PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool event in March

Sandy
29th-December-2003, 03:03 PM
Seem to have lost the link to the Blackpool event:tears:

Can someone please help as I would like to register for this event.

Cheers

Sandy x

DavidY
29th-December-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi Sandy,

I think it's http://www.chancetwodance.co.uk

David

Sandy
29th-December-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
Hi Sandy,

I think it's http://www.chancetwodance.co.uk

David

Thanks David. I'm going to go online right now! I've already been given this address by fellow Cerocers and managed to lose it so must act right now!

Cheers:wink:

Sandy

Daphne
29th-December-2003, 09:43 PM
Have heard a bit of rumbling about this one, anyone going from north of the border?

TheTramp
29th-December-2003, 09:45 PM
Oh. Probably lots of people....

Steve

Andy McGregor
29th-December-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Oh. Probably lots of people....

Steve

Don't tell the dancers from Dundee. They win everything and they're very noisy:devil:

TheTramp
29th-December-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Don't tell the dancers from Dundee. They win everything and they're very noisy:devil: Okie. I promise not to tell any of them!! Honest! :rolleyes:

Steve

Daphne
29th-December-2003, 11:40 PM
Great, we should all get a bus!
......or maybe not, by the sounds of things there wouldn't be enough room for the trophies on the way home :sad:

Twinkle Toes
30th-December-2003, 02:01 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daphne
Have heard a bit of rumbling about this one, anyone going from north of the border?

Hi Daphne,
I have a 36 bedroom hotel booked, but it is nearly full up.
If you are interested, pm me asap.
Cost £21 for en-suite B&B. Late bar, own dance floor and Parking.
5 mins walk from Winter Gardens.

TT x

ps. It is mostly a Scottish contingent, with the odd sassanack or two.

Tiggerbabe
30th-December-2003, 03:31 AM
Don't tell the dancers from Dundee. They win everything and they're very noisy:devil:
Too late!!!!!!!:wink: :wink: See you there Andy :D :hug:

Sandy
30th-December-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
Too late!!!!!!!:wink: :wink: See you there Andy :D :hug:

Just got to say that I love the Avatar Sheena, really brilliant. Did Steve have anything to do with this one???

Sandy x

PS hopefully will see you in Blackpool!

TheTramp
30th-December-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Sandy
Did Steve have anything to do with this one???Possibly :wink:

Steve

Jive Brummie
30th-December-2003, 04:41 PM
I trust there will be the Scottish corner at the Blackpool comp. With flags and whooping to boot???

Great atmosphere in '03, hope it's a good one in '04.......... what am I saying, of course it'll be a great atmosphere....and who knows, this time round other people (south of the border-ers) might even try and enjoy themselves too..........:wink: :wink: , they might go as far as clapping and cheering....one step at a time though eh:rofl:

James.........:cheers:

p.s. I am not jockanese before you start to moan :D

Tiggerbabe
3rd-January-2004, 07:18 PM
Just received an e-mail from Keith, stating that the venue for the comp has now been changed to the Tower Ballroom, where the Sunday Tea Dance is also held.
The Friday night party is still to be held in the Winter Garden but in the "Spanish Rooms".

"Travis" would seem to have upset the applecart by using the original venue :sad:

TheTramp
3rd-January-2004, 08:08 PM
"Travis" would seem to have upset the applecart by using the original venue :sad: How can Travis have booked the Winter Gardens??

There must have been a contract between C2D and the Winter Gardens for the rental of the building on the 6th. How did the Winter Gardens get out of that?

I hear that the Tower Ballroom is a lot smaller than the Winter Gardens. There's not enough room in the Winter Gardens for the number of people who want to do freestyle anyhow. Are the number of spaces going to be limited in anyway now?

Have to say, that my immediate impression is that I'm not sure I now want to go. I don't really have the money. Was really looking forward to the whole event. Not so sure now.

Are there any guarentees from C2D that the whole event will still run as well with the move?

