PDA

View Full Version : Pedants' corner

Bill
16th-December-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
I'm afraid that correcting my spelling can't be classed as pedantic - too easy a target :sick: {:wink:} Regardless of how easy a target might be they can still be a pedant ie "one who attaches too much importance to merely formal matters". And that's assuming correcting spelling mistakes attaches too much importance to being accurate.

But I wouldn't want to be too pedantic about it ( especially with the number of mistakes I make !!!!):sick: :wink: :D

Gadget
16th-December-2003, 06:13 PM
{pedantic waffle ensues:}

Originally posted by Bill
Regardless of how easy a target might be they can still be a pedant ie "one who attaches too much importance to merely formal matters". And that's assuming correcting spelling mistakes attaches too much importance to being accurate.
In useing your definition, how can you attach too much importance to anything? It is surely a subjective term, as is the merely and formal matters - each one's definition changes dependant on the user and context. The assumptions are given in an attempt to define the context of the statement to justify the user's point of view. Therefore any statement made can be seen as either pedantic, or not; dependant on the person reading it and the multitude of unknown factors affecting them at that time. So the statement remains in a quantum state of being both pedantic and not at the same time. By stating it is one way or another, you may change the view point of other readers, but not the words written - it will remain open to interpritation {<- is pointing out this mistake a pedantic notion?}

The context of the previous statement regarding spelling as too easy a target to invoke the 'pedant' status was ment to indicate that my interpritation of 'pedantic' is a more focused examination of a particular subject; the scale of errors being so vast that bringing attention to one particular error is not a feat that involves bringing forth supurious knowledge or selectivity on the subject. Which, in my understanding, is the definition of a pedant.

so :na:

{:D :wink:}

Graham
16th-December-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Sorry. I'd assumed that the inference in my post was that any comments (made on here) would be about an identifiable individual. Guess I should have specified that. Would you say "I danced with Miss X who had dreadful BO". That would be the point I was making....

I think that you're just being pedantic again. Though, in your case, that's understandable :D

Steve I knew what you meant, but I didn't feel the inference was clear enough, and therefore elected to highlight it. I agree it was a little pedantic, but as you say, what do you expect? :grin:

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Graham
I knew what you meant, but I didn't feel the inference was clear enough, and therefore elected to highlight it. I agree it was a little pedantic, but as you say, what do you expect? :grin: About that. I'll make sure that I'm more clear in future, and not rely on inference.... :na:

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
17th-December-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
{pedantic waffle ensues:}

It really takes the biscuit Gadget when you are pedantic about the definition, literal meaning and personal experience of the word 'pedantic'. Sheesh! Makes Graham seem sane :D

Graham
17th-December-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
It really takes the biscuit Gadget when you are pedantic about the definition, literal meaning and personal experience of the word 'pedantic'. Sheesh! Makes Graham seem sane :D I disagree that he was being pedantic, except by his own definition, which diverges somewhat from the more generally accepted meaning (Chambers: pedantic adj over-concerned with correctness).

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 10:49 AM
I disagree that he was being pedantic, except by his own definition, which diverges somewhat from the more generally accepted meaning (Chambers: pedantic adj over-concerned with correctness). I think that you've won the biscuit back now Graham.

Hurry up and eat it before someone else gets it...

Steve

Graham
17th-December-2003, 11:08 AM
I think that you've won the biscuit back now Graham.

Hurry up and eat it before someone else gets it...

Steve I'm wasted on you lot..........

irony noun (ironies) 1 a linguistic device or form of humour that takes its effect from stating or implying the opposite of what is the case or what is intended, eg saying 'You've made a really good job of that, haven't you', when someone has done something badly. 2 a dramatic device by which information is given to the audience that is not known to all the characters in the drama, or in which the same words are meant to convey different meanings to the audience and to the characters. Also called dramatic irony. 3 awkward or perverse circumstances applying to a situation that is in itself satisfactory or desirable. 4 Socratic irony.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c: from Latin ironia, from Greek eironeia dissimulation.

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 11:13 AM
I'm wasted on you lot..........

irony noun (ironies) 1 a linguistic device or form of humour that takes its effect from stating or implying the opposite of what is the case or what is intended, eg saying 'You've made a really good job of that, haven't you', when someone has done something badly. 2 a dramatic device by which information is given to the audience that is not known to all the characters in the drama, or in which the same words are meant to convey different meanings to the audience and to the characters. Also called dramatic irony. 3 awkward or perverse circumstances applying to a situation that is in itself satisfactory or desirable. 4 Socratic irony.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c: from Latin ironia, from Greek eironeia dissimulation. Don't you want the biscuit then?? :drool:

Steve

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm wasted on you lot..........

ETYMOLOGY: 16c: from Latin ironia, from Greek eironeia dissimulation. Incidentally. I bet you just took this from a textbook (dictionary). I bet I could come up with a simpler definition. :na:

Steve

Graham
17th-December-2003, 11:28 AM
Incidentally. I bet you just took this from a textbook (dictionary). I bet I could come up with a simpler definition. :na: :rofl: But Steve, that's just an ad hominen!

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 11:35 AM
:rofl: But Steve, that's just an ad hominen! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cheers:

Steve

Forte
17th-December-2003, 11:47 AM
Since I started this whole contrOversial issue about being pedantic by criticising the incorrect spelling of contrAversial I feel I have a right to join in...and I must point out that I was not criticising Gadget's spelling specifically but simply felt I had to make the comment because several others spellt the word incorrectly too. It was a mass misuse I reacted to (it is important to get the facts right - to be pedantic , so to speak)

Now...about the modern misuse of the apostrophe...and the modern use of "could of" instead of "could have"...

don't get me started!

P.S. I am employing the technique irony here because in reality I am a very nice, non pedantic, laid back person...just thought I should point that out! :rofl:

(I am only pretending to be pedantic...Graham and Steve on the other hand...:rofl: :hug: )

Emma
17th-December-2003, 11:49 AM
ad hominen! That's a kind of biscuit, isn't it? :innocent:

Bill
17th-December-2003, 11:53 AM
and my definition wasn't subjective at all ...........it came from Chambers 20th Century dictionary.

But how concerned someone is about correctness can of course be subjective........unless there are measures in place or clear guidelines on what is acceptable and what is not.

We have a subject my students are sitting at the moment where one outcome requires 100% accuracy and they would undoubtedly argue that this was too severe and too much emphasis was placed on a ccuracy but the guidelines are in place and the SQA have clearly decided that 100% is reasonable.

Making a few mistakes is understandable but if it interferes in the communication process it can lead to problems just as inference can. Although if one infers one is trying to ' arrive at a logical conculsion' then it should perhaps be clear to the receiver(s) but the latter may not see the response as logical :sick:

Thank goodness I'm not a pedant :D :na:

If anyone understands any of that can you send a clear explanation to me..............:rofl:

Emma
17th-December-2003, 12:01 PM
Hey, Bill...I was just thinking that there wasn't enough challenge for the advanced pedants on the forum, but I think you have just provided! :cheers:

Boomer
17th-December-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Forte
... felt I had to make the comment because several others spellt the word incorrectly too. ...
:devil:

Forte
17th-December-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
:devil:

:kiss: :sorry

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Forte
Now...about the modern misuse of the apostrophe...and the modern use of "could of" instead of "could have"...

don't get me started!
Wow... birthdays, now apostrophes. You'll be telling me you know the difference between 'infer' and 'imply' next... :what:

in reality I am a very nice, non pedantic, laid back person...just thought I should point that out! :rofl:
Booooooo.

You're a scorpio. How can you be laid back?

Chris

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 12:20 PM
Talking of apostrophes, the title of this thread should be:

Pedants' Corner.

Can I have the biscuit? :waycool:

Graham
17th-December-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Talking of apostrophes, the title of this thread should be:

Pedants' Corner. How do you know? The moderator may have felt that the corner belonged to one particular pedant, even though several appear to have congregated here. :wink:

Emma
17th-December-2003, 12:38 PM
I stand corrected :nice:

Although....in my eyes there is only one pedant, and all the others are merely imitators :wink:

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 12:40 PM
How do you know? The moderator may have felt that the corner belonged to one particular pedant, even though several appear to have congregated here. :wink:

Well, to quote the Trampster,

"Well. It could be. But it wasn't. I was commenting on the case in point, not on some random event that hasn't happened."

Oops. I've read Emma's post now :tears:

Will
17th-December-2003, 12:47 PM
Can anyone lend me a salad?

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Will
Can anyone lend me a salad?
You've lost me there.

Can you lettuce in on the secret?

Bill
17th-December-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Will
Can anyone lend me a salad? and you intend to do what with the salad ???????? Is it a pedantic salad :confused:

TheTramp
17th-December-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Bill
and you intend to do what with the salad ???????? Is it a pedantic salad :confused: Knowing Will, he probably just wants to toss the salad :sick:

Steve

Bill
17th-December-2003, 05:40 PM
Knowing Will, he probably just wants to toss the salad :sick:

Steve

can you say that on the forum :rolleyes: :sick: :D