PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujahs, love them or hate them…can you live without them?

DundeeDancer
23rd-April-2009, 02:19 PM
I would say my dancing is continuing to improve but within the last 6 months or so I’ve been sneered at quite a few times for using hallelujahs while doing freestyle :sick:

I can see the point that they are a really cheesy move but to me they are one move that let you get some composer into the dance before the wrestling starts again.

So to me they are an essential move, on a par with the first move and octopus.

What are other peoples thoughts?

DD.

Gav
23rd-April-2009, 02:30 PM
I would say my dancing is continuing to improve but within the last 6 months or so I’ve been sneered at quite a few times for using hallelujahs while doing freestyle :sick:

I can see the point that they are a really cheesy move but to me they are one move that let you get some composer into the dance before the wrestling starts again.

You know those people that sneer at you? Fek 'em!

Seriously, do what you like. I dropped Hallelujahs ASAP, but that was my choice. Almost all of my moves are basic ones or variations of and if anyone wants to sneer at me, they're welcome to because I don't give a t0ss.

:hug:

DavidB
23rd-April-2009, 03:22 PM
Just say you are doing a stylized variation of a sugar push, and people will think you are an expert.

CheesyRobMan
23rd-April-2009, 04:17 PM
I do slow wiggly hallelujahs in blues and no one seems to mind.

thainmaggiet
23rd-April-2009, 04:48 PM

DD.

Dance whatever way you want!! How dare anyone think they have the right to sneer at another dancer!:mad:

martingold
23rd-April-2009, 04:50 PM
do what you like. I dropped Hallelujahs ASAP, but that was my choice. Almost all of my moves are basic ones or variations of and if anyone wants to sneer at me, they're welcome to because I don't give a t0ss.

:hug:

Just say you are doing a stylized variation of a sugar push, and people will think you are an expert.:rofl:

:yeah:

three variations on what to do
all the same and all completely correct
and this last quote from gav is absolutely right

You know those people that sneer at you? Fek 'em!

Trousers
23rd-April-2009, 05:22 PM
I do them.
I wouldn't go quite so far as CRM and say they were stylised.
But I like them.

However I do them slow - at a suitably slow piece of music and when I finish I keep the girl close, wriggle a little and wait for the right moment to kick it back off. There are a lot of women that are out of their comfort zone with that but hey there are a lot that like it!

Personally if you do the hand part over one beat it just looks like you were too embarrassed to do the move properly.

sunnybunny
23rd-April-2009, 06:11 PM

Sorry CRM, but these are the ones that I particularly dislike - especially when they are accompanied by a leery grin - yuk :(

(certainly not inplying that CRM grins leerily, of course :blush:)

Double Trouble
23rd-April-2009, 07:23 PM

I don't mind a cheeky bluesy hallelujah now and then. I'd rather a hallelujah than a pretzel and time.

Agente Secreto
23rd-April-2009, 07:39 PM
Almost never use them myself, but like others say if they work for you carry on with them and to hell with those that sneer.

Agent 000
Licensed to Dance

drathzel
25th-April-2009, 01:49 PM
Sorry CRM, but these are the ones that I particularly dislike - especially when they are accompanied by a leery grin - yuk :(

He certainly doesnt! But i do remember a time when the hallelujahs werent so slow or wiggly! :wink:

Maxine
25th-April-2009, 02:28 PM

DD.

I have no objections to the hallelujah personally I prefer them slow with some nice wiggles if appropriate. I think likes and dislikes to moves are personal, I don’t particularly like pretzels and hate tunnels but would never sneer at someone for using them. I appreciate how hard it is to think of what to do next when leading, as I do lead myself sometimes and that often you fall into a series of moves because it just comes naturally. On reflection I think it is plain rude to sneer, but hopefully it’s just a perceived sneer.

Can’t agree with that Sunnybunny, as any grin is better than a blank uninterested face any day

Lory
25th-April-2009, 02:40 PM
I think Hallelujahs are great, especially if they're done with the appropriate style and attitude to fit with the music, whether that be cheesiness OR passion!:wink:

Can’t agree with that Sunnybunny, as any grin is better than a blank uninterested face any day:yeah: Absolutely!

jim
26th-April-2009, 10:37 PM
I actually know what you mean, they seem to of got a bad rep from somewhere.

I mean it's very hard to do them well, but even somtimes when I've done them just as a joke, just to try and get a smile; I have sensed some followers 'righting them off'' if you know what I mean. It feels as if there looking at you, like your wearing last years fashion. It's a bit odd?

Maxine
27th-April-2009, 08:45 AM
At Berko last night there were about 3 guys all good dances who threw in an appropriately placed hallelujah and I must say there was no sharp intake of breath in shock and horror, it was just good fun

Trousers
27th-April-2009, 09:00 AM
If you want a move that is completely rubbish and should be excised from all record it's. . . . . .

. . . . . . . .Side to Side bloody shoulders

Come on, someone say something remotely good about that move!

marcusj
27th-April-2009, 12:39 PM
Try from normal handhold (L-R, R-L) rather than accordian handhold, take your hands up and down really fast on half a beat and stop and stay when arms are fully down, creates a minimum of half a beat for a pause before you do what you want next ... very dramatic ... can fancy up by bending right leg and extending left leg foot tango style ... giving away my trade secrets here

Clueless
27th-April-2009, 12:54 PM
I chuck them in here and there but I do give warning saying were going for a super cheesy move, but it has to be cheesy music.

If you want a move that is completely rubbish and should be excised from all record it's. . . . . .

It can set you up for a lean, I do them very occasionally but they are fun and 9/10 they raise a smile. If you put enough enthusiasm into the move (granted it might not look good) but it makes ppl smile, I like to 'jazz' it up with a right handed finger click :wink:

Lory
27th-April-2009, 01:24 PM
Side to Side bloody shoulders

Its great if the guys got really bad breath, gives one the opportunity to take a huge gulp of fresh air! :D

No seriously, any move can look naff or really cool but it all depends how its done
But I agree, some moves need to be 'styled to the max' :waycool: or they're in serious danger of looking like Morris dancing! :rofl:

jim
27th-April-2009, 07:16 PM

Ok:flower:. It's really good for interputing the constant rotation and giving the ladies head a chance to stop spinning.

Also it's the only ligitimate way to get a full on Jhon Travolta, staturday night fever, finger point going on. :waycool::lol:

SteveW
27th-April-2009, 10:15 PM
Also it's the only ligitimate way to get a full on Jhon Travolta, staturday night fever, finger point going on. :waycool::lol:

As a 'side-to-sider', I know it's cheesy and I know I'm usually half a beat out but as previously stated it gives a break from the rotation and is good recovery for over extension.

However, after reading this post I immediately practiced the above 'variation' at work with my normal imaginary partner (can anyone tell me if Charlize Theron actually does Ceroc?) and we both fell about laughing.

I can't wait 'til Thursday. :nice:

Danny
28th-April-2009, 02:47 AM
Ok, women, you need to compile a list of moves never to do. In this thread alone there's the Hallelujah, Side to Side and Pretzel ... any more?

I do all 3 and you're mercilessly cutting my library of moves here.

Agente Secreto
28th-April-2009, 08:48 AM
Ok, women, you need to compile a list of moves never to do. In this thread alone there's the Hallelujah, Side to Side and Pretzel ... any more?

Danny

Why not start another thread?

Maxine
28th-April-2009, 08:52 AM

You’ll probably find out that every move will be on the banned list as we all probably dislike or prefer different things. Just dance we will survive the odd move that we don’t like

Gav
28th-April-2009, 08:53 AM

:eek: Don't go there Danny!

If everyone on here posts the moves they don't like and you listen to it, you'll just be standing still holding hands. :D

Everyone has moves they don't like, but unless they're dangerous most ladies don't really mind that much.

Edit: See, Maxine said so while I was posting this!

Lory
28th-April-2009, 09:16 AM
Why not start another thread?

:eek: Don't go there Danny!

Too late, I think there's one already on here somewhere!

Battlecat
28th-April-2009, 12:49 PM
You’ll probably find out that every move will be on the banned list as we all probably dislike or prefer different things. Just dance we will survive the odd move that we don’t like

:yeah:

Although there are moves I don't like, for the most part I don't really notice as I am too busy following the next one and I would never say to someone that I didn't like the move as the dance is a partnership.

Also the same move by a different lead can be competely different depending on mood, music etc.

As Maxine said we will survive.:flower:

DavidY
28th-April-2009, 11:26 PM
Too late, I think there's one already on here somewhere!Here's one (probably not the only one):
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5525

and it has a more cheery counterpart:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5528

Astro
29th-April-2009, 12:37 PM
. . .Side to Side bloody shoulders

Some leads seem to think they are supposed to bang hard into my arm. It's supposed to be only a very light touch, no need to be bloody painful.

BTW what is a Hallelujah? :confused::confused::confused:

Clueless
29th-April-2009, 12:45 PM
Some leads seem to think they are supposed to bang hard into my arm. It's supposed to be only a very light touch, no need to be bloody painful.

BTW what is a Hallelujah? :confused::confused::confused:

I try my best not to bang but I do try to get compression/presure to bounce off.

Gadget
29th-April-2009, 01:37 PM
The side-to-side shoulders with a slide across exit is about the easiest way to get to a R-L hand hold {it confuses most followers and lets me do left handed moves.}

Halleluja - is basically going from a crossed hand hold into a parallel hand hold by raising both arms in big 'shine' circles. I think it's a good introduction to leading from wrists/arms rather than hands/fingers. I think I probably use a half-halleluja (only one hand arcs) more often.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the in-and-out : scarily I find myself using this quite a bit :what: {too much WCS sugar-pushing :blerg:}

gamebird
29th-April-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't mind a Hallelujah -as long as there's some form of eye-contact. Iused to dance with someone who would stare over your shoulder which always left me thinking he'd rather be anywhere else!

I also like the Hallelujah freeze (I think) that I was taught. Pretty much the same as the normal one butwith a bit of a dramatic pause while hands are held high and a slow controlled bringing them down and round, with some resistance in the arms - cool, moody and often slightly closer than usual :grin:

Astro
1st-May-2009, 02:40 PM
Halleluja - is basically going from a crossed hand hold into a parallel hand hold by raising both arms in big 'shine' circles. I think it's a good introduction to leading from wrists/arms rather than hands/fingers. I think I probably use a half-halleluja (only one hand arcs) more often.

:doh: Realised what Halleluja are, now you have described them.

I really like Hallelujas :grin: