practice end up going to the regulars.

The thing is, if H on Fridays becomes regularly as overcrowded as last night, ticketing will become necessary (IMHO), since the level at which it becomes self-limiting is probably too high for most people's comfort.

So how do you sell the tickets? A lottery would be the very fairest, but first-come-first-served does at least favour those that most want to go, since they will put in the maximum effort to be amongst the first - however they are sold.

I think you'll find I don't :wink: :confused: :confused:

Chris

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 02:28 PM
I think you'll find I don't :wink:

:confused: :confused:

Hmmm...... :innocent:

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 02:36 PM
tickets for the Fridays were available on the Tuesday and Wednesday, many, maybe most, of them would in practice end up going to the regulars.
Anti melting-pot policy?:devil:

The thing is, if H on Fridays becomes regularly as overcrowded as last night, ticketing will become necessary (IMHO), since the level at which it becomes self-limiting is probably too high for most people's comfort.
Agreed

So how do you sell the tickets? A lottery would be the very fairest, but first-come-first-served does at least favour those that most want to go, since they will put in the maximum effort to be amongst the first - however they are sold.
For regulars no maximum effort is involved if they're sold at H, while for people who really want to go and can't get there weekdays it makes it impossible:sad:

:confused: :confused:
Chris You're not trying very hard:)

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 03:10 PM
Anti melting-pot policy?:devil:
I didn't say only Tuesday and Wednesday, except tongue-in-cheek, and then I said:

On the subject of ticketing, I was talking somewhat tongue-in-cheek about selling the tickets only on Hipsters week nights. Provided they were available then, it would probably be enough of a weighting in favour of the regulars, without completely stopping others who were determined enough to get one - via the website for instance
I don't see this as an anti-melting pot policy at all.

It's the same at Rock Bottoms - a lot of the bookings for the next one get taken at the previous one. But there's no anti-melting- pot policy there either.

It's the same as any "first come first served" system. It's flawed in the sense that it isn't fair (ie equal chances for all), but it isn't exclusive because it doesn't exclude anyone, providing they want to get up early enough to be close enough to the front of the queue.

You're not trying very hard:)
It wouldn't be the first time that accusation had been levelled at me :devil: :wink:

Chris

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 03:25 PM
I didn't say only Tuesday and Wednesday, except tongue-in-cheek
OK, glad that's how you meant it although that was not at all obvious at the start :). It did sound like trying to make an enclave :wink:

It wouldn't be the first time that accusation had been levelled at me :devil: :wink:
Chris
:really:

Andy McGregor
3rd-January-2004, 03:48 PM
Phew! Take a well deserved morning off the Forum and almost lose track of the debate!

Crowds

I thought the Tuesday before Christmas and last night were absolutely packed. I still had a good time - but not as good as I would have if there'd been more room.

My own thought on this subject is that both nights were a one off - which I know is a bit of a contradiction:confused:

Last Tueday was packed with people getting their last fix of dancing before a break for Christmas - so everyone went.

Last night was people getting their first fix of the year after a break for Christmas and the new year - somebody even hired a minibus and drove up from Bournmouth!

Last Tuesday had loads of people I hadn't seen for ages which was really nice. And last night had loads of people I'd never seen before, which was equally nice. Of course, I regarded the new faces as a bit of a challenge to get round everyone and asked them to dance in preference to people I recognised - and I had some lovely dances, let's hope they come back. But quite often I still danced with known women because I think there were men over! I even danced with my own wife - I could have stayed home and done that...

Creating Space to Dance

The dancing on the edge of the floor to create space is something I've been doing for years. But last night it didn't work so well. People were standing in groups at the edge of the dance floor so other people had to walk around them, right into the dancers! Towards the latter half of the night I worked out that the nearer the back you were the less people would be walking past. And who did I find occupying the corner at the back but Nigel, the King of Grincing :devil:

Will I be Back?

Of course I will be going again. I think that both nights were too busy because there wasn't much else on and everyone had to come to Hipsters to get their fix. During the rest of the year other venues will be open and people will have somewhere else to go. But I agree with ChrisA, if those crowds become the norm I'll be going elsewhere too:tears:

TheTramp
3rd-January-2004, 03:58 PM
Last night was people getting their first fix of the year after a break for Christmas and the new year - somebody even hired a minibus and drove up from Bournmouth!Wonder if those people are on the forum, know Hipsters regulars, or go there on a regular basis then Chris.... :devil: :na:

Steve

TheTramp
3rd-January-2004, 04:03 PM
Actually, thinking about it, I have a story about a (non-ticketed) event, which was pretty much the equivalent of making Hipsters ticketed for those travelling.

On the odd occasion, I used to go down to Minstead (near Southampton), for the dances on the last Friday of the month.

Hadn't been for a couple of months, but got a few friends together, and we took a car down.

To find that we couldn't get in, because it was full (all the regulars knew that you had to get there early, and of course, coming from London on a Friday night, with the lousy traffic etc. we hadn't arrived until about 10pm).

Luckily, there was also a freestyle on at Portsmouth, which isn't too far away, and we were able to get there instead.

But it can be a bit of a pain, taking the chance on going, if you haven't arranged it in advance. At least, if it was ticketed, advertised as such, and you could get the tickets on the phone or website before you arrived, it would save a 4 hour round trip in vain.

Steve

ChrisA
3rd-January-2004, 04:09 PM
Wonder if those people are on the forum, know Hipsters regulars, or go there on a regular basis then Chris.... :devil: :na:

Touché :na:

Chris

Sylph
3rd-January-2004, 04:38 PM
Last Tuesday had loads of people I hadn't seen for ages which was really nice. And last night had loads of people I'd never seen before, which was equally nice.
Absolutely :D

Will I be Back?
Of course I will be going again.
See you soon then Andy :D :wink:

Andy McGregor
3rd-January-2004, 05:02 PM
See you soon then Andy :D :wink:
All I've got to do now is work out who, from the many lovely sylphs I danced with last night, is the Sylph:kiss:

Jon L
3rd-January-2004, 08:49 PM

I hate to say it, but despite the wall-to-wall brilliant dancers there, if it's as busy at the next BFFF, I won't be going to the one after that.

Absolutely heaving, it was. JB played a terrific set, but it was just impossible to dance to any of it for most of the evening. A major achievement to get to the end of a track with no injury to oneself or partner.

And, of course, we had the usual bunch of inconsiderate, clueless morons determined to inflict their aerials and floor-level drops on those around them. I actually stopped dancing when some complete f*****t did a dangerous aerial right next to me - I stopped him too with a (very restrained) tap on the shoulder and asked him to tone it down...

Do I sound grumpy? I guess I do, cos I guess I am. I've been a Hipsters regular for more than a year now, but I'm beginning to think that maybe it's too much of a victim of its own success.

Chris

Chris I have posted a comment on your all ticket idea in the 'Let's talk about dance section' on Crowd Capacity - it was too crowded no doubt about that

Mary
3rd-January-2004, 09:59 PM
All I've got to do now is work out who, from the many lovely sylphs I danced with last night, is the Sylph:kiss:

I know.:D :D

And I'm not telling.:devil: :devil: :devil:

........unless you pay me lots of money.:wink: :wink:

M

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Mary

M

Aha! So the Sylph is obviously not the sylph-like Mary.

The investigation continues...

ChrisA
4th-January-2004, 02:11 AM
M
Aha! So the Sylph is obviously not the sylph-like Mary.

Well, you can't, of course, infer that from Mary's post, Andy.

Maybe you have an additional information source :devil:

There are plenty of covert operatives still around from the Department of Wiggling. Maybe it's one of them?

Chris

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2004, 03:49 AM
Well, you can't, of course, infer that from Mary's post, Andy.

Maybe you have an additional information source :devil:

There are plenty of covert operatives still around from the Department of Wiggling. Maybe it's one of them?

Chris

You are of course right. Maybe Mary is a double agent for DS and has invented the Sylph persona to bamboozle us and introduce cheap, imported wiggles.

Does this mean we need to revert to the Hollow Tree? Can anyone remember where it is?

Will
4th-January-2004, 04:16 AM

Not flaming you in anyway Chris, but would point out a couple of things before we start going down the "ticket only" route.

1. Whilst well attend, Hipsters Friday has never been that packed before, and I don't doubt that that is in no small part down to the fact that Casbah & St Marys were shut. Hipsters was therefore the only venue in London that was open to my knowledge. I personally saw lots of St Mary's regulars there, and I suspect the same can be said for the Casbah.

2. There were alot of tables and chairs out on Friday. If Hipsters remains this busy then alot of them can be cleared out before you have to start restricting numbers.

