PDA

View Full Version : Which country is best to learn Ceroc

horsey_dude
8th-December-2003, 09:32 AM
Ok. A number of you have been "Dancing" around this question in recent threads so lets bring it out in the open take the gloves off!

Which country is best to learn in and has the best Ceroc scene and why? I have Ceroced in NZ,Oz,England and Scotland and still can't make up my mind..........

Emma
8th-December-2003, 10:28 AM
The one you're in?! :grin:

Lynn
8th-December-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Emma
The one you're in?! :grin: :rofl:
No option for Northern Ireland! I'm shocked! No - not really as since the whole scene is about 7 weeks old here! So when I find out the answer to this poll I can book my flights, sell my house, relocate my job... OK - maybe that would be too extreme...

TheTramp
8th-December-2003, 11:00 AM
Wonder how many people are actually 'qualified' to vote in this poll.

You are HD, and Nicky (Haslem) & Robert and myself. I know that Gus and Chris (and others?) have been to NZ. And a few other folk - David & Lily, Divi, Daisy, Hayleybell (and probably again others) have been dancing in Oz. But have any of those people been to the other side of the Tasman sea?

And how many other people from down under have ever been to classes in both England and Scotland?

Steve

Pammy
8th-December-2003, 11:11 AM
Does the Isle of Wight count? :wink:

Or France, Helen and I have done it there (so to speak) :blush:

Dave Hancock
8th-December-2003, 01:30 PM
Agree with Emma, that locality has to come into it, having experienced them all apart from Ireland (and NI), I'd have to say from a pure learning point of view NZ, especially in Auckland is the most structured learning environment. However, I think a lot of it is about fun and while biased I'd vote for Scotland on that one, so I guess NZ for learning, but Scotland for the best Ceroc scene.

Heather
8th-December-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
However, I think a lot of it is about fun and while biased I'd vote for Scotland on that one, so I guess NZ for learning, but Scotland for the best Ceroc scene.
No you're not biased at all Dave!!!
Scotland is the best for Fun!!!

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
XX

Chris
8th-December-2003, 05:42 PM
having experienced them all apart from Ireland (and NI), I'd have to say from a pure learning point of view NZ, especially in Auckland is the most structured learning environment.
I think Dave's hit it on the head - it is very structured and that is ideally suited to learning. But in defence of Scotland/England I'd point out that a tight structure is made relatively easier by the relatively small numbers in NZ, and unless you encamp outside the venue (which is possible!) it seemed to me you need a car to get pretty well anywhere in NZ. So if you don't drive, UK would be easier.
However, I think a lot of it is about fun and while biased I'd vote for Scotland on that one, so I guess NZ for learning, but Scotland for the best Ceroc scene.
Again numbers come into it maybe - it's easier to have fun when there are lots of people. Having said that, NZ works hard at serious fun
The primary fun is based on being able to dance well - the 'sport' attitude of 'if it's worth doing it's worth doing well' that someone else mentioned (and which is probably shared by Australia)
The intensiveness of special events - I'd say there are probably more 'themed' parties in NZ - and if you take it proportionate to the number of dancers, many more. People take them seriously - one guy at a fancy dress had practiced several years on his costume! (he came as a vacuum cleaner!)
The NZ ability to form deep friendships - I've probably got as many enduring friendships from NZ Ceroc as I have from Scottish Ceroc. Here there's more a sense of partying with everybody whoever (which is nice, but on a different level).
Ceroc NZ also (officially) promotes many non-dance things - this is something that individual franchisees could do more of here maybe - just an idea . . .

Chris
8th-December-2003, 09:59 PM
And I suppose Scotland's well-known 'charm offensive' could be taken as a plus point for learning, especially for beginners.

Looking at the number of votes and posters, I suspect quite a few people who post maybe haven't visited all or most of the countries listed though . . .

(Why am I the only one championing / giving reasons for Scotland? Especially as I voted 'New Zealand'?)

Gadget
8th-December-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Chris
(Why am I the only one championing / giving reasons for Scotland?)
'coz we already know we is pure dead brilliant! :wink:

Chris
8th-December-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
'coz we already know we is pure dead brilliant! :wink:
Errrrmmmm . . . hardly your usual line of carefully argued reasoning Gadget

and I'm Scottish btw!