Steve

Andy McGregor
3rd-January-2004, 08:51 PM
How can Travis have booked the Winter Gardens??
There must have been a contract between C2D and the Winter Gardens for the rental of the building on the 6th. How did the Winter Gardens get out of that?

If you'd like it from the horses mouth here (http://www.chancetwodance.co.uk/7035.html) is the link to the C2D website.

The question about how the venue got out of their commitment to C2D is still unanswered though:confused:

If the C2D team need legal advice I could put them in touch with a barrister who goes to MJ who'd probably advise them for free - I won't mention her name here as she might be inundated with requests for advice.

I hear that the Tower Ballroom is a lot smaller than the Winter Gardens. There's not enough room in the Winter Gardens for the number of people who want to do freestyle anyhow. Are the number of spaces going to be limited in anyway now?
So, does anyone know what the capacity of the Tower Ballroom is? Are the numbers going to be limited? What is the size of the Spanish rooms mentioned on the website.

Are there any guarentees from C2D that the whole event will still run as well with the move?
It's still the same team so I have no doubts about the quality of management on the day.

Have to say, that my immediate impression is that I'm not sure I now want to go. I don't really have the money. Was really looking forward to the whole event. Not so sure now.
I do have the money to pay for us to go but it still takes a great deal of organising for me and Sue to be away for 2 nights with 3 school age children.

I'm thinking like Steve. I've got travel and accommodation to book, rehearsals to organise, music to get sorted, partners to practice with, costumes to make/put together, mad ideas as yet unborn in my twisted butterfly mind, etc. And now I'm having second thoughts too:tears: :tears: :tears:

I think we need a bit more information than we've been given on the C2D website. How big are these 2 alternative venues, how will these changes affect everything? Anyone know any more? You never know, it might be a great adventure:waycool:

TheTramp
3rd-January-2004, 09:19 PM
If you'd like it from the horses mouth here (http://www.chancetwodance.co.uk/7035.html) is the link to the C2D website.

It's still the same team so I have no doubts about the quality of management on the day.

I'm thinking like Steve. I've got travel and accommodation to book, rehearsals to organise, music to get sorted, partners to practice with, costumes to make/put together, mad ideas as yet unborn in my twisted butterfly mind, etc. And now I'm having second thoughts too:tears: :tears: :tears:

I think we need a bit more information than we've been given on the C2D website. How big are these 2 alternative venues, how will these changes affect everything? Anyone know any more? You never know, it might be a great adventure:waycool: The website doesn't really say much (I'd already looked at it before posting). Just says that the change is going to happen. Doesn't say why, or how the change will affect anything.

I hope that no-one took my comment to be about the people who run the competition. They have run 3 fantastic events up to now. My question was to do with the change of size in the venue, and whether it can still be possible to run an event of the same standard as previous years.

It may well be just as fantastic. However, I really think that more information (especially around size of dancefloor and numbers attending) needs to be given. And it would be interesting to find out how the Winter Gardens managed to break the contract.

Steve

Paul F
4th-January-2004, 03:15 AM
The only measurements i could find were of the Empress Ballroom (Winter Gardens) and the Spanish Room (Winter Gardens).

I didnt go to the tower last time but im guessing from all the hype in the articles online about the Winter Gardens that the tower isnt as big as the Empress.

Spanish

Dimensions
Length = 24m (78' 9")
Width = 19.5m (63' 11")
Height = 12.8m (42 feet)

Empress

Dimensions
Length = 48.4m (158' 6")
Width = 24m (88')
Height = 19.35m (63' 6")

Minnie M
4th-January-2004, 03:31 AM

Why was the email from Peter PJ Kershaw <peterkershaw@connectfree.co.uk> :confused:

Will
4th-January-2004, 03:54 AM
This sounds like gutting news. I feel really sorry for the C2D team apart from anything else. They put on such a good event every year and to have this done to them just sucks!

Thinking positively about what we can do, it's nice to see that someone has already suggested a source of legal advice should it be appropriate.

However my 4 main pieces of advice to dancers UK wide are :-

1. Go to the event regardless and support what will surely still be a fantastic weekend!

2. BOYCOTT TRAVIS :reallymad, buy no more of there albums or singles, attend no more of there gigs, and burn any music of theirs that might currently be in your possession.

3. All Ceroc/MJ DJ's must immediately remove any travis tracks from your play lists. Never again should a Travis :reallymad track sully the ears of UK dancers.

4. Everyone lookout for venues where future Travis :reallymad gigs are to be held and ring up the venue owners and try to gazzump their booking and hold a Lucky Dip competition instead! (Obviously this task falls to the more wealthy among us)

:reallymad :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad :reallymad

Neil
4th-January-2004, 03:57 AM
the venue for the comp has now been changed to the Tower Ballroom Bad news indeed. The Tower Ballroom is beautiful, but it's way smaller than the Winter Gardens. Freestyle / DWAS will be a nightmare. Like Will, I feel sorry for the C2D team :sad:

Neil

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Bad news indeed. The Tower Ballroom is beautiful, but it's way smaller than the Winter Gardens. Freestyle / DWAS will be a nightmare. Like Will, I feel sorry for the C2D team :sad:

Neil

How much smaller is "way smaller than the Winter Gardens". I'm starting to get one of those horrible feelings of impending doom. I want to go, I want to support the C2D team. But I don't want to go to a cramped event where everything is too crowded to enjoy the freestyle. And for me the freestyle is an important part of the day as I'll only be competing for about 12 minutes at the most.

We need some information and we need it fast. Do we book? Don't we? If we leave it any longer will there be any places left?

This is an absolutely horrible horrible situation, it's 3.16 in Sunny Scotland and this news means I can't even think about sleeping:tears:

My heart goes out to the C2D team. Can one of them help me with some reassurance, please:hug:

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Paul F
Spanish

Dimensions
Length = 24m (78' 9")
Width = 19.5m (63' 11")
Height = 12.8m (42 feet)

Empress

Dimensions
Length = 48.4m (158' 6")
Width = 24m (88')
Height = 19.35m (63' 6")

This information means that the new venue for the friday is only as long as the old one is wide.

Here is the maths.

19.5x24=468
48.4x24=1,161.6

468/1,161.6=0.4029

LESS THAN HALF THE SIZE:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Minnie M
4th-January-2004, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know the sizes of the dancing area ?

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Will
1. Go to the event regardless and support what will surely still be a fantastic weekend!
It's my intention to do that very thing :D

2. BOYCOTT TRAVIS :reallymad.............../snip/........
3.Never again should a Travis :reallymad track sully the ears of UK dancers.
4. Everyone lookout for venues where future Travis :reallymad gigs are to be held and ring up the venue owners and try to gazzump their booking and hold a Lucky Dip competition instead! (Obviously this task falls to the more wealthy among us) :D
Oi, watch it Will, this is a Scottish Forum and Travis are a Scottish band :na:
Joking aside, I'm sure they (Travis) know nothing about any of this . Easy to vent our wrath against the people who will perform there :sorry but surely this has been a management decision, discussed at length (ok, I'm guessing) with the Winter Gardens, Concert organisers and (I would hope) the Chance to Dance Team.

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Minnie M
Why was the email from Peter PJ Kershaw <peterkershaw@connectfree.co.uk> :confused:
The e-mail sent to me came from Keith Davies.

TheTramp
4th-January-2004, 11:01 AM
Oi, watch it Will, this is a Scottish Forum and Travis are a Scottish band :na: Yeah Will. You should know better than to insult anything Scottish when Sheena is around :wink:

Joking aside, I'm sure they (Travis) know nothing about any of this . Easy to vent our wrath against the people who will perform there :sorry but surely this has been a management decision, discussed at length (ok, I'm guessing) with the Winter Gardens, Concert organisers and (I would hope) the Chance to Dance Team. Or it may be quite possible that the C2D team had no choice in the matter. There could have been some clause in their contract with the Winter Gardens that said that the Winter Gardens could cancel the booking if something far more lucrative or high profile came along.