3. Personally I'd advocate finding a bigger venue (easier said than done I know!) before resorting to limiting ticket sales.

:cheers:

Sylph
4th-January-2004, 12:23 PM
You are of course right. Maybe Mary is a double agent for DS and has invented the Sylph persona to bamboozle us and introduce cheap, imported wiggles.

Does this mean we need to revert to the Hollow Tree? Can anyone remember where it is?

oops......

I can only say that I am horrified at your suggestion Andy :wink:

My wiggles are genuine and come with the highest recommendation.

:devil: :devil: :devil:

ChrisA
4th-January-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Will
1. Whilst well attend, Hipsters Friday has never been that packed before, and I don't doubt that that is in no small part down to the fact that Casbah & St Marys were shut. Hipsters was therefore the only venue in London that was open to my knowledge. I personally saw lots of St Mary's regulars there, and I suspect the same can be said for the Casbah.

I certainly take this point. When I said:

if it's as busy at the next BFFF, I won't be going to the one after that.
... in my original rant, I realised it could be a one off.

I fear that the Fridays will follow the same pattern as Tuesdays, though. These have become so popular in recent months that they're above many people's enjoyment level. Recent Hipsters posts suggest that it's dropped off a bit - so I might give it another try in a week or two.

But the fact still remains, Will, that you're amongst those for whom people make more space. Fair play to you, but no matter how busy it is, it will always, I believe, seem less so to you than it does to most.

2. There were alot of tables and chairs out on Friday. If Hipsters remains this busy then alot of them can be cleared out before you have to start restricting numbers.
True. But there still needs to be somewhere for bags, coats, non-dancers. You don't reclaim for dancing anywhere near all the space generated by losing the tables.

3. Personally I'd advocate finding a bigger venue (easier said than done I know!) before resorting to limiting ticket sales.
Agree with this.

Chris

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2004, 02:48 PM
oops......

I can only say that I am horrified at your suggestion Andy :wink:

My wiggles are genuine and come with the highest recommendation.

:devil: :devil: :devil:

I have looked up the meaning of sylph and found one that makes me wonder.

sylph 1. An elemental spirit of the air. 2. a slender graceful woman or girl. 3. any humming bird of the genus Aglaiocercus with a long forked tail.

Number 3 sounds imported to me:devil:

Are there any humming birds in Smurf I wonder....

RobC
4th-January-2004, 10:23 PM
I know.

And I'm not telling.

I know too :nice: Had a dance or two :nice:

It was good to put another face to a forum name. :wink:

Sorry Andy, I'm not letting on either :na: :na:

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by RobC
I know too :nice: Had a dance or two :nice:

It was good to put another face to a forum name. :wink:

Sorry Andy, I'm not letting on either :na: :na:

Now I would like to think I can eliminate RobC from my list of suspects. The following equation can safely be proposed.

RobC =/= Sylph

I think I can feel a bit of algebra looming:devil:

Pammy
5th-January-2004, 10:36 AM
Way too busy for me; ended up with two bruises on my feet :tears: Didn't even get to wiggle with Andy. Did get to wiggle with the rest :grin:

I think bigger venue would be great; but where???? :confused:

Andy McGregor
5th-January-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Way too busy for me; ended up with two bruises on my feet :tears: Didn't even get to wiggle with Andy. Did get to wiggle with the rest :grin:

Pammy and I did exchange grins through the crowds - we just never got a chance to turn them into grinces:tears:

I'm convinced that last Friday was a one-off due to other venues being closed and it being the holiday season. Loads of people who don't usually go to Hipsters were there - I'm a Hipsters regular and even I don't usually go on a Friday because it finishes late and we have to do the school run the following morning.

That particular configuration of first Friday following new year probably wont happen for a few years so we don't need to worry too much. Next year the equivalent Friday is new-years eve itself so the Big Fat Friday Freestyle will be the following Friday, well past the end of festivities:waycool:

Sheepman
5th-January-2004, 06:24 PM
RobC =/= Sylph
I'll tell you it's not me either, but of course you know I'm not schizophrenic?

Greg

PS Isn't it BPFF not BFFF?

JamesGeary
5th-January-2004, 07:01 PM
Wow! Hipsters friday was the most crowded I've ever seen any venue anywhere.

I was trying to be grouchy about not having space to dance, but I kept bumping into people I hadn't seen for years and just kept having fun. It seemed every single person I've ever met was there! Unreal. As said, they needed an extra room or two.

JB even played stacks of good chart music. I had happy ears.

ChrisA
5th-January-2004, 08:26 PM
PS Isn't it BPFF not BFFF?

Nope. According to the official flyers, it's:

B'F'FF, or possibly even TB'F'FF.

Chris,

TheTramp
5th-January-2004, 08:32 PM

Nope. According to the official flyers, it's:

B'F'FF, or possibly even TB'F'FF.

Chris, And what does the extra 'F' stand for then??

Steve

ChrisA
5th-January-2004, 08:35 PM
And what does the extra 'F' stand for then??
Fat, as opposed to Phat.

Chris

Andy McGregor
5th-January-2004, 08:35 PM

Steve

Which one is the extra 'F'?

ChrisA
5th-January-2004, 08:37 PM
Which one is the extra 'F'?
F off :devil:

TheTramp
5th-January-2004, 08:38 PM
F off :devil: But that's rude!!! :tears:

Steve

Andy McGregor
5th-January-2004, 08:39 PM
F off :devil:

Correct, I will be taking 'Friday off' as it's Bognor this weekend:wink:

ChrisA
5th-January-2004, 08:41 PM
But that's rude!!! :tears:

Steve
Not as rude as not saying it :D

Chris

Andy McGregor
5th-January-2004, 08:44 PM
Not as rude as not saying it :D

Chris

Of course, it should be "P off!":wink:

Lory
6th-January-2004, 12:09 AM

Steve
The Big Fat Friday Freestyle????:confused:

Andy McGregor
6th-January-2004, 12:40 AM
The Big Fat Friday Freestyle????:confused:

But we all think that the first F should be a P - don't we:confused:

ChrisA
6th-January-2004, 12:58 AM
But we all think that the first F should be a P - don't we:confused:
No, you phool.

It's "Fat", not "Phat" on the ophicial Hipsters phlyer advertising the event.

Iph that ain't ophicial, I dunno what is... :rolleyes:

Chris

TheTramp
6th-January-2004, 01:04 AM
Iph that ain't ophicial, I dunno what is... :rolleyes:
Surely, it should be ophphicial?

Steve

ChrisA
6th-January-2004, 01:07 AM
Surely, it should be ophphicial?

Interesting one that.

I considered it, but lepht it as ophicial based on the phact that there's only one relevant syllable with the "ph" sound.

Chris

TheTramp
6th-January-2004, 01:10 AM
I considered it, but lepht it as ophicial based on the phact that there's only one relevant syllable with the "ph" sound.Not sure I agree. As ophicial, it reverts back to oficial. Which is a different sound. Which I'm not quite sure of. But it's dephinitly diphpherent!! :what:

Steve

ChrisA
6th-January-2004, 01:44 AM
Not sure I agree. As ophicial, it reverts back to oficial. Which is a different sound. Which I'm not quite sure of. But it's dephinitly diphpherent!! :what:

Steve
Nah. Dephinitely syllable-based.

Diphpherent would be pronounced "diff-ferent", with 3 syllables.

Chris

TheTramp
6th-January-2004, 02:18 AM
Nah. Dephinitely syllable-based.

Diphpherent would be pronounced "diff-ferent", with 3 syllables.

Chris Yeah. Maybe. But would that actually sound any diphphpherent when you actually said it out loud. You'd have to work hard to make saying 'diff-ferent' diphpherent to 'diff-erent'. Whereas 'official' would definitely sound different to 'oficial' (which I think would become 'ovicial' fonetically). The diphpherence between 'off' and 'of' (ophph and oph) :na:

I think :rolleyes:

Steve

Sheepman
6th-January-2004, 11:23 AM
Sorry guys, one little aside, and this is what we get. Is this getting a bit NAFF?

Greg

PS I'm told the original meaning of NAFF is Not Available For F******

Andy McGregor
6th-January-2004, 11:37 AM
Sorry guys, one little aside, and this is what we get. Is this getting a bit NAFF?

It was late and I'd assumed they were both drunk:wink:

Do the Hipsters people know they've got their F and their Ph mixed up?

Sylph
6th-January-2004, 11:50 AM
It was late and I'd assumed they were both drunk:wink:

Do the Hipsters people know they've got their F and their Ph mixed up?

Dysarfria?:rofl: :rofl:

Sheepman
6th-January-2004, 05:54 PM
Do the Hipsters people know they've got their F and their Ph mixed up? Sorry, that should have been NAFP

(Not Available For Procreation),

Greg

Andy McGregor
6th-January-2004, 06:02 PM
Sorry, that should have been NAFP

(Not Available For Procreation),

Greg

I thought you meant Not Available For Freestyle:devil:

Lory
28th-January-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Will

:cheers:
I wonder if anyones thought of Acton Assembly hall? It's the same length as Ealing but 10ft wider

Victoria hall, Ealing town hall 73 x 44'
Acton Assembly Hall 73 x 54'

info (http://www.ealing.gov.uk/Services/Hall+hire/large+halls/default.asp)

Lory
6th-February-2004, 02:30 PM
Who's going tonight? :grin:

spindr
6th-February-2004, 02:39 PM
Thought I might brave the metropolis tonight -- I'll be the tall Johnny Cash fan :cool:

SpinDr.

Sheepman
6th-February-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by spindr
Thought I might brave the metropolis tonight -- I'll be the tall Johnny Cash fan How do you identify a Johnny Cash fan at a dance night?

I hope to make it tonight for the last hour.

Greg

Lory
6th-February-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by spindr
I'll be the tall Johnny Cash fan :cool:

SpinDr.
What does a Tall Johnny Cash fan look like:confused: full description please :grin:

Rachel
6th-February-2004, 02:52 PM
What does a Tall Johnny Cash fan look like:confused: full description please :grin: Black - clothes, I mean - oh, and 'tall'. (I think??)
Rachel

RobC
6th-February-2004, 03:04 PM
ME
:clap: :clap: :clap:

spindr
6th-February-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Black - clothes, I mean - oh, and 'tall'. (I think??)

Yep, Johnny Cash == "The Man in Black".
Ok, I could have gone with "Brown-eyed Handsome Man" but only a few die-hard Buddy Holly fans would have got the reference -- and trades-descriptions would have been after me :)

SpinDr.

Jayne
6th-February-2004, 03:33 PM
Someone mentioned Tango so I'll be there!

J :clap:

TheTramp
6th-February-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Someone mentioned Tango so I'll be there!They meant the orange drink though. Sorry.

Steve

Jayne
6th-February-2004, 03:43 PM
They meant the orange drink though.
Damn! I prefer the apple one...

J :rolleyes:

TheTramp
6th-February-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Damn! I prefer the apple one...

J :rolleyes: I'm sure that someone will bring you one of those now that you've said that....

Steve

Debster
6th-February-2004, 04:45 PM
I'll be there :D
:clap:

.... so how do we fit in all our friends but still have space for a good dance? [fingers crossed]

Simon
6th-February-2004, 05:11 PM
I'll be there (along with half of Bristol). :what: Anyone for sardines?

Andy McGregor
6th-February-2004, 07:00 PM

Me & Sue:clap: :clap: :clap:

ChrisA
7th-February-2004, 11:09 AM
Well.

:angry: :angry: :devil: :tears:

As far as I'm concerned, until it's a tickets-only event, the BFFFF (sic) can go and ****ing **** itself.

Absolutely bloody heaving, stupid morons doing drops, even stupider morons leaping around the room doing flailing lindy, not an ounce of consideration to be seen anywhere as far as I could see.

The tango class and cabaret was most welcome, N & N did a good job of coping with the fact that the tango teachers got delayed, and JB's music was really nice.

But not nice enough to make it worth going to again as far as I'm concerned. I don't enjoy going dancing and ending up just wanting to kill people.

I just hope Franco sees the light.

Quality, please, not quantity.

:tears:

spindr
7th-February-2004, 01:37 PM
I loved the tango cabaret -- I thought that was absolutely compelling, superb footwork, leg decorations, etc. Tango class was fun, but I had a bit of a difficult time getting a good view of the teaching.

Overall enjoyed it -- had a couple of absolutely great dances -- unfortunately, most of the other dances I couldn't play about too much, because they were constrained by having to keep the moves compact and bijou.

However, there were idiots there -- especially the guy who led his partner into a dip -- placing her head between another follower's legs!

Maybe next time there's a clash, I might decide on GingerJive at Newbury, rather than Hipsters.

SpinDr.

P.S. Even managed a few compact lindy dances :)

Peter
7th-February-2004, 05:35 PM
Another good night last night - great music, many talented dancers and an interesting technical class on basic tango steps.

