PDA

View Full Version : dare to be different

Chris
30th-December-2003, 08:29 AM
Here's a news story I've just come across that might be inspiring (if you let it . . . )

It's Thursday night. Anne Megibow is teaching her dance production and choreography class at Piedmont Virginia Community College. "I want you to move across the stage as though you were a dot," she tells her students.

Nine pairs of eyes stare at her. "A dot?" one student asks. "What do you mean?" demands another.

"Well," Megibow counters, "what's it mean to you?"

In the world of dance improvisation, there's no right or wrong. There is only you, your body, and your unique way of moving. It's a concept that Megibow sometimes has trouble getting across to her students.

"If you're a technically experienced dancer, you have expectations about how things are going to look," Megibow said. "To toss all those teachings out can be difficult."

As a teacher, her challenge is to "not explain too much... to let people feel uncomfortable," Megibow says. It's a role she doesn't find easy. "I'm a person who likes to fix things and make everyone feel comfortable."

"You reach a point where you want to dance your own voice, you want to jump off from a technical background and create your own movement."

(Megibow learnt dance at the Martha Graham school of dance amongst other places)

ChrisA
30th-December-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Chris
"I want you to move across the stage as though you were a dot,"
I wish more people would move round the floor at Hipsters on a Tuesday like they were a dot.

Chris

TheTramp
30th-December-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by ChrisA
I wish more people would move round the floor at Hipsters on a Tuesday like they were a dot. As opposed to a spinny, kicky thing?? :na:

Steve

ChrisA
30th-December-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
As opposed to a spinny, kicky thing?? :na:

Exactly. A spinny, kicky, jumpy, droppy thing, in fact. :mad:

TheTramp
30th-December-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Exactly. A spinny, kicky, jumpy, droppy thing, in fact. :mad: More 'dot like' behaviour would certainly suit those people!

Steve

Martin
30th-December-2003, 01:50 PM
More 'dot like' behaviour would certainly suit those people!

Steve

Maybe that's what a "dot" means to them?????:D

Could be a spinny, dropy, kicking dot?

TheTramp
30th-December-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Martin
Maybe that's what a "dot" means to them?????:D

Could be a spinny, dropy, kicking dot? But then they wouldn't be a .

More like a ;

Or maybe a !

Or possibly, in the extreme cases, maybe even a ? or a @

Steve

Martin
30th-December-2003, 02:20 PM
But then they wouldn't be a .

More like a ;

Or maybe a !

Steve

I had a great Aunty Dot, in fact she lived in London - she moved around a lot, and she took up lots of space...:D

let's not stifle interpretation now, :na:

Simon r
19th-January-2004, 06:34 PM
Oh my god ive got an aunt Dot as well
that explains how all my moves are made up now.....

Dance Demon
19th-January-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Chris

"I want you to move across the stage as though you were a dot," she tells her students.

maybe she meant shuffle accross the stage with a fag hanging out the side of their mouths, saying..."Ooh I say Jim Branning.."
:rofl: :rofl:

bobgadjet
21st-January-2004, 01:31 AM
But then they wouldn't be a .

More like a ;

Or maybe a !

Steve

Or maybe it was one of those dots that jumps from word to word on those old sing-along thingys... a sort of aerial dot ?