PDA

View Full Version : Dance shirts and T-shirts for men - recommendations?

Clive Long
20th-April-2010, 11:42 AM
Being a gentleman of ample girth and easy perspiration I find it difficult to wear clothing with any style on the dance floor. The moment I see someone wearing a collared shirt beads of moisture form on my brow.

I would like to wear collared shirts open necked while dancing. I'm sick of shapeless, round-necked cotton T-shirts. I don't have the six-pack profile to go "full-Latin" in the shirt department. Cotton is comfortable but clings like mad when slightly damp.

So ... do any other gents with similar attributes have recommendations for dance shirts? I'm looking for a material that wicks so I can blow dry in front of a large fan between tracks. I would like something with some lycra stretch but not so tight I resemble a beached walrus. For T-shirts I prefer a V-collar made from a wicking fabric. I have worn "sports" T-shirts from M&S and quite like them. For shirts, anything with a collar and a long body because if it wasn't for the length of my legs I would be 2 inches taller.

C

geoff332
20th-April-2010, 02:43 PM
Go for the modern synthetic sport's shorts (you can get them as Ts or polos; you can probably get proper shirts as well). These are the sort of things tennis players and golfers wear. They're made to wick water off the skin and dry in minutes.

clevedonboy
20th-April-2010, 03:08 PM
Cotton Vests are the answer

Look at old photographs of dancers and you will sometimes get a glimpse of the key to looking cool.

Since I took this idea up a few years ago at the advice of a truely brilliant lindy dancer who often dances in a jacket, I have not had to change shirts hardly at all. The idea is that the sweat gets absorbed by the vest and the shirt (which can be whatever you want) stays dry to the touch - sure you may need to change vests periodically but you look consistent throughout the evening and your shirt doesn't get that icky sweaty look.

It may seem contrary but it really does work.

philsmove
20th-April-2010, 03:10 PM
the "coolest" shirt i have found, is a cotton/ linen mix

Dreadful Scathe
20th-April-2010, 04:07 PM
yeah cotton, but the t-shirt must have the slogan "I didnt get this t-shirt because it had the word f*** on it, I got this t-shirt because it had the word f*** on it twice"

:)

Andy McGregor
20th-April-2010, 06:21 PM
Go for Hawiaan shirts. They are designed for hot climates, they are baggy, cotton, don't show how wet they are and, most importantly, no woman wants to be seen out with a guy wearing one.

OK the last bit is a negative. But us guys think we look great in them. And they are just the job for MJ dancing. They're cheap too - they're ALWAYS in the sale.

David Bailey
20th-April-2010, 06:57 PM
Christ, I thought you were dead :eek:

clevedonboy
20th-April-2010, 07:04 PM
Christ, I thought you were dead :eek:

Isn't that what Mary Magdellen said on Easter Sunday?

frodo
20th-April-2010, 10:30 PM
So ... do any other gents with similar attributes have recommendations for dance shirts? I'm looking for a material that wicks so I can blow dry in front of a large fan between tracks.
Not a recommendation, as I haven't tried them, but I noticed someone has gone to the trouble to manufacture jive specific shirts (http://www.murphys-shirts.co.uk/ ), for men.

johnthehappyguy
20th-January-2011, 09:26 PM
Cotton Vests are the answer

Look at old photographs of dancers and you will sometimes get a glimpse of the key to looking cool.

Since I took this idea up a few years ago at the advice of a truely brilliant lindy dancer who often dances in a jacket, I have not had to change shirts hardly at all. The idea is that the sweat gets absorbed by the vest and the shirt (which can be whatever you want) stays dry to the touch - sure you may need to change vests periodically but you look consistent throughout the evening and your shirt doesn't get that icky sweaty look.

It may seem contrary but it really does work.

:yeah::yeah::yeah: tried and tested by myself too