PDA

View Full Version : What other dances would you like?

Chris
8th-December-2003, 10:32 PM
If Ceroc put on regular classes by teachers in other dance style in addition to Ceroc classes at your regular venue, which (if any) would you try? (multiple answers possible

For instance. there might be a half hour or one hour class before the regular ceroc class, or on a different night at the same venue, or at some other time where a clash was avoided (eg intermediate salsa in a different at the same time as beginners ceroc or vice versa).

Dancers want to expand their styles and knowledge of dance, Ceroc (and other organisers) want to avoid clashes or losing customers to other genres. There could be benefit to everyone by putting some under the same banner. It goes on anyway, just that it could be more effective for eveyone.

But how much interest is there?

The other thing that would be nice to know is just the spread of dances that people on the Forum are interested in.
Ta!

oops - sorry - should have added 'none of them' and the usual obligatory silly options - I'm still cr*p at making polls up!

Gadget
8th-December-2003, 11:56 PM
what's "zydeco"?

ChrisA
9th-December-2003, 12:34 AM
I'd be interested only in partner dances that I could get reasonably good at in one lifetime - which is why I've ruled out Lindy and Salsa as things to try as well as Jive. It's bad enough being a beginner again at WCS.

I'd certainly be worried about a dilution of effort if I got back into ballroom. Though if East Coast Swing really is very similar to Ballroom Jive I'd love to have a crack at that...

ChrisA

Lory
9th-December-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
what's "zydeco"?
I'm not sure it will help but I just found this, cos I didn't have a clue either :what:
zydeco (http://www.bme.jhu.edu/~jrice/cz.html)

Follow the link, online dance instruction

Lory
9th-December-2003, 12:57 AM
I just listened to the music sample from that site, it sounds very much like 'the farmers in his den, the farmers in is den, ee eye ee eye the farmers in his den!

Erm, no thanks! :rofl:

Boomer
9th-December-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
what's "zydeco"?

This might help (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1444)

Chris
9th-December-2003, 01:05 AM
what's "zydeco"?
One of my dance partners, Helen Pythian, dances in London sometimes and some of you might know her - she's a good one to ask (though she doesn't teach it - she will know who does) - and her styling movements (from zydeco) are a fabulous addition to any jive/blues reportoire.

There's a nice article on one of the zydeco sites (http://users.erols.com/ghayman/articles.1998.htm) called 'Zydeco 2-3-4: Learn Hesitations Now!' that gives you an idea of the beautiful subtlety of it.

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

spindr
9th-December-2003, 01:20 AM
Wot no...
Boogie Woogie

Jon L
9th-December-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by spindr
Wot no...
Boogie Woogie

Actually that would be a good one, Nigel and Nina know about that - I have a video on the Stompin in Brighton 2003

Lynn
9th-December-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Chris
For instance. there might be a half hour or one hour class before the regular ceroc class, or on a different night at the same venue, or at some other time where a clash was avoided (eg intermediate salsa in a different at the same time as beginners ceroc or vice versa).

Dancers want to expand their styles and knowledge of dance, Ceroc (and other organisers) want to avoid clashes or losing customers to other genres. There could be benefit to everyone by putting some under the same banner. It goes on anyway, just that it could be more effective for eveyone.
This is what happens here in NI. There was no MJ or ceroc here but there was a dancer willing to start teaching beginner's level. He has linked in with a salsa teacher - and the beginners jive class runs immediately after an existing intermediate salsa class. What this has meant is that there is a lot of dancers doing both. There is even a special reduced rate if you do both classes and they are advertised on the same website. A salsa dance later in the night (at a different venue but run by the same group) also caters for the MJ class with some suitable tracks.

This might only be working because there is no ceroc franchise in NI (yet!?) and it has helped the class to get off the ground by teaming it with an existing salsa class. It has worked the other way also as some of the ones who originally came for the jive class are now starting salsa as well.

The plus side I personally find is that there are some good salsa dancers doing beginner MJ which makes it more fun learning!

ChrisA
9th-December-2003, 01:32 AM
Wot no...
Boogie Woogie
Hasn't there been a series of boogie woogie lessons at Hipsters on a Wednesday in recent weeks?

Chris

Neil
9th-December-2003, 01:42 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Dutch"? Is it clog dancing?

Neil

Chris
9th-December-2003, 02:30 AM
Wot no...
Boogie Woogie

There's a max of 20 options for posting a poll and I had 26 so had to cross some out :sad:

Chris
9th-December-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Dutch"? Is it clog dancing?
Neil

As in Pass That Dutch (Missy Elliott). There was a recent documentary on it - very high energy and highly disciplined new dance style. It looks like - Wow! :yum:

stewart38
9th-December-2003, 10:42 AM
No circle dancing :sad:

Mary
9th-December-2003, 01:17 PM
Yeah. Boogie Woogie. Did the taster class, but couldn't commit to the course. Great fun style of dance with loads of opportunities to play with the music.

Would also love to see WCS take off over here.

M

Bill
9th-December-2003, 02:48 PM
Have tried a bit of Salsa and West Coast Swing - the latter with the lovely Graham and Diane up here. Would love to have carried on the WCS but it was too far to travel regularly.

Have just started Tango and realise just how long this will take compared to Ceroc or other form of jive. Hope to keep it going so I can actually walk 'properly' :rolleyes: :na:

Forte
9th-December-2003, 03:10 PM
I voted for quite a few (once had a wonderful weekend workshop with Graham and Diane of west coast swing) but hey! We are in Scotland. Wot? No ceilidh dancing! I will be stripping the willow and dashing with the white sergeant every night next weeK. Three school dances to go to!!

The only trouble with all that wheeching round though is the bruises on the arms above the elbow!!:grin: It's worth it though!

cali
10th-December-2003, 03:44 AM
I would love the inclusion of other club social dancing like salsa and WCS. The franchises seem a bit strict here though.

I have roped in a couple of dancers to help me and I am thinking of bringing in WCS myself but I am pretty sure some of the franchise owners won't be very encouraging. Based on a few conversations. I don't want to step on anybody's toes ... :sorry:

I think it is great when dancers can do many different styles. I have a great time at the Ceroc dances and plan to continue going, of course! :nice:

Cali

Chris
10th-December-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by cali
I would love the inclusion of other club social dancing like salsa and WCS. The franchises seem a bit strict here though.

I have roped in a couple of dancers to help me and I am thinking of bringing in WCS myself but I am pretty sure some of the franchise owners won't be very encouraging. Based on a few conversations. I don't want to step on anybody's toes ... :sorry:

I think it is great when dancers can do many different styles. I have a great time at the Ceroc dances and plan to continue going, of course! :nice:

Cali

Why not have a chat with Angelique, Ceroc NZ founder, in Auckland? Admittedly it might not be to every franchisee's liking, but I got the idea of the thread from her Studio timetable.
:hug: :kiss:

smartie
12th-December-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Chris
As in Pass That Dutch (Missy Elliott). There was a recent documentary on it - very high energy and highly disciplined new dance style. It looks like - Wow! :yum:

Might be wrong, but I think you'll find the song refers to a joint - as in 'Pass The Dutchie' (Musical Youth)

Chris
12th-December-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by smartie
Might be wrong, but I think you'll find the song refers to a joint - as in 'Pass The Dutchie' (Musical Youth)

" 'Pass That Dutch' (which is not another Musical Youth-quoting track) is deceptively uncomplicated-- it's mostly a manic Diwali sound with the torrid, cinemascope bass that ground about 10 million great garage tracks at the start of the decade" - review by Pitchfork (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/wearetheworld/singles/e/elliottmissy-passthedutch.shtml)

Given her exhortations to dance in the song this seems reasonable. I may have got the name of the dance wrong, but it is associated with that type of track and I think it is called Dutch. Any more info on the dance would be much appreciated. It's a very exciting dance, as is Miss Daisy's music.

smartie
12th-December-2003, 05:49 PM
http://rapdict.org/terms/d
Dutch Master
(n) Dutch Master is a brand of cigars. When rolling a serious blunt, the tobacco is removed from a cigar and replaced with marijuana. [etc.]

Reading the lyrics of Pass that Dutch [http://www.anysonglyrics.com/lyrics/m/missyelliot/pass-the-dutch.htm] it could mean anything!

smartie
12th-December-2003, 06:15 PM
AHA!!

[http://www.habittzinc.com/pages/dj_roffie_future.htm]
MISSY ELLIOT - Pass that Dutch (Elektra)
The vibe of this track reminds me of the skipping rope game of double dutch. The claps & chants in the ghetto playground game are evident in the lay out of this song. A guaranteed dance floor filler from the 1st lady of Club anthems. Whooorreee Whooooo!!!!!

Will
12th-December-2003, 06:49 PM
Your all missing the fact that "Pass the Dutch" is a ground breaking track in the Rap world. It is the first time a rap song has used the word "Rectum".

DangerousCurves
14th-December-2003, 01:55 AM
Hi!

I came to Jive from a Salsa background, and though I love both dance styles, I'm not sure how well they would mix for any one UK promoter - particularly on a single evening.

Many friends from Jive have now tried Salsa - and found basic Salsa very difficult in comparison with basic Jive. (Its not unusual to spend two, three or more first lessons learning the basic Salsa step alone - and graduating to intermediate or advanced is much slower than at Jive. Freestyle as an absolute beginner is very limited, and can be a very humbling/frustrating experience!) A couple did perserve, and are now very good at Salsa too, but most did not stay long, complaining about having "steps" to learn, or missing their usual fluidity and skill on the dance floor at Jive. Many also complained that all Salsa music sounded the same to them!

Some Salsero friends visited Jive, but missed the latino ambiance. They often said that Jive didn't excite them as it reminded them of Meringey, which is played on occasion in Salsa venues (by way of light relief, and generally not as popular as Salsa). Salsa venues also tend to be "clubbier" than some Jive venues - smaller, smoky, with a bar...

Perhaps if you have people learning both dances from scratch at the same time, there is more chance of everybody taking to both - but there is already both a strong Jive scene AND a strong Salsa scene in the uk. I don't realistically see the experienced Salsa Gods and the Salsa Fanatics attending an evening where half the tracks are Jive - or Vice versa. Amongst all the several hundred Jivers and Salseros I know, there are probably less than 10 people who would be enthusiastic about a combined night!

I have also picked up a vibe amongst the Salsa scene that they are aware that Salsa is quite "hot" at the moment, with lots of Latin influences spreading into music, fashion etc - and they kind of resent other disciplines using the "Salsa/Latin" tag to try (as they see it) to steal their rightful thunder. A Jive promoter trying to sell a combined Jive/Salsa experience might meet with a fair bit of scepticism from established Salseros.

At the end of the day, I personally prefer to keep the two quite separate, and don't really see any benefit to me as a dancer in having both styles covered by any single promoter- particularly since I suspect the experienced dancers of each discipline would still stick to "pure" Salsa or Jive nights.

Some pleasures just cannot be combined - like eating IceCream whilst skydiving! :wink:

JamesGeary
14th-December-2003, 03:16 AM
I think you could easily create a market for combined classes.
The same way ballroom originally created a market for about 15 types of dancing. You just teach them all through one organisation or teacher. People can start with one or the other, and most eventually move to doing both.

The only maybe disadvantage you can see with ballroom, their cha looks like their tango looks like their jive. In fact all these dances originally looked totally different but once they start being taught in the ballroom curriculum through a single teacher you get style merge.

Hmmm. Maybe we're already seeing that now, with Amir (tango), Viktor (salsa), N&N (Lindy), Marilene/Simon (WCS/Lindy), Mike/Lynda (ballroom). And the knock-on influence they have on everyone else.

DangerousCurves
14th-December-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
I think you could easily create a market for combined classes.
The same way ballroom originally created a market for about 15 types of dancing.

Hmmm - that's my point really, ballroom didn't do it in the face of a very established, say, foxtrot scene where thousands of dancers already met up every week to foxtrot, with their own foxtrot heroes, national federation, and congresses attracting world class foxtrotters to the UK!

I love both dances, but would hesitate before going to a combined dance, since I think I'd get a better Jive experience at a Jive venue, and a better Salsa experience at a Salsa venue.

frodo
14th-December-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by DangerousCurves
... I love both dances, but would hesitate before going to a combined dance, since I think I'd get a better Jive experience at a Jive venue, and a better Salsa experience at a Salsa venue.

A combined dance, while not the best possible experience, could make efficient use of the limited number of danceable days (for whatever reason) in the week.

It also beats hoping one dance class will finish on time, and another elsewhere will start late (and is generally cheaper).

JamesGeary
14th-December-2003, 09:22 PM
...with their own foxtrot heroes .... congresses attracting world class foxtrotters to the UK!

The pictures, the pictures. My mind is rebelling. Don't make your points so strongly, they hurt my mind.
:rofl:

Still with something like tango, you get a ballroom tango world, and totally seperate to that an Argentinian tango scene. The same with jive. I think, I don't know, but I think in both cases the traditional styles were plenty popular before ballroom took it up. The ballroom types don't try and attract in the Argentinian tango types and they just teach their own variation in parallel. Of course they both look down on each others scenes, which is what you're pointing out.

Yipee for me, I just came 3rd in a salsa competition. Now when some fool salsa dancer ask me what the hell sort of dancing I think I'm doing I can say salsa, and I've got a certificate to prove it!!

Mikey
14th-December-2003, 11:24 PM
[i]Yipee for me, I just came 3rd in a salsa competition. Now when some fool salsa dancer ask me what the hell sort of dancing I think I'm doing I can say salsa, and I've got a certificate to prove it!! [/B]

Congratulations!
:cheers:

If we ever meet at a venue we must compare wiggles to a latin track! :D

DangerousCurves
14th-December-2003, 11:27 PM
HUGE EMBARASSMENT AND APOLOGIES!!!

I'm using Mikey's pc, and sent the last message under his name and not my own!!! :blush:

...Mind you, Mikey's wiggle is even better than mine, so you might want to check that out sometime too! :wink:

Lory
14th-December-2003, 11:39 PM

I'm using Mikey's pc, and sent the last message under his name and not my own!!! :blush:

...Mind you, Mikey's wiggle is even better than mine, so you might want to check that out sometime too! :wink:

Wait till he finds out! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hug:

DavidB
14th-December-2003, 11:40 PM
I'm using Mikey's pc, and sent the last message under his name and not my own!!! Sorry Mikey - we all know you meant to send that last message as a PM, and not to the forum. I never knew you fancied James so much...

JamesGeary
15th-December-2003, 01:32 AM

I thought that sounded unusual!! Bad boy Mikey wanting to compare wiggles! :what:

JamesGeary
15th-December-2003, 01:36 AM
Hey cali. I believe that in Hamilton (New Zealand) the ceroc franchisee teaches both ballroom and ceroc and runs combined events. I have heard that it works pretty well for them. What's that like?

TheTramp
15th-December-2003, 01:43 AM
I'm not Cali.

But for me it felt fairly strange.

Even though Nicole tried to teach me how to waltz.

Could never remember what comes after 2 :tears:

Steve

smartie
15th-December-2003, 08:31 PM
Bit late really, but East Coast Swing and West Coast Swing are about as far apart as the left and right coasts ( :grin: ) and as they seem to be getting a lot of votes it might be nice to know which people are voting for.

RobC
15th-December-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Could never remember what comes after 2 :tears:
3 ?
:devil: :devil: :devil:

TheTramp
16th-December-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by RobC
3 ?
:devil: :devil: :devil: Damn.

That's it.

Thanks very muchly Rob! :hug:

Steve

Jive Brummie
16th-December-2003, 09:38 PM
Haven't read all this thread so apologise if i'm repeating stuff.

I'd really like to have a go at more modern, clubby style jive even hip hop style...'stuff'. But without tracking down Dan the Man, what do i do. There's hip hop classes in edinburgh, but i'm not sure that they're hip hop jive....

Come on then, .......any suggestions??

James...x:cheers:

DavidB
16th-December-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
Come on then, .......any suggestions?? You could try this (http://www.stud.ntnu.no/home/alexann/)

(Thanks to Swing Time (http://www.swingtime.co.uk/Swing/Swing.html) for the link.)

David

Jive Brummie
17th-December-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
You could try this (http://www.stud.ntnu.no/home/alexann/)

(Thanks to Swing Time (http://www.swingtime.co.uk/Swing/Swing.html) for the link.)

David

Thanks for the link David. It's definatley given me something to work on...... don't think you can get purple fake tan though can you..........????:confused:

cali
19th-December-2003, 12:32 AM
I'm a bit worried about where Ceroc is going. They do two days of Ceroc and then a day of ballroom and latin. The social dances play 1 non-ceroc song out of every 4 songs. A lot of the dancers at Ceroc dance ballroom or latin at other venues too so I think it is nice to break it up and not play Ceroc from beginning to finish.

They have decided to make some more changes for next year though and it is a bit of a concern. They intend to add a fourth night for medals in ballroom/latin. And because dancers were really having a hard time making it to 6PM classes they're dropping them! So now there are two additional nights of Ballroom/Latin and they are running shorter Ceroc nights. I have no idea how they are going to run all of the Ceroc classes now unless they only run each level once a week.

We'll see how it turns out I suppose!

Will
19th-December-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
Yipee for me, I just came 3rd in a salsa competition.
There seems to be alot of Kiwi's coming 3rd in things lately... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (think about it!)

Brady
19th-December-2003, 12:14 PM

I'd really like to have a go at more modern, clubby style jive even hip hop style...'stuff'. But without tracking down Dan the Man, what do i do. There's hip hop classes in edinburgh, but i'm not sure that they're hip hop jive....

James,

Ideally you'd want to track down Dan & Sue at some weekender (Beach Boogie 2004); have done a couple of their classes and they're great with the club/hip hop style. Also up and coming are Adam & Tas. They did a great showcase routine at the BritRoc comp. this year with some very original material.

In the meantime, you should try to get to a hip hop type class, even if it isn't partner dancing and take some ideas to incorporate into your MJ. If you're really keen, there are a few different classes here in Glasgow. Have been going to one and it's quite good.

Brady

RobC
19th-December-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Brady
Also up and coming are Adam & Tas. They did a great showcase routine at the BritRoc comp. this year with some very original material.
Adam and Tas will be teaching a regular Jive Fusion class in Fleet starting tuesday 23rd March. :wink:

Jive Brummie
19th-December-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Brady
James,

Ideally you'd want to track down Dan & Sue at some weekender (Beach Boogie 2004); have done a couple of their classes and they're great with the club/hip hop style. Also up and coming are Adam & Tas. They did a great showcase routine at the BritRoc comp. this year with some very original material.

In the meantime, you should try to get to a hip hop type class, even if it isn't partner dancing and take some ideas to incorporate into your MJ. If you're really keen, there are a few different classes here in Glasgow. Have been going to one and it's quite good.

Brady

Cheers Brady,
had heard of a few classes in Glasgow but was trying to find something a bit nearer as work commitments etc tend to rule out travelling any distance.

Thanks anyway mate....

James:cheers:

p.s has anyone got any vid's of dan & sue?? If so where can i get one from... would love to see them strut their stuff..

RobC
19th-December-2003, 05:54 PM
p.s has anyone got any vid's of dan & sue?? If so where can i get one from... would love to see them strut their stuff..
Their class from MJC7 is in the MJC7 video. Contact simon@jivebug.co.uk if you want one.

Rob

Jive Brummie
20th-December-2003, 03:04 PM
Their class from MJC7 is in the MJC7 video. Contact simon@jivebug.co.uk if you want one.

Rob

Cheers rob. Besides there bit on the vid, is it worth forking out for...??? I'm guessing there's no videos specific to hip hop style modern jive then.......anyone....anyone ...???

Graham W
20th-December-2003, 04:09 PM
..blues joint top at the halfway stage...

DJs take note,pls

G

RobC
21st-December-2003, 10:25 AM
Cheers rob. Besides there bit on the vid, is it worth forking out for...???
From a totally biased opinion (I produced the MJC7 video this year :wink: ) I would have to say yes, however if you didn't actually attend MJC this year and only want some video of hip-hop style dancing, then that's a tougher call. I know there are a number of people on this forum who have bought it - why don't you canvass their opinions.

Rob.

Jive Brummie
21st-December-2003, 04:01 PM
From a totally biased opinion (I produced the MJC7 video this year :wink: ) I would have to say yes, however if you didn't actually attend MJC this year and only want some video of hip-hop style dancing, then that's a tougher call. I know there are a number of people on this forum who have bought it - why don't you canvass their opinions.

Rob.

........nice one Rob:cheers: :cheers:

JamesGeary
23rd-December-2003, 01:47 PM

The best I've ever seen, is a couple called Laith and Candice, who teach and perform both salsa and hip-hop. You can find where they are teaching on the internet. It is usually in London, but they teach at almost all the salsa congresseses also. I know one place they teach both salsa and hip-hop is at the dance attic in Fulham London.

Alternatively you could get the details for and order one of the salsa congress videos (seach on the internet to find them), most of which will have them performing a cabaret. You can enquire if they are on it before you order it.

In fact I think salsa is a little similar to hip-hop, music wise and movement wise. Salsa might be what you're looking for. Just an idea.

Lindsay
24th-December-2003, 01:05 PM
Hip hop jive? Never seen that.... Sounds cool!

Tried HH Lindy with Andy & Rena, and it was knackering, but great

:grin:

fruitcake
10th-January-2004, 02:43 PM
:confused:
Oh dear, I have to confess I know hardly any of them and cos I'm actually at work(naughty me:devil: ) don't have time to look them all up!
I know ballroom(lurv it!)tango(fromthe film "True Lies" with ma big Arnie),dirty dancing(from the film Dirty Dancing(!) and Ceroc, have I led a sheltered life or what?
But as I am still an early learner at intermediate, i would need to get the hang of that first, before Ii progress to something else, but it would be good for the more advanced people!!:wink:
Fruitcake

CJ
10th-January-2004, 02:51 PM
I'd like to learn to headbang properly whilst playing guitar, but couldn't find that option in poll.

Any one know of classes?

fruitcake
10th-January-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
I'd like to learn to headbang properly whilst playing guitar, but couldn't find that option in poll.

Any one know of classes?

Oh YOu lucky thing, Ceroc Jock, I, yes me, used to be a headbanger extra-ordinaire(because of my long , shaggy permed hair), as was noticeable by my unrelenting performance on the front row of theBlack Sabbath performance in Aberdeen in 190...whatever!
It is, of course a kinda teach yourself, so you have to get the hair,(or wig)or pretend you have the hair or wig, and lt yourself go man,
Oh the memories........................

fruitcake
10th-January-2004, 03:48 PM
PS, I had a little difficulty with "Lets do the timewarp agaaaaain" at Chigago Rock last night,perhaps we could include those sort of things, i havent a clue how to do the birdie song, these things are ESSENTIAL for weddings and such like:devil:
Fruitcvake

Lynn
10th-January-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by fruitcake
PS, I had a little difficulty with "Lets do the timewarp agaaaaain" at Chigago Rock last night,perhaps we could include those sort of things, i havent a clue how to do the birdie song, these things are ESSENTIAL for weddings and such like:devil:
Fruitcvake

The Birdie song brings back memories of being dragged up at a party (literally dragged with my feet sliding along the floor) as soon as the guy released my hands to start doing the actions I scurried back to my seat! (Possibly the only time I have done that!:what: )

The salsa-MJ overlap here seems to be continuing with some from the MJ class starting salsa and some from my salsa class starting MJ.

Yogi_Bear
14th-February-2005, 11:36 PM
:confused:
Oh dear, I have to confess I know hardly any of them and cos I'm actually at work(naughty me:devil: ) don't have time to look them all up!
I know ballroom(lurv it!)tango(fromthe film "True Lies" with ma big Arnie),dirty dancing(from the film Dirty Dancing(!) and Ceroc, have I led a sheltered life or what?
But as I am still an early learner at intermediate, i would need to get the hang of that first, before Ii progress to something else, but it would be good for the more advanced people!!:wink:
FruitcakeArnie's tango near the beginning of the film True Lies was remarkably effective, I thought, coming from him. But bear in mind, this was ballroom tango, not the Argentinian kind - it bears little resemblance. Which reminds me, in an earlyish episode of Frasier (Moon Dance) Niles and Daphne danced quite an effective ballroom tango....

Lynn
15th-February-2005, 11:59 AM
Interestingly - looking back when I voted on this poll I only picked salsa - which I don't dance, despite there being classes on locally almost every night of the week (reasons I don't dance salsa are more to do with the venues to actually dance it, than the dance itself). Haven't sampled all the dances in the list, but some that I have had a couple of lessons on and really enjoyed - WCS, Blues, Arg Tango... sadly not much happening in lessons on these in NI but I would love to learn more, of these dances and others on the list.

Interesting to see how my dance taste has progressed.

Yogi_Bear
15th-February-2005, 12:08 PM
.....I have had a couple of lessons on and really enjoyed - WCS, Blues, Arg Tango... sadly not much happening in lessons on these in NI but I would love to learn more, of these dances and others on the list.

My favourites also....must have a dance sometime soon!... :waycool:
yb

drathzel
16th-February-2005, 11:38 AM
Interestingly - looking back when I voted on this poll I only picked salsa - which I don't dance, despite there being classes on locally almost every night of the week (reasons I don't dance salsa are more to do with the venues to actually dance it, than the dance itself). Haven't sampled all the dances in the list, but some that I have had a couple of lessons on and really enjoyed - WCS, Blues, Arg Tango... sadly not much happening in lessons on these in NI but I would love to learn more, of these dances and others on the list.

I'll dance anything.... just show me and dance floor then try and stop me!! :hug: :clap:

CJ
16th-February-2005, 03:03 PM
Maybe I'm blind, but I can find neither moshing OR synchronised headbanging!!! :tears:

:D

drathzel
17th-February-2005, 12:52 AM
Is that dancing? i thought it was a high risk sporting type thing :what: :confused: :whistle:

Liz
17th-February-2005, 01:38 PM
My favourites also....must have a dance sometime soon!... :waycool:
yb
Hi there! Don't know if you know but Jive Addiction are running a series of WCS workshops in Nottingham in February look here (http://jiveaddiction.com/mambo/content/view/43//) to see dates and venue. I had one beginners lesson and absolutely loved it! To learn how to do it is now my mission! It looks great, so smooth and sassy!