PDA

View Full Version : Belly dancing

AussieJ
8th-August-2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone here have an interest in belly dancing, or are currently involved with belly dancing?

Today, I just got back from a soiree event held at the Britannia Panopticon here in Glasgow. One of the entertainment acts that came on stage was the Scottish Tribal Fusion Bellydance Troupe.

I'd never even heard of Tribal Fusion Bellydance style, much less seen it - so I was definitely entertained, enlightened, and impressed after having seen these gals perform their act.

Circumstantial I know, but fresh after having witnessed their performance, I thought I'd ask if anyone here is involved with belly dancing at the moment :grin:

Lou
10th-August-2009, 01:10 PM
Circumstantial I know, but fresh after having witnessed their performance, I thought I'd ask if anyone here is involved with belly dancing at the moment :grin:

I want to be. :D I've just done a couple of classes, but I'm having to take a break for a while. I made the mistake of starting halfway though a course, but couldn't catch up as quickly as I wanted. I'll start again at the beginning of the next course.

It's the tribal side that interests me too. But I need to spend a lot longer on the basics first. And the trickiest thing is thinking of posture and body positioning, whilst also trying to isolate bits, whilst also trying to be graceful! :what:

emmylou25
10th-August-2009, 02:31 PM
Someone at work ran a fun belly dancing course for charity which ran for 10 weeks. It was great fun, but it did help that I'd previously done a lot of body isolation work in salsa which meant I could pick up the moves quite quickly compared to everyone else, most of whom had never danced at all before.

I'd not want to do it for more than a few weeks for a bit of fun but for any ladies who want to learn proper body isolation & movement, it'd be a good opportunity if you've got a good teacher near you.

crystaltips
12th-August-2009, 01:39 PM
I did it a few years back, for about a year and when I have the time (ha!!), I'd like to get back to it. Was such great fun, I'd recommend anyone try it. And check out some of the videos on You Tube, especially Sadie! How she does those belly flutters, I have no idea.

ant
13th-August-2009, 11:03 AM
Does anyone here have an interest in belly dancing.....

Hi AussieJ

You will find some classes do not allow men as they have muslim women who attend regularly, who would not go if a man was present. So if you do decide to attend a class check first.

I have found that a video by Jacqueline Chapman (called Belly Dancing) is a good reference if you want to practise at home. It lasts for about an hour and there are two 10 minute sections where you get instruction on basic belly dance moves and the basis of a good home workout if you do not like going to the gym. The first 10 minute section is fairly straight forward (and very good for hip training) and the second 10 minute section a bit more complicated (more in the way of body rolls etc). I have found that if you are patient you can pick up a copy fairly cheaply on Ebay or you can google in the name and get details from her website.

On a personal note I have been trying to find a video or DVD that gives instruction on upper body isolation exercises used in Belly Dancing (these are helpful for Tango and I believe Salsa) but have only managed to track down USA system DVD's. Is anybody aware of UK compatable videos or DVD's that feature these exercises.

Lou
13th-August-2009, 12:22 PM
On a personal note I have been trying to find a video or DVD that gives instruction on upper body isolation exercises used in Belly Dancing (these are helpful for Tango and I believe Salsa) but have only managed to track down USA system DVD's. Is anybody aware of UK compatable videos or DVD's that feature these exercises.
If you do find any - can you post detail here, please? Cheers!

Minnie M
13th-August-2009, 05:59 PM
Not sure if she still looks at the forum but DangerousCurves is a Belly Dancer and runs a club locally (in Lewes/Sussex) and they have a couple of male dancers attending.

I started going to Belly Dancing workout sessions, fantastic :clap: this is all about the moves rather that the dancing - teaching you how to use your body to move in time to music, especially body isolations (like body rolls)

Fantastic excercise - unfortunately circumstances mean I can't attend the classes any more - but would definitely recommend them to all dancers (whatever dance you do) my teacher was http://galitmersand.com/class.html (unfortunately she only teaches in Sussex)

Good luck, hope you find a local one to attend.

(Galit has some DVDs for sale on her website)

Miss Flicts
29th-August-2009, 10:45 AM
I learned the basics from a DVD called 'Instructional Bellydance with Jillina', which is pretty good. I think there are more levels in her series although I only have level 1. I'm not sure about the region though as my player is multi-regional.

There's one bodyripple movement (I think it's called 'camel') which is one of the most useful moves I've ever learnt anywhere, as it can be adapted and incorporated into so many other types of dance...MJ, street dance, hoopdance...

Gadget
29th-August-2009, 09:06 PM
Just noticed this link on facebook after reading this thread...

http://www.kimberlymackoy.com/site/facebookland1.html (London)

Halo
31st-August-2009, 11:13 PM
Jilina is one of the World class performers and she has loads of DVD's which are really helpful, I have a couple but one I have just started looking at just focussing on shimming lol x

firefly
1st-September-2009, 11:44 AM
There's one bodyripple movement (I think it's called 'camel') which is one of the most useful moves I've ever learnt anywhere, as it can be adapted and incorporated into so many other types of dance...MJ, street dance, hoopdance...

I went to belly dancing classes for a while a few years ago. It's funny you should mention that, because I'm convinced that my body rolls are based on the "camel" that I learned in belly dancing.

Lost Leader
1st-September-2009, 06:09 PM
Not sure if she still looks at the forum but DangerousCurves is a Belly Dancer....

Just how dangerous are those curves? Are we talking "Ease of the gas and you'll be fine" or is it more like "Wooaaah!, *** - is that a precipice down there".

Just wondered :innocent:

Minnie M
1st-September-2009, 06:42 PM
Just how dangerous are those curves? Are we talking "Ease of the gas and you'll be fine" or is it more like "Wooaaah!, *** - is that a precipice down there".

Just wondered :innocent:

You obviously have not met or danced with the very sexy Diane