PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Day dreams

horsey_dude
11th-December-2003, 09:37 AM
When I hear a very danceable track that I like I will often go through in my mind all of the moves that I would be doing if I was dancing it (Including some that are technically out of my range).

This is fine for me as a man, but what do women do in the same situation as you wouldn't be used to controlling what move comes next (unless you dance as a man)........?

HD.

Rachel
11th-December-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
When I hear a very danceable track that I like I will often go through in my mind all of the moves that I would be doing if I was dancing it (Including some that are technically out of my range).

This is fine for me as a man, but what do women do in the same situation as you wouldn't be used to controlling what move comes next (unless you dance as a man)........?

HD. Oh yes, I do this!! The moment any track I like begins, I immediately have visions of a fully choreographed routine running through my head. (Like a stage setting, where I am a member of the audience watching the dancers perform.) I always know immediately how I would want to dance it.

As you say, though, it's a bit difficult when you're a follower. Sometimes, the guy seems to have read the music in the same way, but when he appears to have a completely different interpretation, that's where I have trouble because I just can't get my images out of my mind.

Of course bland pop numbers or stuff that doesn't interest me, don't conjure up any images at all. Then I can just blindly follow, but it always feels like something's lacking.
Rachel

bigdjiver
11th-December-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Oh yes, I do this!! The moment any track I like begins, I immediately have visions of a fully choreographed routine running through my head. (Like a stage setting, where I am a member of the audience watching the dancers perform.) I always know immediately how I would want to dance it.

If any of my partners feel this way, I wish that they would express it. I would love to cooperate in a choreographed routine.

Rachel
11th-December-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
If any of my partners feel this way, I wish that they would express it. I would love to cooperate in a choreographed routine. Unfortunately, none of my images involve partner dancing in any way - they're more just jazz- or ballet-based routines. And it's just the style or 'feel' of these images that I have in mind throughout the MJ dance.

I'm always scared in jive dancing that, when given the room to improvise, I might come out with some instinctive but highly imappropriate ballet step or something and leave my partner wondering 'what the hell is that girl doing?'!!

Actually, though, it's thanks to Lily that I have become much less scared of being more, I don't know, balletic perhaps, and doing moves which I used to think didn't fit into jive - something I always used to fight against so hard.

Funny, there is a part of me that would really love to choreograph and perform a spotlight routine. Music and moves all of my own choosing.... Well, you never know - maybe one day!
Rachel

Paul F
11th-December-2003, 01:03 PM

Actually, though, it's thanks to Lily that I have become much less scared of being more, I don't know, balletic perhaps, and doing moves which I used to think didn't fit into jive - something I always used to fight against so hard.
Rachel

Reminds me of that popular dance film "Save the last dance" except the girl did it the other way, taking a different style into ballet (hip hop).

If more people would do this it would open up a whole new chapter in MJ. :grin:

Rachel
11th-December-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Paul F
Reminds me of that popular dance film "Save the last dance" except the girl did it the other way, taking a different style into ballet (hip hop).

If more people would do this it would open up a whole new chapter in MJ. :grin: Interesting!

I don't know that film. Do you recommend it?

Chris
11th-December-2003, 02:37 PM

HD.

I definitely often have dance daydreams when I hear fave record but the moves are always chosen by whatever dance partner is in the daydream with me.

If I think choreographed moves (as in I'm the one choosing the moves to fit to the music) it's usually in response to the thought 'Wouldn't that be fabulous set to dance!' and is usually a theme, such as Matrix (loved the NZ version of this btw!) or Bladerunner or . . . (well, yes, usually movie themes - I'm a total movie addict!:blush: )

Bardsey
11th-December-2003, 02:47 PM

HD.

I do that too, although my partner tends to be faceless. I think its much easier for a woman to daydream the moves, then we can think of the ones we wish the men WOULD do, instead of the (sometimes) repetitive ones they do in reality.

I also, usually after getting back from a class or dance, find as soon as I lay down to sleep, my mind is filled with images of dancing and dance moves, which either keeps me awake for ages or sends me into an exhausted sleep....lol

TheTramp
11th-December-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Paul F

If more people would do this it would open up a whole new chapter in MJ. :grin: Ummm. I'm confused. (Nothing new there then eh!) :confused:

Aren't people bringing new styles into MJ all the time?? Lindy moves from lots of people. People like Viktor bringing in a more salsa style. People like the two Dans (Baines and Slape) and Donna bringing in Hip Hop. People like Amir bringing in Tango?? People like Lily and David bringing in a more WCS style?? People like Mike Ellard and Linda bringing in a Latin ballroom style??

And that's just the few I thought of off the top of my head.....

Steve

Jive Brummie
11th-December-2003, 09:41 PM
I do this day dream dancing thing all the time.
Specially when i'm at work and am very bored, (that's most of the time!!!). I seem to fall into a choreographed routine. The only problem is that I can never see how I get from one move to another........

Tell you what, it's a good job we don't have 'day dream dancing competition's'. I'd wager FC and I would kick all you butt's!!!!

I can be very imaginative:wink: :wink:

James......x:rofl:

Forte
12th-December-2003, 02:29 PM
I love dance daydreams. I often wish life was like "Singin' in the rain" or "On the Town" when people bizarrely launch into a song and dance routine and then when it's finished just pick up the dialogue from where it left off...:rofl:

Bardsey
12th-December-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Forte
I love dance daydreams. I often wish life was like "Singin' in the rain" or "On the Town" when people bizarrely launch into a song and dance routine and then when it's finished just pick up the dialogue from where it left off...:rofl:

:rofl: Yeah that would be great :waycool: Wouldn't it also be great to hear a good MJ number come over on the background music in a supermarket, grab the nearest man, do a quick MJ routine, then start shopping again without a blink! :rofl:

TheTramp
12th-December-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
:rofl: Yeah that would be great :waycool: Wouldn't it also be great to hear a good MJ number come over on the background music in a supermarket, grab the nearest man, do a quick MJ routine, then start shopping again without a blink! :rofl: You mean that you don't already?

How strange! :rolleyes:

Steve

Lounge Lizard
12th-December-2003, 04:42 PM
Interesting!

I don't know that film. Do you recommend it? no not really, big build up to good dance routine at the end.
The Waltons meet Saturday night fever but with HIp Hop not disco

Gadget
12th-December-2003, 11:44 PM
:rofl: Yeah that would be great :waycool: Wouldn't it also be great to hear a good MJ number come over on the background music in a supermarket, grab the nearest man, do a quick MJ routine, then start shopping again without a blink! :rofl:
I've never met anyone when shopping that I know dances, but if I did, I think I would just walk up casually, offer a hand and do a couple of moves, then break appart and continue shopping.

{I did meet Lorna once, but she was with Tim & Junior and I was with my family - and Tim's a better dancer than me. :sorry:}

JamesGeary
13th-December-2003, 07:06 AM
Yep. Or while driving. Almost driven myself off the road a few times that way.

michael
13th-December-2003, 11:09 AM

Mmmm......Xmas Supermarket shopping list......A dance with all the really good female dancers. Music.....Slow and moving........Venues..... Safeway, Asda, Marks & Spencer, Sainsburys. Times and dates please.:D

Might (well maybe) just give me some incentive other than being starving to go to the supermarket. It would certainly improve everyones dancing skills with regards Double Trouble or would that be caled Double Trolley:what: :blush:

Rachel
15th-December-2003, 10:27 AM
:rofl: Yeah that would be great :waycool: Wouldn't it also be great to hear a good MJ number come over on the background music in a supermarket, grab the nearest man, do a quick MJ routine, then start shopping again without a blink! :rofl: Hee hee - I like this!! Marc and I always do our shopping late at night after dancing and we've quite often had a dance in some of the empty aisles. I also like tap dancing round Tesco. We often get very strange looks by the staff, but it seems to amuse them! Marc also does a very good trolley routine ...
Rachel

Bardsey
15th-December-2003, 12:28 PM
Hee hee - I like this!! Marc and I always do our shopping late at night after dancing and we've quite often had a dance in some of the empty aisles. I also like tap dancing round Tesco. We often get very strange looks by the staff, but it seems to amuse them! Marc also does a very good trolley routine ...
Rachel

Ohmygawd! You actually do it! Fantastic!!!!:rofl:

Rachel
15th-December-2003, 01:10 PM
Ohmygawd! You actually do it! Fantastic!!!!:rofl: And I'm such a shy reserved person, too! But I was telling Marc last night (after watching him have a particularly brilliant but wild dance with Zara) that the main reason I love him is cos he's so wierd and wacky!

Mind you, the strange looks we get from Tesco staff after witnessing our dancing, is nothing compared to the reaction we got after Marc shut me in one of those upright freezer thingies and lent against the door so I couldn't get out. It took me a loooong time to forgive him for that!
Rachel

Will
15th-December-2003, 01:13 PM
Mind you, the strange looks we get from Tesco staff after witnessing our dancing, is nothing compared to the reaction we got after Marc shut me in one of those upright freezer thingies and lent against the door so I couldn't get out. It took me a loooong time to forgive him for that!
Rachel
I am SOOOO looking forward to getting a detailed account of that event the next time I see you!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rachel
15th-December-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Will
I am SOOOO looking forward to getting a detailed account of that event the next time I see you!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well, that's about it, really. He tricked me into leaning into the freezer by telling me the veggie sausages were right at the back. Then he just pushed me in and shut the door. And wouldn't let me out.

I was so annoyed! Now I like practical jokes - honest, I do - but I do NOT like Cold and I do NOT like Wet. I was doing my very angriest, 'let me out - NOWWW!' but when you're face in to a freezer with a mouth full of quorn and shelves of burgers sticking into your stomach, it pretty hard to sound threatening!

Will
15th-December-2003, 02:51 PM
Well, that's about it, really. He tricked me into leaning into the freezer by telling me the veggie sausages were right at the back. Then he just pushed me in and shut the door. And wouldn't let me out.

I was so annoyed! Now I like practical jokes - honest, I do - but I do NOT like Cold and I do NOT like Wet. I was doing my very angriest, 'let me out - NOWWW!' but when you're face in to a freezer with a mouth full of quorn and shelves of burgers sticking into your stomach, it pretty hard to sound threatening!
An absolute classic!!! I can see it now. You must have been seething :rofl:

So how long did it take for you're cold shoulder to thaw??? And did anyone complain that there was a big piece of red meat in the vegetarian Freezer? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Graham
15th-December-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Will
And did anyone complain that there was a big piece of red meat in the vegetarian Freezer? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But Rachel's not big!

TheTramp
15th-December-2003, 02:56 PM
That is quite funny really. Wish I'd been there with the video camera. Maybe we can get together with Marc and set it up...? :D

Steve

Jon L
15th-December-2003, 05:20 PM
Help! I have not had dancing dreams, I have had TWO ceroc forum dreams.

In other words I have dreamt that I have been logged on this forum (without actually being on). In one case I was awaiting a post from Andy Mc on something.

Worrying !!!!!!

Any other members had this????????: :sick: