PDA

View Full Version : New Year

Pammy
8th-December-2003, 11:12 AM
Where are the "Lundan" lot going for New Year then?

Pamster.
x

Lounge Lizard
8th-December-2003, 06:17 PM
I will be DJ'ing for Ceroc Fleet on NYE not to far from the centre of the dance universe
peter

Mary
8th-December-2003, 08:37 PM
Can't decide between Jivetime (Ealing) which is closer for us, or Fleet because I gather it was very good last year. Ealing last year was just too overcrowded - we left after I was smacked around the head for the 3rd time - and I hate Asti Spumante!! (OK so I don't have to drink it)

Wot's everone else doing and can we tag along?:na:

M

ChrisA
8th-December-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Mary
Can't decide between Jivetime (Ealing) which is closer for us, or Fleet because I gather it was very good last year. Ealing last year was just too overcrowded
Can't decide either... but Franco says he's selling only 250 tickets instead of 300 this year at Ealing.

Tricky one.

Chris

Tiggerbabe
8th-December-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
I will be DJ'ing for Ceroc Fleet on NYE not too far from the centre of the dance universe
peter
Away you go! It's miles from Dundee :D :hug:

Lounge Lizard
9th-December-2003, 12:53 AM
Jive Time NYE has John Miller and Roger Chinn as DJ's
Fleet has me
but Fleet also has Glen, who has been/will be touring with Kylie [not sure if he is bringing her tho]
peter

Tazmanian Devil
9th-December-2003, 01:05 AM
I cant make up my mind where to go. A few friends have said Ealings going to be good but Bromley is alot closer to my home. :confused:

Rachel
9th-December-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
I cant make up my mind where to go. A few friends have said Ealings going to be good but Bromley is alot closer to my home. :confused: Me too for Undecided ...

Ealing would normally be top of my list, but it is expensive. I'm very tempted by Bromley - never actually been there, but Marc always raves on about it. Anyone else recommend Bromley?

And now LL has added further confusion by letting us know how good the music will be at Fleet. But we went there last year....
Rachel

Pammy
9th-December-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
Me too for Undecided ...

Ealing would normally be top of my list, but it is expensive.

How much is Fleet? I've heard Ealing is £30, which I feel is expensive too.

ChrisA
9th-December-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
I've heard Ealing is £30, which I feel is expensive too.
It's expensive, but if Franco's solved the overcrowding problem (apparently only 250 tickets instead of 300 last year), it's not extortionate. It's free food and drink all night - and the buffet was truly awesome, very high quality, the best I've seen at anything like that.

Having said that, still undecided...

Mary
9th-December-2003, 12:01 PM
Agree with ChrisA that Franco's buffet last year was superb - loads of fresh fruit all beautifully presented - great for flagging dancers. Unfortunately the included beer and wine ran out just as we arrived there, so you might be safer bringing your own as a back up (especially if you are fussy about your wine).

However, LL's DJ ing is also a temptation.

What to do, what to do. And time is running out!:confused:

M

ChrisA
9th-December-2003, 12:07 PM
What to do, what to do. And time is running out!:confused:

Safest is probably to get Ealing tickets - doesn't Franco offer a refund right up to the last day or two?

Chris

Rachel
9th-December-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
It's expensive, but if Franco's solved the overcrowding problem (apparently only 250 tickets instead of 300 last year), it's not extortionate. It's free food and drink all night - and the buffet was truly awesome, very high quality, the best I've seen at anything like that.

Having said that, still undecided... Oh I've absolutely no doubt Ealing would be value for money. But am I the only person who would generally prefer no free drinks or food, if it meant that ticket prices could be lower?

On limited funds, it's quite hard managing to get out to your favourite places 6 nights a week - particularly if you're using 1/4 tank of petrol each time.

And the food thing I've never understood - I mean, eating and dancing, well, they just don't mix, do they? Food before you go out - yes, and food after - definitely, but food during the evening???

Anyway, buffets - after all we've read on this forum about people not washing their hands in the toilets (a very pet hate of mine)!!! And, guys, you wouldn't believce how many women do this, too. Unbelievable!

Ooops, sorry, looks like I'm having such a moan here. But I don't mean to sound grumpy. All I mean is that, if I had a choice, I'd rather get in cheaper and forgo the freebies.
Rachel

Pammy
9th-December-2003, 01:03 PM
Anyway, buffets - after all we've read on this forum about people not washing their hands in the toilets (a very pet hate of mine)!!! And, guys, you wouldn't believce how many women do this, too. Unbelievable!

This crossed my mind at the weekend :tears:

I agree, not buffet, no drinks and cheaper tickets :cheers:

TheTramp
9th-December-2003, 01:05 PM
Well. I was at Ealing last year. And by the time I dragged myself away from the dancing for long enough to get some food (low blood sugar levels), it was mostly all gone :tears:

So, I guess that some people enjoy eating and dancing!!

Steve

ChrisA
9th-December-2003, 01:10 PM
And the food thing I've never understood - I mean, eating and dancing, well, they just don't mix, do they? Food before you go out - yes, and food after - definitely, but food during the evening???

Tactic last year was to hit the buffet right at the beginning, before all the yucky people have time to paw it about.

Dance just a little bit afterwards.. and then later on, the floor thins out, leaving mostly the keener ones.

Chris

PS the women too... ?????? aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh :tears: :tears: :tears:

PPS Rachel, if you want to guarantee that none of the guys you dance with are in that category, just dance only with me :waycool:

Lounge Lizard
10th-December-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi, details for Fleet below, PM me if you are interested
PLUS
Dont forget the Xmas party on Thursday 18th, if you are not sure about NYE, or have never been to Fleet why no come along Plus this could be when the official CEROC announcement is made.

Venue
The Harlington Centre
Fleet Road
FLEET
Hampshire
NYE details
8.15 p.m. to 01.30 a.m.
DJ is me,
Admission: [£15 up to 30th November - bit late for this offer] £17.50 thereafter, £20 on the door
Includes: Free sparkling wine on arrival, and coffees, teas and cakes at close

peter

Mary
11th-December-2003, 01:32 PM
Still no further forward on where to go NYE. Checked the Jive Bug website, and their tickets are currently seventeen pounds 50, against thirty pounds for Jivetime. I imagine there is no buffet, but there is a glass of fizz as you arrive - pretty civilized I think.

Any more thoughts peeps?

M

Will
11th-December-2003, 02:10 PM

Pamster.
x I'm getting an early night.

Will.

P.S. Bah humbug.

Mikey
11th-December-2003, 02:19 PM
Venue
The Harlington Centre
Fleet Road
FLEET
Hampshire
NYE details
8.15 p.m. to 01.30 a.m.
DJ is me,
Admission: [£15 up to 30th November - bit late for this offer] £17.50 thereafter, £20 on the door
Includes: Free sparkling wine on arrival, and coffees, teas and cakes at closeRIGHT>>> I'm decided... I love Ealing, but the idea of 250 attempting to dance with fruits:rofl: is just too much.. and now I know that Fleet is much bigger, and I do perfer LL Music overall... SO>>> I am going to book Fleet for new years eve.. Now you all need to make your minds up..:cheers:

I'm with you Pete:waycool:

Bardsey
11th-December-2003, 03:19 PM
after all we've read on this forum about people not washing their hands in the toilets (a very pet hate of mine)!!! And, guys, you wouldn't believce how many women do this, too. Unbelievable!

Rachel

Oooops I must be one of those women then, cos I tend to wash my hands in the washbasin, not the toilet :rofl:

Sorry Rachel, couldn't resist it :blush:

Forte
11th-December-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
Oooops I must be one of those women then, cos I tend to wash my hands in the washbasin, not the toilet :rofl:

:blush:

:rofl:

Pammy
11th-December-2003, 03:32 PM
Any more thoughts peeps?

Currently I'm swaying towards Ealing, but it's not decided until I know where the masses are heading :grin:

Pamster
x

Rachel
11th-December-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey

Sorry Rachel, couldn't resist it :blush: Do you know - once I'd posted and re-read it, that was how I interpreted it too! (Marc's sense of humour has definitely rubbed off on me ....) I was just too lazy to go back and edit the post.
R.

ChrisA
11th-December-2003, 03:44 PM
Currently I'm swaying towards Ealing,

Which way are you facing? Maybe you have something heavy in one hand...:D :D

Bardsey
11th-December-2003, 03:47 PM
Do you know - once I'd posted and re-read it, that was how I interpreted it too! (Marc's sense of humour has definitely rubbed off on me ....) I was just too lazy to go back and edit the post.
R.

I'm glad you didn't, it gave me my first giggle of the day!

Lounge Lizard
11th-December-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi
if there is a group booking (soon) I may be able to get Simon to do a deal for forum members.
pm me anyone interested
pp

Mikey
11th-December-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi
if there is a group booking (soon) I may be able to get Simon to do a deal for forum members.
pm me anyone interested
pp

Group booking for what Pete ?:confused:

Paul F
11th-December-2003, 08:52 PM
Which way are you facing? Maybe you have something heavy in one hand...:D :D

:rofl: :rofl:

i like that!

Minnie M
12th-December-2003, 01:05 AM
As far as I know this is what I have posted on my list - PLEASE let me know if there are any more (anywhere - not necessarily in the south) :-

BROMLEY……………….The Gt.Hall, Civic Centre, Stockwell Close class x Gordon & Sally-Ceroc -20 8466 5030-£12 adv

BOURNMOUTH…….Masked Ball, Carrington House Hotel, 8pm - 1.30am -Red Hot Rhythm-07791 044906-£22 adv

BRAMSHAW………….Bramshaw Village Hall, New Forest DJ: Jason Coupland-Jive Krazy-07703534470-£12 /10

CHESHUNT……………Wolsey Hall, Windmill Lane, Cheshunt-Just Jivin’-01992 627598-£15

FLEET…………………….The Harlington Centre, Fleet Rd 8:15 to 1am– DJ: Peter Phillips-Jive Bug-07775 704 143 - £17.50 adv

GUILDFORD………….Masked Ball The Guildford Civic. Free buffet. 8pm-1am-Rebel Roc-01342 717172 - £16 adv

LONDON………………..Franco’s Annual Jive Ball, Ealing Town Hall till 1:30am-JiveTime-020 8861 2491 - £30 adv

NEWBURY……………..Liberty Ballrooms, New Greenham Common -Ginger Jive-01635 877 253- £16 adv

PORTSMOUTH……..Admiral Lord Nelson- Music x Andy Kale + Cabaret 9 till 1:15am-Love2dance-01243 576 696

I am going to Fleet as I really enjoyed it last year

Lounge Lizard
12th-December-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
Group booking for what Pete ?:confused: If enough forum members are interested in Fleet NYE party I may be able to get a discount if all booked together (and soon).
peter

Emma
13th-December-2003, 03:04 PM
I wish there were something in Scotland, I'd be seriously tempted.... As it is, Bromley 15 mins down the road (at £12) is very attractive. Ealing and Fleet are just so *far* for me and gawd knows how I'd ever get home.

Tazmanian Devil
13th-December-2003, 07:13 PM
Got my ticket yesterday I will be at Bromley It's the easiest for me to travel to and fro from!! See you there EM :kiss: :hug:

Jon
14th-December-2003, 11:46 AM
Anyone else recommend Bromley?

I'd second Bromley, went there last year and had a great night.

Rachel
15th-December-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Jon
I'd second Bromley, went there last year and had a great night. Oh, we actually made our decision at the weekend and chose Fleet. We knew it would be a brilliant night there.

I had been considering Bromley because I know Marc loves that place. But he tells me it's a two hour drive to get there, and neither of us wanted to be the one driving home on NYE!

Isn't there a Bromley freestyle on 20th Dec? If so, I'd love to come to that!
R.

Pammy
15th-December-2003, 12:49 PM
Forumite Check: Who's booked tickets for Ealing?

Pamkinsx

MaxBeat
15th-December-2003, 03:41 PM
Interesting debates, as usual. I did not think that it was right for me (MaxBeat=Franco) to intervene, however, given that a number of things have been said about Fleet by Lounge Lizard and other comments need answering from other sources, than, I will post the facts:

1. Historically JiveTime has organised the largest and longest running New Year's Eve Jive Ball in UK. This event, just like JiveTime's first Halloween event and first Jive Weekends, gets now copied left right and centre. If someone copy, it means that the original idea must be good.....and our events are good as I will not allow anything else to take place in order to remain No1.

2. Contrary to what has been said, last year we did not run out of beer or wine. However, we do have an alcool licence (unlike other unlicenced operators) which allow us to sell (or give alcool for free) up to 23.00 hours. Beyond that time I can not hand out alcool or I will infringe the law. The Spumante at midnight does not count, as in order not to infringe the law I always place that in advance on the tables at the start of the evening. Stopping alcool at 23.00 hours is always precedeed by several announcements from the DJ. Everyone is welcome to collect what they need before 23.00 and my staff is under instruction to give freely.

3. The event has almost always sold 300 tickets. After last year's event priced at £ 25, I was contacted by a group of dancers who suggested to reduce numbers to 250 in return for a higher ticket price. Financially 300 x £ 25 or 250 x £ 30 = the same £ 7,500.

4. Anyone who has been at the event before can confirm that we do not cheapskate in terms of bar provisions, food, table toppings and venue set up. We simply aim to provide the best on a very special night of the year and so we spend abundantly, including on the venue hire fee, which on a night like that is astronomical especially because we book the venue up to the maximum venue's operating licence of 1.30 am.

5. To spend £ 30 on such a special night might be still a lot of money for some people, so I am sorry if the event is not within everyone's financial reach. However, I am not prepared to reduce the quality of what we do, as that will bring the event to the same level presented by newcomers. We have a reputation to maintain and on top of that our sister company, Hipsters, would feel the repercussions of any bad performance that we might display on New Year's Eve.

6. To all who think that it is cheaper and better to attend a similar event for £ 15/ £ 20 (please note that I am generalising and not referring to any particular competitor) in return for balloons, party poppers and peanuts, then please concentrate on the fact that at JiveTime you will get quality food and drinks on such a special night for just a little bit extra, which at another event you might well just spend when you buy drinks for yourself and friends at the bar.

7. Food and dance mix, when what is on offer is a selection of good food. Obviously if one binges it is than more difficult to dance.

8. I can not comment about people washing hands, other than to say that we provide spoons. All food is home prepared by Rebecca (who incidentally own JiveTime, not me). If one is concerned about the spoon handles being touched by dirty hands, then please bear in mind that you are likely to touch the same hands when you dance with people.

9. In conclusion, from past experienec I can tell you that from this week we are bound to receive heavier requests for tickets. There are some 80 tickets left and 50 less than last year, as I can confirm that I will not go over 250 tickets. On top of everything else, we give full refunds for cancellations made no later than 24 hours from the event, something that no other organiser is willing to copy in any hurry. Obviously it is easy to copy an event, not the same to provide all the services and quality that we provide!

All in all, there is only one such time of the year. We aim to provide the best event on New Year's Eve, if that is what you are looking for, than your money will be well invested at Ealing.

JiveTime, 97 Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, HA1 2SA, MIddx.

MaxBeat

Lounge Lizard
16th-December-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi
Franco, great to see you on the forum
peter

Lory
16th-December-2003, 10:58 AM

Pamster.
x

I'm going on holiday today and won't be back till the 1st and during NYE I'll be somewhere Mid Atlantic, flying home, so can I take this oportunity to wish u all a

Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Love and best wishes from Lorraine X
:cheers: :hug: :cheers:

Pammy
16th-December-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Lory
I'm going on holiday today and won't be back till the 1st and during NYE I'll be somewhere Mid Atlantic

Well you have a wonderful holiday my dear and I hope to see you very soon!

Pammy x :hug:

Mikey
16th-December-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi
peter

Tottally agree.. great to see you on here franco...:cheers:

Will
16th-December-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MaxBeat

2. Contrary to what has been said, last year we did not run out of beer or wine.Sounds like a challenge :wink:

4. Anyone who has been at the event before can confirm that we do not cheapskate in terms of bar provisions, food, table toppings and venue set up. That's why we all love Franco! :kiss:

5. To spend £ 30 on such a special night might be still a lot of money for some people, so I am sorry if the event is not within everyone's financial reach. Good point, I doubt you'll see anyone connected with Leeds Utd there!

7. Food and dance mix, when what is on offer is a selection of good food. Obviously if one binges it is than more difficult to dance.Luckily, we have guys like Mr Tramp to disprove this point! :wink:

9. In conclusion, from past experience I can tell you that from this week we are bound to receive heavier requests for tickets.Let's be careful hear. Chris has already fallen foul of bringing up weight related issues recently.

All in all, there is only one such time of the year. We aim to provide the best event on New Year's Eve, if that is what you are looking for, than your money will be well invested at Ealing.Here Here :cheers:

TheTramp
16th-December-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Will
Sounds like a challenge :wink:

That's why we all love Franco! :kiss:

Good point, I doubt you'll see anyone connected with Leeds Utd there!

Luckily, we have guys like Mr Tramp to disprove this point! :wink:

Let's be careful hear. Chris has already fallen foul of bringing up weight related issues recently.

Here Here :cheers: Okie. Will. Sit down. Get a pen and some paper:

Here. It's where you are.

Hear. It's what you do when sounds come in through your ears (and obviously straight through and out the other side).

So... Lets be careful HERE.

And HEAR HEAR. When you're cheering someone on.

Got it?

Good! :D

Steve

PS. I hate to bring up that Twyford photo again. People in glass houses.... :wink:

ChrisA
16th-December-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
So... Lets be careful HERE.

And HEAR HEAR. When you're cheering someone on.

Got it?

One out of two's not bad, I suppose Steve...

It could of course be: "Let's be careful, hear?"

Duh... these amateur pedants :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TheTramp
16th-December-2003, 05:14 PM
One out of two's not bad, I suppose Steve...

It could of course be: "Let's be careful, hear?"

Duh... these amateur pedants :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Well. It could be. But it wasn't. I was commenting on the case in point, not on some random event that hasn't happened. Do you see a comma in what Will has typed (he'll probably put one in now!)!

I agree. Let's get rid of these amateur pendants. :na:

Steve

ChrisA
16th-December-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I agree. Let's get rid of these amateur pendants. :na:

Er, that would be "pedants". :na: :na: :na:

TheTramp
16th-December-2003, 05:45 PM
Er, that would be "pedants". :na: :na: :na: Ack. :blush:

Steve

RobC
16th-December-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by MaxBeat
However, we do have an alcool licence (unlike other unlicenced operators) which allow us to sell (or give alcool for free) up to 23.00 hours.
We have a full bar in Fleet :na: :cheers:

6. To all who think that it is cheaper and better to attend a similar event for £ 15/ £ 20 (please note that I am generalising and not referring to any particular competitor) in return for balloons, party poppers and peanuts, then please concentrate on the fact that at JiveTime you will get quality food and drinks on such a special night for just a little bit extra, which at another event you might well just spend when you buy drinks for yourself and friends at the bar.
At Fleet you get an evening of dancing with a complementary drink when you arrive, and tea/coffee and cakes at the end of the evening to see you on your way all for £17.50 (£20 on the door - if you leave it that late, you had better ring simon and check tickets are still available before leaving home). :wink:

If you hadn't guessed, I'll be at Fleet with LL's phat tunes.

Rob

Mary
17th-December-2003, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the forum Franco. I thought Rebecca laid out a stunning buffet last year. I don't normally do the buffet thing but it was all so 'accessable' and just the right sort of stuff to tempt a flagging dancer. Glad to hear the numbers have been limited this year - I think it will improve the event as a whole.

Cheers again.:cheers:

M

Rachel
17th-December-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi
peter Absolutely - it's always great to hear from the organisers themselves. I do realise my last posting sounded like I was moaning but, as I said, I really didn't mean it in that way.

What it comes down to is that, basically, I'm greedy and want to be able to go out to venues 7 nights a week, including all the best party nights. Unfortunately, financies are limiting things somewhat at the moment and, this year, the Ealing event is beyond our budget.

However, as I also said, I don't have any doubt that Ealing's NYE party will be amazing and excellent value for money. I love the place and have always had a wonderful time whenever I've been there.

I can imagine there will never be problems selling all the tickets for an Ealing party - I do think it's good to limit the numbers for NYE and, if there are enough people willing to pay more if it means less over-crowding, then that's just good business sense. So I'd never blame any organiser for doing that - quite the opposite.

Well, whatever everyone ends up doing on New Year's Eve, I hope you all have a fantastic time.
Rachel

Dreadful Scathe
17th-December-2003, 12:34 PM
Er, that would be "pedants". :na: :na: :na:

:D Your avatar really does suit you ;)

ChrisA
17th-December-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
:D Your avatar really does suit you ;)
Most kind. I chose it very carefully.

Be careful, though. I could swap to Alice and have the "fist of death" available in the blink of an eye. :devil:

Care to join in the fun over in Pedants' (sic) Corner?