PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been dancing ceroc

stewart38
18th-December-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm interested to see if the length of time forum members have been dancing ceroc (and I'll allow le roc jive) influences what you want to see in ceroc.

e.g new people (under 3 yrs) want

ie exams, competitions, mixing with salsa etc etc

Dreadful Scathe
18th-December-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I'm interested to see if the length of time forum members have been dancing ceroc (and I'll allow le roc jive) influences what you want to see in ceroc.

Why cant you just say Modern Jive and allow any style/company ? You'll just raise confusion otherwise.

And Ceroc is fine as it is :)

stewart38
18th-December-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Why cant you just say Modern Jive and allow any style/company ? You'll just raise confusion otherwise.

And Ceroc is fine as it is :)

Modern Jive :grin:

Dreadful Scathe
18th-December-2003, 04:45 PM
Modern Jive :grin:

well done. Now say 'Merry Christmas' :D

Bill
18th-December-2003, 04:52 PM
merry christmas........................:D :na:

Bill
18th-December-2003, 04:53 PM
I've been going to the Aberdeen class since it first opened.......... only a handful of us left who were there that first night. :sad: :sick: .............so that's just over 6 years.

And what I want is just more styles and a memory which can remind me of a few more of the moves I've learned :rolleyes:

psyc0diver
18th-December-2003, 04:55 PM
Better saying minesapint :D

Wouldnt this be better as a poll with years?

put me down for 5 years (or is it 6 - it was soooo long ago)

5 - after seeing bills post

TheTramp
18th-December-2003, 05:00 PM
4.5 years for me.....

And while I think that there are a few minor things that could be done to improve ceroc, I think that it's generally not doing too badly just the way it is, and I also think that specifically, Franck is doing a great job in Scotland with all the things he's done, and the new things that he's bringing in (Quarterly Beach Ballroom parties, Guest teachers, Weekends of dancing, New venues and locations, and of course, this Forum (amongst others))

Steve

stewart38
18th-December-2003, 05:07 PM
Did 'modern jive' exist 10yrs ago ?

I know merry christmas did now its merry xmas

I have decided to go to works do and I bet out of the 150 women there there won't be one that has jived (this is city of london):tears:

Dance around the hand bag time with 4 guys dancing with cigarettes in hand :sick: 4 ladies with wine glasses in hand

Nothing do with the thread of course

Paul F
18th-December-2003, 05:53 PM
Been doing ceroc for about 1year 3 months now. Albeit somewhat regularly :sorry

Gadget
18th-December-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by psyc0diver
5 - after seeing bills post
That would make me 4-4.5 then... I think.
But it's a slim 4.5 - I only go once a week {:tears:} and took a year out last year (or was it the year before :what::tears: )

Unlike Tramp, who is a much broader 4.5, since he dosn't dance about once a week. {:devil:}

spindr
18th-December-2003, 07:21 PM
Must be about 10 years, or so -- since 1988, with a 4/5 year gap.

SpinDr.

Will
19th-December-2003, 02:31 AM
I've been going on and off for about 9 years.

Minnie M
19th-December-2003, 03:43 AM
I started about the same time as Mikey and about a year after Marty and many years before Andy Mc:wink: My claim to fame is appearing on the 1995 Le Jive competition video - I made it to the finals of DWAS - my partner was Paul James who won the advance heat the year previously - lucky me :grin:

off thread - great meeting you tonight spindr - and thanks for the dances :hug:

Jon L
19th-December-2003, 09:10 AM
Three years 5 months.

The only I thing I would change is giving younger DJ's a crash course in the great tunes from the past and the blues.

They are not aware of a lot of the great music from years gone by

Gadget
19th-December-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
The only I thing I would change is giving younger DJ's a crash course in the great tunes from the past and the blues.
How about giving older DJ's a crash course in great tunes from the present?! {:devil:}

Lynn
19th-December-2003, 12:13 PM
OK - only 3 months - umm, compared to all the years of the rest on this thread I feel like a little toddler.... but I intend to be dancing for years - does that help? And only can go one a week as only one venue :tears: (but go to salsa another night of the week). So for my current level, things are great - and that is one of the appeals of MJ - its probably one of the best dances for beginners.

Dan
19th-December-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Will
I've been going on and off for about 9 years.

And I have been going off and off for 18 months

:sad:

Alfie
19th-December-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi All,
We have ben dancing 4.5 years, but I went through a spell of 2 years when I danced 5 or 6 nights a week. I would like more swing dance styles on offer in the Midlands, there is very little lindy and no East or West coast swing:sad:

Petal
19th-December-2003, 02:14 PM
I've been dancing 10 months now, since the Perth class opened and try to get to the Dundee class when i can. I wish i'd found ceroc years ago.

Would like to try swing or salsa just to try something difference but there are no classes in Perth, so i'll stick to ceroc fro now, but im not complaining, i'm addicted.
:nice: :nice:

stewart38
19th-December-2003, 02:51 PM
Would newer people to ceroc like to see exams/test to move on.

Are people expectations different now ?

Dan
19th-December-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jnelson
I wish i'd found ceroc years ago.

:nice: :nice:

I wish i'd found ceroc years ago...................

:sad:

But hey! I am wasting time now thinking about it.

When is the next dance!!!!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Martin
20th-December-2003, 03:37 PM

e.g new people (under 3 yrs) want

ie exams, competitions, mixing with salsa etc etc

I'm glad you are including le roc seeing as IMHO that was around before "Ceroc" - Le Roc then let's start up Cest Le Roc = Ceroc.

Originally posted by Minnie M
I started about the same time as Mikey and about a year after Marty :grin:

Well I have been dancing 1 year longer than Minnie M:D

I see you are not giving away specifics MM, the thing is "a long time"

Dan
21st-December-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Martin

Well I have been dancing 1 year longer than Minnie M:D

And I've been dancing the same as Donald.

I would like lessons on dips and ducks - preferably to "Wade in the water - Eva Cassidy"

Dan Hudson
22nd-December-2003, 01:07 PM
I have been dancing 6 years now.. with a 6 months gap for a dislocated shoulder!:tears:

Been a MJ DJ and Ceroc franchisee for 2.5 of those!:what:

eastmanjohn
22nd-December-2003, 03:44 PM
I don't post very often, but have been dancing since October 1990 and teaching for 10 years!! How time flies.

I knew what it was like before the ceroc company existed. It was exactly the same!!! Big classes in rows, semi circles, signals, changing partners, a mix of music. I think I was a taxi dancer before we were given a name!!

Looking forward to the next 10 years!

Lounge Lizard
22nd-December-2003, 05:40 PM
About six years

RobC
22nd-December-2003, 06:32 PM
Are we allowed to factor into the equation how many nights a week we dance ?

I started dancing modern jive in '94, but for most of the first 4-5 years I was dancing between 5 - 7 nights a week :waycool: Now I just do a respectable 2-3 nights.

So that makes me ~40 man-years of dancing :cheers: :cheers:

Rob

Emma
23rd-December-2003, 04:07 PM
In February I will have been dancing for 2 years :nice:. I've been DJing for 3 months.

What do I want...erm...personally I can live without moves-based workshops, although I can see that move-collecting appeals to a certain male-obsessive type (trainspotters, anyone? :wink: :devil: ). I think it would be good if style and musicality had more status amongst dancers, and would love to see the teaching of this introduced as a regular feature of the structured class-format.

Exams? No. More help in the form of taxi dancers for those who have revently moved onto the intermediate class, possibly.

Jon
23rd-December-2003, 06:32 PM
2 years 3 months for me.

What would I like - more challenging classes i.e concentrating on style and musicality not so much on complicated moves.

Also for those new to intermediates have a seperate class so they are not out of their depth. Prehaps let some of the taxi dancers run this class. This would help to stretch the taxi dancers teaching ability too.

Neil
23rd-December-2003, 11:14 PM
Seven years. Started in 1996, shortly after England's agonising exit from Euro 96, partly to assuage the continuance of "thirty years of hurt". :tears:

Like many people, I would like to see intermediate classes that focused on dancing rather than (uselessly complicated) moves.

:cheers:

Neil

Lynn
24th-December-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Like many people, I would like to see intermediate classes that focused on dancing rather than (uselessly complicated) moves.
Neil

Hear, Hear! About 10 weeks into lessons here (we have no seperate beginners and intermediate) and our teacher is starting to teach about musical interpretation, explaining a bit about breaks, and talking about 'style' as well as teaching some intermediate moves. Maybe this is because we are a small independant class, or would this be the normal pattern? Anyway, as a new dancer this is what I want, still want to learn new moves and expand my range, but also want to learn to dance!
Lynn

JamesGeary
25th-December-2003, 09:48 AM
9 years. I'd like to have other types of dancing taught at ceroc nights. Because I want to learn different stuff, but like going along to ceroc freestyles.

JamesGeary
25th-December-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Lynn
Hear, Hear! About 10 weeks into lessons here (we have no seperate beginners and intermediate) and our teacher is starting to teach about musical interpretation, explaining a bit about breaks, and talking about 'style' as well as teaching some intermediate moves. Maybe this is because we are a small independant class, or would this be the normal pattern?[/I]
Lynn

Nope. It never happens with ceroc and rarely with independents. You're just lucky. Most people guess all that stuff after they've been dancing for years. Also small classes can be taught much faster.