PDA

View Full Version : Britrock?

Andy McGregor
24th-October-2011, 05:44 PM
Report anyone? Winners? Dramas? Controversy? Anything?

I'm surprised we haven't already seen anything on here.

p.s. I couldn't be there. while the competition was on I was competing on the water off Hill Head in the Solent.

Lory
24th-October-2011, 06:37 PM
I haven't heard a thing :confused:

I'm wondering if its only the same few people competing against each other in all the comps, just different venues, with different judges?

David Bailey
24th-October-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm wondering if its only the same few people competing against each other in all the comps, just different venues, with different judges?
I think you're onto something. There's obviously only 1 competition, and the "victory shots" are just different backgrounds photoshopped in.

Andy McGregor
25th-October-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm wondering if its only the same few people competing against each other in all the comps, just different venues, with different judges?This was the case when I used to be on the competition circuit. Pretty much the same people were in the final at each competition. Sometimes the 'different judges' would change the order, but they'd be picking from a very similar pool of competitors each time.

Of course there'd be 'new' people entering each competition. Sometimes they'd do OK and other times they'd get knocked out in the first round. At one time even I was the shiny new boy - no, this wasn't during war time! I can't remember the exact sequence of things, but it took a while to get noticed by the judges. Eventually I won a medal at the Winter Gardens - it was a bronze in the intermediate, I can't remember the year, I think it was just after the end of rationing.

Back to Britrock. All I've heard is that the Friday dance wasn't very busy until very near the end - but this is the same every year. At a party on Saturday night I met someone who'd competed on the Saturday - he's a very good dancer and won a gold at the last 2 Britrocks but got knocked out in the first round at this one - my guess is that the standard must have been very high! I have heard nothing else.

p.s. Just so there's a result to post on here, we came 7th in the last J80 race on Sunday! Which is much better than the previous Sunday where we were DNC and had to be towed back to the mouth of the Hamble river :tears:

DavidB
25th-October-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm wondering if its only the same few people competing against each other in all the comps, just different venues, with different judges?Isn't that a bit like weekenders. The same people dancing with each other, just with different venues, and different DJs?:devil:

Andy McGregor
25th-October-2011, 10:33 AM
Isn't that a bit like weekenders. The same people dancing with each other, just with different venues, and different DJs?:devil:I think that's the blues/swing/too-cool-for-school room. In my experience that main room has many new faces at each weekender.

Lory
25th-October-2011, 11:16 AM
Isn't that a bit like weekenders. The same people dancing with each other, just with different venues, and different DJs?:devil:I couldn't agree more.

My point is, somehow it seems to be less and less newsworthy to those who aren't on the competition circuit. So unless something dramatic happens, like someone breaks a leg, its more or less the same story each time.

And the same goes for weekenders really.

I'm merely trying to think of a reason why nothing much has been written about it

David Bailey
25th-October-2011, 12:08 PM
I couldn't agree more.

My point is, somehow it seems to be less and less newsworthy to those who aren't on the competition circuit. So unless something dramatic happens, like someone breaks a leg, its more or less the same story each time.
Yup. Too many competitions means no-one really cares about them. It's like celebrating the arrival of a bus. Plus, they're evil.

Competitions, that is. Not buses.

Andy McGregor
25th-October-2011, 12:23 PM
Competitions, that is. Not buses.Except those non-buses. The ones that don't come. They're evil incarnate, especially if it's cold and wet!

Andy McGregor
25th-October-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm merely trying to think of a reason why nothing much has been written about itI'm left wondering the same thing. I don't think I've seen anything on facebook either. My guess is that the irrepressible Simon Rich is currently looking elswhere.

David Franklin
25th-October-2011, 04:58 PM
Yup. Too many competitions means no-one really cares about them. It's like celebrating the arrival of a bus. Plus, they're evil.

Competitions, that is. Not buses.Well, there was that bright red bus that was possessed and went around killing people...

Oh, sorry, my mistake, it was a 1958 Plymouth Fury.

alinp
25th-October-2011, 10:33 PM
see Britroc page on Facebook - it's all there :)

Andy McGregor
26th-October-2011, 09:47 AM
see Britroc page on Facebook - it's all there :)Can you post link to this page? The Britroc page I looked at on facebook yesterday had no results, just a few people saying they wished they were there and a bit of the usual post-competition gushing of luvvies.

I've looked back today and there's a bit more from some luvvies, but no results. Maybe the'll be up there some time soon. Here is the link. (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=722706994#!/groups/157035497687452/)

There's nothing on the website either. I guess it will be posted when they're good and ready. Here is the link. (http://www.mj-competition.co.uk/BritRoc/)

However, both of those places above will give you the official line. I can gush a sample of that to you now 'awesome day', 'best event ever', 'highest standard of dancing', 'thank the competitors for all their hard work', 'Nicole/John Armstrong-Holmes looked lovely', etc, etc. What I'd like to read is what the competitors and specators thought. The usual 'great, good, bad, ugly' format would be, erm, great.

alinp
26th-October-2011, 06:21 PM
The results are in one of Nicole's posts on the Facebook link you've kindly added...

But..... to save time

Britroc 2011 - RESULTS

Advanced Point Position
11 Ekow Oduro Kirstin Oliver 102 1
6 Martin Bendle Sophie Beasant 99.5 2
5 Matthew Evans Emily Richardson 98 3
10 Craig Walker Sophie Ross-Smith 92 4
3 Craig Coventry Rachel Berryman 88 5
1 Jason Stump Sam Buckle 80 6

Air Steps
2 Lee Perrott Dawn Fougler 104 1
3 Herbie Bastien Kirstin Oliver 89.5 2
1 Gareth Jones Hannah Andrew 78.5 3
4 Mary Kyte Jason Stump 67.5 4

Influential Teacher
3 Martin Bendle Sophie Beasant 101 1
4 Euan Brouwers Charlotte Brigden 89.5 2
7 Andy Middleton Dawn Hanley 87 3
2 Craig Coventry Rachel Berryman 83.5 4
1 Jason Stump Sam Buckle 80.5 5
5 Martin Eden Diana Snell 79 6
6 Jorge Gueorguiev Garcia Monica Or 70.5 7

Intermediate
2 Daniel Rakauskas Lucy Barlow 98.5 1
4 Gareth Jones Hannah Andrew 98 2
12 Euan Brouwers Charlotte Brigden 96.5 3
13 Allistair Nunn-Price Barbara Coole 88.5 4
1 Graham Fieldhouse Natasha Davies 83 5
15 David Roberts Katie Regan 78 6

Open
1 Kevin Town Angieszka Maczka 110 1
3 Aleks Izabela Szydelko 108 2
6 Ekow Oduro Kirstin Oliver 91 3
4 Danny Lewington Jenni Harrison 85.5 4

Spotlight
Aleksander Izabela 112 1
Richard Zoe 106.5 2
Herbie Kirstin 68.5 3

Seniors
2 Ian Shailer Anne Litherland 102 1
3 Chris Turk Beverley Carpenter 91.5 2
4 John Dixon Angela Fitton 91 3
5 Alan Parkes Deborah Parkes 77 4
1 Nick Bell Jane Sampson 66.5 5

Double Trouble
2 Dawn Fougler Melanie Blackham Lee Perrott 115 1
1 Denise Jaques Paul Richards Mary Kyte 92 2

Gus
26th-October-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm REALLY out of the scene these days ... looked at the results and think I only recognised two names :sick:

Minnie M
27th-October-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm REALLY out of the scene these days ... looked at the results and think I only recognised two names :sick:

me too - can count names I know on one hand :(

David Bailey
27th-October-2011, 10:13 AM
What do the numbers mean (eg. 98.1 or whatever)?

Tiggerbabe
27th-October-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm guessing that's the points total.

Andy McGregor
27th-October-2011, 11:55 AM
The results are in one of Nicole's posts on the Facebook link you've kindly added...Sorry, I didn't click 'more'. I'd guessed, wrongly, that it was more luvviness, sorry :blush:

However, what we usually see and would like to see on here is a report from someone who attended as a dancer/customer/competitor/spectator rather than something from the organiser or their chums. That way we get a balanced view rather than people toeing the company line. So far we've not heard anything at all.

On the subject of the winners. Yes, there's loads of new names that I don't recognise from last year. That there's new people is great. But does it mean last years medallists didn't attend or that the new guys beat them to the podium?

Allez-Cat
27th-October-2011, 12:06 PM
Can't find a result on the 'Take a Chance' category? Anyone?