PDA

View Full Version : name calling

Chris
3rd-December-2003, 02:00 PM
I'm puzzled by the language. Most Ceroc documents talk about 'cerocers' - presumably cos that's how you would spell a french plural. But it makes no sense as an English word (it would rhyme with karaokers). Many people write 'ceroccers' but that seems to go against the main authority (ie Ceroc Ltd).

So how do you spell it?

Aaaarrrrgh!!! Sugar! bad words! ****!

I meant to write these as the options but can't edit them now . . . :blush: :blush: :blush:

I think of myself as a Ceroc dancer and spell it 'Cerocer'
I think of myself as a Ceroc dancer and spell it 'Ceroccer'
I think of myself as a modern jive dancer and call them 'Cerocers'
I think of myself as a modern jive dancer and call them 'Ceroccers'
I spell it both ways
I try to avoid writing the word as I don't know how to spell it!
My spelling's so awful I wouldn't notice which way I spelt it
I can't answer - think I'll just bluff it and hope I never have to write it down when someone's watching!

so much for the all powerful 'edit' button - duh!!

John S
3rd-December-2003, 02:34 PM
It's not a word I ever use - in any of its variants, as I think it sounds daft (as well as cutting out those who would rather be Blitzers, MoJivers, Leroc/c/kers etc)!

But in the same vein, what do people who go to Swing classes call themselves???

And are the Waltzers especially good at spins?

I think I should stop now.

ChrisA
3rd-December-2003, 02:41 PM
I drive a Volkswagen Scirocco.

Is that an allowed spelling?

Chris

bigdjiver
3rd-December-2003, 02:59 PM
I use Cerocer.

For the few that do not know Ceroc was derived from the French C'est Roc. I have never heard it pronounced that way.

I have been trying to get musicians together to record some related songs, and contemplated the name "Sir Rock". :confused:

TheTramp
3rd-December-2003, 05:00 PM
Why isn't there a 'Who cares on whether a person who does Ceroc has 2 'c's in the spelling or not' option???

Steve

spindr
3rd-December-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm a CeMod :)

bigdjiver
3rd-December-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by spindr
I'm a CeMod :)

Rats! Now we need scooter in the "How do you get there" poll.

Jon L
4th-December-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
I use Cerocer.

For the few that do not know Ceroc was derived from the French C'est Roc. I have never heard it pronounced that way.

I have been trying to get musicians together to record some related songs, and contemplated the name "Sir Rock". :confused:

I use the term "cerocer" even though not all of them will attend an "official" ceroc enterprises venue.

Now the best analogy/example of this I have heard here is of the term "hoover" and you do the "hoover-ing" as part of the housework!

You may not be using an actual "hoover" you could be using a Dyson/Electrolux etc. etc. :grin: It's the same with a cerocer in dance i.e. you could be at another jive companies event.

Heather
4th-December-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Why isn't there a 'Who cares on whether a person who does Ceroc has 2 'c's in the spelling or not' option???

Steve

That's the option I went for - WHO CARES!!!!
When my fellow MAd crew members and I get funny looks from shop assistants in Tammy Girl , we usually offer explanation by explaining that 'we dance'. No names, no pack drill !!!:D
If anyone enquires, we usually explain that we do modern jive at Ceroc classes.
At the end of the day it's pretty trivial anyway. I am of the opinion, that only dance 'snobs' would worry about it .

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
XX

Chris
4th-December-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Heather
At the end of the day it's pretty trivial anyway. I am of the opinion, that only dance 'snobs' would worry about it .

As the thread starter I hope you don't think I'm a dance snob Heather, or I'm sorry if you do.:blush:

I've done a small ceroc-related website for several years now and don't always manage to avoid the issue by saying 'people who dance ceroc' or such phrases - valid as they are.

I do have a genuine interest in the English language, boring as that sounds. If Ceroc has managed to establish itself with a French-based spelling (cerocer) I find this interesting - even more so if it eventually becomes a Collins / OED entry. It would support ideas of the historical impact of Ceroc socially IMO. I also think it's interesting to find a word that is equally acceptable to supporters (who would be more likely to use the term 'cerocer') and critics who do not see ceroc as anything more than a commercial development of a form of modern french jive.

But in terms of the Forum, I doubt if anyone cares much, though I'm grateful for the responses.

bigdjiver
4th-December-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I've done a small ceroc-related website for several years now

How about putting the link in your profile?

I've done a small ceroc-related website for several years now and don't always manage to avoid the issue by saying 'people who dance ceroc' or such phrases - valid as they are.

I do have a genuine interest in the English language, boring as that sounds. If Ceroc has managed to establish itself with a French-based spelling (cerocer) I find this interesting - even more so if it eventually becomes a Collins / OED entry. It would support ideas of the historical impact of Ceroc socially IMO.

It would be good for Ceroc if the name Cerocer was misused for Modern Jive in general, at least in the medium term.

The idea that it might evolve into a term of contempt is interesting. We could have a division into the Sters and the Cerocers.:confused:

Chris
4th-December-2003, 05:23 PM
How about putting the link in your profile?

It can be reached from the 'dance' link in the drop down box from my homepage if anyone's interested, (and my homepage is in my signature file on posts) :blush:
But if you want to go direct it's http://www.docker.demon.co.uk/dance

stewart38
4th-December-2003, 05:51 PM
I voted before they had the 'who cares section' please add my vote in that

:confused:

cerocer

ChrisA
4th-December-2003, 05:52 PM
We could have a division into the Sters and the Cerocers.:confused: No way! This will never be possible because they are not mutually exclusive sets. I'm afraid you either are a 'Ster or you aren't. But it doesn't depend on whether you're a Cerocer or not.

I would post the membership criteria for becoming a 'Ster, but the dog ate them. Or he would have done if there were any. Or if there was a dog.

If you understand this at an instinctive level then you are well on the way to becoming, in fact you may already be, a 'Ster. Even if you don't, you still might be.

:cheers:

bigdjiver
4th-December-2003, 06:12 PM
[B (and my homepage is in my signature file on posts) :blush:
[/B]

Duuh :sorry

I just bought a new pair of glasses, pity I was not wearing them.

(Actually ignoring sigs has become pretty automatic)

Dan
4th-December-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
No way! This will never be possible because they are not mutually exclusive sets. I'm afraid you either are a 'Ster or you aren't. But it doesn't depend on whether you're a Cerocer or not.

I would post the membership criteria for becoming a 'Ster, but the dog ate them. Or he would have done if there were any. Or if there was a dog.

If you understand this at an instinctive level then you are well on the way to becoming, in fact you may already be, a 'Ster. Even if you don't, you still might be.

:cheers:

Emm.... What is a 'Ster ? Honestly Chris, I have no idea what you mean.

I have sometimes heard people refer to other dancers as "Cerocers" in a derogatory way - inferring that they are not graceful dancers but rather clumsy newcomers to the dance scene, coming in via the easy route. Whilst there may be a lot of truth in this, everyone needs to start somewhere and it is a credit to Ceroc that they have attracted the ordinary Joe in.

I for one, shall never be ashamed to be called a Cerocer in whatever spelling, in whatever meaning, because it has completely changed my social life.

Andre

ChrisA
4th-December-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Andr
Emm.... What is a 'Ster ? Honestly Chris, I have no idea what you mean.Neither do any of the 'Sters... you might try the 'Sters (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1548) thread, though. :D :D You should also cover the very technical texts to be found in the Department of Wiggling, and the Hollow Tree, which are unrelated but follow the 'Ster tradition very well.

One of these things that have their origins in the mists of time... :confused: :confused:

Some of us have a 'Sters T-shirt, though, now... :cheers:

I have sometimes heard people refer to other dancers as "Cerocers" in a derogatory wayNo true 'Ster would ever do this.

Chris

foxylady
4th-December-2003, 06:49 PM
I ceroc, I jive, I lindy, I boogie, I wiggle , therefore I am a dancer

:wink:

ChrisA
4th-December-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by foxylady
I ceroc, I jive, I lindy, I boogie, I wiggle , therefore I am a dancer

Strictly, you ceroc, you jive, you lindy, you boogie, therefore you are a dancer, and you wiggle

Accuracy, please :D

All wigglers dance, but not all dancers wiggle.

foxylady
4th-December-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA

All wigglers dance, but not all dancers wiggle.

SO, so true !!

FL

thewacko
4th-December-2003, 07:07 PM
who cares how you spell cerocer or cerocker, I know its iritating when texting anyone and I have to put ceroc ing, as its easier to put the space in rather than to come out of predictive text!:confused:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-December-2003, 12:09 AM
wheres the option for "I think of myself as a Smurf" and I spell it "Smuuuuuurf"

as this whole thread is trivial though do i have carte blanche, or whatever the term is, to post up any sort of rubbish i feel like ? :D

...and yet, strangly, i cant think of any.

Dont worry Ill be back to normal tomorrow :)

Chris
5th-December-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by thewacko
its iritating when texting anyone and I have to put ceroc ing, as its easier to put the space in rather than to come out of predictive text!:confused:

I'm puzzled - if your handset has learnt 'ceroc' and added it to the predictive memory, won't it also learn 'cerocing'? :confused:

thewacko
5th-December-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm puzzled - if your handset has learnt 'ceroc' and added it to the predictive memory, won't it also learn 'cerocing'? :confused:

it will but i have to put it in, and if the spelling is wrong wots the point:tears:

Emma
5th-December-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by thewacko
iritating when texting anyone and I have to put ceroc ing, I have a cunning way around this. I put 'dancing' :waycool:

I think cerocer or ceroccer or cerrocking or whatever is hidjus.

thewacko
5th-December-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Emma
I have a cunning way around this. I put 'dancing' :waycool:

I think cerocer or ceroccer or cerrocking or whatever is hidjus.

i new there was a reason I loved you so much:hug: