PDA

View Full Version : Split screen on Mac

Lory
18th-January-2010, 11:47 AM
I know this is probably a simple thing and I 'think' I've done it before but how the hell do you do it? :confused:

I want to have two applications open side by side on the screen, instead of toggling between, is there a simple shortcut?

Thanks in advance :flower:

foxylady
18th-January-2010, 12:58 PM
F10 or F9, depending what you want to toggle between

I think thats what you need

Foxy

Lory
18th-January-2010, 01:19 PM
F10 or F9, depending what you want to toggle between

I think thats what you need

FoxyI don't want to toggle, I need to be able to see both applications side by side..
I'm sure I've done it before by accident but I just can't remember how :doh:

If I try to make the screen smaller, to fit them next to each other by using the bottom right corner. I loose some of the page:sick:

foxylady
18th-January-2010, 01:32 PM
well F9 does put the screens you have open next to each other but you can't work on them at the same time i.e. when you go to work on one it opens fully...
If you made them smaller you could always zoom out to ensure you saw the whole screen. (just to clarify as I just experimented, you have to change the size before you shrink the sceen, for some reason once the screen is smaller you can't change the size - its a two finger job in SL)

Am unsure what you want to be able to do by having them next to each other : watch two different movie clips alongside one another ? or just monitor two facebook pages ? or ?

What operating system ? leopard or SL

djtrev
18th-January-2010, 01:43 PM
The way that I usually do it is to minimise the image with the middle icon at the op right corner of your screen.Then call up the other page that you want and do the same to that one.I believe you can also make the page evn smaller by hovering your mouse over the corner of the page.

foxylady
18th-January-2010, 01:49 PM
Also on SL there is something called "spaces" which I haven't enabled, but ostensibly you can do the thing you want to with it.

i am sure the apple geeks will come on and shoot me down any moment now, but I had a search around and can't find any other solution to what you want...

Franck
18th-January-2010, 02:13 PM
I use a utility called Cinch (you can get it from this website: http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/cinch/ )

It allows you to drag any window to any side of your screen and it automatically resizes it to fill that half of the screen (or the full screen if you drag it to the top). It goes back to previous size when you drag it away from the side again.
It's pretty nifty.

You can download a trial version, and if you like it, the shareware is only $7 so very affordable...

Lory
18th-January-2010, 03:23 PM
Am unsure what you want to be able to do by having them next to each other
Thanks for trying to help me :hug:
There's lots of times I'd find it useful, one example being, when I want to select and drag photo's into the movie maker, or compare two things side by side, without having to flip back and forwards.

I use a utility called Cinch
I've just D/L it, which was a cinch but sadly, it doesn't work on PS or iMovie but it works great for moving files about :cheers:

Tiggerbabe
18th-January-2010, 05:59 PM
E-mail Mas, Lory, he's bound to have something useful.

Lory
18th-January-2010, 06:26 PM
E-mail Mas, Lory, he's bound to have something useful.

Good thinking! :waycool::cheers:

Lory
18th-January-2010, 06:28 PM
What i'd really like is two screens :grin: but that's just greedy isn't it :blush:

straycat
18th-January-2010, 06:34 PM
What i'd really like is two screens :grin: but that's just greedy isn't it :blush:

No - it's just sensible. Three would be greedy :D

Lory
18th-January-2010, 06:46 PM
No - it's just sensible. Three would be greedy :D
I like you :wink:

Right, for anyone else who might be interested...I've 'sort of' found what I want, although it makes each screen much smaller than I'd really like :sad:

Under system preferences.. Exposé & Spaces, choose Spaces and enable, then you can choose from the +- boxes how many rows/columns you want
:)

rtwwpad
19th-January-2010, 12:31 AM
Two screens. If you're good to yourself make the second a 21" Cintiq. That way editing photos is even easier.

Phil