PDA

View Full Version : Mac or not Mac

Minnie M
16th-May-2010, 08:28 PM
Call all geeks :D
on behalf of cgull - can anyone help please - is he making the right decision in buying :-

2GB Ram
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
500GB HDD
24" Screen.

It has the latest Mac OS - Snow Leopard as well as the latest iLife (which in themselves are worth £100. I have completely reformatted it so it runs as new, and comes with a newer keyboard (I spilt OJ over the original) and a newer mouse. As well as a remote for the entertainment stuff and has an iSight camera built in.

All for £600.

cgull
16th-May-2010, 08:34 PM
thanks Minnie! :cheers:
it's 3 years old - i am told that once you mac you don't look back. is this actually true? is this box upgradeable? ie - will it last me a few more years?
thanks
cgull

rtwwpad
17th-May-2010, 08:07 AM
It looks like a reasonable deal, but as its 3 years old will be out of Applecare Warranty. This is great as it covers the hardware and all the tech support.

I have the 21.5" version and it does me well, I upgraded the RAM to 3GB and added a RAID array for all my photos to store and back them up. It depends what you want to do on it?

It can happily run LR3 and PS CS3. You probably wouldn;t notice much difference getting a new one on speed unless you go to the I5 or I7 chip.

You won't go back. Its been 3.5 years for me and about 2.5 for the wife. So far I've converted my dad, my mother in law and my father in law and about 30 colleagues.

Best thing, mouse squeeze. Makes my life so easy.

Phil

Minnie M
17th-May-2010, 07:04 PM
.........Best thing, mouse squeeze....l

ouch :tears:

He bought it - 24" :innocent: that's all I know - oh, and he can't MSN videos to me :confused:

cgull
17th-May-2010, 07:11 PM
yep - got it. it's clearly been well looked after and i know the kid's mum. bit frustrating getting used to new controls - but so far enjoying playing with it. mouse is clunky - may have to invest in a wireless one. also like the idea of upgrading.
thanks for advice - any good mac tips appreciate...
eg - how do you select all? (equivalent ctrl A on PC) and move one word at a time (eg ctrl arrow on pc).

thanks again
cgull

and thanks to minnie :respect:

daveb9000
17th-May-2010, 09:01 PM
Instead 'control' you press 'command'

pmjd
17th-May-2010, 09:13 PM
Here's a few I posted ages ago

if you need the # symbol you need to press alt + 3

If their is a wee black triangle under a program in the dock it means the program is active, even if there are no windows visible. Click and hold on the icon to bring up a wee menu with options including closing the program

Pressing the apple/command key + Q = Quit current program
Pressing the apple/command key + W = Close current window, or tab in firefox
Pressing the apple/command key + X = Cut
Pressing the apple/command key + C = Copy
Pressing the apple/command key + V = Paste

Holding apple/command key + tab = cycle through open applications
Pressing the apple/command key + H = Hide application
Pressing the apple/command key + I = Information on selected file

cgull
17th-May-2010, 09:39 PM
btw - what is mouse squeeze?

pmjd
17th-May-2010, 09:48 PM
btw - what is mouse squeeze?

I'm guessing rtwwpad has a mighty mouse (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB112ZM/B?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTMzNzYzMzc&s=topSellers), which you could squeeze at the bottom to act as a button press for any function you cared to pick.

rtwwpad
17th-May-2010, 11:44 PM
I have a mighty mouse which has two grey buttons on the sides. You squeeze these and its set to do the same thing as F3 (explode windows out)

Lory
11th-January-2011, 03:54 PM
My advice is.. if you get a Mac, be sure to take out the AppleCare Protection Plan, its worth it!

I've had many times when I've got myself into trouble, mainly through my own incompetence and I've always had a 'first class' service.

The telephone staff are brilliant. I've never had to wait and once you get through, the assistants are always, patient, polite, clear and friendly. :respect:

And today has been no exception, except my optical drive is completely knackered :tears:

But the good news is, the 3year warranty still has 14days left (phew) so they've arranged for it to be picked up tomorrow and the drive replaced, with a new 3month warranty free of charge! :worthy:

Goose
11th-January-2011, 08:24 PM
:yeah:

Genius Bar rocks too...