PDA

View Full Version : JiveMasters Video and Ballroom Chassé

Sheepman
17th-December-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Debster
(Got my Jive Masters video this morning so am all fired up!) Help!! :wink:

Re. videos, did you get those vids to Billco? If not, maybe you could bring them, as he needs them for Friday, and Mary and Tony will definitely see him.

Greg

Divissima
17th-December-2003, 03:53 PM
Sorry, Greg, we don't have much luck when it comes to dances, do we? :sorry Are you coming to the tea dance on Sunday - if so, I shall make a bee-line for you :wink:

The cross step thingy was great - and the major area where I was in danger of stuffing up :sick: Fortunately, I managed not to - at least not when everyone was looking :wink: I'll show you on Sunday if you are there - it is quite a simple idea but I can't explain in words without making it sound complicated. It's a bit like a chassis (? not sure of spelling) in ballroon - at least, I think that's the name of the step (ChrisA is nominated ballroom 'xpert so I'll have to run it by him). All in the frame and timing - which probably means I'll never be able to recreate it.

Please say you'll be at the tea dance :hug:

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
(ChrisA is nominated ballroom 'xpert so I'll have to run it by him).
:tears: :tears:

With such as David and Lily on the forum I must, of course, decline such a kind nomination :tears: .

:blush: :blush:

Did you see David and Lily's foxtrot on Friday?

Divissima
17th-December-2003, 04:02 PM
Sadly, I missed the foxtrot. But David is already the Oracle, so I thought he'd need to delegate :wink:

Debster
17th-December-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman

Re. videos, did you get those vids to Billco? If not, maybe you could bring them, as he needs them for Friday, and Mary and Tony will definitely see him.

Greg

I have spoken to Billco who has promised a rendezvous for the drop off - but not come thru yet. However I am going to be there early (I believe) on Friday so he'll get them in time for sure, if not before. Or you can have them back tonight if preferred.

:devil: Come on Div, you know you want to... :D

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 04:38 PM
Sadly, I missed the foxtrot. But David is already the Oracle, so I thought he'd need to delegate :wink: Ummm. Sorry Chris, but I'd have thought that he'd probably end up delegating it to the Debster then??

Steve

Divissima
17th-December-2003, 04:43 PM
But Debster is not so regularly on the Forum and the Oracle would surely wish to attend to such enquiries in a timely fashion. It probably isn't even a chassis after all this - and I'll have managed to offend every other ballroom dancer on the Forum :sad: Sorry, guys - no offence meant :sorry

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Ummm. Sorry Chris, but I'd have thought that he'd probably end up delegating it to the Debster then??

Steve
I can think of several more worthy than I.

Please don't think for even a microsecond that I was angling for the post.

Chris

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 04:47 PM
It probably isn't even a chassis after all this

Chassé.

Decorum precludes my commenting on your chassis. :waycool:

Divissima
17th-December-2003, 04:48 PM
But not my spelling :rofl: :hug:
Save us a dance or two tonight, if you please :wink:

Sheepman
17th-December-2003, 06:05 PM
I'll show you on Sunday if you are there - it is quite a simple idea but I can't explain in words without making it sound complicated.
Sorry, big family Christmas thing this Sunday :tears:

I have spoken to Billco who has promised a rendezvous for the drop off - but not come thru yet. However I am going to be there early (I believe) on Friday so he'll get them in time for sure, if not before. This sounds fine - I'll stop worrying about it . . .
Will you be competing on Friday? And which lucky s*d will get you for a partner?

Greg

Yippee!! 'sters night tonight!!! :D :D :D

Debster
18th-December-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Sorry, big family Christmas thing this Sunday :tears:

This sounds fine - I'll stop worrying about it . . .
Will you be competing on Friday? And which lucky s*d will get you for a partner?

Greg

Yippee!! 'sters night tonight!!! :D :D :D

RE: Hipsters
Thanks for the dances last night Sheepy and Chris! Most enjoyable!! - now would you both quit with the apologising while you dance?!

RE: vids
Early drop-off arranged with Billco, so all is OK.

RE: lucky dip on Friday night
And no, I won't be competing in the DWAS/lucky-dip. I've been removed from the competition pool for this one as I've been invited to judge it instead! But I will be looking for lots of social dancing ;)

RE: Chasse
A chasse is simply stated as 'side, together, side', so perhaps you are thinking of a different type of move anyway?

RE: ballroom experts
No, I'm not on the forum often enough to be a reliable consultant here despite my strong ballroom background, but thanks for the thought. :)

p.s. Sorry we didn't get to chat last night Div! The dancin' thang just doesn't work well for chatting to the other gals, huh?

ChrisA
18th-December-2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the dances last night Sheepy and Chris! Most enjoyable!! - now would you both quit with the apologising while you dance?!
Er... sorry :D

(and thank you, they were great).

Chris

Divissima
18th-December-2003, 03:45 PM
Yes - know what you mean, Deb. We were close enough to exchange hellos during one particular sequence of moves - and then I had to sprint for the tube. Will see you tomorrow night, though :grin:
Maybe it isn't the chasse (thanks for correction, ChrisA - although I seem to remember you commenting on my chassis last night - cheeky boy :really: ). Amir was teaching a side, close, side (or rather back, close back but on the close, you had to cross your left leg over the right. It probably isn't a chasse at all - but I'm sure I've done something similar while learning the waltz (unless it was a mistaken step all of my own invention which is perfectly possible :wink: ) Similar to the Argentine tango cross movement, but not quite the same action.

ChrisA
18th-December-2003, 03:51 PM
(thanks for correction, ChrisA - although I seem to remember you commenting on my chassis last night - cheeky boy :really:
As in, "Get your chassis over here, and no, you can't dance any more with Nigel"??

Yes, I'm sure that was it...:wink:

Sheepman
18th-December-2003, 06:19 PM
RE: Hipsters
Thanks for the dances last night Sheepy and Chris! Most enjoyable!! - now would you both quit with the apologising while you dance?! er - what can I say sorry Tell M'ster about it, she's been trying to get me to give it up for a year now!

Have fun Friday.

Greg

frodo
18th-December-2003, 11:08 PM
...Maybe it isn't the chasse ( ... ). Amir was teaching a side, close, side (or rather back, close back but on the close, you had to cross your left leg over the right. It probably isn't a chasse at all - but I'm sure I've done something similar while learning the waltz (unless it was a mistaken step all of my own invention which is perfectly possible :wink: ) Similar to the Argentine tango cross movement, but not quite the same action.

In the quickstep I think there is a step called the 'tipple chasse', which would probably end as above.

However the term might just be a shorthand for 'tipple chasse to the right and then forward lock', the lock perhaps being the bit above.

Not sure if there might be something similar in the waltz though.

Divissima
19th-December-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Frodo:
Not sure if there might be something similar in the waltz thoughWhich might help explain why my ballroom career was so short! :wink:

RobC
22nd-December-2003, 08:48 PM
Amir was teaching a side, close, side (or rather back, close back but on the close, you had to cross your left leg over the right. It probably isn't a chasse at all -
Sounds like a lock-step to me (not having seen the move that you are describing).

Rob