PDA

View Full Version : Pop Idol

Chris
25th-December-2003, 11:38 PM
A bit of silliness . . .

So who's going to win World Pop Idol?

Anyone want to make a nice cheesy prediction?

Is it a two horse race between UK and USA?

I thought Will Young was great, but there's other songs that show his voice better. The USA girl (Kelly) sounds like she's so already a superstar and in the top bracket. Would you choose her? The Australian afro-hair singer sounded like a second Stevie Wonder I thought - incredible vocal range and control. I liked the Belgian guy (Peter) who did the Nirvana song but he does look like a fab heavy metal singer rather than a pop idol. Likewise the Pan-Arabic girl had the most wonderful voice but sadly it's very hard to compete internationally singing an Arabic song. The Norwegian bloke (Kurt - singing U2's Beautiful Day) had great personality and voice and again not the standard pop idol type. For the others, I thought the wee Polish girl was good for taking her own judge down a peg or two (shame about the song). And only Ant & Dec could get away with a joke like "They may be foreign, but they've got feelings too." :blush:

A great show though (and it's repeated 11am tomorrow 26th if you missed it and fancy guessing :nice: )

Ciao

Neil
2nd-January-2004, 06:22 PM
Sorry, Chris, didn't catch the program, but I gather our boy only came fifth :tears:

The winner was Kurt Nilsen from Norway:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3362257.stm

BTW, the German judge was, bizarrely, a woman from Nottingham (hurrah!):
Shona's on top of World Idol show (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=66056&command=displayContent&sourceNode=65583&contentPK=8271055)

:cheers:

Neil

Chris
2nd-January-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Neil
The winner was Kurt Nilsen from Norway

Most countries gave him the max points. He (and his voice) was memorable in a lovable sort of way, and didn't look like the average made-to-measure pop idol (which Will Young and the US entry, in spite of their remarkable voices, do a tad).

I played at guessing by text with a friend who I predicted would be watching - but after the third lot of votes came in it looked obvious the Norwegian would probably win.

(I'm sure there's some dance parallels on what makes a winner, but I won't go there :wink: )