PDA

View Full Version : Does christmas come too early ?

stewart38
26th-November-2003, 06:24 PM
My partner wants to put her christmas tree up this weekend,we are still in November !

The first christmas cards are in the shops in August

Does it matter ?

Is christmas coming earlier and earlier each yr ?

Merry christmas every body :sick:

:confused:

Jive Brummie
26th-November-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by stewart38

Yes.........

DavidB
26th-November-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
Is christmas coming earlier and earlier each yr ? I think it has settled down over the last couple of years - about mid-November when all the TV ads start and the Oxford Street lights go on. Always thought it should be December before putting anything up at home.

The first christmas cards are in the shops in AugustBut if you wanted to post cards abroad, the surface mail cut off date is 2 October for some countries, and today (26 Nov) for anywhere outside Western Europe.

However, being a typical man, I'll do all my Christmas shopping on 24 Dec...

Lynn
26th-November-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I've never quite understood the whole 'men shopping on Christmas Eve' thing - why? All the extra hassle, crowds, pressure to buy something, anything, to take home and hurriedly wrap... But I have yet to meet a man who doesn't do this. I guess its just one of those 'men' things... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not that I've done any Christmas shopping yet myself, but then it is still November! (Though does Christmas shopping constitute shopping for gifts or general shopping for Christmas activities? If the latter then I have been busy, party outfits at the ready!)

xSalsa_Angelx
26th-November-2003, 08:13 PM
Yep definately too early,
My mums next door neighbours house looks like the Light fairy has been.

The guy has all weird crap, like santa and a sleigh on his roof and dancing snowmen that sing in his garden, flasshy lights all over the windows and along the garage,
Looks so tacky.

And the men on xmas shopping thing? never understood that either/??

My b/f will take me out xmas eve, say what do you want darling? when i finally pick what i want, he will say no your not getting it till tomorrow, wrap it up and shove it under the tree.

Spoils the surprise for the next morning ... whats the point in getting outta bed for?? only another day :rofl:

Lorna
26th-November-2003, 09:35 PM
Bah Humbug! to you all.

I love Christmas and there was nothing I enjoyed more as a child than the big build up to Christmas. It's such a magical time of year. Now I have a wee one, I am just enjoying it all over again.
Mind you, I don't have a tree up yet, will wait another week or two.

lotsa love Lorna x-x

Dreadful Scathe
26th-November-2003, 11:06 PM
I can understand shops geting earlier and earlier with decorations etc.. as they are trying to compete with each other. For the home though the general rule seems to be you put the decorations up 12 days before (or closer still if you dont have time), anyone who puts up decorations sooner than that is frankly quite strange in my book :).

Christmas has changed though, it now pretty much is a gift giving and family orientated holiday and not a religious event for the majority of people... in this country at least. Kind of ironic since it was originally a pagan holiday in the first place. :). Theres a cue for someone to start a new thread on religious holidays :). I would but Im busy :).

Claire
26th-November-2003, 11:56 PM
Happy Easter!
:wink:

Lynn
27th-November-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Claire
Happy Easter!

Also with traditions drawn from a pagan festival...

I celebrate the Christian element of Christmas, but also enjoy the twinkly lights, parties, mince pies and time for family and friends.

I agree, if it starts too early it loses something of the 'special' feeling. An early Christmas season is really a commerical tactic to get us to spend more money by extending the length of time we shop for Christmas.

Will
27th-November-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
I celebrate the Christian element of Christmas, but also enjoy the twinkly lights, parties, mince pies and time for family and friends.

I agree, if it starts too early it loses something of the 'special' feeling. An early Christmas season is really a commerical tactic to get us to spend more money by extending the length of time we shop for Christmas.
Here Here to all of this!!!

Like DavidB, I'll be in the shopping mauls in my lunch break on Christmas Eve!

(Don't forget to buy me a pressie David!)

Graham
27th-November-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Will
Here Here to all of this!!! AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!! When will the English learn to speak (spell) their own language???? It's HEAR HEAR. As in "Hey everyone, HEAR what this guy's saying - it's really good".

Originally posted by Will
Like DavidB, I'll be in the shopping mauls in my lunch break on Christmas Eve! If David had made that pun I'd have believed it was deliberate. :wink:

Stuart M
27th-November-2003, 02:42 PM
For those driven mad by rampant modern consumerism, you could join in with Buy Nothing Day (http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/) on Saturday as a combination protest/self therapy thing.

Personally, hearing Christmas mentioned before 1st December makes me wince. Not particularly because it's too early, it just reminds me that soon I'll be hearing that Godawful "Stop the Cavalry" in every shop I walk into :sick: Slade I can just about take, but not Jona Lewie's oompah nightmare whatever its good sentiments...

Forte
27th-November-2003, 03:00 PM
I think the tv Christmas adverts started later this year...still too early though. I think this week onwards is OK. I was at my friends for a pizza last night and she had her tree up. It was seven foot tall and stunningly decorated...it looked magnificent in her larger Victorian room size. It did take me by surprise though - a tree this early. She said she had her nephew to visit last weeekend and she had to entertain him and thought oh well there's three hours entertainment decorating the tree...:rofl: I wait until there is a twenty in the date before I put mine up. I do have several Christmas presents wrapped already though...card writing takes ages...better start that next week. PM me your address if you want a real one and not a virtual one!:grin:

Graham
27th-November-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Forte
PM me your address if you want a real one and not a virtual one!:grin: Nice try, Jackie, but don't think I'm falling for that one and have you turning up on my doorstep over the festive period demanding figgy pudding, etc. :wink:

Forte
27th-November-2003, 04:36 PM
Hee hee! That's me down at the soup kitchen again... You Scrooge you!:eek:

Pammy
27th-November-2003, 05:08 PM
do you think they'll bother printing a tv guide for this xmas? Afterall, we all know it's going to be:-

The Wizard of Oz
It's a Wonderful Life
The Quiet Man
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
Chariots of Fire
Ben Hur
The Ten Commandments

TheTramp
27th-November-2003, 05:13 PM
You forgot 'The Sound of Music' and 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'.

Steve

Forte
27th-November-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp

Steve

Ooooh! That child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang bang is sooo scary!!!:eek:

Lynn
28th-November-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp

Steve

And 'The Great Escape'

Divissima
28th-November-2003, 01:53 AM
It's my firm's Christmas party tomorrow night - seems very early to me :confused:

Lory
28th-November-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
do you think they'll bother printing a tv guide for this xmas? Afterall, we all know it's going to be:-

The Wizard of Oz
It's a Wonderful Life
The Quiet Man
Chariots of Fire
Ben Hur
The Ten Commandments
Maybe The Guns of Naverone, (spelling?) mind you, they sometimes save that for 'Mothers Day' :mad:

thewacko
28th-November-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

:devil: but only if there is a shell garage open in the close proximity of the local pub:rofl: :rofl:

thewacko
28th-November-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M

Personally, hearing Christmas mentioned before 1st December makes me wince. Not particularly because it's too early, it just reminds me that soon I'll be hearing that Godawful "Stop the Cavalry" in every shop I walk into :sick: Slade I can just about take, but not Jona Lewie's oompah nightmare whatever its good sentiments...

hear hear!

And lets face it SLADE will never die :cheers:
:rofl: :rofl:

Lynn
28th-November-2003, 07:40 PM
First Christmas card arrived in the post yesterday...!

Neil
28th-November-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by thewacko
but only if there is a shell garage open in the close proximity of the local pub thewacko, a word of warning: not all women consider a can of de-icer to be the perfect Xmas gift, no matter how nicely wrapped. I have also found that repeating "but it's the thought that counts" ad nauseam will do you no good whatsoever :devil:.

Neil

thewacko
1st-December-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Neil
thewacko, a word of warning: not all women consider a can of de-icer to be the perfect Xmas gift, no matter how nicely wrapped. I have also found that repeating "but it's the thought that counts" ad nauseam will do you no good whatsoever :devil:.

Neil

so thats where I've been going wrong all these years:rofl: :rofl:

Pammy
1st-December-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Stuart M
soon I'll be hearing that Godawful "Stop the Cavalry" in every shop I walk into :sick:

Friday Night; Rickmansworth Victorian Night; lots and lots of orange fish floating around in childrens hands; I was confused, didn't know which way to turn.... and then... then..... then....

the music started; yep, your favourite song :tears:

Px

stewart38
1st-December-2003, 11:56 AM

The Wizard of Oz
It's a Wonderful Life
The Quiet Man
Chariots of Fire
Ben Hur
The Ten Commandments

Its a wonderful life my favorite 'Christmas film'. With a great quote "George at lot of people don't like me but I don't like them so that makes us even".

Re shopping on Christmas eve, one year I found out shops close at cira 4pm so as I headed of to do my Christmas shopping at 5pm on Christmas eve I found very little open.

I had to give my sisters birthday present (birthday 27th Dec)as a
Christmas present and get her another birthday present on the 27th.

