PDA

View Full Version : Amir Is Back!

Lindsay
22nd-December-2003, 04:43 PM
AMIR AND KATE - 7th/8th Feb '04 in Edinburgh

Saturday workshop (11am-4pm) will cover style, musicality, flash new moves, tango drops and blues. Partner not required, class rotated.

Saturday party (8pm-1am) is pay at the door for all. Includes a class, cabaret, and fun 'dance with a stranger' competition (free comp. entry) judged by Amir, Kate and guests. Fantastic prizes tbc!

Sunday class (11am-1pm) is exclusive tuition for 'couples only' covering competition tips.

Early bird prices (before 10th January)
Saturday workshop £15 Sunday class £8

More info (http://boogie.webspace.fish.co.uk/events.htm)

Aleks
22nd-December-2003, 04:46 PM
"Cheque in the post" for azande and me!

Daphne
23rd-December-2003, 11:38 AM
Def. will be up 4 saturday, but can I go on standby for sunday competition class?
:D Any takers?

Lindsay
29th-December-2003, 06:24 PM
C'mon Daph there's plenty time to find a bloke!!!

Early bird discount ends 10th January....

Daphne
2nd-January-2004, 10:15 PM
Its ok,coming with Brian M, thanks :wink:

Lindsay
14th-January-2004, 01:53 PM
Just a quick update: over 50 booked, & places filling fast!
Prices are:-
Saturday workshop - £18
Sunday class - £15
Both - £26

Should be a great w'end...

:nice:

David Franklin
14th-January-2004, 03:30 PM
Every time I read the thread title, I keep thinking of a well known track, so with apologies to Frank, Etta, et. al.,

Oh the jiver, has such shoes dear,
and he shows them, black and whites,
Just some Bloch boots, has Amir dear,
And he keeps them, out of sight!

When the jiver leads, with his arms dear,
shoulder pains they, start to spread,
Body leads though, has Amir dear,
So there's never, never a need to dread

On the dance floor, on a Sunday afternoon,
there's a tea dance, all diff'rin' styles,
Someone's sneaking, round in ochoes,
Could that someone be Amir Giles?

All those bouncy moves, they disappeared dear,
Been thrown away, with all the trash,
Now we all dance, smooth and sultry,
Could it be Amir's done something flash?

Sukey Tawdry, Jenny Diver
Polly Peachum, Lucy Brown
Oh the line forms, on the right dear,
Now Amir is back in town!

Look out Amir is back!

Lindsay
14th-January-2004, 04:20 PM
Nice one.... !

Words copied & pasted or in your head???

David Franklin
14th-January-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Nice one.... !

Words copied & pasted or in your head??? Made it up (with reference to the original, of course!). The last verse is pretty much verbatim from the original - could have put in some names from ladies on "the scene" but figured I was less likely to cause offence this way!

Dave

Will
14th-January-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin
Could have put in some names from ladies on "the scene" but figured I was less likely to cause offence this way!

Why didn't you just use "Steve Lampert"?

TheTramp
14th-January-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Will
Why didn't you just use "Steve Lampert"? Cos the last couple of times I've danced with Amir, I didn't have to queue.

So it would have been historically incorrect to use my name

Steve

David Franklin
14th-January-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Will
Why didn't you just use "Steve Lampert"? Too easy! Plus Andy McGregor would have sulked...

Now if you'll just excuse me while I get a wire brush and scrub those images from my brain...

Dave

TheTramp
14th-January-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin
Too easy! It's a lie. I'm not at all easy.

I'm very sweet and innocent..... :innocent:

Steve

Lindsay
21st-January-2004, 01:55 PM
Easy to dance with, easy to follow, or just easy?

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-January-2004, 01:19 PM
Im disaapointed Im not going to go to the party - but Ill be at the Saturday and Sunday classes :)

Who else is going whos not mentioned it so far ?

Dance Demon
22nd-January-2004, 06:09 PM
I'll be there DS, with Mrs DD of course, and i'm sharing the DJing with Gilbert supercool at the party:waycool: ...shame you'll miss it:na:

Tiggerbabe
23rd-January-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
i'm sharing the DJing with Gilbert supercool at the party:waycool:
Oh goody!!!!!! :hug:

Lindsay
30th-January-2004, 05:48 PM
Still places left for both workshops, booking fast tho'... Don't forget the Saturday party is pay at at the door, and will feature an informal 'dance with a stranger' competition, and cabaret with Amir & Kate:yum:, and The Blues Sisters:waycool: , plus others tbc....

Should be a great event....

:clap: :wink:

Twinkle Toes
1st-February-2004, 04:54 AM
Amir was great last time, so am really looking forward to next Saturday.
When are you going to have your "dance with a stanger" exactly ?

TT x

sam elassar
2nd-February-2004, 02:25 AM
hi there

is there any places left? or is it too late to send in my application ? i am only after the saturday class.

cheers

sam

Lindsay
2nd-February-2004, 05:10 PM
PARTY:
8pm Short dance class by Amir and Kate
9pm Dance with a Stranger’ competition
10.30pm Cabaret featuring Amir & Kate & The Blues Sisters

WORKSHOP:
::: MEN & COUPLES ONLY ::::
You can book in advance to guarantee a place, or chance it on the day....

Amir
3rd-February-2004, 05:59 PM
Hello everyone and looking forward to seeing you this weekend!
Just thought I'd post the blurby type stuff here incase anyone was still intersted in coming along but wanted more detail. The workshop on Saturday will cover musicality and tango style modern jive:

----

Musical Interpretation

This is probably the most challenging and exciting element of dancing modern jive! But it is also one area that is probably least taught and most misunderstood. When done well it makes each dance fresh, intimate and creative. When ignored your dancing may grow lifeless and stagnate.

This acclaimed workshop will take you from basic concepts such as hitting breaks and characterisation to advanced musicality such as multiple accents and phrasing. As a musical dancer you will experience the excitement and fulfilment of being a joy to dance with, a thrill to watch and the high of being at one with the music!

You will also learn musical footwork, body movements and moves!

Inserting Tango Steps and Style into Your Modern Jive!

Tango is the world recognized dance of romance, and in just one day you can start to insert its passion, sensuality and intimacy into your modern jive! In anticipation of Valentines Day, you will discover how you can transform your dancing for this day of love! With the unique moves that ooze Latin flair and finnesse, you will learn how to stylise your dancing to convey that sexy elegance that glides around the floor! And with the exciting slides and lunges you are sure to stand out on the dance floor with new found dramatic presence!

Amir and Kate are Jive Champions and are invitational performers and teachers of Tango-Jive and Musicality for most every major event in the UK. They are renowned for their relaxed and entertaining teaching style, and take pride in their emphasis on the details that make a difference. As teachers for Hipsters they make up a team of some of the top instructors in the country which include Viktor and Nigel. Constant innovators, this workshop promises to breath new life and romantic drive into your modern jive!

-----

See you there! Talk to Lindsay about coming because I think she has some spaces left...

ChrisA
3rd-February-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by amir_giles
As teachers for Hipsters they make up a team of some of the top instructors in the country which include Viktor and Nigel.

Hey Amir, you can't say this sort of thing here.. the Scots tend to go into orbit when we talk about how cool Hipsters is... :devil:

I mean, they even write limericks with dark hints that Londoners' fave H******* thread (and its spin-off, the 'Sters) isn't quite a source of peace and light in their lives...

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Chris.

sillyjilly
3rd-February-2004, 06:26 PM
I hear you are going to Nottingham soon, what will you be teaching there?:clap: :clap:

Amir
4th-February-2004, 01:19 AM
I think we're doing musicality in Nottingham as well, except we'll be focusing on it for the entire workshop as we covered a lot of tango stuff last time.

we'll do some tango moves in the evening party, I'm sure

Lindsay
4th-February-2004, 04:43 PM
UPDATE...

PARTY - All welcome, pay at the door (short class @ 8pm, DWAS comp. @ 9pm)

WORKSHOP - MEN and COUPLES only can turn up on the day if not booked in advance.... 11am until 4pm

Looking forward to it, should be a great day:D

Twinkle Toes
4th-February-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Lindsay
UPDATE...
WORKSHOP - MEN and COUPLES only can turn up on the day if not booked in advance....
Found myself a big hunk, so put me down for Sunday workshop please :flower: ....... he's no bad at dancin either !

TT x

Jayne
9th-February-2004, 11:01 AM
How did this go?? Any advice for anyone going to his workshop this weekend in London?

J :nice:

Dreadful Scathe
9th-February-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
How did this go?? Any advice for anyone going to his workshop this weekend in London?

Only made it to Saturday afternoon and Sunday workshops. Excellent again though, just like last time :).
Would recommend Amirs workshops to anyone. Pity I missed the party at night...who won the competition anyway ?

Great insight into competition dancing on the Sunday workshop. Maybe ill get through the first round of the intermediate now :what: im not nervous, not nervous, not ner...etc...focus the energy......buy Nina expensive chocolates, bring down my voluptuous sister for Nigel..great tips :)

Steven
9th-February-2004, 02:09 PM
I am reliably informed that Alex and Sheena won the 'dance with a stranger' comp!!

Hardly strangers though......having competed together numerous times. Honestly the luck of some peolpe :waycool:

Cheers
Steven

Stuart M
9th-February-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Steven
I am reliably informed that Alex and Sheena won the 'dance with a stranger' comp!!

Hardly strangers though......having competed together numerous times. Honestly the luck of some peolpe :waycool:

Yeah - well fixed...:wink:

First time I ever made through a round in any dance comp. Thanks Ruth :grin:

PS Jayne, the workshop DS missed was about tango moves - should be right up your street. Brush up on your ochos...

Dreadful Scathe
9th-February-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Steven

ooh, too easy :) and yes you would be reliably informed by your Dad that he won :D.

... so who got 2nd, 3rd ? or was that not judged ?

Dance Demon
9th-February-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

... so who got 2nd, 3rd ? or was that not judged ?

Mr Hancock & partner were 2nd, and 3rd wasn't announced, though Amir did tell me later that the lovely Gill & I were 3rd. Ta Gill for two lovely dances:flower: :kiss: :hug:

Chicklet
9th-February-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Mr Hancock & partner were 2nd, and 3rd wasn't announced, though Amir did tell me later that the lovely Gill & I were 3rd. Ta Gill for two lovely dances:flower: :kiss: :hug:

aye you pair weren't first because Amir couldn't see thru the STEAM coming off you!!!:innocent: :eek:

Dance Demon
9th-February-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
aye you pair weren't first because Amir couldn't see thru the STEAM coming off you!!!:innocent: :eek:

:blush: was it that hot?......can't say I didn't enjoy it though:wink:

Tiggerbabe
9th-February-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Any advice for anyone going to his workshop this weekend in London?
Make sure you set your alarm clock if you're going out the night before? :wink: :wink:

Thoroughly enjoyed both workshops on the Saturday and the party at night was great. Amir and Kate's cabaret performances were amazing - and the Blues Sisters were in fine form too :clap: :clap:

If I bring chocolate to Stirling DS will you divulge the secrets from Sunday's workshop?

Will
10th-February-2004, 01:30 PM
Just wanted to thank whoever it was who told Kate that I'd said she qualified for the Seniors at Blackpool on this forum (that she never reads!) during your workshop over the weekend. Despite strenuous denials, I now find myself firmly in the Dog House. :angry: :tears:

Amir
10th-February-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks again everyone for having us and for being a great crowd! We've put some notes from the Saturday workshops at www.boogienights.co.uk

theres a copyright on them but if you were at the workshop you hereby have permission to make a copy for yourself for personal use. [insert flashy legal jargon here if required.]

I hope they are useful. It was great to see so much of what we did last time starting to really emerge in your dancing!

Thanks Bill for your house, thanks Jules for the tour, thanks Dance Demon for your decks, and thank god for haggis.

www.fusiondance.co.uk to see what we're up to if you are ever down in London

x
Amir

Chris
10th-February-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by amir_giles
We've put some notes from the Saturday workshops at www.boogienights.co.uk
Something seems to have happened to that link :( . . .
Try this one (http://boogie.webspace.fish.co.uk/temp.htm) though. :)