PDA

View Full Version : New Year's DAY Party!!

Lindsay
8th-December-2003, 06:36 PM
JIVE ACES are playing live in Edinburgh
1st January 2004
Waikiki Beach Bar, Fountainpark, Edinburgh (used to be Brannigans)
Great dance floor, ample parking & licensed bar.
Fab music during the breaks by our very own Dance Demon
Book online here (http://www.boogienights.net) Tickets selling fast....

Daphne
8th-December-2003, 10:41 PM
Nice one! Hogmany is always a disaster so the thought of this will get me through :D

Bill
9th-December-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Daphne
Nice one! Hogmany is always a disaster so the thought of this will get me through :D

And is your avatar indicating the outfit you'll be wearing for the event ????????????? :D

Sounds like fun. Might make it back from Stockport in time !!

Daphne
9th-December-2003, 07:45 PM
Yes, but I might ditch the G-string

Bill
10th-December-2003, 10:21 AM
Yes, but I might ditch the G-string

goodness..........won't that be a tad on the chilly side??? Have to do lots of bluesy moves to keep warm but don't think that's the kind of thing the Jive Aces play :D :wink:

Ah well, at least you'll be easy to spot :na:

Gbear
10th-December-2003, 11:02 AM
Is this a private event or are we going to be providing the entertainment for a pile of drunken teenagers to laugh at.

Not sure I fancy that much

Gbear

Gbear
10th-December-2003, 12:21 PM
Just checked. it out. It is only a provisional booking just now and it will be open to the public. Looks like we are the entertainment.

However on the plus side I quite like the description on the Web. Ladies can we expect similar attire. Might be worth the hangover pain afterall.
There are two Waikiki Beaches in this world one of them is a big strip of sun-kissed sand in Honolulu, Hawaii, and the other's near Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.

Spot the difference, anyone? Well, for starters, the women probably wear a lot less in Edinburgh.

Taking over the premises from the not-entirely-missed Brannigan's, the Waikiki Beach Bar seems to have given a home to all its predecessor's punters.

Most folk in are in the short skirts and smart shirts crowd, and you can tell the only thing on their mind (aside from a bit of a drink) is how quickly they can get to know one another.

This, of course, is the sort of behaviour Waikiki encourages.

For example, as part of their all-encompassing summer party theme, all the bar staff are kitted out in beachwear.

This doesn't mean barmaids in bikinis, as some of the more excitable lads may have been hoping, but shorts and Hawaiian shirts.

The girls that greet you as you walk in are in bikini tops, though, and you can only hope they brought a change of clothes the nights are fair drawing in and it's gettin' awfy chilly out, as their grans might remind them. :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Lindsay
10th-December-2003, 01:37 PM
It is a confirmed booking in writing, so I'm not sure who you spoke to:confused: I called again today after your post, and it's all OK!

We have booked the whole bar: going by ticket sales there will not be too much extra space for spectators, and anyway I really doubt teenagers will pay the door entry price! And anyway- be proud!
:wink:

Dance Demon
10th-December-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Have to do lots of bluesy moves to keep warm but don't think that's the kind of thing the Jive Aces play :D :wink:

Nope...but I could quite easily be talked into playing one or two for you Bill... :wink: :D

Bill
10th-December-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Nope...but I could quite easily be talked into playing one or two for you Bill... :wink: :D

You are such a gent :wink: Better get myself organised then. Will my legs stand a whole night of music at that speed :sick: :na:

Daphne
10th-December-2003, 09:03 PM
Forget your legs-what about my bikini? :blush:

Gbear
11th-December-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Lindsay
I really doubt teenagers will pay the door entry price! And anyway- be proud!
:wink:

Be proud! as you know all to well most other women in Scotland dance in your shadow me I dance in other peoples shadow.

As regards non-cerocers paying the entry price? Hello have you seen how much it costs to get into a night club. They pay for that. Not that it matters really since it is open to the public you can just turn up on the night see what it looks like and pay your money if you like the look of it. Lets face it there is far more drinking space than dance space so getting in is not going to be a problem. I will probably see how I feel on the night who knows I might not be so well.

Ta

Gbear

Daphne
11th-December-2003, 07:37 PM
You seem like you have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder Gbear :wink: Have you had a horrible experience dancing infront of the public by any chance:confused:

Dance Demon
11th-December-2003, 08:12 PM
Hmmm you could be right Daphne......a chip about something....all 6 of Gbears posts have been about Boogienights events....:confused:

Gbear
12th-December-2003, 10:44 AM
Hmmm you could be right Daphne......a chip about something....all 6 of Gbears posts have been about Boogienights events....:confused:

Factually incorrect:D

Actually my first post was about track played in a ceroc night so I would wind down on the conspiry theory I think there is another thread for that. However you maybe right about the dancing in public thing.

I am only warming up to this, quite fun really, there has not been that much on about ceroc nights though I have read the thread on ceroc policy took me most of the day

However if you are looking for some balance I ain’t keen on having to go to ceroc nights in fancy dress suspect I won’t so you will be able to spot me then. I do not come through to Edinburgh much mainly Glasgow but I think I know who you are so I will present myself for inspection next time I see you.

Sound like a bit of a bah humbug. I am not really sorry if I have caused offence. If I don't make it for the New Year party have a good one

Gbear

Scot
12th-December-2003, 12:47 PM
The fancy dress is optional and we usually only do it once a year. Some people like it some do not. If you are coming to either the Dundee or the Edinburgh party I would encourge you to give it go.
all 6 of Gbears posts have been about Boogienights events....:confused: There is trend on this forum to believe that if you comment anything less than positive on an Independant you are a plant, though I am not sure you have. If you do likewise with Ceroc you are a freedom fighter. It would apear to be the flavour of the month dont let it put you off.

Though Mr Demon is right in one respect this post/event would not have nearly as much prominence if not for your contributions.
Hmmm you could be right Daphne...... I am only joking.....

Hope you can make both parties. I think Mr Demon is going to Dundee so he could eh "inspect" you then if that is what you want.

Eva
12th-December-2003, 01:43 PM
You seem like you have a bit of a chip on the old shoulder Gbear :wink: Have you had a horrible experience dancing infront of the public by any chance:confused:

It sounds as though someone has had a bad experience , anytime I have danced in a non Ceroc environment others watching have only shown interest and had positive things to say about the dancing . It's a shame if someone has experienced a less positive outcome. I would like to congratulate Lindsay for taking the time to organise these events in particular the Amir workshops I think what Boogienights do enhances the dance scene in Scotland not detract from it. Well done Lindsay:):D

michael
13th-December-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Gbear
Factually incorrect:D
However if you are looking for some balance I ain’t keen on having to go to ceroc nights in fancy dress suspect I won’t so you will be able to spot me then. I do not come through to Edinburgh much mainly Glasgow but I think I know who you are so I will present myself for inspection next time I see you.

Sound like a bit of a bah humbug. I am not really sorry if I have caused offence. If I don't make it for the New Year party have a good one

Gbear

Well why dont you go through to Edinburgh!!! Glasgow does not have any ceroc or Leroc on a Thursday and the best night of the week is at Marco's (IMHO) on a Thursday. You can get to meet DD there, but i doubt he will inspect you?

Might have to change that "Best Night of the week status" when Jumping Jaks gets underway (16th Dec Dance Party)

I enjoy all MJ dance event organisers Ceroc, Leroc and Boogienights. Didn't mention Route 66 cause next Saturday will be my first time at an R66 event. Heard DD doing his DJ at other events so i know i will enjoy:D

Provided and it is a big "PROVIDED" that organisers do not try to compete with each other by having dance nights on the same night, then for me and many others it is a massive bonus.

Looking forward to Amir Workshop in February and if time available i might just end up at the New Years Party in Edinburgh.

One thing rarely discussed but so true is the fact that when you go out to the pubs/night club scene you invariably have a lager or something stronger. This puts paid to taking your car and you then have taxis, hassle, not to mention extra (wasteful) expense.
Dancing for me means water or soft drinks, great fun, excitement and you can drive all the time with no worries. Edinburgh is less than an hours drive away and the expense of the dance night/class plus drinks is LESS (for me) than the taxi fare just to get into the town never mind return. Oh...your healthier for it too
:cheers:

Dance Demon
13th-December-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Scot
There is trend on this forum to believe that if you comment anything less than positive on an Independant you are a plant,

Not very knowledgable about things botanical, but my son is doing a degree in ecology & forestry at Edinburgh uni, so I'll run it past him:wink: .....but Gbear doesn't appear to be a shrinking violet, and despite his/her claim to dance in other peoples shadow, i would suspect not a wallflower either:D ....
Although I co- run an independant night, I would never consider myself to be anti Ceroc.......Mrs Demon & me attend at least two Ceroc nights a week in Edinburgh, not to mention our occasional visits to Glasgow, Dundee & Aberdeen, but that's the way we choose to spend our hard earned money. Dancing in public can draw silly comments from the odd moron, but as Eva has said, it mainly draws impressed attention from most people. There were a large number of jivers at our recent silver wedding anniversary party, and several guests were impressed enough to inquire where they could learn to do this kind of dancing. We have furnished them all with the days and times for all the CEROC classes in Edinburgh.
Anyway, enough of all this.........I'm looking forward to the DJing at the Jive Aces bash and I'm sure it will be as much fun as all the other festive parties....regardless of who the organisers are:waycool:

Daphne
13th-December-2003, 01:54 PM
:cheers: hear hear! the more variety on offer the better :grin:

mry xmas & appy nu yr 2 all :hug: