PDA

View Full Version : Aftermath Threads – Do you enjoy them and who should be allowed to post

Maxine
18th-February-2010, 09:42 AM
I really enjoy the general chit chat threads and the game threads but the threads I enjoy the most are the feedback threads, after all this is a dance forum. If I’ve been to the event I like to see how others felt about it if their opinions were similar or completely different to mine and why. If I have not been I like to know how it went and if it would be something that I would enjoy next time. The wider range of opinions you get the more informed judgement one can make.

There has been some discussion on the Metropolis Weekender about who can post a review. As a member of the forum I have no qualms about someone who is a commercial operator giving their opinion as long as they make it clear what their interest in the events were. IMHO a feedback is very different from advertising an event therefore the rules on commercial operators should be different

How do others feel about Aftermath threads and do you think there should be restrictions on who posts

Franck
18th-February-2010, 12:00 PM
IMHO a feedback is very different from advertising an event therefore the rules on commercial operators should be different

How do others feel about Aftermath threads and do you think there should be restrictions on who posts
I totally agree with you, and feedback is permitted for all members. There are no restrictions on giving feedback for Commercial Operators. Stokebloke asked to have his 'review' deleted after we removed the 3 lines of advertising it included. The rules are pretty clear and straightforward, and for Commercial Operators, advertising is not permitted. Looking at Stokebloke's review on Facebook, the moderating team would have had to remove all the 'self-promotion' references, but the aftermath post would have been fine.

It's a difficult situation, but, whilst you might know the different connections between operators and able to filter out the bias, most readers on the forum might not.

Looking at the way Facebook is turning into a giant Spam and advertising site, I am happier than ever that we took the steps a few years back to stop advertising. I know it upsets some Commercial Operators who feel (wrongly) picked on, but I would rather have a quieter forum, than turn it into a spam site, with everyone trying to out-advertise their competitors.

Stokebloke understood very well the rules, and was told exactly why his post was edited. He chose to make a big deal of it on Facebook (and in here), I expect as a further act of self-promotion and martyrdom. Before I get accused of Ceroc bias, it is important to point out that Ceroc adverts (apart from my own) are also removed / edited, and that most of the Moderation Team have no affiliation to Ceroc and that most decisions are discussed privately between moderators.

emmylou25
18th-February-2010, 12:28 PM
The reviews for me are some of the best threads on here - it's good to hear what different people's views are about events I go to but also to work out where I'd like to try next.

I'm not worried about everyone being able to post - I think they should be allowed, and generally you can get a feel of who's affiliated to something/one when you're reading even if you don't know the details. But I don't particularly want to see advertising.

It would be good if Commercial operators when posting threads were clear to all if they were involved with a certain part (ceroc ones are pretty clear as the names are familiar, but independent are less so unless I personally know the person involved). It would allow for everyone to understand each side of the opinion.

Lory
18th-February-2010, 01:04 PM
Just to add my two penneth.

I don't think people have a clue how much gets removed or edited on here and as Franck said, Ceroc events included!
So, it does make me sigh, when someone thinks they're being picked on because they're not Ceroc :banghead:

Like Maxine, for all the reasons she's given , the best bit for me about this forum, are the reviews.
The good, bad and the ugly and the differing opinions, all on one thread!:popcorn:

Its not something I've found on Facebook, YET!

I've just been away for 5 days and I returned home to find 32 messages in my FB inbox. 30 of them were adverts and only 2 were from genuine friends!

At this present time, I've got over 60 events i've been invited to. I think probably less than five are personal birthday parties etc

All of the above is great, cos I have the 'delete' button AND also, once an event is passed, it disappears anyway..... unlike threads and posts on here! Can you imagine how clogged the forum would be? :sick:

In the past, I've considered what it'd be like to allow advertising on here and admit, from time to time, I've thought it might be OK in moderation but as Franck said, now I've seen the way Fabebook's gone, I'm glad we've not gone down that route.

Most of the reviews are from us 'punters' and that's what I most like to read!

So here we are again....we have our set of rules and these are clear, concise and strictly enforced, and I can assure you.....in an unbiased way! ;)

Trouble
18th-February-2010, 01:45 PM
I've just been away for 5 days and I returned home to find 32 messages in my FB inbox. 30 of them were adverts and only 2 were from genuine friends!

At this present time, I've got over 60 events i've been invited to. I think probably less than five are personal birthday parties etc

;)

Actually, you do have a point there, facebook spam drives me absolutely mad. There are so many events these days that its endless. Still, the odd one does inspire me to have a look or i think oooh didn't realise that was on this weekend etc etc.

I love aftermath threads as a way to see how the weekend went and especially new ones as if its got a good review, it pushes for people to try it next time, myself included.

Maxine
18th-February-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks Franck and Lory for clarifying some of the rules and I am glad that anyone can post regardless of their connections, as this makes for much more balanced discussions.

I do hope that forumites continue to post aftermath and amazing last night posts because they make such an interesting read

I agree with you both about the facebook spamming, it drove me mad that I either removed the people as friends or block the posts the thing is I do want to know about the events just not 3 times a day.

sunnybunny
18th-February-2010, 03:35 PM
I, too, love reading the Aftermath threads for the same reasons as stated above - ie to help me decide if I would like to attend the event in future and also to see if people's views and experiences are the same or are in contrast to my own.

Only from experience and getting to know people, can you work out whose opinions you can trust and set store by, and whose you should take with a pinch of salt. (over effusive use of words like "awesome" and the phrase "the best dancers" spring to mind here). :whistle:

What does bug me though, is when those people with an axe to grind or a particular point that they wish to make (over and over again, it would seem) hijack the thread and things descend into a two-way slanging match, or move "off-topic". This resuts in one of two scenarios - either the complete "killing off" of the thread because people no longer bother to read or add to the thread or the mods having to step in and split the thread.

TheTramp
18th-February-2010, 04:26 PM
I agree with you both about the facebook spamming, it drove me mad that I either removed the people as friends or block the posts the thing is I do want to know about the events just not 3 times a day.

I have just about had enough with the whole facebook advertising thing. I don't generally accept friend requests from 'friends' who are listed by their organisation name. And I have just removed from my 'friends' list all the people, especially those from a distance away from where I live (some in Australia!), who continuously send me event invitations for events that I am obviously not going to go to.

I wish other people would do the same, so that organisers would wake up and realise that some (most/all?) people don't want facebook to be just another means for them to get free advertising. If I want to hear about their events, I'll subscribe to their emails, and they can tell me about them there!

Finally, I'm very happy that Franck (and the moderators) don't allow advertising from any source on the forum, and I wish that the people who try to bend and break the rules would respect that, and not go out of their way to try to get around it. Cos it's really not likely to make me want to go to their events. And this includes getting their friends (sycophants?) to post on their behalf. Do they think we're stupid and don't realise this? :banghead:

Oh, and yes, I also read the aftermath threads. It's about all on the forum I still actually bother to read :D

JiveLad
18th-February-2010, 06:25 PM
Some interesting points here - in particular regarding Facebook (FB).

The way I see it is the organisers/operators are trying to pull people in and using FB as a low cost approach to marketing - and that is fair enough. In addition, if the 'community' aspects can be built up - then so much the better.

However if people feel that they are being spammed then something has gone wrong - and maybe this is where the operators need to be more discerning in terms of 'permission based' approaches (although I am not sure how sophisticated this would be in FB - guess the operator might have to manually set up different 'groups' of Friends who would be served different (and potentially overlapping) marketing messages). I am sure you guys know the ins and outs of this better than I do.

Personally, I like to see the events that are going on - and indeed if a calendar of dance events could be built up - and accessed/displayed in FB that would be fab* - a bit like the birthday calendar thingy in FB - so I can see everyones birthdays within a month. So if Lyndas List and John Sweeneys weekender list could be integated into a dynamic calendar for FB, then that would be perfect (plus a sprinkling of events north of Watford as required).

* fabulous

<---- Note to mods----->
Maybe this could be another thread: 'Facebook Dancing Events - Spam or Prime Cuts of tenderloin?'

Lory
18th-February-2010, 06:43 PM
<---- Note to mods----->
Maybe this could be another thread: 'Facebook Dancing Events - Spam or Prime Cuts of tenderloin?'
See how it goes, if the thread starts to go off on a completely new tangent, I'll start a new one.. OR you can start new one yourself, if you want to!

Re Facebook Adverts, I'm afraid when I get lots from any particular organiser, all it serves to do, is make me ignore them all, so I think it rather works against what they'e trying to achieve.

Cruella
18th-February-2010, 06:48 PM
Mods, can I ask why the review, I posted a link to, was removed? I know it wasn't written directly on this forum but it was still a review of the weekender in the relevant thread. Many times people post links to things relevant to the thread subject.
The reason was given that it was a 'soft delete' which i presume means it might be returned if the mods agree. I'm just curious as to why it was being reviewed at all.

Cruella
18th-February-2010, 06:51 PM
!Re Facebook Adverts, I'm afraid when I get lots from any particular organiser, all it serves to do, is make me ignore them all, so I think it rather works against what they'e trying to achieve.

:yeah: I usually only look at the ones that I get rarely from that organiser, the rest, I just see who sent it and delete if it's a regular spammer.

robd
18th-February-2010, 07:03 PM
The FB spam thing would be pretty simple to stop if you had an allow/disallow preference for event invitations from individuals. It could (should?) be on allow by default and then if you feel you are receiving endless or unnecessary invitations you could set to disallow for the individual in question. I have some people I am friendly with who do send me a lot of event invitations, I don't wish to remove them as a friend but i would like to stop the invites.

I also enjoy (and usually contribute to) the aftermath threads on here.

Lory
18th-February-2010, 07:10 PM
Mods, can I ask why the review, I posted a link to, was removed? I know it wasn't written directly on this forum but it was still a review of the weekender in the relevant thread. Many times people post links to things relevant to the thread subject.
The reason was given that it was a 'soft delete' which i presume means it might be returned if the mods agree. I'm just curious as to why it was being reviewed at all.

Mod hat on

Ok its simple.

If we allowed links to be posted, to posts which we've since edited or deleted from the forum, there would be no difference to it being posted here.

And if we let this one go, then we can foresee a floodgate of similar situations happening in the future!
Someone posts something here which gets deleted, then someone else simple posts a link to it! :rolleyes:

Its a potential loophole that we do not wish to open.

We've given clear reasons as to why Stokeblokes review was edited in the first place and it was 'deleted' after, at Stokeblokes request.

Cruella
18th-February-2010, 07:27 PM
Mod hat on

We've given clear reasons as to why Stokeblokes review was edited in the first place and it was 'deleted' after, at Stokeblokes request.

The link wasn't to Stokies review it was a review from a guy called Ken (as in Ken and Kim from Tango) written on a Tango forum.

Lory
18th-February-2010, 07:43 PM
The link wasn't to Stokies review it was a review from a guy called Ken (as in Ken and Kim from Tango) written on a Tango forum.

Ah, that one, we're waiting for confirmation that Ken was not commercially involved. OK? :flower:

Cruella
18th-February-2010, 07:55 PM
Ah, that one, we're waiting for confirmation that Ken was not commercially involved. OK? :flower:

Yes, I was just curious as to the reason. As far as I know he was a paying punter, as it said in the review. He certainly wasn't working as crew anyway. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too. :flower:

philsmove
18th-February-2010, 07:59 PM
. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too. :flower:
:yeah:

Lory
18th-February-2010, 08:06 PM
As far as I know he was a paying punter, as it said in the review. He certainly wasn't working as crew anyway. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too. :flower:

I've reinstated it! ;)

djtrev
18th-February-2010, 11:38 PM
Yes, I was just curious as to the reason. As far as I know he was a paying punter, as it said in the review. He certainly wasn't working as crew anyway. There were negative and positive comments, so it was a nice balanced review too. :flower:

Now that the link has been restored it occurs to me that the deciding factor for me to attend a weekender is purely down to the accomodation.There cant be many weekenders,if any,that you cant be guaranteed some of the best teachers and music so that doesnt become an issue.
Unfortunately Southport and Camber are getting such bad rep. for their chalets that they would certainly not be top of my list.
It would seem that Potters at Lowestoft (Swish) are the front runners in
holiday camp venues,certainly for quality.I note that they are sold out of nearly all the hotel rooms for 2011 already.
Time will tell but I wont be surprised to see the hotel weekender take more of a preference.
I know SP has a huge following but unless Pontins up their game I can see a wind of change.

Lory
18th-February-2010, 11:56 PM
Time will tell but I wont be surprised to see the hotel weekender take more of a preference.

Yes, I agree, I think hotel based weekenders will definitely start to grow in popularity, as they'll attract those who've never fancied slumming it. as well as the hardcore, who simply like to attend 'every' weekend going! :nice:

I can't think of many reasons (apart from the price) that people wouldn't fancy a hotel, over and above a camp site, especially in the winter months :confused:

But I do think its a shame that Metropolis and LUX were only a week apart, as I'm sure there would have been a few dancers, who would have liked to attend both, had they been spaced out more!

Lee Bartholomew
19th-February-2010, 12:01 AM
Just to throw my hat in to the ring with the whole facebook thing :wink:

I use facebook alot for the promo of my events and classes, however, I only send messages and event invites to people who have joined the group for our dance club.

If people who live 200 miles away have joined a group called "Monday night classes in East Sussex", should I have to worry about wether they live local or not? The whole point of starting a group is to have them contacts who are class members without having to trawl through the 900+ friends list individualy mailing people.

I would say the first step you should take to cut down spam is going through your groups and fan pages and only joining the classes/groups you actually WANT mail from.

Secondly, as most of you know, Facebook changed recently as phase 1 of it's overall change. Soon messages from groups etc will not show in your inbox, but in the dashboard that is now on the left hand side.

DavidY
19th-February-2010, 12:15 AM
If people who live 200 miles away have joined a group called "Monday night classes in East Sussex", should I have to worry about whether they live local or not? The whole point of starting a group is to have them contacts who are class members without having to trawl through the 900+ friends list individually mailing people.I think that it's fair enough to email people if they've joined a group of that sort, although it's slightly annoying that once you've been invited to join a group you seem to get the emails even if you haven't confirmed your membership yet.

It's the people that invite you to become friends and then use that to email you that are more annoying.

Lory
19th-February-2010, 12:49 AM
Back to the whole aftermath thread thing...

I've been thinking of why the forum is IMO 'better' than facebook and its simple because people from 'all angles' have access to it, can read the reviews and contribute if they so wish.

This is not the case with FB

This IMO, gives the punter power!

Smart organisers, read the reviews and use the feedback to give their customers an improved service!

Therefore, the punter is in a win win situation! :clap:

TheTramp
19th-February-2010, 01:53 AM
I use facebook alot for the promo of my events and classes, however, I only send messages and event invites to people who have joined the group for our dance club.

If people who live 200 miles away have joined a group called "Monday night classes in East Sussex", should I have to worry about wether they live local or not? The whole point of starting a group is to have them contacts who are class members without having to trawl through the 900+ friends list individualy mailing people.

I would say the first step you should take to cut down spam is going through your groups and fan pages and only joining the classes/groups you actually WANT mail from.

I don't join any groups. I block all applications the first time someone tries to get me onto them. And I have previously deleted 'friends' on the basis that they send me too much spam. And I don't do anything that encourages spam. I'm not talking about groups - yeah, you join those, then you deserve what you get.

I'm talking about 'friends' who have no contact with me, other than to send me event invitations and advertising for their events that I am not going to attend because they're hundreds, or thousands!, of miles away.

And I did recently cut down on the spam. I deleted all the people to whom the above paragraph refers :D

Maxine
19th-February-2010, 09:38 AM
Back to the whole aftermath thread thing...

I've been thinking of why the forum is IMO 'better' than facebook and its simple because people from 'all angles' have access to it, can read the reviews and contribute if they so wish.

This is not the case with FB

This IMO, gives the punter power!

Smart organisers, read the reviews and use the feedback to give their customers an improved service!

Therefore, the punter is in a win win situation! :clap:

I like facebook but on a completely different level to the forum. For me the forum is about dance primarily and obviously the people we relate to on the forum are dancers so have the understanding of the ‘dance effect ‘on your life. On facebook however, my friends come from a diverse background and many of them with no interest or understanding of the world of dance. Facebook is great for instant chat and for me scrabble and for storing my photos (which I have learnt my lesson after losing 5 years worth of photos including my son’s graduation, when my old computer crashed/died).

For me though facebook could not compete with the forum for discussion.

Lynn
19th-February-2010, 09:49 AM
Now that the link has been restored it occurs to me that the deciding factor for me to attend a weekender is purely down to the accomodation.This is why reviews are helpful. There are lots of weekenders to choose from now and we each have to apply personal criteria as to which we choose. If accomodation is the reason (and I can understand that being the case, some folk like nicer accomodation) then reviews help in making those decisions.

Personally a big factor for me is travelling time and ease. So I'm interested in reading reviews of weekenders like Southport and Metropolis because both are close to airports which have low cost airlines operating from Belfast. And even more important to read reviews of events like Camber and Skegness as they aren't as easy to travel to, so I need to decide if the event is worth the extra travelling time and effort.

Please keep the reviews coming, they are some of the most interesting threads on the forum. And thanks to all those who post reviews.

Gav
19th-February-2010, 09:57 AM
it occurs to me that the deciding factor for me to attend a weekender is purely down to the accomodation.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but :yeah:.
Having been to a couple of Jump, Jive 'n' Boogie events in hotels on Hayling Island, when we saw the info about Metropolis I knew we would be going to that one.
I don't have anything against the Pontins and Butlins weekenders, I think they're great, but given the choice I'd stay in a hotel every time.

Without aftermath threads, we couldn't really let others know how strongly we felt about issues like this, could we?

Lory
19th-February-2010, 09:58 AM
[FONT=Verdana]I like facebook but on a completely different level to the forum. :yeah:

Facebook is great for ~snip~ storing my photos
and sharing them :nice:

I also love the way you can keep in-touch with your friends, on a very casual basis. It bridges the gap between no contact at all and full on, in your face contact. :grin:

For me though facebook could not compete with the forum for discussion.
Absolutely :waycool:

Gav
19th-February-2010, 10:02 AM
And I did recently cut down on the spam. I deleted all the people to whom the above paragraph refers :D

I think that's the thing that makes both the Forum and Facebook good.
On Facebook, I can delete people when I get bored of their constant streams of drivel, advertising or when they just never do anything interesting.
On the Forum, I can't do that (apart from using the Ignore list and that interupts the flow of discussions); but the Forum takes care of the advertising and some of the other things we don't like for us.

Different tools for different jobs.

Rocky
19th-February-2010, 10:35 AM
But I do think its a shame that Metropolis and LUX were only a week apart, as I'm sure there would have been a few dancers, who would have liked to attend both, had they been spaced out more!

I think you mean Swish and Metropolis, LUX is at the end of August - and as regards dates, Swish has had roughly the same dates around mid to end of Feb for the last 4 years so it was the Metropolis dates which clashed - although, to be fair it's likely that they would have had a very limited choice of available dates to choose from.

Lory
19th-February-2010, 11:40 AM
I think you mean Swish and Metropolis, LUX is at the end of August - and as regards dates, Swish has had roughly the same dates around mid to end of Feb for the last 4 years so it was the Metropolis dates which clashed - although, to be fair it's likely that they would have had a very limited choice of available dates to choose from.

Opps, yes I made a mistake, I did mean Swish! :doh::blush:

Lory
19th-February-2010, 12:22 PM
This is why reviews are helpful. There are lots of weekenders to choose from now and we each have to apply personal criteria as to which we choose. ~snip~

Please keep the reviews coming, they are some of the most interesting threads on the forum. And thanks to all those who post reviews.

Phew, I think its now safe to say, we're all in agreement that reviews are a good thing :clap:

But I'm still concerned that it needs to be clear to ALL, if there's a connection between the poster and the event! As it does have a baring on their view point!

I know I'll probably be accused of being pedantic :banghead: but I insist on a even playing field!

AFAIC I would like it if all posters were upfront about their position. For example on the Metropolis thread, Snow white (Sara White) stated right at the beginning of her review that she was teaching there. Then she gave a concise review from her perspective, which was both enjoyable and informative! :worthy:

I think there's a lot of people who read this forum, who're not 'in the know' and therefore, when they read a glowing review about the DJ's, it might make a difference to how much credence they pay to that part of the review, if they then found out that the poster, employs the very same DJ's for their own events, on a regular basis!

For example...It would be like 'Tiger' (who runs Berko on Sundays) bigging up MarcF at Camber/Southport/Swish, saying he played an amazing set and he's the 'best' DJ etc etc. Yes, he might well believe that but knowing that Marc DJ's for him at Berko on most Sunday's, would have a bearing on how much value I give that part of his review!

This in no way means I wouldn't want Tiger not to post his review, I'd still be very interested in it. I'd just feel better if it was clear to all, the connection he has.

AM I MAKING SENSE????

Lynn
19th-February-2010, 01:25 PM
I think you mean Swish and Metropolis, LUX is at the end of August - and as regards dates, Swish has had roughly the same dates around mid to end of Feb for the last 4 years so it was the Metropolis dates which clashed.To be fair JA have had weekenders in early Feb for the past 6 years - Scarborough (2 years), SP (2 years), Skegness last year and Manchester.

But I'm still concerned that it needs to be clear to ALL, if there's a connection between the poster and the event! As it does have a baring on their view point!Agreed - I'd still like to read reviews of events from people who crew/teach/DJ as they still are useful and interesting feedback - but its good to know their connection so you know their perspective in experiencing the event and writing their review.

Rocky
19th-February-2010, 02:10 PM
I think there's a lot of people who read this forum, who're not 'in the know' and therefore, when they read a glowing review about the DJ's, it might make a difference to how much credence they pay to that part of the review, if they then found out that the poster, employs the very same DJ's for their own events, on a regular basis!

You're not bitch slapping our Stoke friend again are you... 'cos I think he'd like that..:wink:

To be fair JA have had weekenders in early Feb for the past 6 years - Scarborough (2 years), SP (2 years), Skegness last year and Manchester. .

.. although, to be fair it's likely that they would have had a very limited choice of available dates to choose from.

Yes, but they weren't hotel based weekends, so not in direct competition, which is what Lory was specifically referring to - and I did qualify my point with my last sentence which you clearly chose to ignore and delete from my quote when you replied...:whistle:

djtrev
19th-February-2010, 02:26 PM

For example...It would be like 'Tiger' (who runs Berko on Sundays) bigging up MarcF at Camber/Southport/Swish, saying he played an amazing set and he's the 'best' DJ etc etc. Yes, he might well believe that but knowing that Marc DJ's for him at Berko on most Sunday's, would have a bearing on how much value I give that part of his review!

As a relative outsider on this forum it strikes me that anyone who reads this forum would be 'in the know'.I dont go to weekenders and I am not a regular Utopian,but I am certainly aware of the luuvieness that abounds on this forum for some DJ's;not that I am saying that it might not be warrented;and it is for that reason that I gloss over the DJ and teacher reviews and prefer to give more value to all the other aspects of peoples weekend experiences.

Lynn
19th-February-2010, 02:29 PM
Yes, but they weren't hotel based weekends, so not in direct competition, which is what Lory was specifically referring to - and I did qualify my point with my last sentence which you clearly chose to ignore and delete from my quote when you replied...:whistle:I simply deleted it so that I could say 'to be fair' - to highlight that I wasn't stirring and you'd used the same phrase! But certainly, believe I was trying to corrupt your quote if that makes you feel better. And Scarborough was hotel based cos I was there staying in a nice hotel in 2005 and 2006.

Rocky
19th-February-2010, 02:54 PM
I simply deleted it so that I could say 'to be fair' - to highlight that I wasn't stirring and you'd used the same phrase! But certainly, believe I was trying to corrupt your quote if that makes you feel better. And Scarborough was hotel based cos I was there staying in a nice hotel in 2005 and 2006.

Yes, but the Scarborough weekends don't have the dance spaces at the hotel you stay at so it's not all under the same roof and the hotels on offer are only 3 star, so it's not really the same at all is it...:whistle:

Cruella
19th-February-2010, 03:08 PM
I have been to Swish, Lux and Metropolis! :D . The main difference was, with Metropolis being in the city centre, it meant there were other attractions if you got bored of dancing. (A concept that most of you probably can't grasp :wink:)
There is some sort of weekender on most weekends, so you could look on the positive side and say at least they didn't clash. :grin:

ant
22nd-February-2010, 08:40 AM

What are the rules when a link is made to a review (or anything else for that matter) when the writer of that review etc is also a member of this forum?

Lory
22nd-February-2010, 09:31 AM
What are the rules when a link is made to a review (or anything else for that matter) when the writer of that review etc is also a member of this forum?I'm not 100% clear what you mean Ant but I'll try to answer as best as I can, please forgive if this isn't what you meant...

If a member of this forum, posted a link to an advertisement of an event or organisation they're were involved in, then it wouldn't be allowed, 'unless' it was in a direct answer to a specifically and genuinely asked a question, not one manufactured by a friend, colleague or anyone else connected with the person or event.

Or, if they made a post made on here and it was deleted for whatever reason, then we wouldn't allow a link to be made to it.

If, like in Ken's case (Heirflick on here) someone else posts a link to his review, then its absolutely fine.