Steve

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2004, 11:30 AM
Or it may be quite possible that the C2D team had no choice in the matter.
I wasn't suggesting that they would have been willing participants in this change and apologise if my post came across that way. :sorry

TheTramp
4th-January-2004, 01:20 PM
I wasn't suggesting that they would have been willing participants in this change and apologise if my post came across that way. :sorry No need to apologise. I was merely pointing out an alternative possibility. Until one of the C2D team tell us what's happened, it's all just speculation anyhow.

Steve

Stuart M
4th-January-2004, 01:45 PM
The Travis gig at the Empress Ballroom, Winter Gardens (I never knew that was the proper name!) was apparently announced late November. For example, check the Radio 1 news site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/altnews/031121_travis.shtml).

Having gone to the tea-dance on the Sunday last year, the dancefloor at the Tower Ballroom was more of a square shape than that at the Winter Gardens. Thanks to different lighting and numbers present I can't compare it size-wise (beautiful decor though). The seating area around it is definitely smaller than at the Winter Gardens, however. Anyway as Steve says this is speculation so I'll stop now :sorry.

I'll still be going in any case :)

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M

I'll still be going in any case :)

I've got to agree, I can't see me staying away as a reasonable option - I'd be sitting at home wishing I was there.

I'm sure the whole event will be fantastic. It's the same organisers, we'll all be the same up-for-it crowd of competitors and spectators. And now we'll be united in adversity too.

Now all we need is a common enemy. It's either Travis or the Empress Ballroom booking department. Either way they will be 500 yards down the road - I suggest we soften them up with mortars and rocket grenades before we send in the Scottish infantry:devil:

Or we could really scare them and show that picture of the Tramp and me that recently resurfaced:devil: :devil:

Alternatively, we could buy all the Travis tickets and hold our dance contest to Travis playing on stage - that'd surprise them.:wink:

Neil
4th-January-2004, 04:40 PM
How much smaller is "way smaller than the Winter Gardens". Sorry, I was probably being too pessimistic when I said way smaller. I don't have any figures (I was only going on my impressions from last year), but obviously it can't be that small if they've held all those ballroom competitions there over the years. And it is a fantastically ornate and beautiful room :)

Neil

Dance Demon
4th-January-2004, 05:14 PM
if my memory serves me correctly.( I am getting on a bit :rolleyes: .)...the actual dacefloor area is probably much the same, but the seating area is smaller. The dance floor however is probably one of the best I have ever danced on, and that includes the Beach Ballroom....which is fab:D ...so there is an upside to everything. I'm sure it will still be a great weekend.

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
The dance floor however is probably one of the best I have ever danced on
You are so right John, although I think the Beach Ballroom gives it a run for it's money :waycool: :D
I remember standing at the side last year (only for a moment mind you :wink: ) and you could feel the floor moving as the dancers were giving it laldy :nice:
Sprung dancefloors :drool: :drool:

Sandy
4th-January-2004, 08:47 PM
Well trust me, first time to Blackpool and now all this controversy about the venue!

Well I am going along with some other Aberdeen Cerocers and we will have a fab time whatever.

See you there!:wink:

Sandy x

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2004, 10:08 PM
Chance 2 Dance
90, Woodhall Road,

South Reddish,

Stockport.

SK5 7QH

Just to remind you - this is the address you should now send your applications to.

DO NOT USE THE PO BOX ADDRESS ON THE BOOKING FORM

Simon
4th-January-2004, 10:10 PM
This is ominous news. The Blackpool event grows year on year (quite rightly, it's the major highlight of the jive calendar). This may be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the plan was to increase the capacity for dancing this year because numbers attending were expected to grow further. I don't know the names of the relevant ballrooms, but I thought the room with the dancefloor next to the main ballroom at the Winter Gardens (the one where there were shoes and clothing stalls last year) was going to be used for freestyling this year, too. If capacity is to be reduced by the change of venue surely numbers will have to be limited? :sad:

I agree with the calls for comment from somebody at Chance Two Dance.

