PDA

View Full Version : Sprung Dance Floors

Whitebeard
2nd-July-2010, 11:11 AM
In promoting their dances organisers frequently eulogise in their promotional material about the huge sprung floor of the hall they happen to be using. Since the variations in size are, well, pretty huge, we may be forgiven for wondering whether the term 'sprung dance floor' also suffers from a similarly wide interpretation. A glance at Wiki confirms that the term is very imprecise and covers a wide range of practices. These may range from early last century mechanically sprung floors to many modern floors laid directly upon underlying concrete screed with, perhaps, an intermediate spongy layer. Does it matter that much?

It probably depends largely upon the sensitivity and discrimination of the individual dancer. I have to admit that I personally do not rate dance floors by their perceived springiness even though, with my cranky knees, this might be thought to be quite an issue. My way of mitigating this handicap is to concentrate where possible on the slower more musical numbers and dance as smoothly as I can with as little bounce as possible ('Slip sliding away' - as Paul Simon would have it). What seems to matter most to me is the slipperiness or 'speed' of the floor. I now wear leather soles (perhaps if I had always done so my knees would be in better shape?) and have yet to find a floor which I find 'too' fast.

In my, admittedly limited experience, there is only one dance floor which stands out from the rest as being very obviously 'sprung' in the traditional sense. This is that at the Pittville Pump Rooms Cheltenham where, sitting on the sidelines, I have literally felt the earth moving beneath me in response to the actions of nearby dancers. I'd love to know the mechanical magic beneath those boards.

Nevertheless, although I like the speed of this floor, I cannot in all honesty say that when dancing I notice its springiness or that this increases my enjoyment. As always, it's the music and/or partner that makes or breaks.

I can imagine that dancers with a more vigorous physical action, or an old style hand and body bounce, and in particular those of a lindy hop persuasion, might be more aware of the subtleties of sprung dance floors. In short, those of a younger and quicker wit than I. It would be interesting to hear such other views.

philsmove
2nd-July-2010, 05:13 PM
....... stands out from the rest as being very obviously 'sprung' in the traditional sense. This is that at the Pittville Pump Rooms Cheltenham .........

The Winter Gardens at W S Mare is another.

The amount of spring, in a traditionally sprung floor, can adjusted, or if the venue is being used for a non dancing event, completely removed

To see a traditional sprung floor at work, you need a really good live band, to literally get the floor moving

Only witness this once ~ 10 years ago at the leroc Winter Ball WSM

I have a feeling, H&S means, the full spring of the WSM floor is no longer used

Prian
3rd-July-2010, 05:12 AM
Hammersmith town hall has a sprung floor. lovely to dance on though I've not been there for a few years. Is it still the same?

Tiggerbabe
3rd-July-2010, 01:12 PM
Aberdeen's Beach Ballroom floor "floats on fixed steel springs" - it's an amazing dancefloor and fabulous to dance on :clap:

rtwwpad
9th-July-2010, 04:18 PM
dance on concrete or outside at a busk. After an hour or so you will know what a delight a sprung floor is and how to recognise it (hint your knees won't be collapsing in agony)

alinp
9th-July-2010, 07:16 PM
At the recent Blackpool champs the spring was turned off. God knows why!!

Went back the next day for the ballroom tea dance, when the spring had been turned back on, and certainly noticed the difference - a marked improvement (IMHO).

todd
12th-July-2010, 03:59 PM
Hammersmith town hall has a sprung floor. lovely to dance on though I've not been there for a few years. Is it still the same?
Went there recently and, while I can't say I noticed the "spring" much, I did think the floor was superb. Whitebeard would love the "speed" of the floor there - smooth, fast(ish) and, above all - consistent. A joy to dance on.