PDA

View Full Version : Are we all still doing the same dance?

jim
15th-March-2011, 08:06 PM
I was at camber doing basic lindy in the swingers set. - Step, step, rock-step. or Triple step, triple step, rock step. which every you prefer.

And I thought to myself, all Modern jive is based on Lindy and this footwork pattern.

Then I went off and did some modern jive, and I was hit by a sudden revelation.

-That I'm not dancing Modern Jive anymore.

Because whatever I do now is distintly different from what I used to do and totally different to the basic footwork pattern and structure of ballroom jive and lindy.

It's very similar to the difference between cuban style salsa and cross body salsa. same music, same rythm - different dance.

I actually feel now that if I go back to basic jive- man-turns, ladies turns... etc that I am actually doing a different dance.

So discuss are we all still doing the same dance? Or are smooth jive and modern jive actually different dances?

Gav
15th-March-2011, 10:28 PM

Because whatever I do now is distintly different from what I used to do and totally different to the basic footwork pattern and structure of ballroom jive and lindy.

The way that I see it, Modern Jive never has been and never will be clearly defined in the same way that Ballroom dances and Lindy are. Therefore, what you were doing then, what you are doing now and what you will be doing in 20 years is all Modern Jive.
But honestly, who really cares? IMO, the whole point of MJ is that it isn't clearly defined and that it doesn't matter.
I love that I can learn a bit of AT and a lot of Lindy and meld it into my MJ and no-one can say "he's doing it wrong".
IMO, MJ should never be tied down in such a rigid way.

Lou
15th-March-2011, 10:34 PM
I was at camber doing basic lindy in the swingers set. - Step, step, rock-step. or Triple step, triple step, rock step. which every you prefer.

And I thought to myself, all Modern jive is based on Lindy and this footwork pattern.
Ahhh.... didya now?

:eyebrow:

It's very similar to the difference between cuban style salsa and cross body salsa. same music, same rythm - different dance.

I actually feel now that if I go back to basic jive- man-turns, ladies turns... etc that I am actually doing a different dance.

So discuss are we all still doing the same dance? Or are smooth jive and modern jive actually different dances?
Interesting question.

Do me a favour & define what makes Modern Jive first. :wink:

I've noticed that I dance very differently to how I danced in 2002. But I still class both as Modern Jive.

IMO, MJ should never be tied down in such a rigid way.
:yeah: Good point, though I have to say I'd even go so far to say it CAN'T be tied down in such a rigid way. :wink:

Lee Bartholomew
15th-March-2011, 10:55 PM
MJ is not really "a dance" more a mash up of dances, a mongral if you like.

It has no definative footwork or timing so no matter what you do, you can say you are doing modern jive. :wink:

robd
15th-March-2011, 11:18 PM
It has no definative footwork or timing so no matter what you do, you can say you are doing modern jive. :wink:

Unless what you are doing is recognisable as a dance form that does have recognised/standardised timing/footwork.

I like that MJ has such flexibility, I did find that my jive this weekend was getting more bouncy and, dare I say, circular in nature than it's ever been previously and much like kissing a girl, I liked it.

marcusj
16th-March-2011, 01:08 PM
I like that MJ has such flexibility, I did find that my jive this weekend was getting more bouncy and, dare I say, circular in nature than it's ever been previously and much like kissing a girl, I liked it.
You crack me up !

Is being a bit circular worse than bouncing ??!!

I shouldn't tease as I need more help with that arm behind your back move you showed me !

jim
16th-March-2011, 07:13 PM
I just think my old jive and my new jive have become compartmentalised in my brain as different dances.

And when i'm dancing with beginners and people who don't dance slotted, I don't think they even recognised the dance I'm doing.

I'm still using basic moves, just not 'their' basic moves. which leads me to concluded that their building blocks and my building blocks are not the same and that therefore the dances are not the same.

And since about 75% of the people I dance with think I'm dancing west coast, not modern jive I suspect that they see what I'm doing as fundamentally different to what their doing.

Next time a rock and roll track comes on and you start dancing like you use to; rock steps and circles, ask yourself if it still feels like the same dance as the one you currently do?