PDA

View Full Version : Peroc

Indo
6th-August-2002, 08:28 PM
:confused: Hi there folks, just logged into this forum kinda thing after the webmaster guy came back from his hols.

Need some advise from some of you guys. I'm going to Paris in October and since I've been Ceroc and Salsa for the last few years I was consdering experiencing some of the dancing nightlife in the city. The only problem is that I haven't a clue where to start. Has anyone out there been to Paris doing the same thing or know where else I could go for the information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and see you all on Thursday.

Indo

John S
6th-August-2002, 10:58 PM
Hi Indo

This has come up before in this Discussion Lounge. There's a thread called "Ceroc in Germany or France", but if your system is set just to view threads in the last 60 days you'll need to change it to read the thread. If you don't know how to do that, read on.

Go to the opening page of the Discussion Lounge (the one with the titles of the threads) and below the titles you'll see a field showing that you can view threads from (eg) "last 60 days".

Use the drop-down menu to change this to "the beginning".

Scroll through the titles and (on my system at least) on Page 3 you'll find the thread "Ceroc in Germany or France"

This thread gives some useful venues and website references to find out more.

Franck
7th-August-2002, 11:49 AM
Hi Indo,

Welcome to the Forum. This subject has indeed been discussed a few months ago and as John says, there was an extensive reply in the thread "Ceroc in Germany or France " (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43)

There are no "official" Ceroc classes in France, but as its origins imply, there are plenty of clubs where something similar is taught / danced (though usually with more emphasis on footwork and arm movements).
Most forms of Jive in France will be called "Rock'n Roll". The danse-a-2.com (http://danse-a-2.com/) is probably the best out there...

Good luck,

Franck.

Alexis Beuraud
7th-August-2002, 04:50 PM
Hi

Some French people say they can dance ÒRockÕnÕrollÓ. But depending on the person, it can mean 6-beat RockÕnÕroll or 4-beat RockÕnÕroll

4-beat RockÕnÕroll is like Ceroc or Leroc, except that nobody knows how the moves are called.

6-beat RockÕnÕroll is what is usually taught in dance classes. The music is generally from the 50Õs to 70Õs (rarely modern charts like in Ceroc). Although it looks like Ceroc, you cannot mix Ceroc and 6 beat RockÕnÕroll (It leads to a disaster. I suppose you would get the same result if you try to dance salsa with a waltz dancer). So, if you ever invite someone who only knows how to dance 6 beat rockÕnÕroll, you will notice there is something wrong after a few seconds, and the best thing to do is to stop dancing before you and your partner feel very annoyed.

Unfortunately most dancers do not know there are two ways to dance RockÕnÕroll. So if you ever ask someone which one he/she is dancing, he/she may be surprised or might not understand your question

I found an interesting French page about RockÕnÕroll (they mention Ceroc) : http://www.ultradanse.com/generalites/index.php3?page=rock

Alexis

Indo
7th-August-2002, 06:33 PM
Thanks folks

I'll check out those sites later on in the week, it's good to know that the information is there when I want it.

Also going to Dublin in a couple of weeks so I'll check out the sites for that as well.

Thanks again
Indo

Will
22nd-August-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Alexis Beuraud
Although it looks like Ceroc, you cannot mix Ceroc and 6 beat RockÕnÕroll (It leads to a disaster. I suppose you would get the same result if you try to dance salsa with a waltz dancer). So, if you ever invite someone who only knows how to dance 6 beat rockÕnÕroll, you will notice there is something wrong after a few seconds, and the best thing to do is to stop dancing before you and your partner feel very annoyed.

Unfortunately most dancers do not know there are two ways to dance RockÕnÕroll. So if you ever ask someone which one he/she is dancing, he/she may be surprised or might not understand your question

Tell me about it!

I was working in Paris for a week earlier this year, so I searched the internet and came across the dance-a-deux website. Through that I found a venue (CitŽ Universitaire sp?). I went along, thought it looked a bit odd, but tried it anyway. What a disaster! Couldn't dance with anyone! I even tried the teacher thinking that I'd just been unlucky and had bad partners up till then. Dancing with the teacher was a nightmare too, then she explained to me in very broken English that I was trying to dance 4-beat whilst they were all doing 6-beat. (Ironic as I was trying to talk in English whilst they were all talking French :D )

Eventually, I found a girl I could dance with, and it turned out that she'd spent 3 months in London doing Ceroc at the Jive Bar, luckily for me...