Although it was crowded, it was not so bad as before Christmas (until the Casbah emptied into Hipsters).

But I lost count of the number of minor injuries & collisions I sustained (not all my fault!). It could be much more enjoyable if we had more space.

Adding the Princes Hall (downstairs, used on Tues for Lindy) would increase the dance area by about 40% as well as add variety. However, I suspect this improvement would be short lived - total numbers would only have to increase from about 300 last night to 420 for there to be no noticeable change.

Unless the event moves to a much larger venue, people will continue to vote with their feet. There were noticeably fewer "big names" last night - where were they?

Andy McGregor
8th-February-2004, 12:43 AM
Well.

:angry: :angry: :devil: :tears:

As far as I'm concerned, until it's a tickets-only event, the BFFFF (sic) can go and ****ing **** itself.
-snip-

I just hope Franco sees the light.

Quality, please, not quantity.

:tears:

Agreed 100%. I won't be going again on a Friday until it moves to a bigger venue or it's made a limited ticket sales venue like Great Bookham.

However, I loved the Tango class. If we could have Tango on a Tuesday instead of Lindy I'd be there every week. And the cabaret had the hairs of the back of my neck standing up. Tango is all about the dancers and their partnership where Lindy at Hipsters seems to me to be all about showing off to the audience...

I spoke with Franco about the numbers and he says he's considering opening a swing room downstairs. IMHO this wouldn't make any difference as we'd get swing dancers that don't currently come on a Friday - boosting numbers even more:tears:

I really don't think ChrisA and me staying away on Fridays is going to bother Hipsters. People will still pack the place out and hand over their £7 . The first serious injury is what it will take - and I don't want that to be me or my wife or my friends:tears:

Another suggestion I've put to the Hipsters guys is that they put on their Fridays twice a month. Us people that travel from all over the country would probably only come once in any month so numbers would, hopefully, drop to a safer level:waycool:

Wednesdays at Hipsters are now the only night worth going because of the crowds on the other nights. There's currently a really nice crowd on a Wednesday with enough room to have fun and interpret Roger Chin's music. But if anyone asks you tell them it's the most busy night and they'd be better off going on a Tuesday - especially if they're into showboating style Lindy or are a bit sleazy:wink:

Mary
8th-February-2004, 12:57 PM
Deliberately didn't go to Hipsters on Friday because I thought it would be too crowded - looks like I made the right choice. Would have loved to have done the Tango class tho" :tears:

Went to Twyford instead. More space, friendly, great floor, and some people practised their aerials ............... at the end when everyone else had gone and the rest of us were packing up. :wink:

Also Simon R did an interesting 'swing hip hop' workshop whilst the intermediate class was going on. It was called an 'improvers' class - I reckon it should be called 'intermediate +' or something similar. I gather this is going to be a regular feature - to introduce other styles and elements. Suppose I should put this on the Twyford thread.:blush: Anyway, way to go Simon - good class mate :cheers:

M

Lory
8th-February-2004, 01:21 PM
After a VERY dodgy start to the evening:rolleyes: I ended up having a great night, personally I hated the Tango lesson, although I can understand people liking it but it's far too serious for me and the music reminds me of being at a funeral:sad:

Yes, it was too busy BUT packed wall to wall with fabulous dancers and lovely friendly people, I had a few dances with people I've never seen before and WOW ooooooooh ahhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmm:yum: :wink: and of course my old favourites and good friends were there too...:hug:

Andy McGregor
8th-February-2004, 02:31 PM
After a VERY dodgy start to the evening:rolleyes: I ended up having a great night, personally I hated the Tango lesson, although I can understand people liking it but it's far too serious for me and the music reminds me of being at a funeral:sad:

I must admit that the music had me thinking that there must be better music you can do this to. But the actual dance was fantastic from a lead and follow point of view. It had all the feel of ballroom without any of the stuffed-shirt attitude.

Yes, it was too busy BUT packed wall to wall with fabulous dancers and lovely friendly people, I had a few dances with people I've never seen before and WOW ooooooooh ahhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmm:yum: :wink: and of course my old favourites and good friends were there too...:hug:

I agree with Lory on this. It was packed wall to wall with lovely dancers. BUT it was difficult to find them at the end of a track and when you had found a great partner you had to dance very small when the music was saying 'DANCE BIG'.

If this class was 10 miles away I'd be thinking it was fantastic. But it isn't worth a 165 mile round-trip to be banged into, kicked, trodden on and endure the frustration of glimpsing great dancers but never actually getting to dance with them:tears:

Lounge Lizard
8th-February-2004, 03:24 PM
This is the reason I went to Bisley, Franco etc.should make it a ticket only event - it will still sell out and if demand is high open up the other room.

Hipsters has two weekday nights with two different DJ's, why not reflect this on the big cramped (sorry fat) friday freestyle.
Hipsters success is jiver based, not lindy, balboa or tango.
so use the other hall (if available) to the benefit of the loyal masses i.e. the modern jivers, not the specialist minority. - we dont want to be converted to alternative dance styles, we want space to dance, great music and awsome lessons.

The success of Hipsters means it is now the most popular regular venue on the MJ circuit (ceroc is the most popular orgnisation but as far as I am aware no single ceroc venue meets the popularity of Hipsters).

The Hipsters DJ'S are recognised as the two leading DJ's on the MJ circuit (ok JB was there anyway, but Hipsters has taken him to an even wider audience).
So two DJ's, Two dance halls, Two music styles - it worked ok at chiswick, sure it would work at Ealing.

And for the next BFFF (if it is same format as last week) I will be at Bisley WCS, Great teaching, Great music, space to dance.
Peter

Jayne
9th-February-2004, 10:49 AM
Well Friday night had sooo much promise. Good venue with a great floor. Fantastic DJ. Fab dancers going. Two lessons (one of which was Tango - HUGE brownie points IMHO). Plus a cabaret. Who could say no??

As it turned out it was a HUGELY disappointing night for two reasons.

Firstly it was WAY too busy. Maybe if it had been blues all night then packing that number of dancers in would have been OK. But there was me thinking that it was a MJ night. MJ NEEDS SPACE. It really is quite simple.

The second reason why Friday was disappointing was the attitude of dancers. Why do people put up with being treated with so little respect? Packing a room full of dancers, then adding a few more dancers IS NOT acceptable. It reminded me of the Ceroc Scotland 10th anniversary party in Glasgow a couple of years ago, where (to cut a long story short) Franck sold too many tickets and let too many people in. At the time Franck was nearly flamed alive. He received many complaints on the night, many e-mails and PMs afterwards and publicly flamed on the forum. To his credit Franck stood up and said that he had got it wrong. Not only that but he learnt from his mistake and hasn't oversold a night since.

It will be interesting to see if Franko has enough respect for his customers as Franck and modifies his door policy.

Until he does I (and many others) will stay away from the BFFF.

J

Pammy
9th-February-2004, 11:18 AM
Jayne - there was plenty of room at the hollow tree :grin:

Sheepman
9th-February-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Peter
There were noticeably fewer "big names" last night - where were they? Well I saw plenty of them, but not until about 1:15am, when the crowds had dissipated, and the lights were up.

There may be fewer of them at the next BFFF though, as it clashes with Blackpool.

Greg

Lounge Lizard
9th-February-2004, 03:28 PM
Well I saw plenty of them, but not until about 1:15am, when the crowds had dissipated, and the lights were up.

There may be fewer of them at the next BFFF though, as it clashes with Blackpool.

Greg Will JB be at Blackpool or Hipsters then

p

Doc Iain
9th-February-2004, 05:26 PM
I agree with the comments above. I went along for my first friday night experience at hipsters and I have to say I was not overly impressed. The class was good and nice for a change but it was a bit much trying to do tango with about 150 couples on the dance floor! Kind of 1, 2, 3, (hold that thought, people in front have just stopped.... twiddle thumbs......oh all go again), 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

The freestyle was a great standard as always. And although there were some people doing a few silly things no where near as bad as at Orpington this week (While I am based in Kent I popped along... never again!!) I am black and blue!!... Me the big bloke too!

I
x

foxylady
9th-February-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Doc Iain
And although there were some people doing a few silly things no where near as bad as at Orpington this week (While I am based in Kent I popped along... never again!!) I am black and blue!!... Me the big bloke too!

I
x

Come back to the Jive bar - you know it makes sense....

Pah !! sod the expense - I'm sure there enough women desperate enough for your company to pay you !!!

FL :wink: :wink:

Minnie M
9th-February-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by foxylady

Love the avatar FL :clap: :wink:

Mary
9th-February-2004, 10:00 PM
Love the avatar FL :clap: :wink:

:yeah: Me too.

M

foxylady