PDA

View Full Version : The Jive Aces

Minnie M
23rd-December-2003, 01:25 AM
For your info (for Forumites in Scotland that is) - I am on the Jive Aces mailing list

Tues, 30th Dec, 12:00pm till 4:00pm - The Jive Aces & Friends Against Drugs, Prince's Mall, Prince's St, Edinburgh (MC Craig McMurdo with special guests Saor Patrol)

Tues, 30th Dec, 8:00pm - Jive Dance @ The Tax Centre, East Kilbride, Glasgow, Scotland, UK (tickets from 01355 521 237)

Wed, 31st Dec, 9:00pm - Narconon Charity Swing Concert, Burgh Hall, High St, Pebbles (tickets from Whitie's Newsagents 01721 720 169)

Thurs, 1st Jan, 8:00pm - Waikiki Beach Bar, Fountain Park, Dundee Street, Edinburgh, UK (tickets from 07900 215 566)

Great swing band and great entertainment, however difficult to dance to for MJ

Minnie M (aka Lynda's List)

Tiggerbabe
23rd-December-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Minnie M
They played a great set (well two :D ) at the BB Minnie and had people on the dance floor most of the time - think Franck had asked that they play their slower stuff :waycool:
Loved their bright yellow suits though :D

Minnie M
23rd-December-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
- think Franck had asked that they play their slower stuff :waycool:

That's great news for MJ I will pass the word about - I have only heard them play the fast stuff.

Did you get a dance ? They are great dancers too !

Dance Demon
23rd-December-2003, 10:57 AM
Don't worry if some of their stuff is a bit fast.........Coz I'll be there to play loads of stuff that you can all dance to at the Boogienights event on the 1st Jan at Waikiki Beach.......:waycool:

Tiggerbabe
23rd-December-2003, 11:47 AM
Did you get a dance ? They are great dancers too !
Blast! NO I didn't - although I did see them dancing to a few tracks later on :D
And be warned - the stuff they played was s-l-o-w-e-r that doesn't mean it was slow :rofl: :rofl:

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
23rd-December-2003, 05:46 PM
does any body know - will there be tickets on the door at Waikiki Beach?
I am not sure what state I will be in on new years day so don't want to book up.:drool:
Maybe I should as I heard there are only a few tickets left already....

Who is organising this fabby event anyway?

Dance Demon
24th-December-2003, 12:17 AM
Siobhan,
i think there will be tickets at the door. the Event is being organised by Lindsay at Boogienights, so might be worth giving her a call or drop her an e mail or PM Advanced tickets are only £8, so you save yourself £2 for a fabby night:D

Lindsay
24th-December-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanx DD...

Looking forward to it, especially if your music's anything like last Sat. :grin:
Yes, still tickets left. Best to email (dance@boogienights.net) rather than PM for tickets.

Daphne
26th-December-2003, 09:12 PM
I have heard a lot about dance demon's music and can't wait to dance my socks off next saturday :nice:

Lindsay
29th-December-2003, 06:22 PM
Over 100 tickets sold, but you can still pay at the door if you haven't bought one yet.......
Should be a great night :grin:

Petal
29th-December-2003, 06:24 PM
Are any of the Dundee or Perth crew going to this event. I'd love to go but would be happier if a knew a few familiar faces were going to be there. My regular dance buddies are doing other things.

Simon
29th-December-2003, 10:19 PM

Saw the Jive Aces last night for the first time at a charity event organised by Leroc South Coast in Bournemouth. It was an excellent set, really entertaining (except for the bit when the lead singer and trumpet player jumped down from the stage and proceeded to steal my partner and dance with her while continuing to play the trumpet! :what: :nice: )

Twinkle Toes
30th-December-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Daphne
I have heard a lot about dance demon's music and can't wait to dance my socks off next saturday :nice:
...err it's Thursday Daphne,

Wouldn't want you to miss an excellent band and the incredible, Dance Demon !!!

TT x

Tiggerbabe
30th-December-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Simon
It was an excellent set, really entertaining (except for the bit when the lead singer and trumpet player jumped down from the stage and proceeded to steal my partner and dance with her while continuing to play the trumpet! :what: :nice: )
show offs! :wink: :wink: (sounds entertaining to me though :D )

Jive Brummie
30th-December-2003, 05:02 PM
For your info (for Forumites in Scotland that is) - I am on the Jive Aces mailing list

Wed, 31st Dec, 9:00pm - Narconon Charity Swing Concert, Burgh Hall, High St, Pebbles (tickets from Whitie's Newsagents 01721 720 169)

Minnie M (aka Lynda's List)

I'm also on the mailing list and Kathleen? the Jive Aces PR woman phoned me yesterday to tell me about the above event in Peebles , stating that it was cheaper to go if you are a dancer.... in fact ticket prices for 'dancers' are £11 and the rest of the world has to pay £22... Good eh?

Not sure how you prove you're a dancer though, s'pose you have to jump around a bit when you pick your ticket up...

James:cheers:

Daphne
30th-December-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes
...err it's Thursday Daphne,
TT x

Whoops- my days are all muddled with all this holiday milarky. I have it down as thurs, don't worry Twinkle Toes :cheers:

Dance Demon
2nd-January-2004, 12:49 PM
Wow...what a night. great atmosphere , and nice to dance in a night club type setting,:waycool: .......
Two great sets by the Jive Aces.....they seem to have got things right for modern jivers now, and know what pace to play at. They are also very entertaining to watch.
Was great working in a professional DJ booth....was like being in the cockpit of an aeroplane, with lots of instuments and switches, but I managed to get through the night without pressing any of the wrong ones.
Well done Lindsay for having the courage to arrange this at such short notice. Those who didn't make it mised a great new year jive party :D

Lindsay
5th-January-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks very much to all who came along, a huge turnout, >200 - very surprising, I thought everyone would be in bed....!!

Photos (http://boogie.webspace.fish.co.uk/photos9.htm)

Bill
5th-January-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Thanks very much to all who came along, a huge turnout, >200 - very surprising, I thought everyone would be in bed....!!

But some of us didn't make the Hogmany party they had planned for :sick: :rolleyes: so this was a great addition. Had a really great night and really enjoyed some great music and some really wonderful lindy and swing dancers. I even managed a couple of faster tracks :na: :D Great night Lindsay and huge thanks to you and John for the selection of music inthe last hour :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2004, 12:18 PM
You can get the Jive Aces tour dates from here...

http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/35297/The_Jive_Aces.html

They are at Marcos in Edinburgh Friday night (where i do my first DJ stint ever).

Then the Forum in Aberdeen Saturday of course.

Anyone going to both ? :

Tiggerbabe
28th-August-2004, 08:34 AM
So, how did it go DS? :clap: :clap:
I'm looking forward to tonight in Aberdeen, me and the Gaylord are going and I know Gadget's gonna be there, so that's at least a half a dozen dances sorted.
I'm not getting caught out this time either :D , with that song they start really slow and it ends up twice the speed of zoot suit riot *puff, pant* :rofl:

SteveB
28th-August-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm looking forward to tonight in Aberdeen, me and the Gaylord are going and I know Gadget's gonna be there, so that's at least a half a dozen dances sorted.
I'm not getting caught out this time either :D , with that song they start really slow and it ends up twice the speed of zoot suit riot *puff, pant* :rofl:

Its only a fiver on the door...very reasonable!

Dance Demon
28th-August-2004, 02:12 PM

I can report that his Smurfness played a very good and varied set on his button pushing debut..........even if it was from a laptop... :wink: :D
Jive Aces played a very dance friendly set, though I must admit that having seen them several times now, the novelty has worn off a bit. Nice touch to have Paul Paterson from Edinburgh band Hi Voltage guesting on steel guitar though. Gave a couple of songs a nice Western swing sound :waycool:

Tiggerbabe
28th-August-2004, 02:31 PM
I can report that his Smurfness played a very good and varied set on his button pushing debut..........even if it was from a laptop... :wink: :D

Playlist DS? :clap: :clap:

Rhythm King
29th-August-2004, 12:28 PM
Good to meet you DD! And thanks to Lindsay and everyone else for making me so welcome (even if you did get me up under false pretences, Linz :wink: ). Well worth the trip from London. Now for Southport and the BFG!

:yeah: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done DS, a nice, eclectic, danceable mix. So you gonna push the buttons for us at the BFG now? If not, perhaps we can get you a guest spot at one or two of the London venues - Smurfs on Tour!

Jive Aces played a very dance friendly set, ~snip~ Nice touch to have Paul Paterson from Edinburgh band Hi Voltage guesting on steel guitar though. Gave a couple of songs a nice Western swing sound :waycool:

I hadn't seen them before but the good things I'd heard are all true! Of course they were a bit difficult to see, what with the camouflage suits blending so well with the yellow walls!

Cheers Everyone

R-K

Dreadful Scathe
29th-August-2004, 02:04 PM
Playlist DS? :clap: :clap:
DJ'ing is strangely stressful, as a result i forgot to
write my playlist out. I kept changing what i was going to play next based
on the floors reaction + there was a good mix of swing/jive dancers so i had a balance.

it was roughly this(someone remind me if i missed any)....

Austin Powers theme (cant remember actual title)
Outkast - Hey Ya
Bobby Darin - Minnie the Moocher
Some classic swing track (I mp3'd the cd and it came out named "Track 5")
Kylie Minogue - Slow
Colin James - Shout it out
Beyonce/Jay Z - Crazy in love
Sugababes - Hole in the Head (album version - nicer intro)
Touch and Go - Straight to number 1 (fast version, TOO fast - faded this out as it emptied the floor )
angie stone - wish i didnt miss you
basement jaxx - broken dreams
britney - toxic
atc - around the world
lisa ekdahl - benen i kors
big joe turner - hide and seek? (yet another mp3'd cd i have that didnt pick up the names)
clarence 'frogman' henry - aint got no home
indigo swing - violent love
veronica martell - cho cho boogie
charles ray - hit the road jack
Kirsty Macoll - these shoes
kylie minogue - come into my world
rachel stevens - sweet dreams my la-ex
michael buble - moon dance
nat king cole - L is for the way
bill elliot swing orchestra - when we dance

Dance Demon
29th-August-2004, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=
Colin James - Shout it out
charles ray - hit the road jack
nat king cole - L is for the way
[/QUOTE]

Colin James track is called "Baby Workout".....cover of Jackie Wilsons hit. Nat King Cole Track is L.O.V.E.......and Hit the Road is Ray Charles..........oh my god, am I turning into a pedant
:eek:
Nice set Nik. the touch & go one would probably have been OK at another venue, but that's how different dance crowds can be :what: .....but overall a great set on your first gig :waycool: ....So....when are you going to start wearing that bandana...... :D

Dreadful Scathe
29th-August-2004, 02:53 PM
what.....and get mistaken for Peter Phillips ? :)

I knew that was Ray Charles of course, it was written surname first and i just copied it :)

TheTramp
29th-August-2004, 04:33 PM
And just to finish off the pedantry, the Austin Powers theme track is Soul Bossa Nova by Quincy Jones...

Trampy

TheTramp
29th-August-2004, 04:34 PM
And the Touch and Go track was what Lisa and I danced to in the final of the Open at Bristol. It's 188bpm. Scarily fast for ceroc.

Trampy

CJ
29th-August-2004, 05:14 PM
And the Touch and Go track was what Lisa and I danced to in the final of the Open at Bristol. It's 188bpm.

Swoon........... :yum:

My hero.

Gadget
29th-August-2004, 06:07 PM
Jive Aces played a very dance friendly set, though I must admit that having seen them several times now, the novelty has worn off a bit.
Ditto. This was only the second time I have seen them, but I think that there was only one or perhaps two tracks difference. I thought the they were better the last time I saw them (but does not mean that they were poor this time :D :waycool: )
Great gig - been dancing to too many slow numbers recently; hard pushed to dance to a faster beat. :tears:

Emma
29th-August-2004, 08:45 PM
Can't think of anything to be pedantic about DS.....welcome to DJland :)

Now...about using *proper* equipment...:wink: :grin: :rofl: