PDA

View Full Version : iLife 09

Lory
3rd-June-2009, 04:07 PM
Has anyone got it?

I'm thinking of buying it but want to know if its very different/better to what i've already got..i.e iPhoto and iMovie

I suppose I'm more interested in the 'movie making facilities' really, as I use Adobe anyway

Secondly, I'm tempted to download it but does that have disadvantages against buying to boxed set from the Apple shop?

Thanks guys :flower:

straycat
3rd-June-2009, 05:00 PM
What version of iMovie do you use at the moment?

Franck
3rd-June-2009, 05:11 PM
Has anyone got it?

I'm thinking of buying it but want to know if its very different/better to what i've already got..i.e iPhoto and iMovie

I suppose I'm more interested in the 'movie making facilities' really, as I use Adobe anyway

Secondly, I'm tempted to download it but does that have disadvantages against buying to boxed set from the Apple shop?

Thanks guys :flower:I recently upgraded to iLife09 and it was pretty cool!

iPhoto has loads of great new features:
- Faces, which recognizes all your family and friends and automatically creates albums for each of them is really useful and great fun to play with.

- Places, does the same with locations, so if your camera is GPS aware (like the iPhone) all your photos are automatically tagged by location, which is really cool, and a great incentive to buy a new digital camera with GPS.

I haven't had a chance to play with iMovie yet, but it is supposed to be totally re-designed.

Garage band is also incredible and I love the guitar / piano lessons taught by the artist who wrote the song. As long as your mac is recent enough, you should be able to run it.

I'm not aware of anything special in the box, though there might have been some stuff. I bought the family pack so I could share it on up to 5 computers.

Lory
3rd-June-2009, 05:26 PM
What version of iMovie do you use at the moment?

When I got my Mac, it came with iMovie 08 but my brother who's a Mac enthusiast, said they were having some major teething problems with it at the time and recommended that I uploaded the older HD version.
Its OK but has a lot of limitations

Lory
3rd-June-2009, 05:29 PM
I recently upgraded to iLife09 and it was pretty cool!
Well, on your recommendation, I'm going to go for it :-)

I haven't had a chance to play with iMovie yet, but it is supposed to be totally re-designed.I've looked at the tutorials and it seems to have covered a lot of the failings of iMovie HD and 08

Garage band is also incredible and I love the guitar / piano lessons taught by the artist who wrote the song. As long as your mac is recent enough, you should be able to run it.I've never used it :confused:

I'm not aware of anything special in the box, though there might have been some stuff. I bought the family pack so I could share it on up to 5 computers.Did you buy it in Box form or download it?

Magic Hans
3rd-June-2009, 05:48 PM
Hmmm .... not sure if I've got much of a Life at the mo, let alone an iLife

Mind you .... mabye I don't give an Iota about it anyway!

:what:

Franck
3rd-June-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, on your recommendation, I'm going to go for it :-):eek:

Did you buy it in Box form or download it?I ordered the box on the Apple Store online.

straycat
3rd-June-2009, 08:52 PM
Not entirely sure if this is too late, but...

I still don't like iMovie 09, and much prefer iMovie HD. Every so often, I try to like it, but then discover some new quirk which sends me scurrying back to HD.

To be fair, if I were to get an up-to-date machine, half my issues with it would probably go but others wouldn't (the formats it does / doesn't like etc)

To clarify on getting an up-to-date machine - one thing it would help with is speed (on a four year old G5, iMovie 09 is a bit slow), and the other is the way I've organised the machine - on a new one I'd do things differently. My startup volume is quite small, and I have all my user data on other drives. With iMovie 08, you couldn't tell it to use a volume other than your startup - with iMovie 09 you can, but then when you try to send something to iDVD, it still reverts to the startup volume, and with a large project, fails. I have yet to successfully produce a DVD with it, whereas with iMovie/iDVD HD, it was child's play. Hey ho.

Lory
3rd-June-2009, 09:06 PM
:eek:
I ordered the box on the Apple Store online.Well, I've been to the Apple store and got mine and its uploading as I type :na:

Not entirely sure if this is too late, but...

I still don't like iMovie 09, and much prefer iMovie HD. Every so often, I try to like it, but then discover some new quirk which sends me scurrying back to HD.

To be fair, if I were to get an up-to-date machine, half my issues with it would probably go

Mine's just over a year old, so it 'should' be OK but I'll let you know.

As an aside, I got chatting to a very helpful guy in the store and he recommended i download a program from the Apple site, called 'sponge'.. you get a free trial.

Basically it does a sweep and detects any unnecessary duplicates and things that you never or rarely use, to help clean up the crap.

I'm going to have a go of that too ;)

Lory
25th-June-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, I've been to the Apple store and got mine and its uploading as I type :na:

OK, I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks now and this is my brief summing up

iPhoto, as Frank says, has this amazing tool which recognises faces. You have to say who they are in a few pics, then iPhoto takes over.
It doesn't always get it right, with some funny results.. me and my sister must look much more alike than I ever imagined, as it constantly got us mixed up. It also thought my son was me a few time.. much to his absolute disgust! :rofl:
Apart from that, its much the same. No improved editing tools that i've noticed etc

iMovie 09

Well, I like it BUT its no replacement for HD. I now see it as an 'add on'

It has many many new features, which are fun and very innovative, like 'Green sheet'. If you stand someone in front of anything green, you can subtract the subject from the frame and place it in front of another background.. very clever!

But a lot of the 'old' features, like VideoFX (video effect) have vanished completely, which is a shame and a step backward IMO. :rolleyes:

To my mind if you buy it, keep the old one as well and you can always upload from one to the other, to add from each!

I'll do a more in depth review if anyone's wants but I doubt many people on here would interested, unless like me, its a bit of a hobby ;)

straycat
26th-July-2009, 08:35 PM
More to add here, and a little humble pie to eat. I needed to put up My First Youtube Movie (ta daa) - and tried doing so using the old iMovie HD. The quality of its quicktime output was, pretty rubbish - lots of distortion and tearing in the picture, so I thought I'd see how iMovie '09 coped.

Adding to that, the movie was very dark and grainy, and I needed to brighten it up, and do a couple of simple extras (titles / fade in / out)

To my surprise, I found the editing process way nicer than iMovie HD - I'm finally getting the hang of it. The videoFX seem to be added realtime now, without it having to do time-consuming renders like iMove HD did. The output quality is much nicer too. I'm beginning to be sold on this now...