PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word, help for long tables needed.

johnthehappyguy
24th-September-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi,
I have several hundred pages of information to put into tables in Microsoft Word.

I can make up a table with a heading at the top, and "boxes" for text underneath.

When I am filling up the table with a lot of stuff, it automatically runs onto page two, which is fine, then page three etc. Page two and three won't get headings, and i don't know how to get them.

The difficulty is, that i need the same headings on each of the pages.

What i have been doing is making up a one page table with headings, then copying and pasting it, so there is an identical table ( not a continuation table) on each page. Usually it requires about thirty pages in one document.

So, what happens is i type away, then when i reach the bottom of page one, i stop writing, move down into the next page and continue writing there.

This works ok, if i get the typing correct first time, but if i want to add a paragraph or two say, on page 5, then I have move, by copying and pasting the contents of every page from page 6 onwards, to get them to line up so there are still headings on every page.

This is becoming a nightmare, and simple editing of a document takes about 6 hours.

so,

any ideas as to how can i do this more easily ?

(I can't find out what version of Word I have, i think it is about two or three years old, when it comes on at the start, the W is blue, but it flashes away too quickly for me to read.)

thanks very much,

John :)

John

DavidY
24th-September-2009, 05:49 PM
(I can't find out what version of Word I have, i think it is about two or three years old, when it comes on at the start, the W is blue, but it flashes away too quickly for me to read.)
From the menu at the top, select "Help" then "About Microsoft Word". Somewhere in there will be some version info.

If there is no menu at the top, you probably have Word 2007.

The difficulty is, that i need the same headings on each of the pages.

The way I do it in Word 2003 (which is what I have) is as follows: Have one big Table with all the stuff in, which goes across several pages.
Select the top row of the table (the one you want to repeat). Note you can select 2 or more rows to repeat if you need them to
On the Table menu, select "Heading Rows Repeat"
Does that help?

SteveW
24th-September-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi

What you need to do is select the row you want to use as a header.

Highlight (wrong phrase really as they typically go to black :whistle:) all the cells then right click.

Select the Table Properties... option (the last one on the list), then select the Row tab.

There is a check box which says 'Repeat as Header Row...' - tick that, press OK, then that should be you.

.... Or alternatively do what David says.:doh:

johnthehappyguy
24th-September-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks

johnthehappyguy
24th-September-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, that is great it works, It is like a 100 hour weight (wait?) has been lifted from my shoulders.

I do appreciate it.

thanks again
john