PDA

View Full Version : Excel help - easy removal of duplicate rows

robd
29th-June-2009, 11:35 AM
Anyone point me in the direction of some advice on quick easy, deletion of duplicate rows in an Excel worksheet?

bigdjiver
29th-June-2009, 11:54 AM
in a hurry, this may help

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/search?hl=en&as_q=removing+duplicate+rows+in+excel&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=30&scoring=&lr=&sitesearch=groups.google.com&as_qdr=&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2003&as_maxd=1&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2009&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&safe=off

Gav
29th-June-2009, 12:01 PM
Anyone point me in the direction of some advice on quick easy, deletion of duplicate rows in an Excel worksheet?

Select all the data you're working with.
Go to Data - Filter - Advanced Filter.
Check the "Unique records only" box.
Click OK.
All the duplicates are now hidden; to get rid:
Go to Edit - Office Clipboard.
Select the displayed unique records and copy them.
Go to Data - Filter - Show all.
Delete it all.
Select the start cell.
Click the copied item from step 6 on the clipboard to paste it back in.

Don't forget to do this on a copy of the spreadsheet in case it goes wrong and you can't recover your deleted data.

robd
29th-June-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for suggestions so far.

This is actually for a pretty tech-unsavvy colleague. Ideally she'd just like a big 'remove Duplicates' button to press but Excel doesn't seem to have that :nice: There are some macros in the google links that look like they might do the job assuming I can get them associated to her Excel profile rather than individual worksheets.

I have used the filter method before and will see if it works for her too though some of the spreadsheets are pretty massive so memory capacity may be an issue.

azande
30th-June-2009, 12:41 AM
When I had to remove duplicates in a big excel file I always found it easier to import the file in Access and do it from there.