Will
5th-January-2004, 03:15 AM
Alternatively, we could buy all the Travis tickets and hold our dance contest to Travis playing on stage - that'd surprise them.:wink:
A plan of action has now occured to me that could actually reinstate the C2D event in the main ballroom, and Andy, as you are a man of action, I thought I'd suggest it to you...

It is quite often the case that pop concerts get cancelled at the last minute. If for example Travis split up between now and March, we could be in business. A serious bout of food poisoning could also suffice.

Minnie M
5th-January-2004, 01:08 PM
Just got this email from Keith :-

" Overall the Tower is larger, however the dance space is the same, it just has more tears & therefore greater viewing for those wishing to watch the competition from higher up. There will also be a small blues room, on the Sat."

Andy McGregor
5th-January-2004, 01:14 PM
PHEW!

:waycool:

Sheepman
5th-January-2004, 01:40 PM
it just has more tears [/COLOR]
:tears: or tiers?

Here's a pic from last year:-

Even with that small number of dancers, the floor was bouncing like mad - we could all get seasick!

Greg

Sheepman
5th-January-2004, 01:41 PM
Ooops, just to point out to anyone that's not been, that the pic is the Tower ballroom, not the Empress

Greg

Divissima
5th-January-2004, 01:55 PM
With the organ which rises out of the floor!! How cool :waycool:

Bill
5th-January-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
With the organ which rises out of the floor!! How cool :waycool:

:eek: :what: :D

Tiggerbabe
5th-January-2004, 02:05 PM
Another update from Keith :D

The dance space on the floor is the same, give or take a foot or two, if you take into consideration the tables we have around the dance floor in the Winter Gardens. There will be no tables on the dance floor in the Tower.
The total space, including seating, is greater in the Tower, as confirmed by Leisure Parcs.
Last year we took nearly 500 people to the Tower, and there must have been over 300 regulars there, via the Towers Open to the public policy. This year the general public will not be allowed in.
We are also introducing a Blues Room, upstairs, so again this should help for the Freestyle in the evening.
We will be monitoring the numbers though, as last year we felt it was becoming a little cramped, so numbers may be limited this year, but not due to us changing venues.

We introduced the admin fee this year, as we have never really increased our prices over the previous 3 years, although our admin cost has continually increased, i,e room hire, postage, phone calls etc.
We did not feel it fair to increase a particular area, i.e just ticket prices, as this would have an impact on every single person, or if we increased the entrance cost to individual categories, it would only effect competitors.
We felt the fairest way would be an admin charge, this way people entering as couples, or groups would only have a one off £2.50 to pay, not an increase per person!

It is absolutely abysmal & totally unprofessional of the Winter Gardens, but they tell us it is a contract they lost a couple of years ago & they needed it back. They stand to make £30,000 more on this than on ours!
We obviously have the dates booked in advance & have this confirmed for a total of 5 years revolving. Unfortunately The Winter Gardens will not issue a full unconditional contract with these dates. Now we know why!

On an optimistic level the Tower is the home to many International Ballroom Championships, with a better sprung floor, it is internationally renowned & has better spectator viewing points, with an overall capacity greater than that of the Empress Ballrooms.
We are obviously sorry about the inconvenience & look forward to the Competition being returned to the Empress Ballroom for the 2005 competition.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could let others know of the above points.

So get those forms filled in and see you there :hug:

Minnie M
5th-January-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
:tears: or tiers?

Here's a pic from last year:-

Even with that small number of dancers, the floor was bouncing like mad - we could all get seasick!

Greg

wow Greg !:really:

- my spelling is REALLY bad, but not guilty here, I did a 'cut & paste' however it could have been :tears:

David Franklin
5th-January-2004, 02:15 PM
Just got this email from Keith :-

"Overall the Tower is larger, however the dance space is the same, it just has more tears & therefore greater viewing for those wishing to watch the competition from higher up. There will also be a small blues room, on the Sat." This is somewhat reassuring, and from the pictures of both I've seen on the 'net, roughly what I reckoned with respect to the actual dance floor size.

However, from what I recall, there is a *lot* more spectator space at dance floor level at the Winter Gardens. It was a really superb venue in terms of holding such a large audience in relative comfort. There was no problem finding seats near the action... Because of course, when people want to dance, they don't really want to be sitting a couple of flights of stairs up from the dance floor.

If I'm remembering right, this could still be a problem - even if everyone is prepared to watch from upstairs, it's probably going to cause a lot of delays, what with having to wait for people to get on/off the floor. [Brings to mind an earlier discussion about whether you should expect freestyle during competitions - it's probably going to be harder than usual to manage that now...]

Does anyone have actual dimensions (both room and dance area)?

Dave

[As I preview this before posting I see there's another message from Keith. I'd still like to know the room sizes - I don't think excluding tables is going to magically stop people from watching at floor level].

Dance Demon
5th-January-2004, 05:20 PM
We are obviously sorry about the inconvenience & look forward to the Competition being returned to the Empress Ballroom for the 2005 competition.

And maybe the Tower Ballroom will prove to be a better venue, C2D, might decide to have the event there every year, and the Winter Gardens might lose this event altogether:na:
and it would serve them right..........

Sandy
5th-January-2004, 07:15 PM
So get those forms filled in and see you there :hug:
Done! Can't wait!:grin:

See you there (and some before!)

:kiss: :wink:

Keith
5th-January-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys,
I would just like to thank you all for your positive & continued support re our Competition in Blackpool.
I have put full details on another link, Please see;
Social Events, Official C2D Info etc
Many thanks & we at C2D look forward to seeing you all at Blackpool. It wouldn't be the same without you!
Keith

TonyC2D
6th-January-2004, 09:21 PM
Hiya
And Happy New year, to all.
I would just like to thank everybody for their kind wishes and support from the geezer on stage in Blackpool, I have noticed that there is a certain ammount of concern on the forum about the diamensions of the dancefloor in the Tower, well here they are:-
Room Size; Length 33m x Width 40m
Stage; Width 16m x Depth 9m

Hope this puts peoples minds at ease.

Thanks again
Tony

Tiggerbabe
8th-January-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Keith
It wouldn't be the same without you!

Nah! It would be waaaayyyyyyy too quiet !:wink: :waycool:

djsaz
8th-January-2004, 10:29 AM
hiya, re blackpool 2004

the more noise and encouragement the better, it certainly raises the atmosphere, and also helps me (one of the fab djs) to make all tracks swinging and pumping. Feeding off the atmosphere is the biggest influence upon my choices.

look forward to seeing you all at the Tower, we will make blackpool rock!!

saz

Bill
8th-January-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by djsaz
look forward to seeing you all at the Tower, we will make blackpool rock!!

saz

ohh goody..................... will it be long and red with 'Scotland' running through it. We can make it when there's a lull in the proceedings :na: :D

TheTramp
14th-January-2004, 09:26 PM
Does anyone have the rules for the competition this year handy?

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that 'baby' airsteps are permitted - provided part of the ladies body is below the guys waist. Does it have to be a foot?

Is this true. And to what sections does it apply if it is?

(I looked at the rules on the C2D site, and it's still saying that one foot must be on the floor)

Steve

Dance Demon
14th-January-2004, 10:58 PM
Rule No. 4
Air steps will not be allowed;ie one foot (of the person being lead) must stay below the waist of their partner.

From the application form Steve. So I would take it that as long as one foot is below waist level, then both the followers feet can be off the ground.

TheTramp
14th-January-2004, 11:06 PM
Cheers John.

Does that apply to all freestyle sections? (inters, advanced, lucky dip and seniors?).

Steve

Divissima
14th-January-2004, 11:25 PM
Yes, applies to all categories, Steve.

I bet you've got some good'uns up your sleeve :waycool:

Dance Demon
14th-January-2004, 11:28 PM
Lindy Hop, Double trouble, Air Steps, Spotlight, team cabaret, ..rule 4 does not apply. For all other categories, it does.

TheTramp
14th-January-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys. Most appreciated.

I might possibly know one or two Miss Divi!! :wink:

Steve

Stuart M
15th-January-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Rule No. 4
Air steps will not be allowed;ie one foot (of the person being lead) must stay below the waist of their partner.

From the application form Steve. So I would take it that as long as one foot is below waist level, then both the followers feet can be off the ground.
Hmm...I must say, in the light of this I'm tempted to withdraw my entry from the "Take a Chance" comp :sad:. I'm not keen to be on a dance floor where there are couples who may never have danced with each other before attempting airsteps - even "baby" ones. Even something simple like a first move lift can be risky (am I reading this correctly to say that this move would be allowed, because the lady keeps one leg straight and therefore the foot is below their partner's waist?). And a first move jump could also be legal under this rule - another risky move, depending on how far the lady travels. I know - the only time I ever attempted it freestyle I almost caused an accident :sorry

I can accept the rule being written this way for Intermediate, Advanced, etc. - the couples know each other - but "Take a Chance"? Too risky IMHO. Should still say "one foot on the floor".

Will stop now before I inherit Peter's title of "Chief Worrier"

Keith
15th-January-2004, 01:33 AM
Hi Guys,
This rule was never introduced to encourage airsteps in any of the other categories.
We changed this rule so as we did not have to disqualify people for not having the ball of their foot on the dance floor at all times!
As most dancers have a problem keeping their balls on the floor at some time or other, whether due to the lead wishing to do a little skip or a jump, or for the follow, coming out of a dip or drop, slightly off balance.
It will be interesting to see people trying to execute baby aerials in these categories, as they will be awarded no more points, than if they executed a decent intermediate move, in time with the music, if anything from what I’ve seen, these moves will be over zealous, possibly clumsy, possibly dangerous & often out of time with the music!
If I was a betting man I know which type of moves I would be looking to perform.
However, each to their own & good luck. Seems a shame to throw away easier points though.
Keith
:confused:

Tiggerbabe
15th-January-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Keith
As most dancers have a problem keeping their balls on the floor at some time or other
Nope - can honestly say - it's not a problem I've ever had :rofl: :rofl: - Nice one Keith *ha ha ha*

TonyC2D
15th-January-2004, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry, but there seems to be a little confusion on this matter, and it appears that we have failed to make the matter clear. The TAC round should not have any airsteps allowed, and I will make it very clear from the stage.
Sorry for any confusion.

Tony

Keith
15th-January-2004, 02:03 AM
:wink:
Didn't think so.
Thanks Sheena

Stuart M
15th-January-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by TonyC2D
I'm sorry, but there seems to be a little confusion on this matter, and it appears that we have failed to make the matter clear. The TAC round should not have any airsteps allowed, and I will make it very clear from the stage.
Sorry for any confusion.

Tony
Thanks for that, Tony. I pretty much understood what the rewriting of the rule was aimed at, but was concerned that some folk might try to bend it. We've all seen people who take dance competitions far too seriously, and would pull out all the stops even in a DWAS comp. At the very first comp I went to, I remember seeing a guy hand over a matching t-shirt to his DWAS partner and drag her off to practice the moment they were paired up :what:

Andy McGregor
15th-January-2004, 10:15 AM
We've all seen people who take dance competitions far too seriously, and would pull out all the stops even in a DWAS comp. At the very first comp I went to, I remember seeing a guy hand over a matching t-shirt to his DWAS partner and drag her off to practice the moment they were paired up :what:

As most people know, in recent years I've made an art form of not taking dance comps seriously. But I wasn't always like that, back in the days when I thought I had a chance I even took loads of different shirts so I could match my partners outfit in DWAS:blush:

Some people will always take dance comps seriously. Even if one of the judging criteria was 'doesn't take it seriously' people would practice that for months until they'd perfected it:wink:

Nowadays I've realised the error of my ways. I practice a bit, but it's more of a rehearsal than anything else. And it's only a few nights. Any more than that and things would start to get too serious and the fun element would be lost for me.

Having said that, I know plenty of people get huge pleasure out of all of the practicing night after night, but that isn't for me and would spoil the fun of a nights dancing for me. I think the answer, as usual, is do what you enjoy and stop when it stops being fun:waycool:

Jayne
15th-January-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks for that, Tony. I pretty much understood what the rewriting of the rule was aimed at, but was concerned that some folk might try to bend it. We've all seen people who take dance competitions far too seriously, and would pull out all the stops even in a DWAS comp. At the very first comp I went to, I remember seeing a guy hand over a matching t-shirt to his DWAS partner and drag her off to practice the moment they were paired up :what:

He then produced a matching pair of T-shirts for the next round and I don't think they got through to the second round... Faaarrr too serious!

J :nice:

Heather
15th-January-2004, 01:41 PM
And so do some of the other Forum Members.:wink: :wink:
I'm afraid if anyone had done that to me, I would have told him EXACTLY where to shove his TSHIRT !!!!!:sick:
It seems to me that the person in question is not so much 'serious', but 'arrogant', how else could he presume that a lady would condescend to wear a cheap TShirt belonging to someone else. I certainly don't spend money on an outfit, dressing up for a competition, albeit DWAS, only to be asked to wear something belonging to someone else.!!!!!:mad: :mad:
:hug:
Heather,
X

Dreadful Scathe
15th-January-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Heather
I certainly don't spend money on an outfit, dressing up for a competition, albeit DWAS, only to be asked to wear something belonging to someone else.!!!

Yeah, but thats if its a cheap t-shirt - what if its a full smurf costume ? :)

Gus
15th-January-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm afraid if anyone had done that to me, I would have told him EXACTLY where to shove his TSHIRT !!!!!:sick:
It seems to me that the person in question is not so much 'serious', but 'arrogant', Heather,
X

Urrrr ... isn't the chap a member of this Forum? It wasn't quite THAT bad a sin was it? Just an example of bursting enthusiasm?:grin:

Sheepman
15th-January-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm afraid if anyone had done that to me, I would have told him EXACTLY where to shove his TSHIRT !!!!!:sick: [/B] :rofl: :rofl:

I have to plead guilty to taking a selection of shirts in order to avoid a dreadful clash, (but my dancing usually does that anyway!), there again, it doesn't take long to get sick of the sight (and smell) of the gents, with all the multiple changes going on. My TAC changing days are now over!

Greg

Andy McGregor
15th-January-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe - Cheap Wiggle Smuggler
Yeah, but thats if its a cheap t-shirt - what if its a full smurf costume ? :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SheepsterI have to plead guilty to taking a selection of shirts in order to avoid a dreadful clash, (but my dancing usually does that anyway!), there again, it doesn't take long to get sick of the sight (and smell) of the gents, with all the multiple changes going on. My TAC changing days are now over![QUOTE]

We must be sharing the same thoughts on TAC shirts. And I must admit that I'm finding that I see more of the changing rooms than I would like at comps. Also, I need to write a carefully compiled list of the order of my heats - at Blackpool last year I got so mixed up I did the second round of the TAC in a skirt instead of a shiny white suit:sick:

And while I'm on here Mr Sheepster, I would like to remind you that if the injury you gave my competition partner lasts very long you will be taking her place :wink:

Sheepman
15th-January-2004, 05:01 PM
I would like to remind you that if the injury you gave my competition partner lasts very long you will be taking her place :wink: I thought it was YOU taking HER place?

And in case anyone gets the wrong idea here, I must defend myself, the injury was purely down to her slipping, in new shoes, on a slippery floor, I feel guilty enough that I was too far away to catch her before she hit the ground, and that after giving some initial attention, I went back to the dancing while she had to just sit and watch. I'm not sure who was most shocked at the incident, I think it was me, because she is always so perfectly balanced and in control. There was nothing I could do, but still . . . :sorry :sorry :sorry

Greg