PDA

View Full Version : Muggle. The definitive definition. Definitely.

Will
1st-December-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Which isn't about the choice of music, or whether muggle Djs should be used....
Steve
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "Muggle" actually mean?

ChrisA
1st-December-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Will
24 inches of parchment, please, on why you should read everything written by Joanne Rowling.

In these circles, it refers to a non-dancer. In the Harry Potter books, it is a person with no magical ability, so it amounts to the same thing.

Chris

TheTramp
1st-December-2003, 01:52 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "Muggle" actually mean? Coming from Harry Potter, where Muggles are non-wizards.

In the Modern Jive world, a muggle is someone who is a non-modern jive dancer....

Steve

ChrisA
1st-December-2003, 01:55 PM
In the Modern Jive world, a muggle is someone who is a non-modern jive dancer....

And six inches of parchment from you too, Steve, on where hyphens should go.

:waycool: :waycool: :D :D

TheTramp
1st-December-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
And six inches of parchment from you too, Steve, on where hyphens should go.

:waycool: :waycool: :D :D Ummm. And where would you suggest putting it then?? :devil:

You, yourself, use 'non-dancer'.

I just replaced 'dancer' with 'modern jive dancer' (to be more genre specific). And came out with 'non-modern jive dancer', although, it could be more mathematically written as non-(modern jive dancer).

Is this 6 inches yet?? :D

Steve

ChrisA
1st-December-2003, 02:03 PM

Oops. :really:

Chris
1st-December-2003, 02:07 PM
Coming from Harry Potter, where Muggles are non-wizards.

Which also leads on to Muggle-friendly moves (eg arm jive and octopus), Muggle-friendly venues (? good taxi-dancers, and freely available alcohol if that fails), Muggle-friendly records (recognisable top ten type stuff - no blues!), Muggle-friendly expressions (not too many of the long, lingering sexy looks, pouts, or come-to-bed smiles), and Muggle-friendly conversation (that doesn't consist solely of how wonderful dancing is, the latest dance news, wasn't that a great double-pretzel comb-variation etc, when friends come round for tea.)
:wink:

Chris
1st-December-2003, 02:13 PM
And came out with 'non-modern jive dancer', although, it could be more mathematically written as non-(modern jive dancer).

possibly non- modern-jive dancer would be good enough English, but if we were to be fussy you'd need to re-write the sentence. :na:

ChrisA
1st-December-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Chris
possibly non- modern-jive dancer would be good enough English, but if we were to be fussy you'd need to re-write the sentence. :na:
I still maintain it should be non-dancer, without specifying modern jive.

If you had seen the couple dancing WCS (or something indistinguishable from it to my untutored eye) to Kylie's "Slow" on Friday night, you sure as heck wouldn't have called them muggles.

They expressed every nuance of the music quite awesomely, and left me quite stunned. Apparently they are world-champion line dancers, but watching them there would be no "yee hah" jokes either.

Chris

Reklaw
1st-December-2003, 02:39 PM
Ummm. And where would you suggest putting it then?? :devil:

Apologies in advance for going off thread and lowering the tone...

If it's not, then I could forward of the many, many spam emails I get which seem to think I have a problem in that area and want to offer a solution..... :na:

TheTramp
1st-December-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Reklaw
Apologies in advance for going off thread and lowering the tone...No problem.

Welcome to the club

Steve

PS. Weren't you supposed to come and say hello at Camber??? :rolleyes:

Reklaw
1st-December-2003, 03:30 PM

PS. Weren't you supposed to come and say hello at Camber??? :rolleyes:
Yep, but you were always busy talking/dancing and it would have been impolite to interrupt.... next time.
Rumour has it you're going to be in Newcastle sometime, if you're allowed a couple of minutes spare I'll introduce you a "bottle of Broon" :waycool: Not that I'd touch the stuff myself :drool:

TheTramp
1st-December-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Reklaw
Yep, but you were always busy talking/dancing and it would have been impolite to interrupt.... next time.
Rumour has it you're going to be in Newcastle sometime, if you're allowed a couple of minutes spare I'll introduce you a "bottle of Broon" :waycool: Not that I'd touch the stuff myself :drool: I've been invited down to Newcastle for a re-opening night or something. On the 7th of Feb or something like that. Looking forward to it.

Will have to forego the bottle of 'broon' though, since I don't really do the alcohol thing.... but thanks anyhow :D

Steve

Reklaw
1st-December-2003, 06:02 PM
Will have to forego the bottle of 'broon' though, since I don't really do the alcohol thing....
Steve
No I can't stand the stuff either, but round here you have, at least, to pretend to. :cheers:

I think 7th Feb is when the new floor at the Blackfriars venue is going to be ready. After 7/8 years of Ceroc at Blackfriars the old one was wearing a bit thin! :wink:

And... [/offThread] I did my first DJ'ing for a (mostly) muggle crowd there on Saturday, a friend's birthday party, not a Ceroc event, although there were quite a few Cerocers there. Let's just say it was.... very different.... and not easy. Not having a lot of the music the muggles asked for didn't go down well, even though I played loads of Cerocable stuff they could dance round their handbags to :(

Mind you I'd never be able to play Paranoid at a regular Ceroc event!

Tazmanian Devil
2nd-December-2003, 01:48 AM
Coming from Harry Potter, where Muggles are non-wizards.

Steve

Sorry to be pickie but in Harry potter a muggle is not a non wizard it's just that the wizard is not PURE blood. :rolleyes:

ChrisA
2nd-December-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
Sorry to be pickie but in Harry potter a muggle is not a non wizard it's just that the wizard is not PURE blood. :rolleyes:
No, Taz...

A non- pure-blooded wizard is a mudblood (ie one or both parents are muggles).

Strictly a muggle is not just a non-wizard - it's a completely non-magical person - there are also squibs, which are not actual wizards, but have minor magical abilities. For instance, Mrs Figg, in Order of the Phoenix. Squibs aren't wizards (or witches if female), but they're not muggles either.

Chris

TheTramp
2nd-December-2003, 01:59 AM
Uh huh. What ChrisA said (though it does pain me to agree with him :rolleyes: )

Taken from the draft definition which is going to go into the Oxford English Dictionary:

The draft definition according to the dictionary's website says:

Muggle: invented by JK (Joanne Kathleen) Rowling (b. 1965), British author of children's fantasy fiction (see quot. 1997).
In the fiction of JK Rowling: a person who possesses no magical powers. Hence in allusive and extended uses: a person who lacks a particular skill or skills, or who is regarded as inferior in some way.

Also taken from the news article

Muggle has appeared in different old English forms in the dictionary before. In one entry, a muggle is "a tail resembling that of a fish".

It's also been used to mean a young woman or sweetheart. Please let it be noted that in no way whatsoever, am I even going to think about linking the last part of the first quote, with the last part of the second quote!! :D

Steve

Tazmanian Devil
2nd-December-2003, 02:02 AM
No, Taz...

A non- pure-blooded wizard is a mudblood (ie one or both parents are muggles).

Strictly a muggle is not just a non-wizard - it's a completely non-magical person - there are also squibs, which are not actual wizards, but have minor magical abilities. For instance, Mrs Figg, in Order of the Phoenix. Squibs aren't wizards (or witches if female), but they're not muggles either.

Chris

Oopps :sorry Got that one a bit mixed up didn't I!!! I have only seen both films on average 20 times as my housemates kids are Harry potter mad and watch the films again and again and again. Sorry Trampy you were right Chris's statement totally made sense and I made a BIG boo boo :kiss: :hug:

TheTramp
2nd-December-2003, 02:04 AM
Sorry Trampy you were right No probs.

Law of averages said that it had to happen sometime :D

Steve

ChrisA
2nd-December-2003, 02:08 AM
though it does pain me to agree with him :rolleyes: )

Sorry Trampster.

I'll try and make sure it doesn't happen again...

BTW, I think I've found out the real reason why you hate the Maver1ck5 so much...

... more tomorrow if my research pays off :devil: :devil:

ChrisA
2nd-December-2003, 02:11 AM
Chris's statement totally made sense and I made a BIG boo boo :kiss: :hug:
Don't worry hon, you have to work real hard to be as saddddd as me...

Chris :waycool: :waycool:

Emma
2nd-December-2003, 10:48 AM
Taz doesn't have a tail like a fish either. I just thought I'd point that out. You know, to be helpful :D

TheTramp
2nd-December-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Emma
Taz doesn't have a tail like a fish either. I just thought I'd point that out. You know, to be helpful :D Ah. But I had a most enjoyable dance with her at Camber (even though I was probably crap :tears: ). So I already know that she's not a muggle... :D

BTW. When you and Dan come up to Dunblane on the 19th, are you bringing Taz and theWacko for a mini-forum party? :na:

Steve

Bardsey
2nd-December-2003, 12:27 PM

Thanks for asking that question Will. I wondered too but hated to sound "not in the know". Now I do know, I can add the word to my vocabulary and sound extremely knowledgable when others ask ME what it means..... that'll make a change!

Jive Brummie
3rd-December-2003, 12:18 AM
I've been invited down to Newcastle for a re-opening night or something. On the 7th of Feb or something like that. Looking forward to it.

Steve

:really: :really: :really: ME TOO!!!!!!

ah well....looks like it's gonna be a good weekend :waycool:

filthycute x x

Jive Brummie
3rd-December-2003, 12:19 AM
ooops!
guess i should log myself in next time eh? :sorry

filthycute x x

frodo
3rd-December-2003, 12:39 AM
I still maintain it should be non-dancer, without specifying modern jive.
Chris

Very much agree with the bit about not specifying modern jive.

However if The Tramp had used Tango Argentino (or perhaps Lindy) instead of 'modern jive' I probably would have agreed with him.

I think it is to do with the few and the many and distinctiveness.

While there are relatively few partner dancers in the general population, there are many modern jivers relative to the dance population and they don't tend to look down on other partner dances.

Tazmanian Devil
3rd-December-2003, 01:08 AM
Ah. But I had a most enjoyable dance with her at Camber (even though I was probably crap :tears: ). So I already know that she's not a muggle... :D

Naa not crap it was a nice dance except when you were leaning on the wall and leading me at the same time. What was that about???:confused: But apart from that it was a lovely dance:wink:

BTW. When you and Dan come up to Dunblane on the 19th, are you bringing Taz and theWacko for a mini-forum party? :na:

Steve

19th whats happening on the 19th?

TheTramp
3rd-December-2003, 01:37 AM
Naa not crap it was a nice dance except when you were leaning on the wall and leading me at the same time. What was that about???:confused: But apart from that it was a lovely dance:wink:

19th whats happening on the 19th? Hey. I was tired. I'm getting old you know... :(

There's a Ceroc Christmas party on the 19th in Dunblane. And Dan and Emma are DJing. And it's also my b******* (censored :D ).

Steve

Tazmanian Devil
3rd-December-2003, 01:49 AM
Hey. I was tired. I'm getting old you know... :(

There's a Ceroc Christmas party on the 19th in Dunblane. And Dan and Emma are DJing. And it's also my b******* (censored :D ).

Steve

Oh I see :rolleyes: Will chat to Emma tomorrow at charlton about that :wink: any excuse for a good dance, It's my b-day saturday will be dancing the night away myself at Hove town hall. :kiss: :hug: I must say I wouldn't of had you down as being a sagittarius :kiss:

TheTramp
3rd-December-2003, 01:51 AM
Oh I see :rolleyes: Will chat to Emma tomorrow at charlton about that :wink: any excuse for a good dance, It's my b-day saturday will be dancing the night away myself at Hove town hall. :kiss: :hug: I must say I wouldn't of had you down as being a sagittarius :kiss: Heh! Well, would be nice to see you again....

I'll try to save some energy in preparation this time though! :na:

Steve

Tazmanian Devil
3rd-December-2003, 02:12 AM
Heh! Well, would be nice to see you again....

I'll try to save some energy in preparation this time though! :na:That would be nice :wink: I thought you were bored mid dance when you started leaning on the wall mid dance!! :tears:

Tazmanian Devil
4th-December-2003, 01:45 AM
Heh! Well, would be nice to see you again....

I'll try to save some energy in preparation this time though! :na: Unfortunately not going to be able to make this one. :tears: Gutted cause I know Dan and Emma will make it a fantastic night!! :kiss: :hug:

Bardsey
4th-December-2003, 04:15 PM
I've been invited down to Newcastle for a re-opening night or something. On the 7th of Feb or something like that.
Steve Steve, is this an "invite only" thing? Newcastle if really handy for me, so I'd like to go too. How do I find out about it and possibly wangle an invite too?:blush:

Jill

TheTramp
4th-December-2003, 05:22 PM
Nope. It's not an invite only party. Tis a normal (except that I'll be there!) ceroc party (I believe).

Just that I wouldn't normally have gone down to Newcastle for a party. So they invited me.

I think there must be something good going on up here this weekend, so Franck has paid them to invite me down :D

Would be good to meet you. And have a dance or three.... Except that you'll probably be too busy trying to get a dance with James (like everyone else) :tears:

Steve

Bardsey
4th-December-2003, 05:30 PM
Nope. It's not an invite only party. Tis a normal (except that I'll be there!) ceroc party (I believe).

Would be good to meet you. And have a dance or three.... Except that you'll probably be too busy trying to get a dance with James (like everyone else) :tears:

Steve

James? Who's James....lol I'd be more than happy to have a dance or three with you Trampster (do we wear our T shirts?) Can you let me know the details, then I can get things, hotel etc, organised?

Jill

Dance Demon
4th-December-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey. I was tired. I'm getting old you know... :(

Steve

And ..if you want to make a whole weekend of a trip up here, you could come along to the Route 66 party on 20th.....and maybe Dan & Emma would like to come along too:D

TheTramp
4th-December-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
James? Who's James....lol I'd be more than happy to have a dance or three with you Trampster (do we wear our T shirts?) Can you let me know the details, then I can get things, hotel etc, organised?James and Melanie won the Intermediate at the Scottish champ. And he's young, and good looking too. (Bast'ard). :D

Umm. I have no idea on the details yet. Feb is a long time away. Have a look at their website (http://www.ceroc-newcastle.co.uk/main.html) which lists the dance, but doesn't say a lot more.

Look forward to seeing you then (if we don't meet before).

Steve

Bardsey
4th-December-2003, 06:12 PM

Look forward to seeing you then (if we don't meet before).

Steve

Great Steve, thanks for that, I'll be there.

Jill