:blush:

Pammy
1st-December-2003, 02:42 PM
Some things have changed over the years; when I was a kid, it was always Grizzly Adams, or Swiss Family Robinson at xmas, nowadays they seem to have dropped them off the hit list.

Phew!

Px

stewart38
1st-December-2003, 02:59 PM
We never had a TV when I was a kid :sad:

We had two :sick:

Some things have changed over the years; when I was a kid, it was always Grizzly Adams, .

Phew!

Px

Apparently you shouldn't fight a bear but play dead.

Wasn't it Grizzly Adams who use to fight a rogue bear in stream when he/bear was looking for salmon and his friend bear came along and helped in ?

What about Star Trek (The original) that was on everyday some Christmas past

Lynn
17th-November-2005, 12:13 AM
I know the shops have been getting ready for a while (though it doesn't always have the desired effect - the other day when Christmas music came on in a shop where I was 'browsing' I headed straight for the exit! Its still November!) but on the way home from salsa last night I noticed my neighbours have Christmas lights up round their window already. I couldn't see if they have a tree up yet. Anyone else seen people's houses with decorations up already?

stewart38
17th-November-2005, 12:49 AM
My partner wants to put her christmas tree up this weekend,we are still in November !

The first christmas cards are in the shops in August

Does it matter ?

Merry christmas every body :sick:

:confused:

this thread is two years old :sad:

my old partner :tears: :tears:

Lynn
17th-November-2005, 01:01 PM

my old partner :tears: :tears: :hug:
Yes but if I had started a seperate thread some forum pedant would have pointed out my error, didn't I know there was already a thread about this somewhere etc.:whistle:

LMC
17th-November-2005, 01:30 PM
Anyone else seen people's houses with decorations up already?
Stevenage is chav central - the decorations around houses in my area are hilariously bad taste - it's shockingly competitive where I live. The tree-hugging hippy side of me is outraged at the waste of electricity, the sour Christmas-hating side of me gets p***ed off with the tabloid newspapers for glorifying the over-the-top lights etc and the rest of me just wishes it was February NOW, because then it would all be over...

Am I evil for always wanting to stick a pin in the 6 feet inflatable snowmen or Santas in people's front gardens? (actually last year it would have been an accidental brush with a lighted cigarette *cough*)

cheeks
17th-November-2005, 01:41 PM
I know the shops have been getting ready for a while (though it doesn't always have the desired effect - the other day when Christmas music came on in a shop where I was 'browsing' I headed straight for the exit! Its still November!) but on the way home from salsa last night I noticed my neighbours have Christmas lights up round their window already. I couldn't see if they have a tree up yet. Anyone else seen people's houses with decorations up already?

I know its really scary....have picked up one or two small things when in shops for Christmas but nothing compared to what needs to be purchased for 4 kids....but I keep saying to myself not a problem only November....:whistle:

Only to drive past 2 houses covered in lights,excessive (lit) garden decorations, lights on every window on the front of each house(semi detached 4 front windows) ,tree in window and garden of both....In November Why? :really:

The sad thing is even my 9 year old asked why they had there decorations up when Santa doesn't come til December

Dorothy
17th-November-2005, 01:49 PM
I was driving through Glasgow last week and saw at least 5 windows with xmas lights flashing. 2 months early is ridiculous don't you think?

dee
17th-November-2005, 02:23 PM
Am I evil for always wanting to stick a pin in the 6 feet inflatable snowmen or Santas in people's front gardens? (actually last year it would have been an accidental brush with a lighted cigarette *cough*)

{Evil mode}

Maybe we can push the 3 wheeler over the inflatables, but guess santa may just win :devil:

dee
17th-November-2005, 02:24 PM

my old partner :tears: :tears:

There, there Stew :hug: :hug: put your head on my breast and let me make you feel better :devil: would you like some cheesecake?? plenty to offer :drool:

Stuart
17th-November-2005, 04:04 PM
Happy Easter!

My local Tescos has had Hot Cross Buns in stock for a couple of weeks now!

stewart38
17th-November-2005, 04:57 PM
I was driving through Glasgow last week and saw at least 5 windows with xmas lights flashing. 2 months early is ridiculous don't you think?

well thats would be cira 10th November , now christmas falls on the 25th december this year not the 10th of January

Now if you exaggerate again santa wont bring you any pressies :whistle:

Lou
17th-November-2005, 08:27 PM

Now that's what I call Christmas starting early!

Stuart
17th-November-2005, 09:36 PM
Stevenage is chav central - the decorations around houses in my area are hilariously bad taste - it's shockingly competitive where I live. The tree-hugging hippy side of me is outraged at the waste of electricity, the sour Christmas-hating side of me gets p***ed off with the tabloid newspapers for glorifying the over-the-top lights etc and the rest of me just wishes it was February NOW, because then it would all be over...

Some people down my way have resorted to desperate measures:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/4426732.stm

Icey
29th-November-2005, 06:43 PM
The first lot of lights have gone up on my road and they are (IMO) hideous :mad: A santa hanging off the guttering, reindeers on the roof and what looks like flashing disco lights chasing around the windows.

Bah Humbug! And it's not even December yet.

under par
29th-November-2005, 06:49 PM
Does christmas come too early ?:sick:

I think it is not so much of come too early as come too often could we not make it every 5 years or maybe 7 make it something "special" something to look forward to! :yeah:

I dread it...:eek:

dee
29th-November-2005, 08:03 PM
Does christmas come too early ?:sick:

I think it is not so much of come too early as come too often could we not make it every 5 years or maybe 7 make it something "special" something to look forward to! :yeah:

I dread it...:eek:

Now you are talking!!! that would be great, not sure if my kids would agree but i love the idea :clap:

Lynn
29th-November-2005, 10:58 PM
Bah Humbug! And it's not even December yet.Careful, you'll get negative rep from Father Christmas talking like that. Or turn into DJ.

I'm going to a Christmas Dinner Dance this Friday. A muggle event, but there will be some MJers there. So I think I will perhaps start to think about getting into the Christmas mood on Fri afternoon. Still feels very early though.

Icey
29th-November-2005, 11:08 PM
Careful, you'll get negative rep from Father Christmas talking like that. Or turn into DJ.

:rofl: Likely! :rofl: I'm far too cheerful :D

David Bailey
29th-November-2005, 11:11 PM
:rofl: Likely! :rofl: I'm far too cheerful :D
What, you're too cheerful to be Santa? :innocent:

Icey
29th-November-2005, 11:23 PM
DJ, you're the self confessed grumpy git. I know I'll never match you.

dee
30th-November-2005, 12:37 AM
DJ, you're the self confessed grumpy git. I know I'll never match you.

I never said it this time :innocent:

Stuart
1st-December-2005, 08:29 AM
The first lot of lights have gone up on my road and they are (IMO) hideous :mad: A santa hanging off the guttering, reindeers on the roof and what looks like flashing disco lights chasing around the windows.

Bah Humbug! And it's not even December yet.

Coming home from my evening class last night I spotted two houses bedecked with hideous christmas decorations.

WittyBird
1st-December-2005, 09:29 AM
I never said it this time :innocent:

Still 8 @ christmas??? :rofl:

Lynn
1st-December-2005, 11:12 AM
First Christmas card yesterday!

(OK, it was from a friend who left the UK to move to S America on Monday, so I guess she had good reason to post early!)

KatieR
1st-December-2005, 12:03 PM
Is it wrong to not send Christmas cards at all?

Lynn
1st-December-2005, 12:35 PM
Is it wrong to not send Christmas cards at all?No, why should it be?

To be honest, sending lots of cards to people you are going to be seeing a lot near to Christmas seems a bit pointless to me anyway. Sending to people overseas, or who you don't see but want to send greetings to makes much more sense.

KatieR
1st-December-2005, 12:45 PM
No, why should it be?

To be honest, sending lots of cards to people you are going to be seeing a lot near to Christmas seems a bit pointless to me anyway. Sending to people overseas, or who you don't see but want to send greetings to makes much more sense.

I will send cards to my family in Australia, and I always give something small to those close to me, but Christmas in my opinion has become too commercialised.

I would much rather go up to a person, give them a huge hug and say thanks for being my friend, and all the support you have given me over the last 12 months, and I appreciate you. (Although this can be done at any time, not just at Christmas).

Lynn
1st-December-2005, 01:06 PM
I would much rather go up to a person, give them a huge hug and say thanks for being my friend, and all the support you have given me over the last 12 months, and I appreciate you. (Although this can be done at any time, not just at Christmas). :yeah:

And I think most people would prefer a hug than a card.

Though it is lovely to get and send cards, they can be kept and treasured (esp if from loved ones no longer with us). But not just because its 'expected' at Christmas.

Piglet
1st-December-2005, 11:57 PM
Anyone else seen people's houses with decorations up already?
Oh yeah! There were at least 4 houses in my area of Aberdeen with Chrimbo decorations shining out of their windows this time last week. I've seen another 4 since!