Gary
8th-December-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

And how many other people from down under have ever been to classes in both England and Scotland?

Give me time.

Actually, give me plane tickets :wink:

Debster
8th-December-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Wonder how many people are actually 'qualified' to vote in this poll.

Hey - me too! Well, if you are counting people from Down-under who have danced in England and Scotland. (How soon he forgets me... *sigh* ;) ) I've done a fair chunk of the 3 countries and am probably going to add NZ in 2004 (Anybody from Christchurch reading this?)

TheTramp
8th-December-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Debster
Hey - me too! Well, if you are counting people from Down-under who have danced in England and Scotland. (How soon he forgets me... *sigh* ;) ) I've done a fair chunk of the 3 countries and am probably going to add NZ in 2004 (Anybody from Christchurch reading this?) So sorry Deb. How could I possibly have forgotten you. So, when are you going to dance in Scotland again??? :D

Steve

Neil
9th-December-2003, 01:18 AM
Is there any Modern Jive at all in the Republic of Ireland?

I suppose there must be some in Dublin (and maybe Cork, Limerick, Galway etc.), but I've never seen any on my trips there.

Ireland has a strong tradition of dance, and I reckon MJ would go down a storm there.

Sláinte!

Neil

Lynn
9th-December-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Neil

I suppose there must be some in Dublin (and maybe Cork, Limerick, Galway etc.), but I've never seen any on my trips there.

Ireland has a strong tradition of dance, and I reckon MJ would go down a storm there.

Sláinte!

Neil
When I came across ceroc on holiday in Sept on my return I did a search on the internet (I live in Northern Ireland) and I couldn't find anything north or south of the border. But that doesn't mean its not there somewhere.

Since then there is a jive class started in Belfast but as far as I know that's all there is - so far....

I think it would be good for ceroc proper to come here as I think there would be a good market for it.

JamesGeary
10th-December-2003, 01:33 AM
If you are a big guy or a small girl - Australia. You can do the lifts and aerials and real performance stuff for shows, solo or as part of team performances.

If you are a little guy or big girl - NZ. You can rapidly learn to be a good floor dancer

If you like interpretation / swing music - UK, because there are zillions of good swing dancers with lindy backgrounds who do jive/ceroc, and you learn to dance to a wide range of music.

I can't comment on Scotland!!

JamesGeary
10th-December-2003, 01:54 AM

Social partner dancing with enthusiasm overriding any interest in footwork? I think they've already got it. Had it before Mr Cronin in fact.

Chris
10th-December-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
Social partner dancing with enthusiasm overriding any interest in footwork? I think they've already got it.

It's just called "stompin' your feet about to keep warm" - technically known as 'Ceilidh'. Close relation of Scottish Ceroc. Footwork is about as necessary as in a rugby scrum, but don't let that put you off or think it isn't done with as much finesse as large amounts of lager will allow. Best also done with large boots that can crush the ankles of any pansy-dancers.

We Scots invented it and the Irish just joined in cos it looked such good fun. :D

Neil
10th-December-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Chris
We Scots invented it and the Irish just joined in cos it looked such good fun Aren't the Scots and the Irish basically the same thing? :devil:

Neil

Stubob
10th-December-2003, 12:58 PM
Nope! The Celts are the same race but the Scots are entirely different race altogether. You comment would also fit for saying that the English and the Frence are the same race. :devil:

JamesGeary
11th-December-2003, 07:36 AM
Doesn't the bulk of the Scottish people live in mines underground? Industrialisation is sad.

Stubob
11th-December-2003, 10:30 AM
It would seem to me that you are being very silly my English chum.

Perhaps you could explain your last post?

Stuart M
11th-December-2003, 11:03 AM

When I was in Dublin a couple of years back, there were ads in the "what's on" freesheets for clubs which did swing and jive. One was near St.Stephen's Green but I couldn't find it. And no sign of MJ at all. I'll resume the search, when I go back for the centenary Bloomsday in 2004.

Doesn't the bulk of the Scottish people live in mines underground? Industrialisation is sad.
Have to agree with stubob - this just comes across as a cheap jibe. James, if you're making a joke, please stick a smiley or something on the end (e.g. like Neil's post a little before it), so those of us who might not find it funny at least realise you're trying to be funny. :nice:

This sort of thing always happens when someone starts a nationality-based thread...

Anyway, my own opinion on the "who's best" question is the same as (that lovely English lass!) Emma's: where you're at is where it's best. :D

Stubob
11th-December-2003, 11:52 AM
I voted "Don't Care" on the basis that I have only ever danced at venues in Scotland and cannot comment on how good, bad or ugly the dance scene is elsewhere.

I agree with Stuart M that nationalistic threads in any forum (I am thinking very much of the SRU Chatroom as well) generate comments which are entirely inappropriate and designed simply to wind people up; and are very childish.

Folks from all over the UK and Ireland and now 'down-under' contribute to this forum, this makes it an interesting place to visit with it's rich diversity of topics and discussion :wink:

Stubob.

Will
11th-December-2003, 11:55 AM
Why is Czeckoslovakia not on the list?

Dreadful Scathe
11th-December-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Will

Possibly as theres no such country ? :)

Theres no Yugoslavia, Ceylon or Siam on it either :D

Stuart M
11th-December-2003, 12:14 PM
There used to be somewhere called Chechoslovakia, though, DS. :rolleyes:

Heather, you'll have to work on Will's spelling again! And find him a Geography teacher while you're at it :D

Will
11th-December-2003, 12:18 PM
I hear Ceroc Rhodesia is going from strength to strength.

JamesGeary
11th-December-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M

Have to agree with stubob - this just comes across as a cheap jibe. James, if you're making a joke, please stick a smiley or something on the end

Stubob hadn't realised the post before his was a joke. And there was a smiley on the end. So I kindly made a similar post but more obvious so that he realised that what the person wrote before him was not intended to be taken seriously. Neither of us actually believe these things. I in particular don't believe that a country of people live in mines!

Smiley's on everything in the future.
:)

(there is something vaguely feminine about using all these smileys)

Stubob
11th-December-2003, 12:32 PM
Stubob didn't realise the post before his was a joke.

I did realise the post was an attempt at humour, which is why I responded with a something as equally as silly. However, your attempt at further humour missed the mark completely and was as Stuart M said a cheap jibe. :tears:

Stubob

Will
11th-December-2003, 12:40 PM

To which Stubob replied:-

It would seem to me that you are being very silly my English chum.

People know me as a peace loving person who steers well clear of frenzied and heated debate. Therefore, I shall avoid taking sides or making judgements on this viscious and heated slanging match. I shall instead post 2 points of order to correct these 2 adversarys:-

1. James is a Kiwi, not an Englishman
2. It's the Welsh who live in mines, not the Scots.

I thankyou. :nice:

Neil
11th-December-2003, 04:53 PM
Erm, as the person ultimately responsible for this thread veering wildly off-topic, I would like to issue a heartfelt apology to the people of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and (the former) Czechoslovakia :tears:.

Neil (note the Gaelic name)

p.s. Actually, the parallels (and differences) between Scottish and Irish culture are quite fascinating, but nowt to do with MJ, so if I ever get the time I'll start a new thread in Chit Chat.

p.p.s. Stuart M, if you manage to track down any MJ in Dublin, please let me know. I shall ReJoyce!

Stuart M
11th-December-2003, 05:25 PM
p.p.s. Stuart M, if you manage to track down any MJ in Dublin, please let me know. I shall ReJoyce!
I think this time I'll try to find Mr Denis J Maginni, professor of dance...he should know. :wink:

OK I'll confess, I had to search an online text for a mention of dancing in Ulysses. But I have read it twice - honest.
:sorry

TheTramp
11th-December-2003, 06:14 PM
2. It's the Welsh who live in mines, not the Scots.Keep up with comments like that Will, and you too might find yourself underground. About 6' :D

Steve

Lynn
12th-December-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Stuart M
When I was in Dublin a couple of years back, there were ads in the "what's on" freesheets for clubs which did swing and jive. One was near St.Stephen's Green but I couldn't find it. And no sign of MJ at all. I'll resume the search, when I go back for the centenary Bloomsday in 2004.
When doing an internet search in Sep (looking for MJ in Ireland) I did come across a site for swing in Dublin but didn't find anything for MJ. If anyone does hear of anything let me know.