PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Meets Lindy

Dan Hudson
15th-December-2003, 02:50 PM
Wow!!

Last night I went to a fantastic Lindy Hop christmas party in Hammersmith...

I have never ever done lindy hop and was more than content t watch and admire...and listen to the fab music

Then.. to my horror.. up steps Rena, the Lindy Goddess!!! :what: :really:

I agreed to a dance (well who wouldn't?) and made my excuses about never having danced Lindy...

I had a fab dance, really really enjoyed it and Rena was awesome, everything i expected and more:drool:

I was so nervous, a jibbering wreck!!:D :tears: She must have thought I was a wierdo!!

The standard of dancing, musicality etc was outstanding form everyone there and a cool atmosphere too!

Its got me thinking, can us mere Ceroc dancers make the cross over to Lindy, or even attempt it with some grace?

All in all a fab night.. check it out.. www.swingland.com

TheTramp
15th-December-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Dan Hudson
Its got me thinking, can us mere Ceroc dancers make the cross over to Lindy, or even attempt it with some grace?Of course. A large number of Lindy dancers started off dancing by doing Ceroc (or other MJ company).

Personal opinion (without any facts other than observation to back it up), is that without the number of people passing from MJ into Lindy, the whole Lindy scene would still be very, very small in this country. A lot (even most) of the people I know who do Lindy arrived there from MJ.

Steve

RobC
15th-December-2003, 03:48 PM
Wow!!

I have never ever done lindy hop and was more than content t watch and admire...and listen to the fab music

For regular weekly lindy hop classes at a Ceroc venue, why not make your way down to Fleet in the new year. :wink:

Rob

Dan Hudson
15th-December-2003, 03:58 PM
too far mate sorry..

prob quicker to get to scotland with the way the M25 is now days!!...

good plug though:cheers: :waycool:

spindr
15th-December-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RobC
For regular weekly lindy hop classes at a Ceroc venue, why not make your way down to Fleet in the new year. :wink:

Rob

Gosh Rob, hadn't realised you'd given up teaching and become the publicity officer :)

SpinDr

Minnie M
15th-December-2003, 04:39 PM
Mo'Jive (ex Ceroc franchise) and are still following the Ceroc style of teaching with a very big and good following have joined the modern jive meets lindy and this is what is happening this week at a couple of their venues :-

Thursday 18 December at the Pavilion Ballrooms, Westover Road, Bournemouth,
8pm-12am £12.50
FEATURING: Simon Selmon and the Sugar Foot Stompers cabaret

Thursday 18 December at Barton Hall, Horndean, nr Portsmouth, 8pm-12am,
£12.50
FEATURING: The Jiving Lindyhoppers cabaret

Saturday 20 December at Southampton Guildhall, Southampton, 8pm-1am, £15.00
FEATURING: Sweden's HARLEM HOTSHOTS and UK LINDY JIVE CHAMPIONS

A bit far to travel but if would like to see Lindy at its best (I am sure Smartie will agree) try and make the Saturday you will not be dissapointed they are amazing !:cheers:

smartie
15th-December-2003, 04:57 PM
I don't like the expression "lindy at its best" - there are so many different styles and that is so subjective - plus to see lindy at its best you need to look at an old film or two! But if they're who I think they are, yes, The Harlem Hotshots are pretty amazing!

Smartie

Dance Demon
15th-December-2003, 06:43 PM
Mrs D & Me dance lindy, and have also tried other styles of jive. Modern Jivers often feel intimidated by Lindy Hoppers, but in my opinion they shouldn't. Quite a few Lidyhoppers that I know, can only dance Lindy, and to swing music. MJivers are a bit more versatile coz they can dance to anything.........HOWEVER....Lindy is probably a far more spectacular dance visually, especially to the faster tracks, with lots of Charleston footwork. Some Modern Jivers I know have been wooed to Lindy having seen it beeing done, whereas others are scared off by the footwork and think it will all be too difficult......Horses for courses I think:D

Minnie M
15th-December-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by smartie
I don't like the expression "lindy at its best" - there are so many different styles and that is so subjective - plus to see lindy at its best you need to look at an old film or two! But if they're who I think they are, yes, The Harlem Hotshots are pretty amazing!

Smartie

Sorry - I stand corrected :sorry - thanks for the post though:cheers: and it is the lot from Sweden:cheers:

DavidB
15th-December-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by smartie
there are so many different styles and that is so subjective I'd agree with this. I've always been put off doing Lindy because I don't particularly like the music, and I find the style doesn't suit me. But all I'd ever seen was the Savoy style.

Perhaps if I'd seen some of the other styles a few years ago I might have been tempted to learn.

David

Tazmanian Devil
17th-December-2003, 01:17 PM
Wow!!

I have never ever done lindy hop and was more than content t watch and admire...and listen to the fab musicI totally agree with you hunny It was a fab night, the music was great and Martin threw a few tunes on for us also which made the evening great :waycool:
Then.. to my horror.. up steps Rena, the Lindy Goddess!!!

I agreed to a dance (well who wouldn't?) and made my excuses about never having danced Lindy...

I had a fab dance, really really enjoyed it and Rena was awesome, everything i expected and more

I was so nervous, a jibbering wreck!! She must have thought I was a wierdo!!Weirdo darling :confused: not you!! :wink: the dance you had with Rena was fab!! I also made my excuses as also had never danced lindy before, but found everyone was very nice to me!! :grin:
The standard of dancing, musicality etc was outstanding form everyone there and a cool atmosphere toHere here we will have to return up there one evening in the future :kiss: :hug:

Martin
17th-December-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Of course. A large number of Lindy dancers started off dancing by doing Ceroc (or other MJ company).

Personal opinion (without any facts other than observation to back it up), is that without the number of people passing from MJ into Lindy, the whole Lindy scene would still be very, very small in this country. A lot (even most) of the people I know who do Lindy arrived there from MJ.

Steve

This is very much my opinion steve.

Personally I have tried Lindy, including several week-end events many years ago and it does not suit my personal style.

The reason I always thought it was successful in the UK was that the more advanced Cerocers had nowhere else to go other than other dance styles.

IMHO the reason Lindy is not big in Australia is that the Advanced dancers do have somewhere else to go, they develop and are encoraged to develop Ceroc to a more Advanced level, i.e. showcases, teams, ariels, shows.

Bill
17th-December-2003, 04:46 PM
The very last dance I had at Beach Boogie a couple of years ago was with Rena and it was great. I've danced with her a couple of times since and had a whale of a time. She knows how to enjoy herself and I think I gave as good as I got.

I can't lindy - it's a little too energetic for my 'style' but would like to be able to do a few more moves so perhaps at BB thi syear I'll make an effort to do a few classes :rolleyes: :grin: